• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
92 dollars? Why is more expensive than the deluxe game?

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I find the models in this game so creepy. They look like those really expensive sex dolls people buy.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I find the models in this game so creepy. They look like those really expensive sex dolls people buy.
37002.jpg

Shoon

Dec 25, 2017
Started playing this morning, was going for the trophy that pertained to the 5 Ranked game win streak and beat 4 people... but my 5th match had a really poor connection and I couldn't do anything and ended up losing which really sucks hard. Overall enjoying the game though! Playing as Zack is super fun

My PSN ID is SeanStrange if anyone wants to hit me up

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer isn't the only one who faulted the game for stupid crap like that. The Sixth Axis gave the game a 7/10 because it "objectifies women." Give me a break with this crap.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Well, even if you get past the boob portion, they don't make the rest of the game sound that good either. Though I also have some complaints about the artstyle and other things like not having lobbies at launch. I'll have to see just how bad the story mode is. This should be fun.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing most of the night and having some fun, but there's some major issues with lag, possibly stemming from the netcode. Almost every single match I've played has some lag, with some matches being near unplayable with the amount of lag popping in. Before it's asked, it's not my connection, I've got a very speedy setup and the major lag is also happening when matched with 4-5 bar opponents.

I'm only playing on Xbox, so I don't know how it is on other platforms, but I only hope it's better than this.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing most of the night and having some fun, but there's some major issues with lag, possibly stemming from the netcode. Almost every single match I've played has some lag, with some matches being near unplayable with the amount of lag popping in. Before it's asked, it's not my connection, I've got a very speedy setup and the major lag is also happening when matched with 4-5 bar opponents.

I'm only playing on Xbox, so I don't know how it is on other platforms, but I only hope it's better than this.
Are you playing against people who are using wifi? (or are you using wifi?) That might be the problem. Try avoiding those and see if it helps.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not one to complain about reviews, but this is a terrible agenda-laden review. Interestingly, the same guy reviewed SCVI and made 0 mention of sexuality/boobs/skimpy costumes

Not a shocker at all. Cognitive dissonance is watching women in bikini armor getting assaulted into their undies not seeing anything and damning another game for... clevage.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one to complain about reviews, but this is a terrible agenda-laden review. Interestingly, the same guy reviewed SCVI and made 0 mention of sexuality/boobs/skimpy costumes

Eurogamer isn't the only one who faulted the game for stupid crap like that. The Sixth Axis gave the game a 7/10 because it "objectifies women." Give me a break with this crap.

SFV, SC6 etc. should be getting hit harder then.

Their default costumes are way more sexualized.

Remember how Cammy's entrance and Mika's super had to be 'censored'? Yeah.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still think that Cammy and Mika are way more insulting towards women that any design on DOA.

Except maybe La Mariposa

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big difference is SCVI didn't make its objectification part of their marketing. I do wish the devs would listen to the fans and get rid of it though (seriously, more fans want to see it gone than stay- though it's more because they don't like how the armor breaking hurts their dress-up)

I do think the hit was out on DOA6, though it won't have any real impact- the one genre where game reviews from commercial media matter the least is fighting games.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
EG review is sad, but unsurprising. Their entire coverage of the game had something of a mocking tone to it from the moment it was revealed. Well, it's nothing new. A couple of mates I used to play DOA5 with say it's good and that's all the reviewing I need.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
ivy-soulcalibur.jpg

With outfits such as this I'm not surprised DOA 6 was called out by the gaming press.

/s

Oct 27, 2017
So played this yesterday for an hour before going to sleep...what a blast.
I can't put my finger on it, but did they improve some things compared to 5? I feel the hit-detection is better in certain situations. I always had the feeling in 5 that you could kick people from the other side of the stage, because the hitboxes especially for kicks and even more with fyling kicks were odd. Side-Stepping also feels much better and viable now.
The physics are also a big improvement and I'm not talking about the pudding-wobble....oh lawd did they 180 their marketing.

Diego is actually super cool to play...I wasn't feeling him when he was revealed, but he is a legit Leon-timed-replacement, although I hope Leon comes back as DLC.
Christie with the long hair option is now god-tier-waifu.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
The big difference is SCVI didn't make its objectification part of their marketing. I do wish the devs would listen to the fans and get rid of it though (seriously, more fans want to see it gone than stay- though it's more because they don't like how the armor breaking hurts their dress-up)

I do think the hit was out on DOA6, though it won't have any real impact- the one genre where game reviews from commercial media matter the least is fighting games.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it.
Half or so of the major fighting game franchises are just as bad as DOA when looking at the actual content of the games, but none of the others have devs promoting their stuff with lewd mousepads...

