• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Make double bloodpoints base ability and rework BBQ to just give the info

That way I can run Thrilling Tremors instead.

yeah this is sometimes brought up from streamers too, the perk system could use some entirely new overhauls. Like choosing one Main Buff -perk slot that´s like double xp or other passive boost, one Hex slot for a totem and then 3 normal perks for example.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Vast majority don't have the ability? It feels like 95% of all Spirits I go against know exactly where I am like they're f'n hacking, it's very rare to not get a spirit as killer that can pinpoint you no matter what you try.
To hear when a survivor is walking or crouching away, with Iron Will on, when you don't have Stridor? Over the chase music?
I think that's pretty incredible. Not doubting that some people can do it, but I do think it's maybe a tiny bit exaggerated to say that one can do it perfectly every single time. If you're a Survivor main, I recommend either playing some matches as Spirit or going into a custom lobby with a friend to test this out. Because I certainly can't hear every tiny detail AND do a perfect chase every single time in that condition.

You're assuming that's what your team is doing. Most of the time that isn't the case. I'm red rank for both survivor/killer and the amount of boosted red ranks are insane. In solo queue, which is what I play 99.9% of the time, the whole drop every pallet on your first chase will get everyone killed because there will be no resources left for others to use when they get chased. Sometimes no gens get done in that chase.
Well that doesn't really have anything to do with Spirit, does it? If you're in an amazing chase against a killer for several minutes where you use up some resources and your fellow survivors aren't doing gens in that time, you likely aren't going to be winning that match.

I mean low rank killers can shit the bed as nurse but it doesn't mean they don't have to balance every perk around how strong it'd be on her. Any decent spirit will have headphones and have basic tracking skills.

It's not really a mind game when only 1 person has information imo. For survivors it's always down to guessing. As a spirit I can see grass move or hear where you're running which makes all of the information 1 sided. Survivors will have no idea where I'm phasing or if I'm even phasing at all.

Shit, you can "outplay" a survivor by letting go of your keyboard/controller to take a sip of your drink. They will have no idea if you're phasing and will walk into you. I've seen people get 4ks without ever using spirits power, just pretending like they phase while survivors freak out. It's not like there's a ton of nuance on survivor side. You just hope they don't hear you. Iron Will and doubling back I get caught with my pants down all the time if the killer has headphones.

You operate under the assumption that casual play will work with Comp strats. Anybody can hold W and pre throw every pallet on the map. That counters all killers besides the nurse. If your team is not ultra coordinated though, then that will just leave entire areas of the map dead and leave all future chases to be quick downs while you still have 3 or 2 gens left. Please don't do this.

For what it's worth, I played my spirit until I unlocked all perks on her, so I'm very familiar with how her counter play works. There just really isn't any. I've stopped playing her as killer because it just feels like bullshit.

You know it's funny, when I was engaging in this conversation last night I wasn't aware this was a hot button issue in the community earlier this month. I don't pay attention to streamers and ended up leaving the reddit awhile ago, only checking in when something specific happens. But I did some catching up on it and what I found was that even the people arguing that Spirit is OP disagree with you that only one person has information.

He agrees that in this instance you are both "guessing". And that's been true in my experience as well. I think either you are exaggerating or (more likely) you didn't play against Survivors who were trying to mind game. Like if they were just running everywhere, in a straight line, and loudly vaulting over stuff, yeah then you are going to know where they are. You can't play against Spirit like you would against other killers.

But both you and this video then imply that this is only something that would matter in like... competitive stuff. And I don't think that's accurate either. I'm sure this has been posted here before:
SJvHJks.jpeg

Now, I do agree with people that I think this chart can be misleading and we shouldn't make sweeping assumptions about it (for example, I think we can all agree that Nurse has lower stats here because she's harder to use properly for new players). It is, however, a pretty decent look at how things are going across the board. Spirit is one of the higher ones here, for sure, but if what people are suggesting were true, it would be dramatically higher. Clearly players are able to survive against her, it's not just comp.

All that being said, I'm personally not against some slight rebalancing. If they were to give her a specific animation she consistently did while phasing, that would give the survivor more information keeping the core gameplay of the Spirit untouched. I do think that the fake-outs were likely unintended. I'm not trying to argue that anything in this game is perfectly balanced. However what I do see, very often, are people who don't learn how to handle a killer beyond the basic default chase and then complain that they're IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFEAT. That's just not true. You can play against Spirit, it's just different. And maybe the Spirit mindgames isn't fun for you, that's fair. I don't like playing against Doctor at all, but it's not impossible to do so.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Is Freddy really THAT strong? 🤔
I don't think it's that he's that strong. He's just a low entry Killer. He can teleport all across the map directly to generators and has some good slow down abilities as well.

