• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Is this game noob friendly? Ive been watching some videos on youtube and it seems pretty fun. But one of the biggest dedicated channels I saw seemed really toxic and had whole videos dedicated to trash bad team mates when playing solo.

I always say there's absolutely no problem if you're not good, the most important thing in this game is that you know what you do and what's to do. That's so much more worth than being a juke king or having the "best" perk build.
Watching fun let's plays (I can highly recommend Ohmwrecker for this, he's the reason I started it) and playing a few rounds and google your questions after that helps a lot.
And again, just knowing the basic things. Like that 80% of all killer have "Barbecue & Chili" equipped, which means they see the aura of all survivors after hooking someone for a few seconds, but if you see him picking someone up and you go into a locker until like 5 seconds after he hooked him, your invisible to him. So always go into a locker when he downs someone and picks him up.

Stuff like that.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Is this game noob friendly? Ive been watching some videos on youtube and it seems pretty fun. But one of the biggest dedicated channels I saw seemed really toxic and had whole videos dedicated to trash bad team mates when playing solo.

When I first started a few weeks ago, I felt like I had to play super hardcore on both survivor/killer side and try to win. But after a few matches where people played to just farm dailies/bloodpoints (especially with party streamers) or killers letting me go, I learned to just play to have fun. There'll always be some toxic people sometimes but it's not that big a deal because games tend to be over pretty quick either way.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the responses!

Ended up playing a lot of this today and it was great, other than one instance of getting hate mail. I dont even really know what the issue was, the person accused me of camping the hooks after I hooked someone? Not sure why you wouldnt do that, its bait.

I still dont really have a grasp on the perks or anything yet. I purchased leatherface because he is one of my favorite horror icons, had a blast playing as him.

Also is there an issue with finding matches as a survivor? It was taking forever, so I would switch to a killer and it would work almost instantly.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the responses!

Ended up playing a lot of this today and it was great, other than one instance of getting hate mail. I dont even really know what the issue was, the person accused me of camping the hooks after I hooked someone? Not sure why you wouldnt do that, its bait.

I still dont really have a grasp on the perks or anything yet. I purchased leatherface because he is one of my favorite horror icons, had a blast playing as him.

Also is there an issue with finding matches as a survivor? It was taking forever, so I would switch to a killer and it would work almost instantly.

Because it's unfun for the person getting camped and at higher ranks, will make it harder to progress. It's also technically detrimental for bloodpoints. Since the counterplay to camping for survivors is to just rush the generators. Then both sides don't get points from doing chases, hooks, saves, etc. and everyone loses out.

Survivor/killer queue times depends on time of day. If one side is slow, play the other side for fast queue times.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ended up playing a lot of this today and it was great, other than one instance of getting hate mail. I dont even really know what the issue was, the person accused me of camping the hooks after I hooked someone? Not sure why

You don't camp the hooks in DBD as killer. That's the golden rule number 1. Like Dracil above me says, the game, or rather the progression and point system, is build around chasing people, downing them very often, hooking them very often for killers and (safely) unhooking people very often, escaping from chases, having long chases, doing gens for survivors. You need a healthy balance of everything in this game to rank up and get enough points. Just rushing the gens as survivor or killing all 4 survivors in 2 minutes because you camp leads to nowhere.
Your ultimate goal in this game is not "I have to get all 4 survivors every round" or "I have to escape with all cost" (I know some people would disagree on this part) to have a successful round, in my eyes, your goal is to have a long round in which you did a bit of everything and helped (as survivor) to bring your goal forward. Your mindset in this game has to be "It's completely ok to die and not get out". If your actions ultimately helped your team members to get out or just to fullfil more tasks, it's a bigger success than just escaping.

Oh and since I mentioned save unhooks. That's one of the biggest mistake beginners make cause they just don't know how important it is and it hurts your rating massively. A lot of beginner try to just unhook someone whenever they can, but you have to make sure the person you unhook doesn't get hit for around 10 seconds (or so) to have a save unhook, if it isn't save and the killer actually hits him within that timeframe, it will give you a huge amount of negative points in the (I think) first category and it can instantly drop you down from gold to bronze, or even to nothing.
So save your unhook by all cost, even if you have to take the hit, it's important.

