• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for this. Does it reward grinding ala Rogue Legacy?
More or less, yeah.

Rogue Legacy was my favorite indie game prior to Dead Cells. Well, it still might be, but Dead Cells is right next to it now too. Or the other way around. It was also Rogue Legacy that got me into the roguelike genre in the first place, so it's cool to see all these comparisons between the two being said or asked.

Mar 21, 2018
More or less, yeah.

Rogue Legacy was my favorite indie game prior to Dead Cells. Well, it still might be, but Dead Cells is right next to it now too. Or the other way around. It was also Rogue Legacy that got me into the roguelike genre in the first place, so it's cool to see all these comparisons between the two being said or asked.

There is certainly a grind and the reward in this game leans towards RNG everything unlike Rogue Legacy rewarding grind with permanent upgrades like more hp or dmg done.

Only played 20 hours on the PC, but it doesn't open itself to grinding per-se. You can try doing the first map give your cells, die, and repeat but that would be boring.

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
a lot of people referencing rogue legacy are probably gonna get their feelings hurt. I absolutely hated rogue legacy. and it is nothing like it outside of being a rogue-like. please don't go into this game thinking it is like that. Rogue legacy has a ton of bullshit that just pisses you off. dead cells actually tries to be a competent game that always feels "designed" even though it too is randomly generated.

The combat is light years better than RL. You dont feel limited. You feel powerful even with low end gear because of the constant stream of loot pickups you find.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Are there any known graphical or performance-wise (load times?) differences between Switch and PS4 version?

After comparing videos I feel like they might have cut back some effects on Switch, but that's just my initial impression.

MochaD124

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered to save $5 after hearing all of the praise Jason from GiantBomb was giving the game.

Loved playing Rogue Legacy and from the impressions in this thread Dead Cells will be more of that with more refined gameplay which I am definitely down for.

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it on Steam a year ago and enjoyed it a bunch. I stopped playing after a couple of hours to wait for the finished product.

Bought it on Switch. Very excited for tomorrow. It's the closest thing we have to Contra.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
I have avoided anything rogue-related in games up to this point as I've never been a fan of perma-death, but this one is interesting looking so I have a few questions:

- If you die you start back at the beginning but any power ups, shortcuts or anything like that, that you've unlocked is saved right?
- Can you save at save points like you would a Metroid game or do you have to do each run all at once and the only save point is essentially the beginning of the game?
- Is this procedurally generated or is the whole game handcrafted?

Sorry if these have been asked or are easy to find answers for but thanks in advance.
There's a few types of progression. There are skills you can unlock to get past specific types of obstacles. These are permanent skills - once you get them you always have them.
There are weapons and combat items (e.g. grenades, turrets, throwing stars, throwing torches, etc) you can unlock but you can only equip 2 weapons and 2 combat items at any given time and there's some randomness here. At the start of each life you are given a choice of three weapons - all drawn randomly from your unlocked roster. You will find weapons and combat items strewn throughout the levels and some enemies may be marked as elites - significantly harder optional enemies that will drop a weapon when they die. There are also merchants and treasure chests that'll have them. Each weapon and combat item can have random properties which you have the ability to change. Each also has an inherent item level - the farther you are in the game the higher level the items will be.
There are also passive bonuses (e.g. life steal on kills, extra health, shorter cool downs for grenades, etc) you can unlock and every time you clear a stage you can add one up to a max of three.

You can save anywhere (including your current location) by quitting to the title screen.

Procedurally generated levels, enemy placements, item and merchant locations, etc.

As far as castlevania style combat goes, this is the best playing action platformer I've ever experienced. It feels great.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ok so you start the beginning of a level over after death, or the whole game? If it's the latter what keeps you from losing your mind? Dark Souls and Hollow Knight have Fires and Benched respectively. I know this isn't the same type of game, I'm just seeing if it's for me.

The whole game starts over, and the permanent upgrades keep you coming back.

So I've never played a 'rogue' anything in my entire life...is this the definition of the genre essentially and/or a major component? This sounds absurdly not-fun but clearly people love this game and I do want to finally give this genre a shot.

For fans who may have the patience, what is the appeal a game that literally starts over when you die?

PS: I'm not being snarky or sarcastic whatsoever if it reads that way.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So I've never played a 'rogue' anything in my entire life...is this the definition of the genre essentially and/or a major component? This sounds absurdly not-fun but clearly people love this game and I do want to finally give this genre a shot.

For fans who may have the patience, what is the appeal a game that literally starts over when you die?

