• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I had accumulated a lot of gold since launch until I bought a 1000 part costume. Damn near wiped me out.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to free version but my stick is not registering left. Left is right and right is right. I'm assuming it's a problem with my stick and not a game setting, right?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The new pattern points update is excellent but I got another problem now....not enough MONEY!! *sigh* You would think they would've boosted this with the pattern points boost because a lot of modes (e.g. DOA Quest and Combo Challenge) only give big amounts of gold the first time you complete them and on subsequent attempts (if already cleared) you basically get nothing except for the small amounts (a hundred or so) from the fight itself, the big money bonuses for completing objectives and the missions do not repeat. Also after the update they have added approx 26 new quests, looks to be 1 very hard one for each character (huge combo damage needed to finish).

At the moment this is what I recommend:
1. Do NOT spend gold on costumes, hairstyles and accessories for characters you do not want/need. Basically gold is very limited so only spend on the stuff you are trying to unlock and do not just go around spending it willy nilly as you unlock random stuff as you will run out very fast and then have to farm (very slowly) for the stuff you do want.
2. DOA Quest is the easiest way of getting big amounts of gold. If you have trouble completing the whole mission just cherry pick the missions with the easy objectives and complete those then come back to finish the whole mission later if you need more gold. Combo Challenge also rewards decent amounts but some of the combos can get difficult so you will hit a road block pretty early with this mode so not recommended, just stick to DOA Quest basically.

Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo can you please boost the gold drops in arcade mode x10 (other modes may also need a boost but not sure). Thanks.
Do combo challenges and training for the characters you can manage for a lot more cash. Diego's the quickest across both of those.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Do combo challenges and training for the characters you can manage for a lot more cash. Diego's the quickest across both of those.
Ahh didn't know about the training also giving gold, any idea how much you get for completing each one?

At this stage I don't think i'll be using the combo challenges to farm gold as they are a bit too hard for me and not sure how much gold i'm getting for the small amount of progress i'm making in each.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else getting freezing on the Lost Paradise stage? Using an RX 570. It does it even without overclocking

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did training mode but somehow I missed this. what is an offensive hold and how is it different from a counter hold

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Really like that the Xbox version includes achievements in Core Fighters. Always felt a little lame that the PS versions of 5 and 6 don't for whatever reason.
Regardless, ending up buying Mila (Who's my main) and plan to pretty much play until I have a good chunk of the achievements. Personally, DOA 5 Ultimate and up have probably the best Achievement/Trophy lists out of any fighting games. There's a good easy chunk for anyone to get and then nice ones to work towards by just playing online. Adds a good chunk of playability for people like me who get some worth out of that stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bunch of lobby matches with a friend. Its a pretty good lobby system, and we had a great connection the whole time. Same city however.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Gold is definitely something I'm worrying about now, unlocked Kasumi's classic outfit and saw it was 20,000! Going to be more careful on what I spend it on for now.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say that grabs are the dumbest thing in this game?

It's seemingly not like other fighting games where you can break grabs, it just happens fucking instantly. So you get people who just spam them for massive damage.

I also love when I stun them and midway through my attacks they grab me. Like ?????.

Welcome to Dead or Alive. Throws are my #1 complaint about the game engine. Without being able to break throws, you can't play proper defense. Holding block actually puts you in a mixup, which is ridiculous. But don't tell a DOA player you want throw breaks, they'll throw a fit. Even oMastero just laughed at me when I said the game needs throw breaks.

The throw game in Tekken is the second biggest thing that makes me kinda hate that series. People can literally just mash punch to get out of them, in stuff like DOA or VF and now Soul Calibur VI you have to know what kind of throw they are going for to break it.

Holds are the defining feature of DOA. I love the mixup mindgames they create. Do not just spam stuff like PPPP, throw in a random non-comboed low or something, stagger your inputs sometimes too. Against hold focused opponents you will be shocked how stupid they will look in no time.

Throws in Tekken 7 are easier to break compared to previous games in the series, but there are still three different throw breaks. You have to watch the hands of the player throwing to know what break to use.

If you like to guess, you love DOA. If you like to play actual defense and not guess 99% of the time, then DOA is pretty terrible. Just depends on your style of play.

I have to question the choice to put those two on commentary. They were on commentary during pools as well as top 8 and they have very little knowledge about the game. Did no one else step up to commentate or did they just sit down and not give anyone else a shot? Either way, the commentary was easily the worst part of the DOA stream at Final Round.

Throws are one of the main means of punishment in DoA and Tina is a grappler so ofc you will see a lot of grabs.

If you are getting thrown a lot online you are probably too passive at times allowing them to throw you or go for too many hold attempts leading to your opponent stopping their attack and throw you for big damage. Remember unlike other fighting games in DoA strikes will beat throws. The moment you are doing a move throws won't hit. Only exception are Offensive Holds which will beat the start of a strike. Offensive holds lose to throws though

Too passive? You mean trying to block? The poor netcode means it's very difficult to react to pauses in strings or even "run up throw" scenarios. And don't get me started on characters with jumping throws since it takes 4 frames to duck in DOA and it's already extremely difficult to react online.

