• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
There was an update for Switch earlier that was supposed to fix toxic cloud issues in handheld mode. Anyone had a chance to test if it's any better?

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Where did you see that the update released ? I'm Interested in the outcome too
I got a notification the other day that the game updated. Checked Reddit and someone mentioned the update was for the toxic clouds. I can't find any official wording on that though, so it might not be true.

That said I did a couple of runs yesterday and it felt better in handheld. Even with a toxic build there wasn't much slowdown. However I could still get the game to drop in some areas by basically spamming lots of abilities with crazy effects in mob dense areas. So it's possible they did fix the clouds, but it's not always 60 FPS still.

If someone else could test that'd be great.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I got a notification the other day that the game updated. Checked Reddit and someone mentioned the update was for the toxic clouds. I can't find any official wording on that though, so it might not be true.

That said I did a couple of runs yesterday and it felt better in handheld. Even with a toxic build there wasn't much slowdown. However I could still get the game to drop in some areas by basically spamming lots of abilities with crazy effects in mob dense areas. So it's possible they did fix the clouds, but it's not always 60 FPS still.

If someone else could test that'd be great.
It definitely seems improved. I had a run going with some toxic elements and continued playing it after the patch - immediately better.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely seems improved. I had a run going with some toxic elements and continued playing it after the patch - immediately better.

Globally how is the framerate in handheld since the last patch ? I've got mixed answers on the global framerate. Well i will bite this time and if the framerate is not perfect i hope it would not bother me too much.

Last edited:

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Globally how is the framerate in handheld since the last patch ? I've got mixed answers on the global framerate. Well i will bite this time and if the framerate is not perfect i hope it would not bother me too much.
It's not perfect, but it's perfectly fine. I haven't ever had a problem playing dead cells in handheld mode, and the big recent update only made things lots better other than the toxic bug, which also now seems to be fixed.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Turned on Dead Cells for the first time since its first month of release. Beat Hand of the King on my first run. First time. Really enjoyed discovering and using new stuff. Re-balancing makes the game much better. I'm guessing they reduced the damage the boss does to you because I never lasted very long on him previously. I'm hooked again.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I unlocked some awesome Sword after I paid the Collector for it but then I died soon after. How do I get it back??

edit: Crap according to Google it looks like it will be a pain to get it back til I unlock other stuff

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to go back to this last week after giving up on it when it first came out because I struggled to beat the Concierge. Now that I've worked out his moves he's a walk in the park and I laugh every time I come across him.

At the moment I've managed to unlock every rune except the spider one because I can't beat that giant eye ball thing (but I've only fought him once). I've also not been able to beat the boss in the clock tower yet either, sigh.

I know my skills are pretty average, but I'm determined to beat the game cos I love playing it. I'm around 300 Cells away from unlocking the 4th? health flask, I know once I have that it should make those two bosses I'm struggling with a lot easier.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I haven't played this game myself, but an animation studio whose work I like announced they animated a new trailer for it in case you guys are interested:

(nsfw timeline warning)

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit the caverns are pretty big. A screenshot at max zoom
]https://i.imgur.com/kb8StDi.png

Also, I updated my balance difficulty mod for 1.2
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1605500508

-BC0 is the same.
-BC1 has the same level of enemies but you never find the fountain broken, like in BC0. Instead, the broken fountain starts at BC2, and it gets progressively worse up to BC4, where there are no fountains.
-BC2 and BC3 has a notably lower level of enemies (damage/hp), basically I only added +2 to the previous level. So for example enemies at Clock Tower in BC1 are level 21, 23 at BC2 and 25 at BC3.
-BC4 is the same as BC3 on enemy level, I considered the other misc. effects (bigger quantity of enemies, extra elites, malaise effect and the extra aggressiveness) was enough.
-As always, you also gain extra cells with the mod, because who have time to grind 900 cells for 3 skins.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when, time ago, I thought there were two ways to build your character, tanky (balancing the three stats) or glass cannon (maxing one stat), but in reality the latter is much better. A higher damage output really overcomes the lesser HP pool, and by a fair amount. If you melt everyone in one or two hits, even in the last levels, it doesn't matter if you have 30% hp less.

I'm learning now that Caverns gives suspiciously high loot, I could swear it's dropping items one level higher than what you find in the equivalent biomes (Sepulcher, Clock Tower). Useful information for everyone.

Now, instead of promoting my own mods, I will promote this one:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi.../?id=1699403562

…which allows to play the new last biome and last boss fight at any difficulty, and not only in BC5. It works by skipping the Hand of King fight and jumping to the new biome in that point. You always can turn off the mod if you wanna fight HoK again.

Also, holy shit is the new last boss super brutal. Even in BC0 he owned me hard.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
yoo guys finally beat the final boss on Switch yeaaa

Lol olha quem ele é :P

Guys, need some advice.

Been on the fence of buying Dead Cells since...well, since it came out on the Switch.

Thing is I'm still trying to find that one roguelite game that makes me fall in love with the genre.

The main issue is the lack of sense of progression. From what I've seen Dead Cells let's you keep part of your loot after you die, right?

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Lol olha quem ele é :P

Guys, need some advice.

Been on the fence of buying Dead Cells since...well, since it came out on the Switch.

Thing is I'm still trying to find that one roguelite game that makes me fall in love with the genre.

