• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder what effect streamed movies not showing previews like you get in a theater. I've relied on those a LOT to learn of new movies to be interested in.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Can't even believe movie theatres are open in any major city. (Said by someone in locked-down Ontario)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm vaccinated but personally I'm waiting for Black Widow, Fast 9 or Top Gun before I even consider it.
Honestly Widow is a stretch even

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I paid the premium to see it on D+. I figured that as a family of 4, we would have paid $40+ at the theater anyway so this works for me. Cheaper and I don't have to deal with people. lol

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why is it 30 dollars and that is on top of the subscription? Why?
It's €23 in Europe. Tickets at my local theater are €11,50. Let's say I was going to watch this at the theater with a friend (as I usually do) we'd also be paying that amount + a lot for snacks and drinks if we want. Seeing as this is mostly a kids/family movie, being able to see a brand new Disney flick on release for the price of 2 movie tickets, where a family would usually have to buy 3+ tickets, that's a win for a lot of people. You also get unlimited access, not just 1 screening, so your kids can watch this over and over for the next couple of months. They are also showing trailers for this on kids channels, there are LEGO sets, dolls etc. So kids naturally want to watch this instead of Lion King or Frozen for the 100th time.

Of course when you're alone it's not going to be worth the €23/$30 unless you really love Disney/films in general. I thought the movie was great, potentially being another modern Disney classic, but I wouldn't recommend a single person to pay that amount for it. But if you're a family then it's a no brainer.

Dec 13, 2018
We upgraded our home theatre last year, between stuff like this and hbo max movies I am very pleased with our decision

Also this is totally for families, it's not even a theatre replacement , it's just a cheap family thing to do. Most weekend family outings for me were easily over $100 (3 kids)... there isn't fuck all to do right now because of COVID, this type of stuff is great

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I would like to see Raya, but for some reason the $30 rental cost just seems too much to me. I acknowledge that this doesn't really make any sense as if my girlfriend and I went to the movies it would $24 for our tickets and then we always get popcorn and snacks so... yeah. Just a psychological thing I guess. And I'm not particularly frugal when it comes to entertainment spending. Weird.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
But at that point, Why would the family even pay $30 when it will be free in a couple of months, more people would rather wait than to waste money

This is exactly what my kids and I did last night - we were set to watch Raya until we saw the $30 price tag and instead watched live-action Mulan which no longer had the premium price attached to it.

When the next pay-to-view comes to D+ in a few months, we'll then watch Raya.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Performing that much worse with a big budget Disney animation than a terribly-reviewing mid-budget free-on-HBO-Max Tom and Jerry film seems really bad no matter how you spin it. Raya likely has double the budget of Tom and Jerry. They better hope China reacts to it better than to Mulan.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Same here, i think people puzzled by this aren't the target audience...
People on Era often have trouble understanding that they're not the target market for everything. Like, someone literally just said "no one's ever made a movie that I'd pay $30 for!!" and it's like, okay, great, you're not the target market for a $30 movie then.

Disney's betting that a lot of families are, though. And they seem to know a thing or two about the movie business. Maybe not quite as much as the average internet commentator…

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
It's worth noting it was a $30 premium rental on D+, rather than just being added to the catalogue.
Just to be clear, it's not a rental in the sense that digital rentals are usually only for 24-48 hours. With the premier access purchase, Raya is available to watch as many times as you want on whatever devices you want until such time as the movie becomes available for no additional charge on Disney+. It's not pay per view and it's not a standard rental.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see the reason for paying money to see a movie on a streaming service I'm already paying for when I can just see that movie as part of that same service's regular catalog if I wait a couple months. I can only see paying for a zeitgeist movie like Avengers or Star Wars or something, and Raya ain't that.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Performing that much worse with a big budget Disney animation than a terribly-reviewing mid-budget free-on-HBO-Max Tom and Jerry film seems really bad no matter how you spin it. Raya likely has double the budget of Tom and Jerry.
Probably closer to three times the budget. T&J's budget has been reported at $79M and I don't think Disney's made an animated film for less than $200M for years now. Plus a likely significantly higher marketing spend.

