• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
They been trying to get a movie made about this dude for soooo many years.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Let's go!

latest

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, all of what you said rings true. Definitely not the only non-asian Samurai, but noted to be the first. Interesting to read about Jan Joosten, since I hadn't heard of him before even though he came on the same ship with William. I guess he didn't garner quite as much favor with Ieyasu or just otherwise lead a less impactful life.

Maybe Jan Joosten will show up with Nioh 2. :D

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Takeshi as violent racist advisor to Nobunaga who is slowly won around by Chadwick's effort and ability please.

Actually, let's whitewash the whole thing and bring in gun-running Freemason Scotsman Thomas Glover, who founded Mitsubishi and Kirin Brewing and is rumored to have inspired the mustachioed monster on the Kirin bottles - and was awarded the order of the Rising Sun. If Sean Connery is too old, then let's go with Gerard Butler.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
More Hollywood movies about the Sengoku era? Yes please.

This movie is going to be dumb. He was in Japan for less than a few years and his biggest claim to fame was watching his boss commit seppuku, running away, and then helping Oda's heir lose before he was forced to go back to the Missionaries. The only reason he got his position was because Oda was a fan of the west.

Maybe we should make movies about actual samurai that did shit like Akechi Mitsuhide. You know the dude who's forced Lord Nobunaga to kill himself
I disagree. First, dramas can easily involve little to no action. A movie about Yasuke and Nobunaga's relationship, even if fictionalized somewhat, could be pretty interesting, even without a big battle.

Secondly, Yasuke did participate in the Tenmokuzan campaign and was right there with Ranmaru protecting Nobunaga at Honnōji. While not as impressive as, say, Nagashino, Tenmokuzan was the last stand of the Takeda and had a number of skirmishes that'd make for good film. And a final battle at Honnōji? Pretty neat. I also came across a book that actually takes the rumors of Yasuke then serving as a gunner in Kyushu for the ... Ōtomo, I think? And uses that to further his life story. But if the movie is about him and Nobunaga, it'll probably end with Honnōji.

Thirdly... Movies about a ruler's or warrior's entire life if they're super duper accomplished don't really work. There's a reason movies like Elizabeth, Kagemusha, Heaven and Earth, and the like focus short periods of time, never more than ten and usually closer to five, with only prologues or epilogues stretching further. We've also already had numerous Honnōji movies that focus on Mitsuhide or Nobunaga. Japanese, not Hollywood, sure, but they're still there and worth watching. We've none from the perspective of those lower on the food chain, let alone Yasuke. So this'll be a fresher perspective. Plus, the time frame just fits perfectly for a movie- 78-82.

And if this movie is successful enough, hey, we may yet see more Hollywood samurai movies that don't arbitrarily shove in a fictional white dude as the MC. I'd love to see a Hollywood-sized-budget movie about Uesugi Kenshin's campaign against either Shingen or Nobunaga, or a movie about the Genpei War focused on Yoshitsune.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
More Hollywood movies about the Sengoku era? Yes please.

I disagree. First, dramas can easily involve little to no action. A movie about Yasuke and Nobunaga's relationship, even if fictionalized somewhat, could be pretty interesting, even without a big battle.

Secondly, Yasuke did participate in the Tenmokuzan campaign and was right there with Ranmaru protecting Nobunaga at Honnōji. While not as impressive as, say, Nagashino, Tenmokuzan was the last stand of the Takeda and had a number of skirmishes that'd make for good film. And a final battle at Honnōji? Pretty neat. I also came across a book that actually takes the rumors of Yasuke then serving as a gunner in Kyushu for the ... Ōtomo, I think? And uses that to further his life story. But if the movie is about him and Nobunaga, it'll probably end with Honnōji.

Thirdly... Movies about a ruler's or warrior's entire life if they're super duper accomplished don't really work. There's a reason movies like Elizabeth, Kagemusha, Heaven and Earth, and the like focus short periods of time, never more than ten and usually closer to five, with only prologues or epilogues stretching further. We've also already had numerous Honnōji movies that focus on Mitsuhide or Nobunaga. Japanese, not Hollywood, sure, but they're still there and worth watching. We've none from the perspective of those lower on the food chain, let alone Yasuke. So this'll be a fresher perspective. Plus, the time frame just fits perfectly for a movie- 78-82.

And if this movie is successful enough, hey, we may yet see more Hollywood samurai movies that don't arbitrarily shove in a fictional white dude as the MC. I'd love to see a Hollywood-sized-budget movie about Uesugi Kenshin's campaign against either Shingen or Nobunaga, or a movie about the Genpei War focused on Yoshitsune.

I'm pretty much anti-biopic in general unless it's a small movie. Honestly the best route would be his relationship with Nobunaga. The writer doesn't give me any hope in this movie at all.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much prefer Winston Duke for the role. He's 6'5'' I think?
Most of Yasuke's legend is centered on his size difference, on how much bigger he was than the japanese of the time.
I guess Chadwick could be CGI'd enhanced.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Honestly the best route would be his relationship with Nobunaga. The writer doesn't give me any hope in this movie at all.
That would be the best way to approach this: Yasuke as the stand-in for the audience as an outsider and it being an exploration of Nobunaga and his personality and philosophies, with Yasuke as a character to bounce off of. But that would be if the movie was being made as a dramatic, Oscar-caliber picture, this will most likely be a corny action movie with cliched drama.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It doesn't seem fair that they're making a historical film set in Asia and giving the lead role to a black man. I really hope that Hollywood tries to represent us Asians in the film by giving someone like Scarlett Johansson a chance.