It doesn't take long for you to figure out how to use him properly what's makes it easier at lower levels to get kills.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Pretty sure Scott made a video where he was playing Spirit against a "pro" survivor and the chase didn't last more than 50 seconds.
There's no mind game with Spirit, just pure luck and guessing.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Pretty sure Scott made a video where he was playing Spirit against a "pro" survivor and the chase didn't last more than 50 seconds.
I mean yeah I literally just posted a video from him talking about it.

And forcing a Spirit to guess IS mind games. It's not like they're going to be just picking a random spot as their guess, they are going to look at the layout of the area and try and think ahead of you as to where you would go. You throw this off by going somewhere else. This is mind-gaming. You can find this type of mind-gaming to not be fun but that is indeed a separate issue.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

yeah, especially with addons mixing it up so you can´t even count seconds from when the Spirit starts phasing etc. :D it´s just luck and it is silly, but it´s still just one killer who has to walk up and smack people with a sword twice, which is her only downside. So hopefully the rest of the team indeed does just slam gens while one is being chased.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Is Freddy really THAT strong? 🤔

No not at all. Freddy is just solid and good against lower rank survivors. Those include rank 20 and rank 1 games combined into 1 which is why Nurse, the undisputed strongest killer, is at the very bottom. Freddy has strength for pub games - slowdown on loops, a teleport, slight invinsibility and how he's the shortest survivor standing up.

To hear when a survivor is walking or crouching away, with Iron Will on, when you don't have Stridor? Over the chase music?
I think that's pretty incredible. Not doubting that some people can do it, but I do think it's maybe a tiny bit exaggerated to say that one can do it perfectly every single time. If you're a Survivor main, I recommend either playing some matches as Spirit or going into a custom lobby with a friend to test this out. Because I certainly can't hear every tiny detail AND do a perfect chase every single time in that condition.

Well that doesn't really have anything to do with Spirit, does it? If you're in an amazing chase against a killer for several minutes where you use up some resources and your fellow survivors aren't doing gens in that time, you likely aren't going to be winning that match.

You know it's funny, when I was engaging in this conversation last night I wasn't aware this was a hot button issue in the community earlier this month. I don't pay attention to streamers and ended up leaving the reddit awhile ago, only checking in when something specific happens. But I did some catching up on it and what I found was that even the people arguing that Spirit is OP disagree with you that only one person has information.

He agrees that in this instance you are both "guessing". And that's been true in my experience as well. I think either you are exaggerating or (more likely) you didn't play against Survivors who were trying to mind game. Like if they were just running everywhere, in a straight line, and loudly vaulting over stuff, yeah then you are going to know where they are. You can't play against Spirit like you would against other killers.

But both you and this video then imply that this is only something that would matter in like... competitive stuff. And I don't think that's accurate either. I'm sure this has been posted here before:
SJvHJks.jpeg

Now, I do agree with people that I think this chart can be misleading and we shouldn't make sweeping assumptions about it (for example, I think we can all agree that Nurse has lower stats here because she's harder to use properly for new players). It is, however, a pretty decent look at how things are going across the board. Spirit is one of the higher ones here, for sure, but if what people are suggesting were true, it would be dramatically higher. Clearly players are able to survive against her, it's not just comp.

All that being said, I'm personally not against some slight rebalancing. If they were to give her a specific animation she consistently did while phasing, that would give the survivor more information keeping the core gameplay of the Spirit untouched. I do think that the fake-outs were likely unintended. I'm not trying to argue that anything in this game is perfectly balanced. However what I do see, very often, are people who don't learn how to handle a killer beyond the basic default chase and then complain that they're IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFEAT. That's just not true. You can play against Spirit, it's just different. And maybe the Spirit mindgames isn't fun for you, that's fair. I don't like playing against Doctor at all, but it's not impossible to do so.

Spirit has been a hot topic since release to be fair. She'll always be a bit controversial in her current state.

