• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Here's one that's probably not mentioned here so far: Shattered Horizon. It was a multiplayer FPS set in Earth's orbit with extremely low gravity. You could right yourself on any surface and fly around anywhere, making matches unpredictable. The developers ultimately disabled purchases of the game on Steam when they could no longer support it. They did at least add bots in the game's final update, but if you want to play it now you're out of luck unless you can somehow find an unused code for an obscure PC game that's over a decade old...
Damn, I was just Ctrl-F'ing my way through this to see if anyone had mentioned Shattered Horizon. Glad someone remembers it. I didn't like it as much when they added the extra guns in the firepower update. I liked my combo assault/sniper rifle. The best part was that you could power down your space suit so that you were running silent. You'd lose all the audio sound effects except for your breathing and your own gun (or bullets that were hitting you). In exchange you wouldn't show up on enemy radar and you wouldn't be highlighted on an enemy HUD. If you aimed yourself right before you shut down you could sneak up on people without alerting them and OHKO them with your pick.

The game was made by Futuremark Games Studios, the guys who make benchmarking software. It was restricted to DX10 only and even by late 2009, only 30% of Steam users had a DX10 GPU and Vista so the player base wasn't huge to begin with. It's probably one of my favourite multiplayer FPS games ever.

PIodo1n.jpg

What a game. Looked unbelievable for the time, and was the first 6DOF shooter I had the chance to play during it's heyday. I'd love for it to come back.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
Many mentions of Killzone. It needs to be remastered (60fps, FoV slider). Sadly, I never got into the third one; I only played the beta.

Metal Gear Online (all of them). MGO2 was sooooo fun; especially when the noobs join. "Git gud" is from MGO community.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bumping this thread since this doesn't deserve a new one, but as I scraped the internet today for old accounts I wanted to make more secure or delete, I stumbled all those free multiplayer games I used to hop between back in the day.

Lo and behold, Rakion (which some people have mentioned in this thread) was very recently put on Steam. Not gonna lie, I kinda want to replay it now. The game was really shallow, but the melee combat was pretty satisfying as far as I can remember.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The first GunZ: The Duel. I guess there are still some private servers now but it's probably just the top of the top playing there. Originally released in 2003 in Korea and 2006 everywhere else, it was shut down in 2012. Had a ton of fun in 06-09, really wish there were a modern equivalent with it's style of movement

I loved the original, and I played some GunZ 2, but it just didn't feel quite right. The lack of things like K-styling were really disappointing, as the dashes weren't as abusable.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
1 vs. 100 is the only one that I think is completely unplayable in any form to this day. I have nostalgia for Mario Kart DS and Halo 3 but if I wanted to I could probably play MKDS with a hack and people still play Halo 3 today. There's nothing else like 1 vs. 100 and it's completely gone.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Blacklight Retribution, which just shut down a year or so ago. This was a f2p game from around 2012 when f2p was (rightfully) a dirty word, but the game did it pretty well. It was basically a cyberpunk COD that included a built in wallhack that ran off a recharge time, and no mini map. So every half a minute or so you could literally see through all the walls on the map to locate enemies and allies. It even had a pretty flexible equipment and weapon system. Overall this was a really fun game during the hundred or so hours I played it early in it's lifespan.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
technically there's still a small community on PC, but Bad Company 1 and 2 were such great experiences on console. countless hours poured into both games

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Greatly depends on the definition of dead, but I'm gonna go with S4 League. Honestly blows my mind that there hasn't been a game that's taken those fantastic ideas and made them not a korean F2P (p2w) game.

GoxRx

Oct 27, 2017
1 vs. 100 is the only one that I think is completely unplayable in any form to this day. I have nostalgia for Mario Kart DS and Halo 3 but if I wanted to I could probably play MKDS with a hack and people still play Halo 3 today. There's nothing else like 1 vs. 100 and it's completely gone.

1 vs 100 was such a unique experience. I miss it too

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 2 Im still friends with somebody I met during the beta

More recently Destiny 1 especially Trials

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
It's a toss up between halo 2 and 3, loved both can't decide which one I like more. It's like comparing ds9 and tng.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Timesplitters Future Perfect, I used to go over at someone's place to play it online on their Xbox because they had an XBL subscription. They didn't mind letting me play because usually it would fall in line with their raid hours in WoW but we still wanted to hang out.

