• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
You can beat the game with the starting gear without upgrades. Hell, people did starter sword + shield runs on 4 boss cells and beat the game. It is a skill-based game. It just has random equipment/upgrades that can make the game easier. This does not change the fact that you can simply play well enough to not take damage. There are no enemies in the game that force you to get hit unfairly. If you do not get hit, you will eventually win.

"people did" = 1-5 people worldwide maybe .-) the game is cleverly made because it makes you think it is skill based when it is not...it is more about rolling around like a madman, collecting scrolls and items and that was it. hell you can even speedrun the game without killing any enemies, how is this skill based? there are no complex patterns which you must decipher to dodge, it tells you with a fat exclamation mark.

even an very casual player can go to the final boss in this game if he has the right upgrades.

you sir, are definitely under the topmost players with 8hours played and already running 1cell mode without probs, don´t underestimate that .-)

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
This game is way too fun. Before I know it it's already been 6-7 hours and multiple runs.

I am getting to that point where ("first" playthrough) I am just restarting to get decent weapons before I start a run and/or when to look for a cheesy build just so that I can beat the HOTK. Mainly looking for a freeze and slow build so that I can beat it. Turrets, bows, crossbows, nades, etc. Bosses can build a resistance to ailments correct?

I just want to beat it and then I can worry about everything else. I had the HOTK at ~20% health until I panicked lol.

Glick

Oct 25, 2017
"people did" = 1-5 people worldwide maybe .-) the game is cleverly made because it makes you think it is skill based when it is not...it is more about rolling around like a madman, collecting scrolls and items and that was it. hell you can even speedrun the game without killing any enemies, how is this skill based? there are no complex patterns which you must decipher to dodge, it tells you with a fat exclamation mark.

even an very casual player can go to the final boss in this game if he has the right upgrades.

you sir, are definitely under the topmost players with 8hours played and already running 1cell mode without probs, don´t underestimate that .-)

You do realize this is completely contradictory, right? You're saying the game is not skill-based, and that yet I must be in the topmost players. That means that skill is impactful.

Saying the game is about rolling around like a madman is absurd. Stop doing that and you might learn how to actually be good at it. You honestly sound ridiculous at this point, lol.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
What happens if you quit during a run? Does the continue start from the beginning of the level?

Edit: Nevermind. Just risked my Twin Daggers II-L and tried it, I'm good.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten the awful hammer or the spartan boots like 6 out of my last 7 starting weapons. It's tedious restarting because it's negative fun to start with those weapons.

That system is less than great to me.

And does anybody have a screenshot of what the challenge room runes look like? I have no idea what I am looking for.
The challenge room runes look like the breakable wall runes that usually contain health items, except they're on the floor.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
When you pay to reset mutations between levels do you get to pick 3 new ones all at once or do you have to earn 1 per level again?
You get to pick all 3 right away.

Do you only get the boss cells if you play online? Or is there no animation for them, can't seem to have picked up anything.
Just beat 2nd boss, how many is there? Current character is something I really don't want to lose.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
You do realize this is completely contradictory, right? You're saying the game is not skill-based, and that yet I must be in the topmost players. That means that skill is impactful.

Saying the game is about rolling around like a madman is absurd. Stop doing that and you might learn how to actually be good at it. You honestly sound ridiculous at this point, lol.

if you think i sound ridiculous-so shall it be.
but that doesn´t change the fact that the game is about rolling around like a madman or parrying like a madman. or do you stand still and let yourself get hit?

and no, it isn´t contradictory because-again-the problem is the final boss of this game and nothing else. the game is beatable by everyone who bunks a certain amount of time into it-when you are a good player you can beat it faster than others who might need longer but come to the same results. but that fact alone doesn´t make it a "99% skill based game".

Take Hollow Knight for example, Nightmare King Grimm was more complex than anything in Dead Cells movewise...you had to memorize attacks, anticipate them...nothing like that is in Dead Cells at all

it is reaction based and infused with itemization to make the way easier where you have a lootsystem which gives you godlike weapons on certain runs which trivialize any real challenge there might be bar of the final boss and that´s because of the insane health pool.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I really love the game but I find it a bit....weird?

Like I know I'm actually making progress since I now regularly get to the first boss (still have to kill it) but, unlike with other similar games, I don't actually feel like I'm making progress? lol

Not sure how to explain it but it's just weird haha. It's like sneaky progress lol.

The only traversal upgrade I've got so far is the Vine one (I got the totem/statue/whatever they are called back in the days in early early access but I started a fress save at release).

I still have a ton of things in the world that I have no idea how to use/access (high vertical jumps, the key doors, the wooded doors with different numbers of circles on them, etc) so there's plenty of mistery....