I don't think spirit is impossible, it's just not built off of reads. No killer in DBD is strong enough to overcome the 4v1, but spirits 1v1 is insane. While sometimes loops are too small to get the perfect read, you generally have a pretty good idea of where they are. Unless they're standing still and got there before you did, you will probably find them. Stuff like grass is insane tracking when playing spirit. If you run around and avoid grass then your scratch marks will pop off in a readable way as well. The times I have the most trouble tracking is when I run Stridor, mostly because I think they're closer than they actually are.

It could be more manageable if her addons weren't so broken. She has some that do way too many things and make it so after they break a pallet they can catch up while you're in between loops, and in those you won't be able to mind game a good spirit.

You can easily remove chase music as well by looking away before phasing so you lose LOS with survivor. Chase music makes it harder but it's not like that's an impossible hurdle. Especially with nice headphones and an external amp.

Personally, I think her phasing footsteps should be a lil bit louder so survivors can try to play downed pallets, they should make the ambient noise while not in chase louder (to help muffle footsteps), add an animation for going into phase and then a complete rework of all her add ons.

On top of that buff lightweight to muffle footsteps just because that'd be fun.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No not at all. Freddy is just solid and good against lower rank survivors. Those include rank 20 and rank 1 games combined into 1 which is why Nurse, the undisputed strongest killer, is at the very bottom. Freddy has strength for pub games - slowdown on loops, a teleport, slight invinsibility and how he's the shortest survivor standing up.

So should I try to figure out how Nurse works so I can get good enough with her to win games? Or is she a bad idea for console? 🤔

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Spirit has been a hot topic since release to be fair. She'll always be a bit controversial in her current state.

I don't think spirit is impossible, it's just not built off of reads. No killer in DBD is strong enough to overcome the 4v1, but spirits 1v1 is insane. While sometimes loops are too small to get the perfect read, you generally have a pretty good idea of where they are. Unless they're standing still and got there before you did, you will probably find them. Stuff like grass is insane tracking when playing spirit. If you run around and avoid grass then your scratch marks will pop off in a readable way as well. The times I have the most trouble tracking is when I run Stridor, mostly because I think they're closer than they actually are.

It could be more manageable if her addons weren't so broken. She has some that do way too many things and make it so after they break a pallet they can catch up while you're in between loops, and in those you won't be able to mind game a good spirit.

You can easily remove chase music as well by looking away before phasing so you lose LOS with survivor. Chase music makes it harder but it's not like that's an impossible hurdle. Especially with nice headphones and an external amp.

Personally, I think her phasing footsteps should be a lil bit louder so survivors can try to play downed pallets, they should make the ambient noise while not in chase louder (to help muffle footsteps), add an animation for going into phase and then a complete rework of all her add ons.

On top of that buff lightweight to muffle footsteps just because that'd be fun.
The one thing I want to point out is that you keep talking about finding the Survivors when they're running, but that's what I'm saying NOT to do. You run to a pallet, you drop the pallet, and then you do something to throw them off. Maybe you slow vault the pallet again, maybe you slow vault a window, or maybe you just WALK (not run) in an unexpected direction. These are the things that open up counterplay because the Spirit now has to ask themselves which of these things seems most likely in the current situation/map. That's why I keep saying that you have to play differently against Spirit but if you do then it is far from impossible. If you just run and fast vault like you were playing against a killer who can see you then yes, it will be very easy to know where the Survivor is.

Everything else you said I have no issues with. Her addons definitely need a pass for some rebalancing and there's a few other little things they could do to make her a bit easier to manage. But I also don't want the IDEA of the Spirit to be lost in the rebalancing. I like that there's a jump scare ghost killer. I say this as someone who plays Survivor 70% of the time, it's just a fun idea and I do like some of the mind-games I've been able to pull off against her. And the few times I do play as her, I enjoy that too. So I don't know if I'd personally take the "make footsteps louder" approach because letting the Survivor know 100% of the time exactly where she is defeats the purpose and would turn he into a M1 killer without a power. I think something like letting the Survivor know for sure when she is phasing would be a better balancing choice.

But either way, my point of contention was the idea that you just couldn't win against her, with people saying you should just DC because there's no penalty. I think that stuff is super unhealthy for the game and people should be trying to learn how to play against a killer instead of dropping when they're up against one they struggle with. And every killer has a group of new survivors who claim they're impossible to beat.

So should I try to figure out how Nurse works so I can get good enough with her to win games? Or is she a bad idea for console? 🤔
Bad idea for console.

