• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oohh, they look nice nonetheless.

I think in photo mode the games does something to smooth out the jaggies and shimmering which are unfortunately all over the screen during gameplay.

Even the visuals can be inconsistent; sometimes they look good and sometimes they look terrible with low res textures on the stages, dirts and effect.

Yeah, a visually very inconsistent game. With very high highs and very low lows. You can often tell the game was rushed and many corners were cut. A far cry from the extreme polish and love to detail of older DOAs.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
The game is tons of fun. After doing the whole tutorial (very helpful since I never dug too deep into DOA) I did the command and combo training for NiCO. It was pretty fun and it gave me an idea for some combos. They work pretty well against the CPU and I'm looking forward trying those out online over the weekend. Did some arcade, time attack and survival runs too. The gameplay is hella fun. Quest mode is tons of fun too. It also gives me a reason to try out other characters outside of the few I know (I think I will be a NiCO main though. I really dig her play style). The first 15-20 or so quests aren't hard but still fun to do. They do reward you with 200 and up to 500 costume parts (if I'm not wrong) when doing all missions for one quest, so this is where it's at to unlock most costumes I guess. It sucks that it's completely random. I did manage to unlock some costumes for the male characters that way and also managed to unlock one of Helena's and Ayane's costumes (the cheaper ones for like 400 or 500) that way, but it's just pure luck. Also what happens when I did all quest (I think there's over 100)? Then it's just online and arcade mode grinding? You do need an unlock system for costumes, but making it a total grind with a RNG factor is just baffling in a full price game. If this were the F2P version I wouldn't complain. But for the full priced game? They really dropped the ball on that front. It sucks, because everything else is great so far.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Game's great, but I can only mirror the rest of you in saying that the costume parts system is completely insane. Either increase part gain significantly or make the outfit you are grinding towards selectable.
This is either accidental or one of the dumbest design choices I've ever seen.

Oct 31, 2017
How do you unlock costumes? It isn't arcade mode anymore?

92 season pass? Wow
You collect costumes by collecting outfit parts by playing DOA Quest mode. This wouldn't be a problem if they let you pick the outfits you want to collect parts for but its completely randomly generated and the costume parts you gather are minuscule for the grind it requires. You can play for weeks and maybe even years and never unlock the outfit for the specific character you want. It's just a complete mess, I play all the major fighting games out there and have been playing DOA since DOA1 in the 90s and this is the worst unlock system I've ever encountered.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
You collect costumes by collecting outfit parts by playing DOA Quest mode. This wouldn't be a problem if they let you pick the outfits you want to collect parts for but its completely randomly generated and the costume parts you gather are minuscule for the grind it requires. You can play for weeks and maybe even years and never unlock the outfit for the specific character you want. It's just a complete mess, I play all the major fighting games out there and have been playing DOA since DOA1 in the 90s and this is the worst unlock system I've ever encountered.
Well they could start selling boosters for pattern unlocks. I can't see any other reason to make it so difficult and time consuming to unlock the content that is included with the game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Started off with a large chunk of the story mode tonight, and that's a goofy-ass DOA story, all right. Lightweight and enjoyable for what it is.

Then I hopped straight into online play and somehow managed to break out with a five-match win streak right off the bat. I will never see a five-match win streak ever again. I am not that fortunate when it comes to fighting games and online play. Kokoro feels as good as ever, though, and the new tweaks and additions to the combat system really do give it a new feel, as much as DOA will always be DOA. Fun game!

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect the net code is similar, but you're more likely to have issues in games where the fast attacks are faster. You can hide more input delay when the fastest strikes are 10f than in a game where it's 5f.

This is why netcode often seems better for Tekken/VF/SC. The base attacks are slower than in other games.

But we're not talking about i5 attacks. We're talking about attacks that are -11 that I can't punish consistently with an i7 throw. The input lag difference between punishing a -11 attack and a -10 attack shouldn't be this drastic. And that's only in a 4-5 bar connection. I can punish in far worse than that in Tekken and SC.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
This netcode is garbage. This costume unlock system is garbage. There's not even a lot of costumes. It's a bunch of different colors for 3 or 4 outfits per character.

This and the preorder shit... Yeah, definitely requesting a refund. This shit is f2p tactics and core fighters isn't even available.
Warned everybody that the netcode would not be good.

Now let me get a roll count on who would be open to a hosted tourney lobby? I will be hosting and recording and shipping dat shit to FSD.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm refunding for no 21:9 support. How are developers not supporting that aspect ratio in 2019?

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
How is the customisation beyond the set costumes? How does attachments work if any and how many?

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game looks good, not great, and definitely more like a current gen game than SC6.
The low poly/texture cars in the highway stage stick out though.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Yea it wouldn't be quite so bad if instead you just earned a currency and spent it freely on costumes that are currently locked. But nah.