So yeah, barring a truly outstanding performance on D+, this is going to sting. I kept on expecting them to push it back to Luca's slot in June and they never did.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I were back in my poorboy days I would've just pirated it as it'd be the same experience. Now I just won't watch it at all

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I paid the premium to see it on D+. I figured that as a family of 4, we would have paid $40+ at the theater anyway so this works for me. Cheaper and I don't have to deal with people. lol
Doing the same tonight, my daughter is super excited and normally we went to the theaters at least once a month. This is much cheaper that said I do miss the experience and hope to go back someday

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping this does well on Disney+ premiere access so they add more movies. Would gladly pay even more than $30 to watch black widow now at home

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what my kids and I did last night - we were set to watch Raya until we saw the $30 price tag and instead watched live-action Mulan which no longer had the premium price attached to it.

When the next pay-to-view comes to D+ in a few months, we'll then watch Raya.
Plus instead wait and then watch it for free when they add it on D+ and waste $10 on snacks, you still saved yourself $20.

Also there's so much content on other streaming services that you can forget about stuff and before you know it, it'll be on D+.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
People holding AMC stock feeling dumb right now. Nobody is counting down the days until they can return to a theater.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People holding AMC stock feeling dumb right now. Nobody is counting down the days until they can return to a theater.
Hopefully so I can buy more as the price goes down, when the majority of the people get the vaccine, everything is going to open 100% and no more masks, people are going to go crazy on spending.

People want to be able to do all that stuff but are waiting on that vaccine.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Ii don't even know any theaters that are open. I'm surprised they are still trying until we're in a better spot with vaccines.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Why would a PG-13 Marvel movie even have a trailer on Disney kids cartoon movie?

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the premium thing stays post pandemic. My two kids are toddlers now but taking them to see a movie in the theatre seems like a stressful event. Watching movies at home with them is really nice.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I'm waiting for it to go to D+ for free. These companies promising a short theatrical to on demand window is to blame for this.... It's really their own fault 🤷

I can't say why Tom and Jerry over performed, that's crazy

Maybe it was advertisements? Like.....I knew Raya was coming out, but adverts for it kind of just started out of nowhere. My kids aren't interested because apart from a commercial here or there, they just don't know of it's existence.

Tom & Jerry on the other hand I saw a lot more adverts for. Including several instances where Cartoon Network would show a "sneak peak" of an uninterrupted 5 minute segment. We don't have HBO Max to watch it, but my kids at least knew what Tom & Jerry was.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I personally only heard of this movie some days ago when Kelly Marie Tran was talking about all the shit that she suffered from the Star Wars fanbase

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Tom & Jerry is more familiar and had more advertising. I dont think i've seen a single trailer of the disney movie.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
"It was explained to me that Raya's $30 price point on Disney+ is roughly equivalent to the rental that Disney would get from five or six movie tickets." whew, so a dual Disney+ and theatre release means Disney gets to have the cake and eat it.
See this part was confusing me because there's no way any movie theater is only charging $5 for a new movie release. Most tickets are $10+ per person so for most families, doing the movie on D+ is a better deal, Pandemic or not.

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
Hope the home buys are good, the movie absolutely deserves it! Absolutely worth the £20 for 4 of us to watch it, and I doubt it'll be the last time we do before June!

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
eh.. i mean you can always wait and eventually movies are going to show up on streaming services.

I think the difference is that when you're paying the premium price to see it in the theater you're gettinga different experience than watching it on your living room on a streaming service. Paying $30 to see this movie now is paying for the same exact product and same experience that will be free with the Disney+ subscription in a few months.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It was explained to me that Raya's $30 price point on Disney+ is roughly equivalent to the rental that Disney would get from five or six movie tickets." whew, so a dual Disney+ and theatre release means Disney gets to have the cake and eat it.
if i was a movie theater owner i would hold the line and refuse to air any movies that do streaming along with cinema release. once you get people used to to these releases they aren't gonna come back other than for the biggest releases and even then they might not come back in big numbers. with that said i'm just gonna wait for these movies to hit disney plus or the other streaming apps as i don't think those movies are worth the risk of going to the movies right now. i wouldn't have gone to the movies for raya or tom and jerry pre pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.