• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Good thing they fixed the animations. They looked awful in the remake.

But honestly, this remake is pointless.

Dead Space (original) at 4k60 with Reshade looks more than good enough.
g71VLA9.jpg

Vt0ephu.jpeg

Jsim4ib.jpeg

Z6lrxY2.jpg
?

mHC1Abg.gif

afRpSQz.gif

0SFzW5n.gif

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very nice. Seems to carry over all the sound improvements they made but is also closer to the original

Which further proves how insignificant the complaints are?

I had no problems with the original sounds but good for fans I guess.

I really love them showing us this much detail on a work in progress game, but the amount of bitching just further proves no studio will attempt a transparent development like this again.
Fans would have complained about the sounds either way. The only difference is if they do it now, the devs can still react. Later when the game is shipped and the team already moving on to new stuff it would probably be more complicated. I see this as a win for being transparent. EA was similarly open with fans when it came to C&C remasters

Last edited:

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Cool, they sound better. I hope they fix the HUD, do not care for the solid black ammo counter.

I didn't even notice that. Yeah, I hope that changes to the original design some time during development. The holographic ammo counters from the original were so cool. I remember being amazed by it the first time I saw it in previews.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'll buy it and play it cause I'm a Dead Space fan but I still don't understand why this game is being remade from scratch. A remaster would have been more than enough

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'll buy it and play it cause I'm a Dead Space fan but I still don't understand why this game is being remade from scratch. A remaster would have been more than enough
The original (and Dead Space 2, I believe) were made on a now-defunct engine that EA doesn't use anymore. As a result, a remaster would have been just as much developmental work as a remake.

MS did the hardware work to make the old games playable on the XSX but the games are not available on modern PlayStation hardware.

The remake tests current audience interest for the franchise, not just people who already bought the old versions a decade ago, and it gets it on modern platforms. You may not see the need for it, but if you ever want more Dead Space, picking up the remake is the thing that shows that to EA.

For fuck's sake they're remaking Dead Space on the cheap (relative to a full on sequel) to gauge interest in an eventual new title in the series, it's not that deep and no your average dead space enjoyer does not have a pc and know-how or the will to mod it for reshades and shit so yes it abso-motherfucking-lutely serves a good purpose.

There, now that question is taken care of. And it IS taken care of.
NEXT.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
For fuck's sake they're remaking Dead Space on the cheap (relative to a full on sequel) to gauge interest in an eventual new title in the series, it's not that deep and no your average dead space enjoyer does not have a pc and know-how or the will to mod it for reshades and shit so yes it abso-motherfucking-lutely serves a good purpose.

There, now that question is taken care of. And it IS taken care of.
NEXT.

Great post.

I just want to add to this, that if you don't think a Dead Space remake is worth your time or money: don't buy it. They're not going to yoink your old copy of Dead Space from your disc or digital library.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis

not really. Given it's on an engine no one uses, remastering would prob take as much work as remaking it. That and a remaster won't sell as well as a full-on remake with new systems and content put in (yes, this remake will have new content given the changes to VO and them even adding cut areas). A full remake also allows them to gauge interest in making new games in the series.

Of course, clinically its them reacting to the popularity of the RE 2 remake. Thats fine though as I still think DeadSpace is a better series.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
As expected, a PS5 gen game looks better than a PS3 gen game. I think development time could be better spent with a sequel or soft reboot than what looks like a remake of the first game.

Who says this isnt meant as a soft reboot for the IP? I think thats the end goal, getting the IP back on track with a new team after DS3 - and what better way to "get it" than remaking the first one.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018

g71VLA9.jpg

Vt0ephu.jpeg

Jsim4ib.jpeg

Z6lrxY2.jpg
The remake is far from pointless, Dead Space deserves to be put back into the spotlight.

And can people stop applying these blurred out the ass, oversaturated, piss filters over their games and saying that it looks better?

Battlefield 3 got dragged for doing this shit and for good reason.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

g71VLA9.jpg

Vt0ephu.jpeg

Jsim4ib.jpeg

Z6lrxY2.jpg
How is it pointless? This is the only way I can play the first game on a PS4/PS5.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Not a "pointless" remake at all. As someone who is a huge fan of the game and having just played through the trilogy again last year, I am really looking forward to this. Yes, the original still looks good, but this is looking even better and I'll be there day one again just as I was in 2008. Plus, hopefully when it sells well they'll either continue on giving it the 'Resident Evil' treatment and either remake 2 or do a new entry.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
not really. Given it's on an engine no one uses, remastering would prob take as much work as remaking it. That and a remaster won't sell as well as a full-on remake with new systems and content put in (yes, this remake will have new content given the changes to VO and them even adding cut areas). A full remake also allows them to gauge interest in making new games in the series.