Anyway... Like I said, I love it but I just have a tough time gauging my progress.

Oct 25, 2017
You get to pick all 3 right away.

Do you only get the boss cells if you play online? Or is there no animation for them, can't seem to have picked up anything.
Just beat 2nd boss, how many is there? Current character is something I really don't want to lose.
If you mean the special boss cells that increase the difficulty you only get those from the final boss.

Thanks for answering my question!

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Was having a solid run with a legendary electric whip. Thing took out enemies like nothing. Then I came across a cursed chest for the first time and didn't know what it was...

Oh.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Was having a solid run with a legendary electric whip. Thing took out enemies like nothing. Then I came across a cursed chest for the first time and didn't know what it was...

Oh.

I found one of those electric whips! It was awesome, I managed to kill The Concierge on my 2nd try because of it.

Haven't seen a cursed chest yet though...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This game is pure action game bliss. Speed running to catch the time gates is fun as hell too.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really love the game but I find it a bit....weird?

Like I know I'm actually making progress since I now regularly get to the first boss (still have to kill it) but, unlike with other similar games, I don't actually feel like I'm making progress? lol

Not sure how to explain it but it's just weird haha. It's like sneaky progress lol.

The only traversal upgrade I've got so far is the Vine one (I got the totem/statue/whatever they are called back in the days in early early access but I started a fress save at release).

I still have a ton of things in the world that I have no idea how to use/access (high vertical jumps, the key doors, the wooded doors with different numbers of circles on them, etc) so there's plenty of mistery....

Anyway... Like I said, I love it but I just have a tough time gauging my progress.

Yea the way I am seeing it as a slow burn, like I'll be playing this here and there and eventually get all upgrades, etc.

At first I was iffy since I don't play roguelite (roguelike?) games but this is $30 well spent. I can see myself sinking hours and hours into this.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't know there is a little trick to beat conciege or even levels. If are having trouble getting close to beating them but die and then rage quit. Right as the concierge killed me, I quit the game. It took me right to the fight again. I did this 5x and it worked each and every time. It must be the game saves on the pause moments at beginnings of levels.

I am playing it on PS4. In short, as you die, just hit ps button and quit the game, it should take you right back to the last save point.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow Ossuary looks great-

tumblr_mkqgnzryK21r3gb3zo1_400.gif

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
So is the Switch version not ideal here? I'm hearing it has performance issues.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can get to the final boss consistently, and I actually haven't died on any of the other bosses, but I keep losing to him :/

Is there an optimal path for getting there? If you go via Prison Depths you get one more zone, and more upgrades.

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
Started playing on Switch today, seems to be running fine for me but I'm not as sensitive to these things as others might be.

I legit fucking adore this game. It's the only game I got on early access and now playing it on release, it's still so satisfying.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yea this game is seriously fucking good.. Death's Gambit is out on Tuesday it's going to be so hard splitting my time between both AND Octopath.

Glick

Oct 25, 2017
I can get to the final boss consistently, and I actually haven't died on any of the other bosses, but I keep losing to him :/

Is there an optimal path for getting there? If you go via Prison Depths you get one more zone, and more upgrades.

Be careful getting too many upgrades. I've found that they make the final boss way too tanky. When going for wins I tend to prefer just going the normal route.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Best I've been able to do is getting the final boss down to like 30% or so, so far. Maybe one day, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to the throne room for the first time with my tried and true dual trap/freeze blast combo. Managed to take off a 3rd of his life before he died. I feel confident i could have taken him if i had gotten a chance to heal up.

Immediately start a new run and get all the same items i had last run in the opening level. That feeling when the RNG works in your favor :)

Edit: Died in the sewers. Fucking hubris -_-

Last edited:

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

Switch version definitely has performance issues. I've had runs where the second area was stuck at 20-30 fps and was barely playable and then I've had runs to the first boss that were mostly playable 60fps with mild drops to the 40's. There's always this annoying stutter though every so often where it feels like the game pauses for a split second and your character jumps across the screen. There have also been reports about later levels that have more enemies getting really bogged down...but I haven't made it past the first boss yet.

The devs have commented on it and said their top priority is to fix the performance issues on the Switch version. An update isn't expected until November at the earliest. It kinda sucks that they knew the game had major issues and didnt release a statement until late in the day it launched, while previews for the game made no comments about performance, or only played the first few areas.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Switch version definitely has performance issues. I've had runs where the second area was stuck at 20-30 fps and was barely playable and then I've had runs to the first boss that were mostly playable 60fps with mild drops to the 40's. There's always this annoying stutter though every so often where it feels like the game pauses for a split second and your character jumps across the screen. There have also been reports about later levels that have more enemies getting really bogged down...but I haven't made it past the first boss yet.

