• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda shame he got perm'd right before his ultimate win, but in a way, it is fitting.
I had no idea he got banned but I just read what got him. lol

He went out the way he lived, by being the most annoying drama queen. Dude might be the least self aware human I've ever came across on the internet.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
So Avatar was in theaters for 34 weeks and pulled about a million a day, but Avengers beating the initial release and having to rerelease to beat the rerelease record in much faster time is actually more impressive for Avatar even though altogether it brought more money in sooner at every stage, and that the initial release of Avengers not beating the long as fuck rerelease record initially is a win for Avatar even though Avatar had much easier circumstances based on how old Gone with the Wind was by then, and they relied on a big new gimmick that faded quickly and bloated the ticket prices
giphy.gif
lol, im dying

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda shame he got perm'd right before his ultimate win, but in a way, it is fitting.

tenor.gif

I already did take the L, you must no be paying attention. It's a 100% certainty that Endgame will become or already is the highest grossing movie ever at this point.

Also, that wasn't "data" disregarded, it was hopes and dreams that were disregarded. Obviously, in hindsight, too many of us jumped the gun.
You call it "hopes and dreams" but it was speculation just the same as the speculation of people saying it would drop back down to pre-expansion levels after that first weekend. That disregarded actual data like how Captain Marvel received a bump despite being less tied to the plot of Endgame than Far From Home was or even just ignoring what a phenomenon that Marvel has created wtih the MCU and how people would want to see it again to refresh themselves or that people still hadn't seen it but would want to catch up before watching Spider-Man, basically data that said all the worst case scenarios of other Hollywood rereleases just don't apply to a Marvel Studios movie. I'd think that Black Panther and Captain Marvel being over a billion on their first outing and Endgame grossing over a billion on it's opening weekend should be a big enough data point that so-called "conventional box office wisdom" don't necessarily apply.

It's not that this win was unfathomable, there was a path to this point that people had pointed out, some people just chose to brush it off as improbable or impossible for the most cynical.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You call it "hopes and dreams" but it was speculation just the same as the speculation of people saying it would drop back down to pre-expansion levels after that first weekend. That disregarded actual data like how Captain Marvel received a bump despite being less tied to the plot of Endgame than Far From Home was or even just ignoring what a phenomenon that Marvel has created wtih the MCU and how people would want to see it again to refresh themselves or that people still hadn't seen it but would want to catch up before watching Spider-Man, basically data that said all the worst case scenarios of other Hollywood rereleases just don't apply to a Marvel Studios movie. I'd think that Black Panther and Captain Marvel being over a billion on their first outing and Endgame grossing over a billion on it's opening weekend should be a big enough data point that so-called "conventional box office wisdom" don't necessarily apply.

It's not that this win was unfathomable, there was a path to this point that people had pointed out, some people just chose to brush it off as improbable or impossible for the most cynical.
You must be forgetting that most people (including me) were pegging Endgame to bust into the 3 billion club after that opening. Or even 1 billion domestic. People INDEED thought all bets were off at the time. But, after the first couple of weeks, for the longest time, Endgame's legs just weren't pointing at it making it. That's how it was. But it made it, one way or another. You pointing out to random stuff like predicting it getting a Spider-man bump, the mystical impact of the Marvel Phenomenon, or denying box office history was hopes and dreams though.

edit: More power to you and yours for believing all this time. Endgame beat the odds. No doubt about that.

Last edited:

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
And it's clear that Disney purposely hold back the international number to make this annoucement at SDCC. They never report the actual number for international market to nearly two weeks.
They also update the actual number for Avatar from various re-release through the years.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic!

I'm sticking with my feeling that Endgame was probably my "#1 most bestest" experience in a theater, and I'm fucking old. ROTK was probably my pick before this. Just everything was perfect for me with Endgame. I saw it 4 times and cried every damn time. Love it.

Still can't believe its already going to be watchable at home in like a week.

Congrats to Marvel & Disney & everyone who believed and hoped! The bet thread was some wild shit, will be fun to read through it again.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
You must be forgetting that most people (including me) were pegging Endgame to bust into the 3 billion club after that opening. Or even 1 billion domestic. People INDEED thought all bets were off at the time. But, after the first couple of weeks, for the longest time, Endgame's legs just weren't pointing at it making it. That's how it was. But it made it, one way or another. You pointing out to random stuff like predicting it getting a Spider-man bump, the mystical impact of the Marvel Phenomenon, or denying box office history was hopes and dreams though.
You are still conflating people believing that it would pass Avatar's total run after week 3/4/5 of Endgame's run without a rerelease with how things changed after they expanded/rereleased the movie.

You may try to paint it as magic pixie dust hopes and wishes, but that was also people denying that Marvel/Disney would ever do a rerelease of a Marvel movie or that they don't care about a record that they already own as if a milestone isn't a milestone, regardless of if you just bought another studio that held the record, or making up fan fiction of how Disney wouldn't dare do something to piss off James Cameron because Bob Iger was scared of getting an angry call from Jim at 2 in the morning.