Even Doa5 guaranteed a new costume with every arcade mode play for the character you play as. One for each tag partner if playing tag. That was a much better process. Also I miss tag battle...

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But we're not talking about i5 attacks. We're talking about attacks that are -11 that I can't punish consistently with an i7 throw. The input lag difference between punishing a -11 attack and a -10 attack shouldn't be this drastic. And that's only in a 4-5 bar connection. I can punish in far worse than that in Tekken and SC.

There's still an impact likely in that a game with faster jabs has a lower input buffer which can hide less input delay.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
So, apparently they censored the Fatal Blow face punch for the "18" year olds, Marie, Honoka, and NiCO. For other characters, it zooms in to show blood and face contortions. But, for those 3, it attacks like if you turned the feature off no matter what you set it to. This is extra weird, because NiCO's reveal trailer actually has her getting punched (skip to 1:35).

Ayane and Eliot, who are also 18, are okay, though. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't felt like costume unlocking is that bad yet. Idk. I'm still working my way through the quest stuff but I've gotten a ton fo parts there. The numbers you guys are quoting for the other modes sound whack as fuck, but DOA quest gives parts out like c andy. It's still not ideal, but I've got at least one costume I like for every character I care about, and several for characters I don't and still have like 60 quests.

Plus I got this so I'm fine.
O3S527h.jpg

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
So, apparently they censored the Fatal Blow face punch for the "18" year olds, Marie, Honoka, and NiCO. For other characters, it zooms in to show blood and face contortions. But, for those 3, it attacks like if you turned the feature off no matter what you set it to. This is extra weird, because NiCO's reveal trailer actually has her getting punched (skip to 1:35).

Ayane and Eliot, who are also 18, are okay, though. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Wish the censored break blow looked like this in general. The different camera angle but without that stupid white hit effect

Oct 25, 2017
Man playing this local or on a smooth connection is amazing fun but playing it on line with lag and rematch dodging wifi warriors makes me fucking livid

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a ton of fun with the game the quest mode is pretty good about teaching you different aspects of the game I'm impressed. The costume unlocking has been ok for me so wish it was faster. I'm also having fun online as I don't take this game seriously so I just have fun having matches.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
Wish I had looked at this thread before buying this game so I would have known about that asinine idea to release this game without lobbies to play with friends.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Nice video

Does the $92 season pass really only come with the 2 KOF characters?
Yes. And close to 70 costumes.
DOA season passes are there more for costumes than characters.

If you care just about characters wait until they release and buy them individually (4$ for regular characters, and 6$ for guest characters). There's also "debut packs" which is one character + 5 costumes.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Does the game use any type of AA and just not label it? Even at 4K the jaggies are... weird.

Getting bad stutter on PC at 4k, 2080ti

Mhm, that's odd. I've got a 1080ti and 8700k, get flawless 4K/60fps except during character intro and outro. (which I don't really care about tbh, and that seems common in other fighters too.)

The stage with all the fire barrels is another rough patch, with some drops to 50's, even 40's, but just that one stage.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I have fun with Tina because I can turn my brain off and do like 50% damage in the blink of an eye.

I'd have even more fun if I could unlock her costumes and suplex ninjas in style. ☠

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't felt like costume unlocking is that bad yet. Idk. I'm still working my way through the quest stuff but I've gotten a ton fo parts there. The numbers you guys are quoting for the other modes sound whack as fuck, but DOA quest gives parts out like c andy. It's still not ideal, but I've got at least one costume I like for every character I care about, and several for characters I don't and still have like 60 quests.

Plus I got this so I'm fine.

I feel the same way. DOA Quest gives out like 200-300 points a pop so I'm unlocking costumes left and right. My only issue is that it's all randomized. I've done like 20 of them over the last hour or two and no new costume for Honaka yet

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way. DOA Quest gives out like 200-300 points a pop so I'm unlocking costumes left and right. My only issue is that it's all randomized. I've done like 20 of them over the last hour or two and no new costume for Honaka yet

Again, you'll get a few costumes, then you'll run out of quests. There are a lot of costumes that take 3-5 quests to complete. You have to get real lucky if 5 of your quests happen to randomly fall on 1 of 3 color variants between the dozens of costumes to actually unlock many of these costumes. You only get a little over 100 attempts, and when they're all gone, they're gone.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Phase 4 is fun

The new 2P+K Teleport cancels are pretty cool

Last edited:

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just played an online match- opponent used the same character...and had the same outfit. The game actually allowed for this instead of changing one of our costumes. That's kind of confusing and stupid. They did have a different hairstyle equipped, but it looked close enough to still make it hard to tell what was going on.