Nurse is strong but only after many hours and on PC.

Some killers are really only strong with a lot of game sense
You can be a fine Nurse on console. That's got nothing to do with anything.
However, Nurse is far from the first or even third killer you want to learn on any platform.

Her main downside is that she's not going to win in a direct M1 chase, you NEED to be good with her power. So if you mess up, the consequences are severe. It's a very rough killer to learn out of the gate, you need to be good with killers in general, and then you need to practice her specific power. But it is rewarding to do so when you're eventually ready.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The one thing I want to point out is that you keep talking about finding the Survivors when they're running, but that's what I'm saying NOT to do. You run to a pallet, you drop the pallet, and then you do something to throw them off. Maybe you slow vault the pallet again, maybe you slow vault a window, or maybe you just WALK (not run) in an unexpected direction. These are the things that open up counterplay because the Spirit now has to ask themselves which of these things seems most likely in the current situation/map. That's why I keep saying that you have to play differently against Spirit but if you do then it is far from impossible. If you just run and fast vault like you were playing against a killer who can see you then yes, it will be very easy to know where the Survivor is.

Everything else you said I have no issues with. Her addons definitely need a pass for some rebalancing and there's a few other little things they could do to make her a bit easier to manage. But I also don't want the IDEA of the Spirit to be lost in the rebalancing. I like that there's a jump scare ghost killer. I say this as someone who plays Survivor 70% of the time, it's just a fun idea and I do like some of the mind-games I've been able to pull off against her. And the few times I do play as her, I enjoy that too. So I don't know if I'd personally take the "make footsteps louder" approach because letting the Survivor know 100% of the time exactly where she is defeats the purpose and would turn he into a M1 killer without a power. I think something like letting the Survivor know for sure when she is phasing would be a better balancing choice.

But either way, my point of contention was the idea that you just couldn't win against her, with people saying you should just DC because there's no penalty. I think that stuff is super unhealthy for the game and people should be trying to learn how to play against a killer instead of dropping when they're up against one they struggle with. And every killer has a group of new survivors who claim they're impossible to beat.

You can be a fine Nurse on console. That's got nothing to do with anything.
However, Nurse is far from the first or even third killer you want to learn on any platform.

Her main downside is that she's not going to win in a direct M1 chase, you NEED to be good with her power. So if you mess up, the consequences are severe. It's a very rough killer to learn out of the gate, you need to be good with killers in general, and then you need to practice her specific power. But it is rewarding to do so when you're eventually ready.

Yeah but those are just 50/50s and on an unsafe pallet a spirit can position herself to remove even that counter play. Depending on if the loop has grass or how long it is, a spirit can sniff you out. Even walking you still make easily disernable footsteps. I am advocate for more of those loops as well, which is indirect buff to spirit sadly.

I agree with most of the stuff you've said though. Especially regarding dc'ing. I've had the most clutch games where it seemed impossible but if we had a 4th survivor who didn't bitch out it'd have been an easy w.

I think the first step is just the long awaited rework. The nurses rework was incredible and she's so much fun to play as and against now. Spirit just needs a bit more of a punishment for losing a 50/50 at a pallet to help make survivors feel better about dodging a hit. I think you're probably right on the footsteps. Adding an animation for phasing is the most obvious starting point and would work wonders. That would still leave place for actual mind games. just go into phasing outside of LOS or even just hide around a corner to fake out a phase.

Let's just hope her rework is more like nurse, adding rewards to survivors for outplaying, and not like Billy, missing the entire point of his power as a tool for mindgames.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Who would be the go to killer for mastering the basics? The one with the bear traps? I do know that you're usually encouraged to look behind you when you're running from a killer, but that could be pretty dangerous if that killer put traps in front of you.

I s'pose you'd need to learn where survivors are most likely to run so that they run into your traps. 🤔

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Who would be the go to killer for mastering the basics? The one with the bear traps? I do know that you're usually encouraged to look behind you when you're running from a killer, but that could be pretty dangerous if that killer put traps in front of you.

I s'pose you'd need to learn where survivors are most likely to run so that they run into your traps. 🤔

Freddy honestly might be your dude for learning basics

Otherwise Wraith is probably your best bet. He's at his strongest point he's ever been!

