• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
yeah no facebook or instagram for me, just twitter. i've cultivated my twitter feed so it's just gaming, hockey, and golf, and it's great.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
i use it to keep track of shows and festivals mostly, and some of my friends abroad use it. But I could do without it I guess.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I'm starting to seriously consider deleting my Facebook profile, but not from being inundated by toxic opinions. I long ago pared any of this shit from my feed. ("Unfriend" is your friend.)

Rather, the daily reminder of how few of my "friends" have actually lived up to the moniker by making the effort to offer me support during this time of extreme emotional crisis (boyfriend of 3.5 years broke up with me recently and I am reeling) has become too demoralizing to contemplate.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I haven't used Facebook for roughly 10 years but my wife does. I will not tell others to leave the platform because people are very different and just because something is good for me, doesn't mean all should follow.

I do think a lot of aspects of FB are BS, but there is some value there for small business and clubs.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
15 months without using FB. My account is still active because of the many websites that I "log in with Facebook" and that dont offer an option to migrate to "normal login". Fucking sucks but I am stuck with at least having an account because of that.

I've been using Twitter a bit too much in the last months though, starts with "lets see the news about X" and ends with me endlessly navigating whatever.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of deleting mine as well, not because it's affecting me or anything but I really don't have a reason to keep it - I never post or upload anything, I don't talk to any group or page or get tagged, and I find it pointless to "catch up" with old friends because it never happens and I live in a different continent now anyway, so if "catching up" amounts to exchanging a few messages before the convo awkwardly dies, no thanks.

I will still retain my messenger app on my phone though cause I talk to most of my current friends from there

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
I find it pretty great if you tailor it to your needs. It's a fantastic tool for finding local events, creating my own events to invite people, for group chats. And if you have friends on there with bigoted mindsets, you can block/unfriend them. And I hardly ever post anything, so I don't deal with the whole like-farming anxiety.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I also deactivated my Facebook for the same reason about a year ago. I just got tired of seeing right-wing propaganda from people I had respected, and I also found myself mindlessly scrolling through my feed even if nothing particularly interesting came up.

I wouldn't say it was some revelation. I'm not significantly happier without it, but I definitely no longer feel like I need or want it. But then again, I still use Instagram frequently, so it's not as if I denounced social media altogether.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
t seems like we have these threads often enough that they feel like generic Facebook posts. 😂

I'm glad you've found more productive things to do with your time, but Facebook works for some people.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Facebook and other socials should be used with the Marie Kondo approach:

Unfollow anything that doesn't bring you joy.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
good for you, but I rarely visit. I use messenger all the time, and my spotify, Airbnb is liked via FB. So I never bothered to deactivate it

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
facebook sucks yes, but the key to social media is self curation. i user twitters keyword filter to auto remove posts from my feed and i block accounts left and right and my feed is pretty damn good.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Facebook and other socials should be used with the Marie Kondo approach:

Unfollow anything that doesn't bring you joy.
I think this is good idea. If you can control your happiness, then do so. I haven't been on the platform in a long time so if they have the option to ignore or unfollow posts and all that jazz, just do that.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I want to do this, but I need messenger cause a lot of my family members are on there. Plus I just prefer chatting on that to texting. If that wasn't the case though—it'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For me FB = local Buy/Sell groups and seeing pictures of my nieces. I don't give a fuck about anyone's opinions.

Deleted member 25888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did this a few years ago.

Main reason was not supporting a trash company with a trash CEO.

Not seeing idiotic nonsense from people I haven't seen in years was just a happy side effect.

Edit: Weirdly, I can still communicate with friends around the world perfectly well in year of 2020. Imagine that.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I barely go on FB anymore maybe a few times a week at the most. It's not even worth deactivating at this point.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't ever particularly active on Facebook and I'm not super talkative so it hurt me when say not enough people told me happy bday or liked a photo. Ever since I deleted it I don't even give it a chance to cause me stress lmao.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is full of the kind of people who request self bans because they have no sense of self control or moderation. 😂

Curate your feed to your interests. And if you find yourself spending too much time on it... log out?

Oct 29, 2017
This thread is full of the kind of people who request self bans because they have no sense of self control or moderation. 😂

Lmao right? Facebook is amazing for keeping up with old friends, especially since a lot of mine have moved out of state. If I see someone with constsntly shitty opinions, I'll just delete them. But thays never been a problem for me so...