The issue is that throws are too strong for being unbreakable. Characters can take 50% or more in some situations, off of an unbreakable throw from neutral. That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me, especially when the recommended defense is to randomly attack (what?) or fuzzy.

Nico seems pretty busted to me. She's super unfun to fight against and she's one of the worst character designs ever.

Triple threat.

It's still early, but Nico is easily top tier at the moment, and arguably the best character in the game. I brought this up to oMastero and he just laughed and said he didn't want any changes this early. Never mind the fact that I gave him specific information as to why Nico stands above the rest of the cast. You can't talk to some of these people. They just don't understand the fundamentals of fighting games because they only play DOA at a competitive level. At this point I've given up trying to tell Manny anything about what's wrong with DOA6. Wasted effort...

Gold is definitely something I'm worrying about now, unlocked Kasumi's classic outfit and saw it was 20,000! Going to be more careful on what I spend it on for now.

I've basically played nothing but ranked and I have 300k gold after buying a good 12-15 costumes. Am I missing something or is gold just easy to come by in ranked?

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Characters can take 50% or more in some situations, off of an unbreakable throw from neutral. That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me, especially when the recommended defense is to randomly attack (what?) or fuzzy.
The neutral in this game is just a big question mark to me. I feel like I'm missing something but based on every breakdown I've seen you just kinda throw out a button and hope the opponent is doing the thing that button counters.

It's hard to find a lot of info though since a majority of the discussion is about the outfits lol.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit how do I turn big picture mode off. I'm on xbox one controller and can't find an option at all

ciW77QW.png

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Well.

I'm ready to be really sad when this breaks:

http:///dTld.png

Edit: And it broke against that stupid winged lady.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm really enjoying this!

For starters, it's kind of sad that it runs better than DOA5 on my PC (I get some slight stuttering on DOA5 no matter the settings, it's not a great port...). Fighting is fast, fluid, and fun as always, the game looks great, loading times are fantastic (it really puts to shame many other current fighters), and online is not terrible so bad.

Oct 25, 2017

Haven't played in a couple days so I don't know if they dropped it. I was getting around 900 gold for an online ranked fight. 1,000 cp costumes usually cost 20,000. Only ones that are higher are Christie's leather costumes. The red or white one costs 35k.

Last edited:

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omfg nothing is more satisfying in DOA6 than someone beating you 3-2, then coming back with the download and winning 3-0 2x in a row

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Ahh didn't know about the training also giving gold, any idea how much you get for completing each one?

At this stage I don't think i'll be using the combo challenges to farm gold as they are a bit too hard for me and not sure how much gold i'm getting for the small amount of progress i'm making in each.
I just checked again and character specific command training does not give any gold, but the base training mode does and combo challenges give you some for every five trials you do.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Team Ninja needs to fix this stuff, for real.

Other 3D artists can notice the shoddy workmanship. For people in the know, this stuff is some pretty base level fuck up.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Team Ninja needs to fix this stuff, for real.

Other 3D artists can notice the shoddy workmanship. For people in the know, this stuff is some pretty base level fuck up.

Nearly every model is messed up in one way or another if look a little closer. They did a really sloppy job on character models this time around. They even managed to mess up before perfectly fine DOA5 models that they entirely or partly reused.
I've been telling everyone that for months and I have been complaining directly to Team Ninja about it. The ship has probably sailed. I have no hopes they will fix any of it.

Look at the weird pixelation patterns on Hayate's hair (I retouched them on the right side):

33482251828_a686c0853b_o.png

That being said, they did at least give the male characters completely different and way more detailed bodies this time. Here I directly compared Rig's DOA5 MMA model with his DOA6 deluxe wrestling model:

46687470744_0e486d871c_o.png

46687469654_3f440f2ed7_o.png

46687470344_8969d86559_o.png

Yeah, I did remove the second navel. XD I know, it goes against objectively and fairly comparing the two models, but it just triggers OCD in me, I can't help it. :( It's just so messed up...

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Haven't played in a couple days so I don't know if they dropped it. I was getting around 900 gold for an online ranked fight. 1,000 cp costumes usually cost 20,000. Only ones that are higher are Christie's leather costumes. The red or white one costs 35k.
Ah OK, well that's not too bad. I still need to try online (don't have Plus right now), but that's good to know.

Also, I hope they add Tag Battle in at some point, but I don't know if that's possible at this point or not.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Anyone else getting freezing on the Lost Paradise stage? Using an RX 570. It does it even without overclocking

Yeah, the very first time I played that stage it crashed my graphics card (RX 480 8GB). It seems there's an issue with the water on that stage. You need to create a profile for the game in the Radeon Settings app and set the Tessellation Mode to "Override Application Settings." Also, set Maximum Tessellation Level to "Off." Should resolve the issue.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Ah OK, well that's not too bad. I still need to try online (don't have Plus right now), but that's good to know.

