• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You absolutely can. Just quit from the pause menu and it restarts you in the exact spot you were in.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I picked this game up a few days ago and have been absolutely loving it.

However I'm a little confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing now.

I have all the traversal runes, and I beat the Hand of the King. When I started playing on hard mode I assumed I would awarded way more cells, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. The rate enemies drop cells at seems more or less the same, and since it's harder I actually earn way fewer on a given run since I'm much more likely to unexpectedly die, and since I'm having to be more careful it feels extremely inefficient.

Because of that I feel like I'm better off sticking with "normal" mode until I unlock all the blueprints I currently have collected, but that is very quickly getting to be boring. I can very easily get to HotK every run now, whether or not I actually beat him depends on my load out but I win more often than not. So I feel like I'm kind of stuck between grinding out the forge, the final health flask, and other unlocks, which I don't find fun, or moving on to Hard mode, in which case it seems like it will take ages to unlock anything.

Am I missing something? Maybe the cell reward for beating bosses is significantly higher or something? I was really disappointed by the doors you can start opening, it seems like they're usually just additional stores.

I like I'm going to move on, I like the combat enough that I doubt I'll ever uninstall it but I feel like I'm not making any progress (that's another kind of annoying thing, new blueprints feel very few and far between).

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I picked this game up a few days ago and have been absolutely loving it.

However I'm a little confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing now.

I have all the traversal runes, and I beat the Hand of the King. When I started playing on hard mode I assumed I would awarded way more cells, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. The rate enemies drop cells at seems more or less the same, and since it's harder I actually earn way fewer on a given run since I'm much more likely to unexpectedly die, and since I'm having to be more careful it feels extremely inefficient.

Because of that I feel like I'm better off sticking with "normal" mode until I unlock all the blueprints I currently have collected, but that is very quickly getting to be boring. I can very easily get to HotK every run now, whether or not I actually beat him depends on my load out but I win more often than not. So I feel like I'm kind of stuck between grinding out the forge, the final health flask, and other unlocks, which I don't find fun, or moving on to Hard mode, in which case it seems like it will take ages to unlock anything.

Am I missing something? Maybe the cell reward for beating bosses is significantly higher or something? I was really disappointed by the doors you can start opening, it seems like they're usually just additional stores.

I like I'm going to move on, I like the combat enough that I doubt I'll ever uninstall it but I feel like I'm not making any progress (that's another kind of annoying thing, new blueprints feel very few and far between).

The thing more important than blueprints are the Forge upgrades, the ones that you can only make at the Blacksmith after each boss fight. Each upgrade increases the % or +, ++ and S items that you find in the game or buy on stores. I recommend you to play on normal until you unlock all possible Forge upgrades for the + items, that way you will have 100% of the items being + and able to upgrade to ++. After that you can play much easier on Hard and Very Hard difficulties.

The difference between Normal and Hard is not so big, although there are some new enemies, the game starts to be much more interesting on Very Hard and Nightmare, where we can see some enemies that are only available after that difficulties. Only after Very Hard difficulty you will already start earning double cells from enemies.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The thing more important than blueprints are the Forge upgrades, the ones that you can only make at the Blacksmith after each boss fight. Each upgrade increases the % or +, ++ and S items that you find in the game or buy on stores. I recommend you to play on normal until you unlock all possible Forge upgrades for the + items, that way you will have 100% of the items being + and able to upgrade to ++. After that you can play much easier on Hard and Very Hard difficulties.

The difference between Normal and Hard is not so big, although there are some new enemies, the game starts to be much more interesting on Very Hard and Nightmare, where we can see some enemies that are only available after that difficulties. Only after Very Hard difficulty you will already start earning double cells from enemies.

I see. That's what I figured. I really don't like grinding in any game, it quickly starts to feel like a waste of time. If I do all the easy biomes (Promenade -> Ramparts) I can get quite a few cells. I usually get both the time and no-damage doors in the prison, and always get at least the time one in the others. But running through them again and again gets old really fast (I did this to unlock the health and starting money upgrades as well, along with a ton of the blueprints).

I'd love to know the rationale behind making some of the unlocks cost so much, seems really pointless.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I see. That's what I figured. I really don't like grinding in any game, it quickly starts to feel like a waste of time. If I do all the easy biomes (Promenade -> Ramparts) I can get quite a few cells. I usually get both the time and no-damage doors in the prison, and always get at least the time one in the others. But running through them again and again gets old really fast (I did this to unlock the health and starting money upgrades as well, along with a ton of the blueprints).

I'd love to know the rationale behind making some of the unlocks cost so much, seems really pointless.