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really been much of a Facebook user, but I now haven't posted anything since last July. I haven't killed the account because I figure I might need to use it to contact some people.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have family and friends from over three countries Ive lived in and I live far away from all of them. Facebook is my only connection point, I dont like it but deleting it is not an option

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
"(and you should too)"

No I shouldn't, it would have a negative effect on me to get rid of facebook. I don't really socialize on it, nor do I follow/friend anyone I don't like. It's great for keeping up to date with interests such as games, music or any other forms of media and news.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I deactivated mine about a month ago and just turned it back on. Going through and cleaning it up, but I don't know if I'm going to really use it.

I've got friends spread out all across the globe, so it's nice to be able to keep in touch with them, but I'm not a heavy user.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I really don't like Facebook at all, but I can't remove it because the few friends and family that I have only use it. Specially for the chat messages.

Got like 13 contacts so it's tolerable. And I use Unfollow if a person posts annoying stuff on the timeline

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nope, it's fantastic for groups, such a great implementation for various things and as cloud service for several mobile games.

But I don't use it for anything else anymore and couldn't care less what people in my friend list do.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
No thank you, it does not effect my mental health and I moderate a large group which I enjoy.

I also don't keep/follow people that post a ton of political stuff and what I do see id stuff I agree with.

OP- How much time did you spend on Facebook? Because lifting weights and reading take up a lot more than being on Facebook does.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I finally pulled the plug and deleted mine in the beginning of January. I had a lot of baggage that involved Facebook and people who use it that I can't seem to avoid (that's a long story). It had to go. I feel free of all of that shit now. I still use Twitter but more for looking into everything that's going on and less about me actually participating. Plus with Twitter I feel like I can exist a lot more anonymously. Deleted my Instagram account too but I never really got into that.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I deleted my twitter a while ago and made sure to unfollow or unfriend anyone on facebook who I don't have a close tie to (e.g. old coworkers) and who throw out these opinions. It's not so much that I need to live in a nice cozy echo chamber as much as it is I've never spoken to this person since I last had to interact with them through work or school or whatever, and they're just throwing out crazy shit that's ruining me.

I won't delete facebook because I've moved so much it makes it easy to keep in touch with friends but I would like an alternative.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i deleted over a year a go (btw you can delete you facebook page not just deactivate). I'm happy with it.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
This seems so unnecessary. Just unfoollow them. Facebook has a load of useful tools. Facebook marketplace has great deals in your area if you search hard enough and some Facebook groups can be very helpful.
Yeah Facebook marketplace is the only reason I haven't deleted my account. I have sold so many stuff there, mostly videogames, and all of them relatively quickly. Most of the time I publish something and I get to sell it on the same day, it's pretty great. Compared to selling stuff on ebay and similar where everything is 10x times more tedious, slow and some websites even charge you a fee for each item you sell. Groups on fb are also great for especific topics, but I don't frequent those that often since I already use ERA and Reddit for that purpose.

But everything else is simply unbearable to me. The amount of cringey posts is insane despite only having less than 100 "friends" there.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably 10 years ago I just started to "unsubscribe" from everyone that was mildly annoying.

It was the best thing I ever did... I can still keep Facebook to keep in touch with old freinds and get the occasional party invitation but I dont have to deal with the bullshit and I also don't offend anyone by outright removing them.

Now my Facebook feed is mostly just ads though lol.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I still have mine, but I rarely use it and it's bare. I just don't have time to use social media. Only one I'm really active on is LinkedIn.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've just looked at the pages I follow on facebook, and made sure I am following them on twitter. Just downloading my facebook data and then it's going. I never use it, I just tend to scroll through bored looking at people I don't care about.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
When you deactivate Facebook, you can keep Messenger. It's what I do.
I won't have Messenger on my phone due to privacy concerns, so that's not option for me. If I opt to deactivate my Facebook, it would be across the board, so to speak.

Then again, extremely few of my 366 "friends" ever message me anyway, so it's not like I'd be missing much.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't used Facebook in years. Got rid of Instagram early last year.

Social media wise, Twitter and Reddit is pretty much all I really need and I rarely post, just follow news, hashtags and memes.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
No can do. All I have on my facebook are paleontologists, geologists, and zoologists. The people that don't fall under the category are like minded people who are also very progressive.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have maybe 60% of my FB contacts on ignore
It's fine. Barely read shit on it anyway, just use it for messenger.

Oct 27, 2017
Please help me convince certain people in my life of this.

It's not toxic for me, but watching it slowly brainwash and destroy the intellect and integrity of good people and good friends is heartbreaking.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't do a god damn thing, thank you.
I use it WAAAAY differently than you though.

Good that you made a decision for yourself.

I have thought about it. But i don't have that much problem with Facebook. I see some family, friends and other artists.
One right winged family friend that i blocked and one cousin who posted some silly shit every fucking day.