Game itself was fun online, solid community. Too bad my spoken English was trash (people still understood me) but yeah, had great friends and people made a lot of puzzle maps in the mapmaker. Those were basically a series of challenge and rooms were sometimes filled with players trying to reach the end.

Good times.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Unreal Tournament '99. Used to play on a Cain's Lair (https://www.cainslair.com/). I often think about the game and it's maps and the fun modifiers.

Runner-up, Day of Defeat 1.3.

I'm sure there's still servers but nobody plays vanilla and it's probably all bots.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

All three are still playable through unofficial means, but officially, all are dead. All three gave me some of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone says killzone 2 but for me it was killzone 3. I put over a hundred hours into 3's multiplayer

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team Fortress 2, before the September 2010 Mann-conomy update. This was the update that added loot crates, before anyone else in the West was doing it.

Is Realm of the Mad God dead? It dies and comes back to life every other time I look. It wasn't the same last time I tried; there weren't anymore level trains spamming the chat... I miss the chaos

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
No one said Natural Selection yet. What a sad thread.

Fuck natural selection was such a fun time. I'm pretty sad it never caught on.

Natural Selection was amazing. I'd never played anything quite like it before that and I probably played it obsessively for a good two years. The only thing that caused me to finally break away was the release of World of Warcraft. It was like trading one drug for another.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Warhawk.

dims

That game was everything during my sophomore year of college. Countless days spent in 4 player split screen coordinating strategies on-the-fly during some amazing CTF matches. Huge levels, infinite draw distance, well balanced vehicles & weapons, dog fighting, and a pitch-perfect arcadey representation of that adolescent 'army man' battlefield approach.

Beat me to it. I still think about Warhawk at least once a week. Such an amazing game

Jul 26, 2018
Transformers War for Cybertron (2010).

It has introduce me to competitive gaming or basically being a tryhard in games now. Loved it so much before it got infested with a game breaking glitch that makes players basically unstoppable and the devs have NEVER fixed the issues.

I would like to name and shame on the devs but idk if it's allowed here in the forums. I'm still pissed to this day. The game online life cycle could've lasted longer. Thankfully Fall of Cybertron was a big improvement though.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - Sad to have sen this community to die off after a few months. I loved doing runs when you had a good group going. I remember having a pretty badass Charlotte

maxresdefault.jpg

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
OG Halo 2 and Mechassault on the Xbox.

Halo 2 felt like such an insane Live game at the time. I spent WAYYYY too much time growing up there.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
assassins-creed-brotherhood-characters-multi-player.jpg

I miss Assassin's Creed Multiplayer. There's something satisfying trying to blend into a giant crowd, slowly sneaking up on your target to try and make the perfect kill... whilst at the same time, trying to keep an eye on your surroundings for any potential pursuers trying to claim the bounty on your head. Where you have to make the call between going for a stealthy flawless kill for a massive point reward, or getting a quick kill, then performing a quick escape before your pursuers catch up to you.

I don't mind the open world stuff they are doing at the moment, but this was the main way I enjoyed the Assassin Creed games before. So I hope it comes back at some point.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - Sad to have sen this community to die off after a few months. I loved doing runs when you had a good group going. I remember having a pretty badass Charlotte

maxresdefault.jpg
Man, I clocked hundreds of hours in this game. All those Claimh Solais runs, the miser rings runs, the winged boots runs, etc. Going as fast as possible with friends for optimal hunting. Even after they released the Getsu Fuuma chapter people continued asking for more but they just stopped supporting it.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Lead & gold (PC)
CC16B9810BAB9BB3F0B180F828ED086D8D6CCA84

This is me who recently download the game to see if it was still active and only found one player in game. Game was pretty good when i first purchased it when it launched but the many games of that year distracted me.

tokenflipguy

May 15, 2018
OG Titanfall and an active MGO1-2. Also Spies vs. Mercs, asymmetric multiplayer is great as a concept. The progression in Blacklist was a nice start to make the game replayable.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Jump Ultimate Stars... I reached the 999 hour limit way before I stopped playing it so I probably managed to get well over 3000 hours playing it by the time I stopped. So good.