The devs have commented on it and said their top priority is to fix the performance issues on the Switch version. An update isn't expected until November at the earliest. It kinda sucks that they knew the game had major issues and didnt release a statement until late in the day it launched, while previews for the game made no comments about performance, or only played the first few areas.

Yeah that would drive me nuts. I'm really on the fence. I'd see me playing this much more on Switch than I would on any other platform, but if I have to wait until November for a patch then I should probably hold off until then.

MochaD124

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to the final boss for the first time! Seems doable but he definitely has a ton of health after I went through 3 flasks to take down only a quarter of bar. Got a solid handle on the enemies leading up to him though and I am confident about taking down both bosses on the way even with a mediocre set-up.

Getting FTL vibes from the game now where I can feel when a run is going to fail when my gear isn't effective or synergising well. The feeling when you get that perfect drop that fixes your build is fantastic though.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
For those who don't know there is a little trick to beat conciege or even levels. If are having trouble getting close to beating them but die and then rage quit. Right as the concierge killed me, I quit the game. It took me right to the fight again. I did this 5x and it worked each and every time. It must be the game saves on the pause moments at beginnings of levels.

I am playing it on PS4. In short, as you die, just hit ps button and quit the game, it should take you right back to the last save point.

I can confirm this works on the Switch as well.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say how much it warms my heart to see this thread being a front page darling. Despite the misgivings and wishes for this being a different kind of game, this is seriously one of the best games that has been released in this decade.

I played it in early access on Steam. I know what it started as. I loved it in EA. I also love it now. In fact, I think it's better now. The gameplay loop feels better and the threat feels greater.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to switch over to a controller (previously I'd done all my runs on mkb) and maaaaaaaaaaan this is taking some getting used to lol. Didn't even clear the Promenade of the Codemned in 3 runs lol. I keep mixing up inputs!

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
OMG I feel so dumb, I was having an amazing slow run, tons of HP, a legendary dagger, great mix of weapons up to the clocktower, and like an idiot i opened a cursed chest not knowing exactly what it did. Died from the 1 hit with 3 kills to go :(

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to switch over to a controller (previously I'd done all my runs on mkb) and maaaaaaaaaaan this is taking some getting used to lol. Didn't even clear the Promenade of the Codemned in 3 runs lol. I keep mixing up inputs!

Dude. This is 100% a controller game. Get used to it and you will do a LOT better than you did on mkb.

Like, emphatically.

The rhythm of ground-pounding and rolling-through is a Zen staple of this game, and once you realize it, there's no going back.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Back in the early access days I had an electric whip that did 4x damage but I received 2x. That thing fucking melted everything.

I dream of that weapon in my current runs

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Does anybody run without maxing brutality? With how the bosses work and how you need to put zero points in the other stats to make them worthwhile (e.g. shields always parry and ice bows/magic will always freeze) it seems really overpowered? Especially at the end game when you'll be getting the big health increases due to the 2 stat scrolls anyway.

MochaD124

Oct 25, 2017
OMG I feel so dumb, I was having an amazing slow run, tons of HP, a legendary dagger, great mix of weapons up to the clocktower, and like an idiot i opened a cursed chest not knowing exactly what it did. Died from the 1 hit with 3 kills to go :(

I'm glad I found out about them from the thread before I tried opening one when I had a good bow. They really don't seem worth it compared to the risk you are taking to get the loot.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
In Hollow Knight if you exit and reload your game it sends you back to a bench with everything you had earned when you exited.

Two games I'm playing that have this lol

Oh ya...I remember hearing about that. Never used it because it seems like a cheap tactic. I doubt anything can be done about it at this point and ultimately it doesn't really matter since it's a single player game, but it does make other players feats less impressive since they could have easily abused this tactic.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I am addicted to this game on Switch. I keep saying to myself, "One more run" get killed and start again. This game is a lot of fun. I cant wait to dig deeper.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the bosses are still crazy bullet spongey, hey? The dude on black bridge is so braindead simple, but without proper DoT and kiting (or range) it takes like 20 minutes to kill him after he hits 50%. Really was hoping they nerfed some of the boss HP in this.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
I started this up again after not playing for months. I don't really like the way they changed the stat upgrade system, but everything else seems to be improved in a big way. Looking forward to putting even more hours into this.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, had the best run going, got some legendary gold whip that did like 500 dps on my like 8th run. Accidentally opened a cursed chest in stilt village and died to 1 hit :(

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, got to the castle now and holy shit the difficulty spike is real, what were they thinking? I'm getting downed in 5 hits.