Of course, clinically its them reacting to the popularity of the RE 2 remake. Thats fine though as I still think DeadSpace is a better series.
Is this a 1 to 1 remake? If so it is even more pointless. Re2 Remake is re-imagining of Re2, it changed quite a bit of the original game. So both games can still co exist. If they are changing a good chunk in this remake I'm all for it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
What I'm hoping for is a remake of 2 and then an entire retcon of 3, making it into a good game.

Though I will admit I did like the utter hopelessness that 3 ultimately concluded with. The universe doesn't get saved at ALL.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Is this a 1 to 1 remake? If so it is even more pointless. Re2 Remake is re-imagining of Re2, it changed quite a bit of the original game. So both games can still co exist. If they are changing a good chunk in this remake I'm all for it.
It's not 1 to 1. They are implementing DS2-style zero-g and Isaac will have voiced lines. And that's just the stuff we know of right now.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Most people don't want to futz around with Dead Space's incredibly shoddy PC port, and a remake can add fun new additions and QoL improvements. This is a weird post.

Also, the animations were clearly a work-in-progress. The game has a ways to go.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Do people reach the part of these dev videos where they explicitly talk about how animations and graphics and things like that are placeholder and just black the fuck out or enter some kind of fugue state

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I meant the DS Remake dev footage where the arm would flail when shooting the gun.
Yea it does that because the game isn't actually finished. Games don't look super polished during development and these guys are being way more transparent about that. To the point that "we listened to fan feedback" kinda seems weird to state when they originally stated that the audio wasn't finished in the first place.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

g71VLA9.jpg

Vt0ephu.jpeg

Jsim4ib.jpeg

Z6lrxY2.jpg
The target audience for this remake is the people on PC but those on consoles. I'd take a full-on remake that takes advantage of the new SSD and the Dualsense's features over playing the original release (which I platinumed on PS3 just so you know). And no, I don't play games on PC.

Yea it does that because the game isn't actually finished. Games don't look super polished during development and these guys are being way more transparent about that. To the point that "we listened to fan feedback" kinda seems weird to state when they originally stated that the audio wasn't finished in the first place.
That felt weird to me too. They have focus testing and playtesting for these kind of feedbacks. I love they are being transparent about the remake's development, but they shouldn't give voice to people complaining on social media.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Do people reach the part of these dev videos where they explicitly talk about how animations and graphics and things like that are placeholder and just black the fuck out or enter some kind of fugue state
Yes they fucking do.
Or it's willfull. They see what they see and they start feeling some way and just really want to say it outloud and then they see the obvious disclaimers and thats a fucking bummer when you just wanna voice your opinion on how bad it looks. So you maybe open up a bottle of wine, kinda try to get back into that mental space in time before you saw the disclaimer, see if you can get something rolling and then go type it out on the internet.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis

no. Basic research would tell you that. They are including cut areas, adding mechanics introduced in deadspace 2 (aka its version of zero g, thus having to redesign all those areas and how they function), and adding new story and insights given isaac is voiced by his VA from the past games

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wdym, clearly animations/sound effects/particles/lighting, etc. in a game this far away from release should look like they would in the final product.

That felt weird to me too. They have focus testing and playtesting for these kind of feedbacks. I love they are being transparent about the remake's development, but they shouldn't give voice to people complaining on social media.
It'd be like if NT said that listening to fan feedback is the reason why things were done during Senua's development.

Nov 8, 2017
Wow sad that EA gave in to the terrorist's demands. If you critique something on the internet that's similar to murder. When you critique an unreleased, non final thing, that's actually double murder, maybe even triple murder.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm far more interested in gameplay changes. I wonder if the Ultramorph will be far more of a constant threat as it was relatively easy to deal with it in the original and it was rather limited in what it could actually do.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why they don't just work from the original audio, it already sounds amazing and I can't imagine it would be an issue. I'm sure there are logistical reasons but it feels like they're making it harder on themselves.