The only long queue time I had since I came back was yesterday evening in Europe around 10-12pm, like 3-5 minutes. Besides that it's always super fast thanks to the now crossplay.
And even these 5 minutes are nothing to how long you had to wait on console back in the day.
In 2018 and 2019, it was completely normal on PS4 to wait 20 minutes to get into one match (sometimes longer). It was painful. The average on good days was slightly above 10 minutes. It was completely messed up and over time, over years, they slightly improved that more and more but it was never really great. I remember around the end of 2019/beginning of 2020, if it worked, it was pretty good with around 5 minutes, but they introduced a nasty matchmaking bug that was there for months where some of your teammates just stayed back in the search lobby while the rest gets thrown together with random people, or where one of you almost always got a lobby disconnect while joining a lobby. As a team player, it was painful again and a relatively fast waiting of time of 5 minutes instantly doubled when some of these errors happened.

Also, back then it was completely normal, unfortunately, that you got into a lobby after 10 minutes of waiting and then the killer simply leaves the lobby because they didn't like the items all of you brought with or when he looked at PSN profiles quick and suspected you to be in a team. The killer had none of that and noped out, which made 10 minutes of waiting down the toilet.
That could happen around 80% of all times and was also painful. It was an absolute miracle to me that the game didn't completely die (at least on console) just because of that connection lobby nonsense, like who wouldn't quit this shit after 2 nights? Well, I didn't (not until early 2020), but still. 😅

Also, back then we didn't had the wonders of people joining lobbies after you got connected to one and someone of the survivors left. If you got connected to a lobby and one of the survivors decided their teammates doesn't fit and he left, you had to leave too cause there wasn't a mechanic that let new random people join in.
Can you amagine that today?
Also, back then there were no dedicated servers.

The good old days.

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Been a minute since I've played. What are y'all running for survivor perks lately?

depends on if i´m solo or grouped up :D

solo:
Bond
Lithe
Adrenaline
We´re Gonna Live Forever

group:
Borrowed Time
Adrenaline
Detective´s Hunch
Lithe/We´ll Make It

bonus tryhard loadout:
Unbreakable
Tenacity
Adrenaline
Iron Will

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
Iron Will, Dead Hard, Spine Chill and either Kindred, Borrowed Time or We're Gonna Live Forever in the last slot.
depends on if i´m solo or grouped up :D

solo:
Bond
Lithe
Adrenaline
We´re Gonna Live Forever

group:
Borrowed Time
Adrenaline
Detective´s Hunch
Lithe/We´ll Make It

bonus tryhard loadout:
Unbreakable
Tenacity
Adrenaline
Iron Will

Thanks, dudes. Will try these setups. Usually play solo and am rusty at chases atm.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Have been playing killer on and off today and have had only one teabagging survivor. A personal best.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Thanks, dudes. Will try these setups. Usually play solo and am rusty at chases atm.
It's the right time to comeback. Lots of brand new killers and Survivors. I've had multiple survivors tonight that literally had no perks because the tutorial is still trash and doesn't really teach you that part of it.

My partner who is a survivor main has encountered multiple killers with no perks as well.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
My personal 2 mandatory perks for all my suvs. Dead Hard and Decisive Strike. The other 2 I toss around depending on who I'm playing with. Alone, I pick Open Handed and Kindred or Unbreakable, Soul Guard. If I'm playing with people, Spine Chill, Resilience or Iron Will, Borrowed Time.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, thanks for all of these great recommendations. I'm tempted to try them all and hopefully find the set that can finally aide me to getting into those single digit ranks.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Got Adept Legion yesterday, was very shocked as it was my 2nd time playing as them and I haven't even unlocked their slot 4 yet lol.

I really want the Robbie the Rabbit skins but I'm always a bit errrr on the side of buying Killer skins coz it's always in first person.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Got Adept Legion yesterday, was very shocked as it was my 2nd time playing as them and I haven't even unlocked their slot 4 yet lol.

I really want the Robbie the Rabbit skins but I'm always a bit errrr on the side of buying Killer skins coz it's always in first person.