Also, I hope they add Tag Battle in at some point, but I don't know if that's possible at this point or not.
Tag has been hinted as a possibility for the next gen version.
No way it's happening this gen based on what they've said.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the very first time I played that stage it crashed my graphics card (RX 480 8GB). It seems there's an issue with the water on that stage. You need to create a profile for the game in the Radeon Settings app and set the Tessellation Mode to "Override Application Settings." Also, set Maximum Tessellation Level to "Off." Should resolve the issue.
Thanks, another tip I saw also said to set compute mode instead of graphics. I sent a bug report to AMD too

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For all its shortcomings the face models and facial expressions during a fight are top notch. O:

46497261935_a3d921bace_o.png

47359732892_19cf63ffb8_o.png

46497262435_f25793ff4f_o.png

47359852542_0778e09322_o.png

Photos taken by me in photomode. :)

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
The neutral in this game is just a big question mark to me. I feel like I'm missing something but based on every breakdown I've seen you just kinda throw out a button and hope the opponent is doing the thing that button counters.

It's hard to find a lot of info though since a majority of the discussion is about the outfits lol.

Yeah there's basically no neutral in DOA. Attack hitboxes are super unbalanced, so it's very difficult to interrupt someone who just starts mashing out a string from halfway across the screen. Depending on the character and the attack string used, sometimes you can crush or step, but in other fighters you'd just whiff punish and be on your way.

Also, since throws are unbreakable you can't just play defense. You always have to be ready to press jab or something, or be ready to fuzzy. It's like focusing on the ground game in Street Fighter, but still being ready to anti-air... only jump attacks are 7 frames instead of 60+. The mixup between run up throw and run up attack is also crazy strong... again because you can't break throws.

Risk/reward is also heavily skewed because you can't just jab check like you can in VF, Tekken or Soul Calibur. If you jab check and they counter, they can take 50% or more... because you jabbed.

From my experience, neutral in DOA boils down to dashing forward and back until someone commits to an attack of some sort. There's no safe way to approach or defend, so it's all one big guess. Playing online makes this even more difficult/frustrating because you basically can't react to anything and have to make even more of a guess due to how early you have to make a decision.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
I just play for the costumes at this rate.

Have they mentioned selling individual costumes on steam yet?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I just play for the costumes at this rate.

Have they mentioned selling individual costumes on steam yet?
About that...
As a follow up to the individual costumes discussion from earlier, the Steam page for the wedding costume set no longer includes the "The products included in this set can also be purchased separately" passage in the description of the DLC. Guess that settles that particular discussion.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone saying you can't break throws? I break throws lots. That just means when an opponent goes to throw you and you shake out of it, right? At least it does in most fighting games.

It mean something different here?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's basically no neutral in DOA. Attack hitboxes are super unbalanced, so it's very difficult to interrupt someone who just starts mashing out a string from halfway across the screen. Depending on the character and the attack string used, sometimes you can crush or step, but in other fighters you'd just whiff punish and be on your way.

Also, since throws are unbreakable you can't just play defense. You always have to be ready to press jab or something, or be ready to fuzzy. It's like focusing on the ground game in Street Fighter, but still being ready to anti-air... only jump attacks are 7 frames instead of 60+. The mixup between run up throw and run up attack is also crazy strong... again because you can't break throws.

Risk/reward is also heavily skewed because you can't just jab check like you can in VF, Tekken or Soul Calibur. If you jab check and they counter, they can take 50% or more... because you jabbed.

From my experience, neutral in DOA boils down to dashing forward and back until someone commits to an attack of some sort. There's no safe way to approach or defend, so it's all one big guess. Playing online makes this even more difficult/frustrating because you basically can't react to anything and have to make even more of a guess due to how early you have to make a decision.
You've done a good job at summarizing my thoughts so far. I'm having more fun than I expected, but there is so much I just don't get about neutral here. The weird hitboxes and priority (at least it seems like some sort of attack priority?) especially are really driving me nuts after playing so much Tekken recently. It just feels off in comparison when trying to whiff punish or really try to play footsies. I've had so many situations where I go to hit a button after my enemy's string whiffs and I get hit instead. It feels a bit unnatural.
But considering the discussion was specifically about the neutral game aren't neutral throws the relevant one to the topic at hand?
No, you can't break command throws, which is what he means. Something like Lisa's 214T or Nyotengu's 41236T.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
this makes so little sense considering they just put out the core fighters version, they're literally locking themselves out of money from the people playing that version of the game
who the heck is gonna buy a $20 costume bundle if they only own 1-3 of the characters in it
whereas someone who plays the CF version and only plays a few characters might be inclined to buy most/all costumes for their character

bizarre choice