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020

This is a more complicated question to answer than the Survivor perks one I did two pages back. Because each killer has a unique power you have to balance out "learning how to play killer" with also finding what gameplay gimmick works better FOR YOU. As such, honestly my advice is to play two or three rounds with all of them, see which ones seemed the most interesting or fun for you, and go from there.

All of the killers have different levels of play too. Trapper, for example, could be an easy killer to learn. But when you go up against better survivors who have played against a thousand Trappers, you need to be more clever with where you put your traps, and there's also different types of Trapper gameplay. Some people like to try and hide them in stealthy locations to trap Survivors in, some people like to put them in inconvenient places for the Survivor during chases so they are forced to make split second choices, often resulting in mistakes.

I can say for myself, the first killer I learned was Cannibal because his BBQ & Chili perk is really good for new killers, but I ended up HATING how he played and didn't have fun with it much at all. The ones I actually learned the Killer game on were Hag, Plague, and Clown. But nowadays when I play Killer, I'm usually playing Trapper, Pig, Legion, or Twins.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
What rework has nurse had?

I haven't touched her in a very long time, have only gone up against her.

They did a pass on all her add ons. Previously she could blink up to 5 times in a row. Now she only has 1 add on to blink more than 2 times and it removes your ability to blink thru walls. They also added a recharge bar for the blinks which leads to less spam until you hit. Gives the survivors time to break line of sight and gain distance.

They added some fun add ons and nerfed her stronger shit. Long range blinks are still super strong, but I also only play Nurse without add ons. For me it just made me have to be patient and be more precise with my blinks.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ohh this. Oh yeh that happened ages ago. I remember because it made the "blink 3 times and catch a survivor" trophy impossible for me to get now 😤

From what i hear changing achievements is damn near impossible which is why she has that shitty add on at all.

I'm lucky and i got the 3 blink challenge pretty easily back in the day pre nerf. I feel for the achievement hunters who got in too late.

You'll get it one day!

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Freddy honestly might be your dude for learning basics

Otherwise Wraith is probably your best bet. He's at his strongest point he's ever been!

Played my first match as Wraith. Being invisible is kinda busted, but that was really fun. I'm surprised more people don't play this killer. It really helps get the jump on people.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Saw a survivor teabag a teammate for the first time today. I was just inviting them over to watch the kill, but they decided to photobomb, too. A second teammate jumped in at the end, but she wasn't invited, so she had to be punished.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Saw a survivor teabag a teammate for the first time today. I was just inviting them over to watch the kill, but they decided to photobomb, too. A second teammate jumped in at the end, but she wasn't invited, so she had to be punished.

its fun af teaming up with the killer and they actually go along with it. I was in one match where it was just me and my friend left, pretty much all hope was lost of escaping. I went up to the killer and started pointing in the direction my friend was at and got him to follow me. he killed my friend and then actually let me escape.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
its fun af teaming up with the killer and they actually go along with it. I was in one match where it was just me and my friend left, pretty much all hope was lost of escaping. I went up to the killer and started pointing in the direction my friend was at and got him to follow me. he killed my friend and then actually let me escape.
Hahahaha. That must have given you two a laugh. I mostly play survivor, and I've had some really weird killers in the last couple years.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Usually I hook the traitor and let the betrayed leave.

Unless I'm Pig and your properly boop the snoot.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy amount of DCs tonight. People are dropping out at the first hint of anything bad happening as if every game we're just supposed to complete gens in silence and walk through the exit gates while the killer applauds us for a job well done.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Last edited:

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Not announced, but it happens every anniversary.... So far.

______

Oh wow, not to my surprise.

I wouldn't put to much stock in that. It's literally someone bothering Konami's customer service department about something BHVR did. The customer service person doesn't likely have any access to the licensing contracts and is basically saying "We don't do customer support for Dead by Daylight"

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't put to much stock in that. It's literally someone bothering Konami's customer service department about something BHVR did. The customer service person doesn't likely have any access to the licensing contracts and is basically saying "We don't do customer support for Dead by Daylight"

Yup. I'm fairly certain the licensed characters are bought "as is" and Behaviour isn't allowed to make new costumes for them without getting approval for each. And yes, even mixing costumes is essentially a separate costume, most often not in line with that characters established visual identity or whatever, so it's easier for all parties to just lock the sets. Some IP holders are more flexible though, Stranger Things characters have a lot of separate items but they don't exactly have "iconic" costumes :D

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder what new things they used in the map as it´s so unstable and they aren´t sure what is causing the problems compared to all previous maps