• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

Disney's Onyx Collective has ordered the four-part limited docuseries Gigante from Don Francisco (Mario Kreutzberger, Sabado Gigante) and Mucho Mucho Amor: The Legend of Walter Mercado filmmakers Alex Fumero and Kareem Tabsch. Gigante will be streamed exclusively on Hulu in the U.S., Star+ in Latin America, and Disney+ in all other territories at a future date.

Spanning through four distinct eras in U.S. Latino history, Gigante tells the story of how immigrants from different Latin American countries created a tenuous alliance that would come to harness the social capital, economic prowess, and political influence that forever changed the United States. With the unfettered participation of Don Francisco, access to 53 years of Sabado Gigante archives, and interviews with A-list celebrities, Gigante explores how the longest-running variety show in the history of television helped shape a new demographic and became a political force.

Emmy Award-winner Don Francisco is the creator and star of Sabado Gigante, the iconic Spanish-language game show that ran for 53 seasons on Univision earning the Guinness World Record for longest-running variety program.

"I'm at a time in my life where it is more interesting looking backward," shared Don Francisco. "Where I have the full perspective of not only my 60 years as a professional but also where I'm able to fully analyze Don Francisco and Sabado Gigante's record-breaking run and what it meant to so many people. I'm beyond happy to have the opportunity to tell the story with this amazing team and thankful to Onyx for helping us bring our show to a brand new audience."

News is a few days old, but couldn't find a thread.

I will absolutely watch this.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
1c8h.gif

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017

Laura Landaeta reports that the fame of "changing gender for favors and gifts" was won in the 1980s, but in August 1994 she was before justice for the Mexican Model Ana Isabel Gómez .

Univisión alarms were lit at that time and achieved a "silent agreement in exchange for thousands of greenbacks". The lawsuit, however, reports that the entertainer attempted to rape her in March 1989 at one of the Sheraton hotels in Miami.

The Argentine singer Nanci Guerrero also accused Kreutzberger of "wrong behavior." In fact, she did not allow him any contacts like caresses or kisses in Miami, so "she was rejected and persecuted by the animator."

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
On a slightly more serious note, Don Francisco is basically a kingmaker (or was, even though he still has considerable influence) behind the scenes in Chilean television. I mean, being the most famous Chilean presenter of all time has its perks, of course.

Back when I was a kid during the 90s, my parents hated the famous Univision version of Sábado Gigante and I didn't really understand why. I mean, we still watched it every once in a while (it was still broadcast here in Chile, obviously) but my parents were quickly bored. A little while later I understood: for decades, before Don Francisco became a Miami household name, he presented the Chilean/local version of the show, called Sábados Gigantes (plural) and, despite being more or less the same show with the same dynamic, it was markedly different in terms of feel. They felt the Univision one was evidently geared towards the US Latin/Mexico audience, losing its local flavor completely - different idiosyncracies, different tone, different cultures. So they were bored by something that wasn't "for" them.

I mean... we Latinamerican people aren't a monolith. I think that was one of the earliest moments in my life I saw that clearly.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
On a slightly more serious note, Don Francisco is basically a kingmaker (or was, even though he still has considerable influence) behind the scenes in Chilean television. I mean, being the most famous Chilean presenter of all time has its perks, of course.

Back when I was a kid during the 90s, my parents hated the famous Univision version of Sábado Gigante and I didn't really understand why. I mean, we still watched it every once in a while (it was still broadcast here in Chile, obviously) but my parents were quickly bored. A little while later I understood: for decades, before Don Francisco became a Miami household name, he presented the Chilean/local version of the show, called Sábados Gigantes (plural) and, despite being more or less the same show with the same dynamic, it was markedly different in terms of feel. They felt the Univision one was evidently geared towards the US Latin/Mexico audience, losing its local flavor completely - different idiosyncracies, different tone, different cultures. So they were bored by something that wasn't "for" them.

I mean... we Latinamerican people aren't a monolith. I think that was one of the earliest moments in my life I saw that clearly.
Certainly an interesting perspective as I used to watch the show in DR and here in the states as I grew up. I always found it comforting that I'd meet many different Latinos growing up but all shared similar experiences of watching Sabado Gigante with their parents. Idk if that plays into the whole monolith thing but the greater NYC Latino community has been instrumental for me growing up. This show played a part in that.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
With his backing of the Pinochet's regime and sexual harassment stories, all I can say is Fuck Don Francisco.