My personal thought about this is that I don't always need to see my skin. I know I have it so I don't need to be reminded 24/7. Like, real-life is also first Person, still you want to dress yourself nicely, you want to look good for others, so similarly I have much more fun buying and using skins specifically to show it to people. I want them to see my goofy Christmas Clown and I damn sure want them to see the original Scream costume. But maybe that's just me. 🤷‍♂️

We still see the weapons tho. 😛

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does the anniversary start today?

Edit: Thank you! What a shame, lol.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Any Demo mains here?

Is he fun to play? Thinking about investing in a new killer and the demo buffs have made him stronger and better to play.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
When you guys are picking your perks, do you have a mindset of what "role" you're aiming to play? I'm referring to solo because obviously as a team I'm sure organizing tasks is much easier.

So, for instance, do you go in and say, hey, this is a gen build? Or, this time I'm gonna focusing on chases and loops?

I think I need to better identify my strong points and understand how I can benefit a team instead of trying to be a jack of all trades. Does this make sense?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
When you guys are picking your perks, do you have a mindset of what "role" you're aiming to play? I'm referring to solo because obviously as a team I'm sure organizing tasks is much easier.

So, for instance, do you go in and say, hey, this is a gen build? Or, this time I'm gonna focusing on chases and loops?

I think I need to better identify my strong points and understand how I can benefit a team instead of trying to be a jack of all trades. Does this make sense?
I run a mix of team perks and solo perks unless I'm doing a meme build.

I usually run Kindred, BT, Inner Strength, and WGLF. Kindred and BT for safe efficient unhooks, Inner strength so I don't need to rely on medkits or teammates for heals and I get rid of totems, and WGLF for anti-slugging and extra bloodpoints.

I don't think any of the gen perks are worth it.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
I run a mix of team perks and solo perks unless I'm doing a meme build.

I usually run Kindred, BT, Inner Strength, and WGLF. Kindred and BT for safe efficient unhooks, Inner strength so I don't need to rely on medkits or teammates for heals and I get rid of totems, and WGLF for anti-slugging and extra bloodpoints.

I don't think any of the gen perks are worth it.
I really need to get better at finding totems for Inner Strength to be beneficial for me. Any tips? I thought about adding that perk that makes totems and traps discoverable within a certain distance, but I thought it may be a waste of a slot.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get better at finding totems for Inner Strength to be beneficial for me. Any tips? I thought about adding that perk that makes totems and traps discoverable within a certain distance, but I thought it may be a waste of a slot.

i often run Detective´s Hunch to find Hex Ruin etc. and i think it´s worth it until you learn the totem spawns

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
After a while you just memorize the possible spawn locations for totems. Each map has is different. For example in Springwood(Freddy's map) totems can spawn next to the generator in the boiler area, in a corner next to the possible basement spawn in the same area, under the stairs in the basement of the house with garage, in between clustered shrubs, next to concrete block tiles, and other places.

You could bring small game or detectives hunch until you've gotten the hang of it.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
i often run Detective´s Hunch to find Hex Ruin etc. and i think it´s worth it until you learn the totem spawns
After a while you just memorize the possible spawn locations for totems. Each map has is different. For example in Springwood(Freddy's map) totems can spawn next to the generator in the boiler area, in a corner next to the possible basement spawn in the same area, under the stairs in the basement of the house with garage, in between clustered shrubs, next to concrete block tiles, and other places.

You could bring small game or detectives hunch until you've gotten the hang of it.
Yeah, I think it's Small Game that I have. I'll try that for a while until I get the totems memorized.

I usually run Kindred but haven't been using Spine Chill or anything like that lately. I'm trying to get better at paying attention to my surroundings more than relying on the notification because I feel like it makes me leave tasks prematurely.

What are your guys' thoughts on detection perks?

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

on solo i don´t, as you need to be quite flexible on what the situation is. So i often run overall useful perks that will help me and the team all the time. Bond, Lithe, Borrowed Time, Adrenaline, Iron Will etc.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
on solo i don´t, as you need to be quite flexible on what the situation is. So i often run overall useful perks that will help me and the team all the time. Bond, Lithe, Borrowed Time, Adrenaline, Iron Will etc.
Thanks, dude! At one point about a year ago I was doing really well, and then I come back recently and just feel anxious and am not seeing the growth in skill that I want.