The main issue is the lack of sense of progression. From what I've seen Dead Cells let's you keep part of your loot after you die, right?
You can get some permanent upgrades, but mainly you just unlock new items that can show up in future runs. That in itself is also a bit of an upgrade, since it gives you more options and flexibility, but most of your ability to do better comes from getting better at the game.

If you want a roguelite with some serious progression and permanent upgrades, check out Rogue Legacy.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
Finally I have beaten Dead Cells for the first time, after a 1 hour run.
There was a locked door at the end. What do I need to search for to open this door?

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I havent played since late last year. There was a pretty huge update on the PC that was making its way to the Switch eventually.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yep https://www.nintendo-insider.com/free-dead-cells-rise-of-the-giant-dlc-out-next-week/

Motion Twin has announced that the free Dead Cells: Rise of the Giant downloadable content will release next week.

To become available on Thursday 23rd May, this will introduce a new biome and boss for you to take on.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Is the free dlc out in US switch? The news section says it is but it's still shown as 'coming soon' in the store

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell

Rise of the Giant out everywhere on everything. Except Xbox as they "discovered a last minute bug in the Certification process".

Played for a bit on PS4. Haven't seen the new area yet but it's actually impressive how my most hated enemy was dethroned in a whooping five minutes. Fuck those new shooter guys.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So I had custom mode.unlocked on Switch. Downloaded the update and now custom mode is greyed out. I even bear the game in normal mode, and custom is still locked.

How do you unlock it again? Or is it just me?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
So I can't find this anywhere online. I just got to the end for the first time finally and the king is there with a shield, and there's a passage to the right I could go as well. I'm not sure what to do? What happens if you don't kill the king and just move on? What happens if you do? Took me forever to get here so I want to understand my choices haha

already beat the hand and got the weapon

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You have to kill the king. The passage doesn't open up until you have all the boss cells - it only became available with the latest patch.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Thank you guys! Realized my folly after I had the guts to try to open it haha

Holy shit hard mode is rough. Nice having some challenge again

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Man 1BC is alot more manageable in Custom mode with Health refills turned on for each level and start with lots of gold. I've gotten further than I ever have, nice for scrubs like me!

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I double-dipped on the Switch version and am playing through trying to NOT unlock stuff I already know I don't care for. It's tough, because the good general unlocks (flasks, etc) require so many others.

I am a Survival player, and most of the blueprints I've gotten are red/purp. Granted, those unlocks can be super-useful for colorless/legendary items (Hayabusa Gauntlets, Rapier, etc,) but it's still slow-going.

Managed to beat it on normal and get to 1BC much quicker than my first Steam playthrough, but I have a lot less stuff unlocked. Was fun and challenging playing from nothing to 1BC going green the whole way, though. My parry game is better than it's ever been. Oh, and I beat it with one of my least-favorite melee weapons: a broadsword, because green. I feel like the buff it got has warmed me to it. Nice touch.

The Switch port is great, btw. Hot damn.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I need some help and tips!

Just finished my first HotK run. Felt awesome! I did zero research prior to this, but now that I've cleared the first step, I feel justified in looking stuff up to build more effectively and have better success.

Any good guides or videos to check out to help learn how to move forward and make smart progress? Learning how to make good "builds" and whatnot?

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help and tips!

Just finished my first HotK run. Felt awesome! I did zero research prior to this, but now that I've cleared the first step, I feel justified in looking stuff up to build more effectively and have better success.

Any good guides or videos to check out to help learn how to move forward and make smart progress? Learning how to make good "builds" and whatnot?
so you are on 1BC now? just start filling up your + and ++ and S bars to max. That will help all subsequent runs. and Use custom mod to take out weapons you dont like right now.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man, I just beat the final boss yesterday for the first time and I literally destroyed him. It wasn't even fair.

This game is so much fun. How do I acess the DLC area?

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Beat 0BC yesterday! Having looked online you get 1BC from beating the boss again, does the ending change at all or is it going to be the same until 4bc which is when I know it changes?

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, I just beat the final boss yesterday for the first time and I literally destroyed him. It wasn't even fair.

This game is so much fun. How do I acess the DLC area?

You might have figured it out already but,
Once you beat the game, the Giant will make a hole in the starting area (right where you grab your starting weapons).
Go in the hole, go to the end (using the Homonculus rune, the one where you detach your head) get the key.
Then in the Graveyard you'll find a door to use the key on to access the DLC area(Caverns).

Beat 0BC yesterday! Having looked online you get 1BC from beating the boss again, does the ending change at all or is it going to be the same until 4bc which is when I know it changes?

Great in depth description of changes from Boss Cells, https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/Boss_Stem_Cell

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
You might have figured it out already but,
Once you beat the game, the Giant will make a hole in the starting area (right where you grab your starting weapons).
Go in the hole, go to the end (using the Homonculus rune, the one where you detach your head) get the key.
Then in the Graveyard you'll find a door to use the key on to access the DLC area(Caverns).

Great in depth description of changes from Boss Cells, https://deadcells.gamepedia.com/Boss_Stem_Cell

Hey thanks, im actually asking more from a story point of view, I know that there are a few endings to the game, but it seems like they dont really kick in unti lyou get to 4BC and 5BC? Seems like 1BC and 2BC are very similar in terms of cutscenes/ final boss etc?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
On the PS4, can I close the game during a run without losing my progress? I'd like to play something else..