People keep coming back because the combat in this game is just that good for the type of game it is. It is fluid and responsive and you learn from your mistakes. Sometimes the RNG screws one of your runs over though. However, there are perm benefits you can upgrade that do make the game "easier" in a sense.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

it's a more arcade experience in which you do "runs" through the game. Each run you do differs from the other, so there's an infinite amount of gameplay you can experience, in theory. (I haven't played the game myself yet but that's the deal with roguelikes and lites)

Dec 6, 2017
US
People keep coming back because the combat in this game is just that good for the type of game it is. It is fluid and responsive and you learn from your mistakes. Sometimes the RNG screws one of your runs over though. However, there are perm benefits you can upgrade that do make the game "easier" in a sense.

it's a more arcade experience in which you do "runs" through the game. Each run you do differs from the other, so there's an infinite amount of gameplay you can experience, in theory. (I haven't played the game myself yet but that's the deal with roguelikes and lites)

Wait, do you start over when you essentially run out of a few lives or continues like back in the day? Or is it literally game starts over after your health bar depletes (or whatever there may be)?

So it doesn't have traditional level layout/design I assume and is very short if you have to beat it in one go or not at all?

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I suck at these games, is it possible to grind to make my life easier?
Kinda? There are some upgrades that will definitely make life easier, such as starting with more healing items and having a higher chance of dropped items being of higher quality. Besides that, it's all about finding the right weapon and learning enemy pattern.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, do you start over when you essentially run out of a few lives or continues like back in the day? Or is it literally game starts over after your health bar depletes (or whatever there may be)?

So it doesn't have traditional level layout/design I assume and is very short if you have to beat it in one go or not at all?
You have significantly more health (and ways to recover health) than the old arcade games so each single life ends up lasting more than a single quarter would get you back in the day.

Once you die, it's a new game. There is a single-use upgrade you can choose that gives you a second life, however.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

You have one life, so if you die, you'll get booted back to the title screen and have to start a new game again. The appeal of rogue-likes/lites is that over time you unlock more and more weapons or upgrades, and that your skill as a player and knowledge of the game's systems improves with each run. You're meant to beat the game in a single run, and once you do you can start speed running.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Alright, thanks everyone.

I'm still not sold on the actual idea of this rogue business but...gotta try something new to see if you like it after all so fuck it, I'll pick it up sometime soon especially at that price point. God help me, I hope I don't suddenly develop an insane obsession with a new genre and go buck wild buying my way through its history.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've been debating over whether I want to pre-purchase this on the Switch or not. Exactly how difficult is it supposed to be?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, thanks everyone.

I'm still not sold on the actual idea of this rogue business but...gotta try something new to see if you like it after all so fuck it, I'll pick it up sometime soon especially at that price point. God help me, I hope I don't suddenly develop an insane obsession with a new genre and go buck wild buying my way through its history.

I'd recommend buying it on Steam, then. You can play up to 2 hours and then get a refund if you find it's not your thing.

If you do love Dead Cells, then you'll lose track of time as you think "I'll just do one more run."

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017

Start over when the health bar depletes. The level layouts are different each run. Both are the defining features of the genre.

Don't think of it as the equivalent of starting a non-roguelike from the very beginning though. Most games on the genre take around an hour to complete an entire run. The longevity is borne out of getting good enough to complete a run in the first place and then good enough to consistently complete runs regardless of the loot drops.

Oct 27, 2017
According to someone on the Switch sub reddit, the game unlocks on all platforms at midnight in your local area except in the states where it unlocks at midnight Pacific. So 3 am for people in the east.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I love Castlevania-style action platforming, but Roguelike trappings don't really do anything for me and I don't have the patience for mastering intricate combat systems.

Will I like this game?

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
Combat : Are there light/heavy attacks and combos and juggling? You can have at most 2 skills and 2 consumables right?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Combat : Are there light/heavy attacks and combos and juggling? You can have at most 2 skills and 2 consumables right?

You can have two weapons, two skills/tools, and 2 grenades. Weapons have one attack, no light/heavy, but there is a combo if you repeatedly tap the attack button. Skills and grenades have a cool down before they can be reused. You can cancel attacks by rolling, but no juggling in my experience. I last played the game over six months ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Edit- Gear consists of skills and grenades, so one of each, or two gear/two grenades, but not two of both

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
You can have two weapons, two skills/tools, and 2 grenades. Weapons have one attack, no light/heavy, but there is a combo if you repeatedly tap the attack button. Skills and grenades have a cool down before they can be reused. You can cancel attacks by rolling, but no juggling in my experience.
If I understand right you can also continue the combo after rolling right?

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
If I understand right you can also continue the combo after rolling right?

For sure, at least with some weapons. The twin blades, for example, are a 3-hit combo with a critical strike on the third hit. You can atk+atk+roll+crit and then the enemy explodes and it's fantastic.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
One great tip for anyone who doesn't know: You can cancel your attacks by dodging, and then you can even cancel your dodge with an attack! This allows you to shorten the length of your roll and land yourself exactly where you want to.

Now, unrelated to that...
Getting the Bell Tower Key took me almost an hour. My hearing isn't bad but any musical puzzle really does my head in.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017