• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently this is causing a lot of controversy on Twitter.

On one side, many felt the warning was needed as infection rates in the Hasidic communities tend be higher.

On the other side, many felt the Hasidic community was being singled out. Coupled that with the rise of anti-Semitic hate crimes in NYC and many feel it was poor form by the Mayor. There have been other gatherings in NYC and they didn't receive such public censure.

I've been critical of DeBlasio but seeing the video of the funeral was rather insane. Moreover, he later reiterated the call for all communities to continue to practice social distancing. NYC is the epicenter of the pandemic in the US so it's important that the guidelines are taken seriously.

www.nytimes.com

De Blasio Breaks Up Rabbi’s Funeral and Lashes Out Over Virus Distancing (Published 2020)

After overseeing the dispersal of hundreds of Hasidic mourners in Brooklyn, Mayor Bill de Blasio called the gathering “absolutely unacceptable.”

Tweet:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
How dumb do you have to be to break social distancing rules at the funeral of someone that died from the disease the rules are trying to protect against?

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't they the ones or part of the group that had a measles outbreak recently (as in few months / years back)?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Break that shit up!

Look at that. That's in the hardest hit city in the world

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Religion should not be used a shield or a Get-Out-Of-Jail card to skirt the rules

No matter if it's Florida Baptists, South Korean secluded Christian Cults or Hassidic Jewish communities in New York.

everyone has to play by the same rules.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I saw a lot of people on Twitter getting pissed at de Blasio for this. But I agree that you need to call out the community on this stuff.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I was prepared to say yikes at the Mayor, but then I scrolled down and saw that picture.

That is incredibly risky.

Oct 26, 2017
"My message to the Jewish community, and all communities, is this simple: the time for warnings has passed," Mr. de Blasio said in another post. "I have instructed the NYPD to proceed immediately to summons or even arrest those who gather in large groups. This is about stopping this disease and saving lives. Period."
The bolded is why they're mad at him. I don't get it personally. This was in response to a specific incident. Seems fine to me.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard to understand that people need to stay home? Doing this not only is irresponsible, but also means you may get the damn virus and infect other people with it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Outside of conflating Jewish & Hasidim I am not mad.

Issue is that the Hasidim have heavy political pull on the local level and the cops loathe to enforce...well pretty much anything involving them since unlike your run of the mill POC brutality, swift consequences will rain down.

That said, even with Hasidim there are different sects; some which are just your run of the mill religious types, some are basically criminal cults

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the evergreen preface of fuck Bill de Blasio.

He's 99.9% right here. The outstanding 0.1% is that he could've been more specific in his tweet by addressing the Hasidic Orthodox community, but in times of a deadly pandemic, I'm not going to get too upset about nomenclature specificity in a Tweet when it's obvious what he's talking about.

A god damn post-funeral block party where they're brazenly, proudly flouting the law and recording NYPD, attempting (in vain) to get any semblance of order restored, to weaponize what were mundane acts of enforcement against the government.

Oct 25, 2017
How dumb do you have to be to break social distancing rules at the funeral of someone that died from the disease the rules are trying to protect against?

God will protect them

DeBlasio shouldn't be singling out the Jewish community like that, already have enough people blaming Jews for every problem in the world

All religious gatherings need to stop, the virus doesn't care who you are

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of conflating Jewish & Hasidim I am not mad.

Issue is that the Hasidim have heavy political pull on the local level and the cops loathe to enforce...well pretty much anything involving them since unlike your run of the mill POC brutality, swift consequences will rain down.

That said, even with Hasidim there are different sects; some which are just your run of the mill religious types, some are basically criminal cults
The nation of Israel also has had trouble enforcing their social distancing rules with the Hasidic communities there as well.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy.
Two large funeral gatherings are what gave rise to the massive infection spread in rural southwest Georgia.
You cannot, CANNOT, do this type of stuff right now.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Religious leaders are revered. It's not hard to fathom that Hasidic Jews would gather to pay respects. This is a pretty common occurrence at this point in the Hasidic community. There was a period there where Gov. Cuomo was fielding this question daily.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
New York is already devastated. This shit could make it a 10x worse overnight. There are no sides to this, this is simply wrong and organizers/community leaders should be held accountable.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit at those pictures.
And DeBlasio is getting on Twitter. I really don't get it. I get his recent foibles, but he's right on here.

God will protect them

DeBlasio shouldn't be singling out the Jewish community like that, already have enough people blaming Jews for every problem in the world

All religious gatherings need to stop, the virus doesn't care who you are

NYC places of worship have been very compliant. Again, it's the epicenter of the outbreak in the US.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. I thought it was going to be a smaller group. That's insane.

All those nurses, doctors, and paramedics pushing themselves to the breaking point only for you to go and shit all over their lives for this.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
He had to do it.

The cops just did something like this at an illegal barbershop party in Canarsie like...last week, so I don't know how else to make it clear that zero gatherings can happen for any reason - secular, religious, or otherwise. And DEFINITELY people shouldn't be trying to use it as a wedge issue for political reasons - the virus doesn't care what religion, ethnicity, or age you are. It doesn't care if you're a first responder or a person nestled at home. It doesn't care that someone passed and you want to pay respect to the body. These are strange times, people gotta compromise somewhere if only just this once.

People of a certain sociopolitical ilk want to use this to point out anti-semitism, but it's really not that.
I will extend the idea that he should have used "Hasidim" or something like that instead of "Jewish community", but then again it's a zero-win outcome because anyone who thought this was about who was gathering rather than the existence of a gathering would attack anyway.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Why is it so hard to understand that people need to stay home? Doing this not only is irresponsible, but also means you may get the damn virus and infect other people with it.

How do you get through to these people? I wish we had more prominent community figures telling people to stray home. A gathering of ten people is irresponsible. A gathering of this size is horrific.

Oct 25, 2017
The nation of Israel also has had trouble enforcing their social distancing rules with the Hasidic communities there as well.

Yup, as a Jew in the Toronto area I was worried about the ultra-orthodox gathering for Passover, there were lots of warnings and statements from Jewish politicians and leaders to not gather outside of whoever you live with but you never know.

I'm sure most of the Jewish community has been following social distancing, it's not ok to use Jewish community so broadly in a tweet like that considering that antisemitism was already on the rise and people were blaming the virus on "the Jews"

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
this is ridiculous. there is nothing anti-semetic about anything he did!

fucking hell, he did the right thing

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
lol "singling out the Hasidic community", please. You're being "singled out" for gathering in the HUNDREDS. Why do you need an adult to come and break it up for you?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To have a gathering of that size during these times is already crazy, but to be doing it in NYC? Insane.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I just recently saw a video essay on youtube about how hard this was hitting the Hasidic community and the changes they were making to deal with it, like funerals in cars and using a phone line for deathbed prayers. Hopefully, it is indicative of the majority of the community even if it isn't the entirety.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I was not the biggest Deblasio supporter when I lived in NYC (though, I voted for him), but he's 100% correct here. That shit is not ok.

Yes, that community has been the targets of increasing hate crimes and that is a problem, but hooolllee shit that is a lot of people.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They are putting not only their own lives at risk, but the lives of everyone they interact with for the next couple weeks. They absolutely deserved to be called out.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
You can't see the fucking street with so many people in it.

That's not even a small gathering. That's bigger than a block party.