Add to that that TN clearly knows that the west is tired of their shit to some extent, and while they are over here make all the right noises about how they've got woke, but as soon as they're back in Japan the marketing goes back into full otaku mode.
DOA is great, but Team Ninja are idiots.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

They explicitly marketed sex to sell soul calibur. Many times.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Man, does anyone follow the embargoes anymore? It wasn't set to go live until 6AM PST / 9AM EST. Is there going to be a review thread or is there one and I"m just lost without my coffee?

Also, I pushed our review live.

Dead Or Alive 6 Review - Fighter Till the End - 4/5 (Link)

Dead or Alive 6, is hands down the best title in the series. Lots of content, various modes to get you in fighting form and I found the gameplay incredibly fun. It's almost the total package, with the exception of the online lobbies not being in yet. Still, if that doesn't matter to you, a great time will be found in a game that doesn't take its self too seriously. Which is absolutely fine by me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35156

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I don't usually read reviews but got curious since it's being talked here and wow do they not like sexualized characters, like did the first 4 paragraphs had to be just complaning about the women? I would think just one paragraph would have been enough to convey the message but whatever.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Not exactly digging that the story cutscenes are video and seemingly not downsampled from high resolution renders. On PC the real time fights look significantly better than the cutscenes.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 version is ready and have the Steam version downloading now. Hyped!

I see that the Steam reviews are already "mixed," mostly from people complaining that there's no lobbies (doesn't seem like they know lobbies are coming) and pricing.

92 dollars? Why is more expensive than the deluxe game?

They did this with DOA5, too- it looks insane because it's all their DLC scheduled for the next few months being sold together- if you look at the prices for what the costume packs and DLC characters will be, it pretty much lines up with the other fighting games. You don't have to buy the season pass to get all that stuff and if it's like DOA5 was, they'll sell all the outfits both in packs and a la carte. The only thing you "miss out" on are two outfits for Nico and Nyotengu. Wouldn't surprise me if both of those outfits are just re-colors of existing outfits...they also did the same thing with DOA5, lol.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
I plan to get this, but as I'm just a button mash casual who won't be playing much on competitive multiplayer scene (if at all), how is the single player content on this game? Is the story mode meaty enough?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I plan to get this, but as I'm just a button mash casual who won't be playing much on competitive multiplayer scene (if at all), how is the single player content on this game? Is the story mode meaty enough?
The meat is in stuff like DOA Quest, command training, combo challenges etc. The story is apparently very short.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Story mode is about 1 hour and some change. Quest mode, however, is where you'll spend a large portion of your time. That and the very meaty training modes.

Even if you're a button masher, the game is very accessible.... until you run into someone who's awesome with hold/reversals.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that was pretty bad. Most of the review is complaining about single-player content and the costumes. Barely a snippet on online play, but to be fair there's no lobbies at the moment.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
There is a lot of single player, but the story is pretty short.

DoA is pretty beginner friendly. You should maybe try learning a character and going online, if you feel up for it. Fighting against the AI really diminishes on how good the fighting system is.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the way story mode is presented. Its chopped into little pieces, incoherent and utterly confusing.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 version is ready and have the Steam version downloading now. Hyped!

I see that the Steam reviews are already "mixed," mostly from people complaining that there's no lobbies (doesn't seem like they know lobbies are coming) and pricing.
I think people think the PC version is gimped yet again and just doesn't know it will be patched in later (DOA5 only has ranked matches on PC).

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Hopefully the resolution in cutscenes get better on PC asap! Game is nice, looking farward to play more. For now the funfactor is lower than Tekken 7, but higher than Soul Calibur 6.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
The meat is in stuff like DOA Quest, command training, combo challenges etc. The story is apparently very short.
Story mode is about 1 hour and some change. Quest mode, however, is where you'll spend a large portion of your time. That and the very meaty training modes.

Even if you're a button masher, the game is very accessible.... until you run into someone who's awesome with hold/reversals.

Ouch, 1 hour does seem pretty short. That's a bummer. I enjoyed DOA5 story mode back then and was hoping this one bring more. Oh, well...

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the way story mode is presented. Its chopped into little pieces, incoherent and utterly confusing.

Yea DoA 5 was similar. I get their approach to feature the columns representing each character and have the rows act as a chronology, so you could sort of see the big picture of events that occur like a detective stringboard at a high zoom level for all the players and what they are doing at similar moments in time. Yet it is disorganized and it's not that interesting enough to demand this sort of structure.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
They should have just delayed the game for lobbies. No need for such a glaring omission at launch.