• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

George R.R. Martin & Kalinda Vazquez Developing Adaptation Of Roger Zelazny’s Sci-Fi Novel ‘Roadmarks’ At HBO

Everett Collection / Del Rey EXCLUSIVE: George R.R. Martin is bringing more dragons to HBO. The Game of Thrones creator is exec producing a TV adaptation of Roadmarks from sci-fi novelist Roger Zelazny, which is development at the WarnerMedia cable network. The adaptation comes from Kalinda...
George R.R. Martin is bringing more dragons to HBO.

The Game of Thrones creator is exec producing a TV adaptation of Roadmarks from sci-fi novelist Roger Zelazny, which is development at the WarnerMedia cable network.

The adaptation comes from Kalinda Vazquez, who has written on Star Trek: Discovery and was a co-exec producer on Fear The Walking Dead. Vazquez, who was named after a character from the original Star Trek TV series, will write, exec produce and showrun the adaptation.
The book was written in the late 1970s and published by Del Rey in 1979. It is about a highway that can travel through time, linking all timelines and places together for the very special people who discover it. Some might use it to explore the vast mysteries of the world, but for others…the road might be their only hope to survive, rewrite life-altering mistakes, and create a better future for themselves and the ones they love.

The Road was created by the Dragons of Bel'kwinith and no one knows who they are or why they made it.

Martin is friends with Zelazny, having met him at a writer's workshop in Bloomington, Indiana in the mid '70s before becoming closer when he moved to Santa Fe. In a memoriam for Zelazny, who passed away in 1995, Martin said he was a kind and generous man who lent him money when he was broke.

Vince Gerardis, a co-exec producer of Game of Thrones and exec producer on the upcoming House of the Dragon, will also exec produce alongside Martin and Vazquez.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Is this guy ever going to finish what he started with his books? Or is he just going to keep on taking more projects to give people excuse he isn't going to finish?

Anyway... never heard of Roadmarks before but the premise sounds interesting

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least he is keeping busy these days

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So now the order in which some of the longer lasting works will be finished is One Piece > Berserk > HxH > ASOIAF.... The premise to the book/show is cool though.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
4yljfi.jpg

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Is this guy ever going to finish what he started with his books? Or is he just going to keep on taking more projects to give people excuse he isn't going to finish?

I think it's obvious at this point he's not really interested in finishing them and probably thinks the juice has run dry due to how the series ended, but I don't think he's ready to 100% commit to saying to himself and the fans that he's done with it.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
His heart hasn't been into writing his books for a long time. He's old. Let him do his passion projects. The remaining books will be ghost written and published when he passes.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
My heart drops any time I see GRRM in the title of a new thread. I'm not sure if it's excitement or dread. But it always flutters a bit.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017

"I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it."

George RR Martin from his pitch letter for Game of Thrones.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Never even heard of this, but sounds interesting. Yeah I wish he'd finish Winds as much as everyone else but it is what it is. Hopefully the more he does these other projects, the more he feels refreshed to get back to Winds of Winter.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
He should watch that episode of Spongebob when he has to write his essay. It might lead to some inner reflection.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
If I was Goerge, I'd quit GoT too if my baby was mutilated in front of hundreds of millions.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
hahaha

I've already made my peace with ASOIAF likely never getting finished. Good for him tho.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to that fantasy book that was written by a black woman that GRRM was reported to have been developing with HBO?

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Well, there goes the chance that his next novel and Elden Ring ever getting released this year.....

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Tbf Amber was a huge inspiration for ASOIAF and he was friends with Zelazny. Dont blame him for jumping on the opportunity but FFS get Winds out first

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to that fantasy book that was written by a black woman that GRRM was reported to have been developing with HBO?
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor? That was optioned a few years back but Tessa Thompson's production company recently backed it financially.

brittlepaper.com

Tessa Thompson to Executive Produce HBO Adaptation of Who Fears Death

Some updates on the HBO adaptation of Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death! Okorafor's award-winning fantasy novel was optioned by HBO for a television series in 2017 with George R.R. Martin as an executive producer. Fans have since been waiting patiently for what promises to be a visual feast. Wh

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
GRRM is exec producing, and this isn't GOT. I doubt he's very involved.

But the only reason it had a chance to be mutilated in the first place is that he hasn't finished a book since the show started airing.

They already mutilated books 3-5, and they didn't really care about anything past book 3. The show crashed mostly thanks to D&D.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
it's obvious he enjoys doing anything but finishing series, as a fellow procrastinator myself i can relate but come on dude lol

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Where are all those people in the last GRRM thread that were berating me for saying he is too distracted and doing other things and not just "stuck working hard?"

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Would have preferred to see Lord of Light adapted. It's one of Zelazny's most accomplished works, and a great self contained science fiction story.

81scDtjl1PL.jpg

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You know, as pessimistic as I am about him finishing the books, I expected 2022 was extremely likely. Almost two years largely trapped inside! I am a clown.

If it wasn't extremely clear GRRM has no intention of ever finishing those books, being stuck inside during a pandemic for a straight year and STILL no book would put the nail in it, yeah