I watch all the suggested youtubers and for a minute I feel hyped and then once I'm in it, I keep reverting back to my old mistakes.

I think I'm way too hard on myself but this is one of the multi-player games I do enjoy and it's like, damn, I wanna be good at it or at least make some headway.

Edit: I think I need to sacrifice rank for experimentation to allow myself to fail and figure out what works for me. However, after the rank reset and the fact I haven't been on in awhile, I'm back at rank 20 so I'm not getting the team support I need.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday and today are the first time I've played in ages. Sadly don't think I'm gonna find the gnome at this rate. Oh well. The perk of rank decay at least is that it's given me a chance to try a new killer without having too stressful a match.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday and today are the first time I've played in ages. Sadly don't think I'm gonna find the gnome at this rate. Oh well. The perk of rank decay at least is that it's given me a chance to try a new killer without having too stressful a match.

it´s easiest as Wraith, kinda sandbag the game so the survivors can open a door and won´t just run out instantly. Then just haul through the map while invisible looking for it :D add Windstorm addons for even more speed.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Man, I know exactly why I only play killer for challenges. I hate it so much. I'm mostly being in red and violet ranks as survivor and having super fun there, but as killer, everything under rank 16 is pure pain. Currently 15 and I swear to f'n god that I have at least one survivor clown every single f'n round who plays like he's the absolute god with mocking me as killer, trying to bait me, running circles around me and looping like I'm half as fast as he is.
It's so crazy how much the experience and just the look at the gameplay differs between killer and survivor. As survivor I never have the feeling I'm faster, if I can't make the killer turn around in loops and trick him and he straight follows me, he catches me in like 3 seconds. As killer, I can't catch up for the life of me.
And even if that works, then they all playing like super gods, hiding under hooks at end game so that you can't f'n hook one, distracting, taking hits and of course the first gens fly in like 15 seconds, every single game at around rank 15, like what the heck.

And then you play survivor and your random teammates play like it's their first time. Still fun, cause the gameplay loop is chill, but as killer, it's frustrating, annoying and blood boiling.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Man, I know exactly why I only play killer for challenges. I hate it so much. I'm mostly being in red and violet ranks as survivor and having super fun there, but as killer, everything under rank 16 is pure pain. Currently 15 and I swear to f'n god that I have at least one survivor clown every single f'n round who plays like he's the absolute god with mocking me as killer, trying to bait me, running circles around me and looping like I'm half as fast as he is.
It's so crazy how much the experience and just the look at the gameplay differs between killer and survivor. As survivor I never have the feeling I'm faster, if I can't make the killer turn around in loops and trick him and he straight follows me, he catches me in like 3 seconds. As killer, I can't catch up for the life of me.
And even if that works, then they all playing like super gods, hiding under hooks at end game so that you can't f'n hook one, distracting, taking hits and of course the first gens fly in like 15 seconds, every single game at around rank 15, like what the heck.

And then you play survivor and your random teammates play like it's their first time. Still fun, cause the gameplay loop is chill, but as killer, it's frustrating, annoying and blood boiling.

Is it possible you're playing loops incorrectly?

Killers have a wider hitbox than survivors so they can't get as close to a wall as they can, which lets survivors take corners really well and allows them to loop well. The distance you catch up to survivors is actually not very fast, for most killers the killer only gains .6 meters per second, so a survivor 20 meters away takes around 30 seconds to catch up to when straight holding the W key. The distance they catch up is even smaller when their hitbox makes them take wider turns on tight loops.

If you take corners wide or your pathing isn't tight as killer then you can get extra loops in. I would practice movement and work on getting tight angles in on survivors and it should help out a lot. I would do this for both sides as learning to take loops right is what makes the survivor part fun (for me). I'm all about the 1v1 on both sides though.

Even when you're good at killer though, it gets pretty stressful sometimes. The way I see it, DBD has a competitve and a casual mode and that is killer and survivor respectively. I have to be in a mood to play killer, but can hop on a survivor match anytime without much thought.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just had one of the best chases I've ever had xD

Must have been a solid 2-3 minutes running around killers shack against pyramid 🤣

They must have been so frustrated lol

I'll try and post the clip later