The Endgame run was full of all sorts of unprecedented and unexpected twists and turns (I jumped on the 3 billy train that first weekend too, after not believing it would beat Avatar by the end before release), but it's not completely unfathomable that Disney would do a rerelease when even in it's worst case scenarios of falling short, it was going to be fall short by such a small amount that of course they'd want to give it another little boost. Just a couple weeks ago, people were spinning the narrative that no one would care about a rerelease of the biggest movie of not just the year but of the last decade. Sure, domestic gross was falling, but it's because theaters were making room for more summer movies coming out every week. It just so happens that a lot of those movies they made room for were duds and surprise surprise, Endgame's holds have been pretty good since people like to see good movies.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I see some people start shitting on Avatar /Cameron again now that Endgame is back on track to pass it (till Avatar re-releases next year anyway :p )

A movie doesn't get to 2.7 billions just on "gimmick". They're both great movies for different reasons. I don't see why you need to shit on one or the other.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why people keep saying avengers "crawled" when avatar had like a 200 plus days run, avengers has like 80 days

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So, did they pass or did they fudge? Got reports saying they need 7.5million more.

WHAT IS IT!

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
It's the fastest movie by far to reach all these milestones, it's original run beat Avatar's original run and still people will find a way to discredit Endgame's achievement. This movie is gonna remain on top for a long time.

Lots of crow to be served

Nov 27, 2017
California
Battle of the re-releases will happen

Disney might as well put endgame in theaters before Star Wars since there are no marvel movies until black widow

Well, it felt like it crawled to the finish line but it did it pretty fast

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
To give you some perspective, the number two movie at the time (ROTK) was further away from Titanic than Titanic currently is from Avatar. It was absolutely impressive as all hell. Downplaying it makes no sense.

Facts? Are you not familiar with them?
Who is downplaying Avatar? It's been at the top of the box office since 2009. Hundreds of forums threads have been written about it. Many movies have come and gone. It's achievement was amazing but now it's been surpassed. Winning is winning.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The salt from some people is real, just hold that L and stop trying to downplay this accomplishment.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
The biggest movie of all time, all during the super hero fatigue era. Imagine what it could've done during an era where people were excited for these movies.

Crawled to the finish line but beat it in less than half the time, that is amazing.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't care about this, but the MCU surely deserves this record.

It's just a little funny how they managed to do it even with the extremely low effort re-release. That is some pretty tight returns-to-cost ratio calculations.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
No sequel has ever become the highest grossing film so to do it after 22 films is remarkable given series usually become more and more reliant on existing fans. It's also amazing it did it with a 3 hour summer blockbuster released before school was even out, movies that long are usually saved for winter holidays.

The more impressive stat is the combined gross of BP, IW, CM, EG and FFH. There is no other series that could do 7-8 billion in 18 months like that, incredible.

And the talk of adjusting Avatars numbers and things, Titanic takes a dump on both Avatar and Endgame's runs so if people want to come at it from that angle at least pick the real champ.

Last edited:

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
As soon as they drop a trailer for Avatar 2 they will plan a rerelease for the original, would be interesting to see how well it would do

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I don't remember Marvel fans making this many excuses when it looked like Avatar would keep the crown. We(except Zatt) accepted it. I knew the fudging would come back up

Stage 1:

Denial

Nov 1, 2017
How long did it take avatar to reach that amount compared to avengers? Just curious.

Fastest-grossing films to $500 million worldwide - It took avengers 3 days ($643 million) and for avatar 32 days ($504 million)

Fastest-grossing films to $1 billion worldwide -
Endgame ~ +5 days ($1.224 billion) vs Avatar ~ +19 days ($1.02 billion)

Fastest-grossing films to $1.5 billion worldwide -
Endgame ~ +8 days ($1.6641 billion) vs Avatar ~ +33 days ($1.5 billion)

Fastest-grossing films to $2 billion worldwide - Endgame ~ +11 days ($2 billion) vs Avatar ~ +47 days ($2.039 billion)

Fastest-grossing films to $2.5 billion worldwide - Endgame ~ +20 days ($2.503 billion) vs Avatar ~ +72 days ($2.501 billion)

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fastest-grossing films to $500 million worldwide - It took avengers 3 days ($643 million) and for avatar 32 days ($504 million)

Fastest-grossing films to $1 billion worldwide - Endgame ~ +5 days ($1.224 billion) vs Avatar ~ +19 days ($1.02 billion)

Fastest-grossing films to $1.5 billion worldwide -
Endgame ~ +8 days ($1.6641 billion) vs Avatar ~ +33 days ($1.5 billion)

Fastest-grossing films to $2 billion worldwide - Endgame ~ +11 days ($2 billion) vs Avatar ~ +47 days ($2.039 billion)

Fastest-grossing films to $2.5 billion worldwide - Endgame ~ +20 days ($2.503 billion) vs Avatar ~ +72 days ($2.501 billion)

None of those count, because something something 20+ films something something at least Avatar is original something something Disney fudging the numbers something...