To be honest after you unlock like 30% of + items is very easy to make a full run with 400-500 cells, if you can beat all the bosses in a row on normal mode. So you can unlock the 100% of + quite fast. The problem start with the ++ that you must play on Hard to unlock 100% and the special that you have to play on even higher difficulty levels. I really don't see it as grinding, i see it more as training. Because when you are on 3 or 4 cells difficulty you are basically dead if you take two or three hits, so you really have to be almost perfect on those runs.

When you are making runs without taking hits from bosses and killing them easily it's time to increase difficulty. This is a game that you really have to be good to play on higher difficulties, the gear will help but will never be enough.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, this game is pretty good yeah?

I bought it a while back on sale for Switch and played a few runs and it didn't click. I decided to pick it back up because I was doing a fantasy football draft last night and needed something quick I could play in between my picks. Now here I am this morning playing it 3-4 hours straight.

I managed to beat The Concierge twice but haven't gotten past the Stilt Villiage. Those Pirate Captains and the maggot throwing things are fucking me up.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten to the Hand of the King twice and lost both times now. I haven't got a great feel on how to consistently dodge most of his attacks. I'd say I have around 20-25% of the jars filled at the start. Up to 20% + items with the Blacksmith.

Really like the game still.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly how am I meant to kill the HotK on BC1? Like how much DPS? I can barely dent the fucker. Plus I can't even refill flasks before hand. Plus all his attacks hit like 5m further than the actual animation makes it look.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damnit I still love this game. Why is it SO good??? It sucks me back in like monthly.
Exactly how am I meant to kill the HotK on BC1? Like how much DPS? I can barely dent the fucker. Plus I can't even refill flasks before hand. Plus all his attacks hit like 5m further than the actual animation makes it look.

Unlike the first run, in BC1+ runs, you kinda have to build for the last fight from jump street. The obstacles you meet before then are meaningless. You gotta plan for the endgame and power through the rest. I feel like it's easy to get pulled into a false sense of power when fighting normal enemies, earlier bosses, and elites.

When you want to win, you have to stack and build for the HotK. That's the only way to mount an offense capable of surviving the shit he pulls. That's Dead Cells, really. Whatever your preferred playstyle is, build for the last fight from the beginning. You can do this with Brutality, Tactics, or Survival. Def pick ONE early-on, tho.

Caveat: I am a horrible player on paper who manages to do ok. I never use turrets. I go hard on green weapons and shields. I stack green for days, and it makes this game so damn fun that I am fine with being just "ok" at it. Lol I haven't used a turret in DC since early access on Steam.

I love that the game allows for that, even if it's not optimal.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So talking about updates, they must of toned down the difficulty by a lot. Boss Cell 5 is way easier then it was before able to make it to the final boss way quicker and with lot less headache.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
How has this game changed from 1.0 up until now? I beat the game after 90 minutes or so and i got kinda confused. Later runs should be harder with more rooms to explore, right? Has thw difficulty been lowered as well? Because i died like 2 times at the start while learning everything and then it just... went to credits after dealing with bosses?

Should i give it a couple of new runs, is it worth it?

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
How has this game changed from 1.0 up until now? I beat the game after 90 minutes or so and i got kinda confused. Later runs should be harder with more rooms to explore, right? Has thw difficulty been lowered as well? Because i died like 2 times at the start while learning everything and then it just... went to credits after dealing with bosses?

Should i give it a couple of new runs, is it worth it?

You only beat the game for real in the 5 cells difficulty, the first difficult is almost like a tutorial because is too easy.

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
atm on BC2 i can get to first boss with no problems but the biomes after that are though, so i did go back to bc1 and farming cells to upgrade the forge.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
atm on BC2 i can get to first boss with no problems but the biomes after that are though, so i did go back to bc1 and farming cells to upgrade the forge.
This is exactly where I am at, but I am sticking with BC2 and trying to upgrade the forge after the Concierge. It feels a bit grindy, but consistently getting one door after the Prisoner's Cells and sometimes another after Promenade helps to make these shorter runs worth it... I think. It also lets me play a bit more freely since I am not saving my flask for the HotK (I sometimes try to plow through after, but I rarely get far because, as you said, those biomes get rough.)

Not sure if going for the Concierge AND Timekeepeer on 1 BC would be a better way to do it, but it might be. I just find the run to the Black Bridge to be so quick that I feel like I can get in at least two on BC2 in the time it would take to beat the Timekeeper in BC1.

Edit: Also, I got my fucking shovel finally!! Hell, that is not an easy enemy to use a Hunter's Grenade on. Love this weapon, though.

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
I have shit ton of games to complete, and yet Dead Cells is main game, and i quite like it and today unlock bc3

oh boi :D

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
yeah crossbow is fav weapon to use. ATM im stuck on bc3, i can "easily" reach the castle and hotk but i cant beat him, even with that brute force build.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed the game on Switch and really enjoying it. I have the game on PC since early access and played a lot back then but haven't touched it since the DLC or any of the major changes they have made via the patches since so it's nice to discover all the new stuff!

One small issue I have however... I don't know if it's me that just sucks or don't remember how it really was back then or if it's something caused by the fact that I have only played with the Joycons so far but I'm having a bit of a difficult time with the jumping?

I feel like I really need to get a running start to jump to most of the overhead platforms and it just feels like I am generally not jumping high enough when just pressing the button from a stand still...

So is it an issue on my end or is the game really like that?

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
two big achievements for me today, beat HoTK on 4bc

and the run after i beat the giant and unlock 5bc :D !!!!

so close to beat the game ehehe :')

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody playing the game on Switch using an 8BitDo Dongle and an XB1 controller?

The game works fine overall but I am not getting any kind of rumble... According to the 8BitDo website the dongle does support rumble with the XB1 controller... The option is turned on in the game and I have rumble when playing with the joycons...

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody knows if you can play the game on Switch with the official SNES controller they released last year?

I'm guessing the LB/RB/LT/RT situation is not ideal but I can't remember if you can rebind those in game?

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
Already unlock one weapon from the trailer and one outfit, now i will wait until tomorrow (release time is 2PM BST) and play the rest.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Has anyone else been having issues with the Switch version since the last DLC update? I'd been playing without issue for a couple of days since it hit but last night I undocked mid-game and it crashed to the dashboard when I finished the level I was on. Now every time I boot the game it crashes to the dashboard with an message that says "The software was closed because an error occurred." Usually right after I select my profile, but sometimes a minute or so into gameplay. I just tried deleting and redownloading the game but nothing changed.

I was really hitting a groove in my 1 cell runs too. :/

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I've gotten back into Dead Cells since the DLC release. I hadn't beaten the HotK until now but I finally did it, relying heavily on a Double Cross Bow Matic.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ooof, haven't played this game for ages and wanted to start again, but the controls are more complicated than I remember!

Love how it plays, I just need to rewire my brain for such a fast paced game again.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone else been having issues with the Switch version since the last DLC update? I'd been playing without issue for a couple of days since it hit but last night I undocked mid-game and it crashed to the dashboard when I finished the level I was on. Now every time I boot the game it crashes to the dashboard with an message that says "The software was closed because an error occurred." Usually right after I select my profile, but sometimes a minute or so into gameplay. I just tried deleting and redownloading the game but nothing changed.

I was really hitting a groove in my 1 cell runs too. :/

DLC came with a lot of bugs, I'm holding off playing more until it's patched.

If you check the subreddit the devs post in you'll see a shit load of bugs since the DLC patch.

/r/deadcells

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone knows a good up to date guide? I played Dead Cells years ago and there is so much new stuff I'm completely lost. Every guide I find is outdated.

Thanks guys!

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Anyone knows a good up to date guide? I played Dead Cells years ago and there is so much new stuff I'm completely lost. Every guide I find is outdated.

Thanks guys!
I usually use this wiki - the biome map is especially useful with all the new areas.
I don't like obsessing over wikis much for being a completionist about items, but I usually use this to map out a run or find areas I've never been to.

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
Anyone play this on pc with gamepass? Bought the dlc and got to play it a couple times before it stopped running altogether, now I start it and it quits to desktop after a few seconds.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
sooo.. bump. I forgot how to run fast in dead cells and I can't work out how to do it?

googling finds me nothing.
Are you talking about the Speed Boost?
You kill a lot of enemies really quickly, or you have items where you get a speed boost for killing an enemy. Either way you be killing something.
Keep killing to keep the speed boost. I think there is a mutation you can get that lets it stay longer too...

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I replayed this for first time since it launched and got to the final boss, then got absolutely owned. Livid! I've never beaten that bastard

Oct 2, 2018
Are you talking about the Speed Boost?
You kill a lot of enemies really quickly, or you have items where you get a speed boost for killing an enemy. Either way you be killing something.
Keep killing to keep the speed boost. I think there is a mutation you can get that lets it stay longer too...

i havent played it for a while but i remember being able to hold a button and run through the map to get to the various timed gates/doors and now it feels like maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Oct 2, 2018
I've gone back to this game on PS4 and I gotta say, maybe they've updated it or maybe I moved on after beating the king but all this time away and the boss cells has made this feel like a new game. Lots and lots of new unlockables too.

The new don't take damage to open door thing is also new

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Very very LTTP but been playing this on Xbox game pass and love it. Some runs are just awful but then everything falls into place, love it. Yet to beat the hand of the king and need to get the spider rune but really like the way you can just chip away at improving even though you are restarting a run.

Any tips appreciated!

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Woop just beat it for the first time - had a lot of luck with gold drops on a run and rinsed it - that was epic