• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

Central to the extended-length short is an adaptation of "Batman: A Death in the Family," the 1988 landmark DC event where fans voted by telephone to determine the story's ending. The interactive Blu-ray presentation offers many different ways for viewers to tell the Batman: Death in the Family story, with numerous twists and turns in the middle, and several possible endings. The choices along the way put greater weight on the viewers' decisions and result in even stronger stories. Batman: Death in the Family offers an inventive take on the long-demanded story. In the new animated presentation, the infamous murder of Batman protégé Jason Todd will be undone, and the destinies of Batman, Robin and The Joker will play out in shocking new ways as viewers make multiple choices to control the story. And while Batman: Under the Red Hood provides a baseline, the story also branches in new directions and features several characters previously unseen in the original film.

Bruce Greenwood (The Resident, Star Trek, iRobot), Vincent Martella (Phineas and Ferb) and John DiMaggio (Futurama, Adventure Time) reprise their Batman: Under The Red Hood roles of Batman, young Jason Todd and The Joker, respectively. Other featured voices are Zehra Fazal (Young Justice) as Talia al Ghul and Gary Cole (Veep) as Two-Face and James Gordon.[/spoiler]

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
all the great DC stories, and just keep going back to the batman well

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like... a pre-quel or side-quel to Under the Red Hood? That might be their best DTV movie, so that's a high bar to live up to.

That being said, making it a CYOA type story is really cool, so I think it'll be a fun experience.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's a choose your own adventure expansion to Under The Red Hood?

ummmmm I guess that's kind of in the spirit of when readers voted on Jason dying

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am intrigued by the CYOA aspect of it. Might not have checked it out otherwise, but I'm curious to see how it comes across

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"You take them down while investigate that warehouse we tracked Joker to"

*points to creepy looking completely isolated warehouse*

Oh Jason...

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I didn't know they did this one! It's the first Batman comic I ever read.

7gV5fVM.jpg

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I think it'll be interesting at the very least to mess around with the 'choose your own adventure' choices. And Under The Red Hood was one of the better DC animated movies with a good cast, so I look forward to seeing them reprise their roles.

But I'm tired of exploring the death of Jason Todd...again. I'm tired of death stories in comics in general, and the DC animated films continuously returning to these concepts (We got TWO versions of the Death of Superman storyline) and replicating DC's original bad taste move of making Jason's death into an interactive gimmick doesn't sit entirely well with me.

I wish would get more comic book media celebrating life instead of death. And if they want to adapt these sorts of stories, then why the HECK do we not have a Knightfall animated film yet?

Oct 27, 2017
"Death in the Family," eh? Wonder how they'll fuck this classic up?

(Reads description)

So, that's how. Sigh.

Please, WB fuckers. Stay away from "Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory." Don't pervert those two, please.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well they cant fuck it up like they did with the killing joke. I look forward to this as under the red hood was one of the movies i did enjoy.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I think it'll be interesting at the very least to mess around with the 'choose your own adventure' choices. And Under The Red Hood was one of the better DC animated movies with a good cast, so I look forward to seeing them reprise their roles.

But I'm tired of exploring the death of Jason Todd...again. I'm tired of death stories in comics in general, and the DC animated films continuously returning to these concepts (We got TWO versions of the Death of Superman storyline) and replicating DC's original bad taste move of making Jason's death into an interactive gimmick doesn't sit entirely well with me.

I wish would get more comic book media celebrating life instead of death. And if they want to adapt these sorts of stories, then why the HECK do we not have a Knightfall animated film yet?

My friend, as much as I would love to see that happen, with all the classics they pissed over these last few years, please don't give them ideas.

So, after watching that trailer, I have to ask: did they really
have to fuck up Hush some more? Weren't they content with ruining the DCAU movie, so that nothing can grow from that? Who at DC thought, "Hey, let's make this way worse!"

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When I saw the title I was excited about a prequel with the cast returning but after watching the trailer this seems like such a weird thing. Can't say I really care about it, unfortunately.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Rated R, a tie-in to one of the best toon films (Under the Red Hood is better than the comic it´s based on) and they are having fun with it. Very nice.
I highly suspect that almost none of the comments here have read A Death in the Family. I like the late 80s arc fine but it´s NOT what you think it is. Joker becomes the ambassador of Iran for example and Ayatollah Khomeini shows up.
screen-shot-2016-09-08-at-11-02-29-pm.png
joker-meets-ayatollah-khomeini03.jpg

It is 100% unadaptable as is. And let´s be honest here. Even Paul Dini failed to fully make Hush work.

Last edited:

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It seems cool and novel.

I like that they are tying it back into Under the Red Hood though noted no word on Jensen reprising his role as Red Hood.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
all the great DC stories, and just keep going back to the batman well
And not even a Batman that involves the majority of the children. >:(

When can I see Bruce, Dick, Tim, Babs, Cass, and Steph on screen all at the same time like during the 2000's?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I look forward to them screwing this up as bad as they did with Batman: Hush.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Wait is that Jason in Tims outfit? If so then someone really high up really hates Tim.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Not interested in CYOA take on this but cool for those clamoring for more of this. Hopefully they pull it off

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The Under the Red Hood animated movie was written by the writer of the comic storyline, and plays as an adaptation that wants to enhance the story.

"You take them down while I investigate that warehouse we tracked Joker to". Eh. I'm guessing this will just be Under the Red Hood surrounded by scenes like those in first half of the Killing Joke adaptation.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Here are the alternate pages of Jason living:
a_Death_In_the_Family_alternate_ending.jpg
a_Death_In_the_Family_alternate_ending_Bruce_visits_Jason.jpg

Batman428-Alternate-3.jpg

It is believed that one person set up a call bot to kill him. I HIGHLY suggest reading Batman 424. It´s the lead-in to ADitF that ran in Batman 426-429. The issue where he most likely throws a rapist to his death. Batman 422 below that is also quite dark.
batman42422.jpg

tumblr_lhjtrirs8K1qde3j2o1_500.jpg
tumblr_lhjts7SEvo1qde3j2o1_500.jpg

Not his first kill in Post Crisis continuity but his most alarming one back then. To be fair. Batman also had a few direct kills to his name around the same time, arguably more, and has killed in canon as late as 2020 (Omega in Last Knight on Earth). Jason further wasn´t written darkly in Detective Comics as that comic wasn´t by Jim Starlin. Mike W. Barr wrote Jason like a 2nd Dick.

Batman adopted the adult Cassandra Cain in the late 00s but that obviously let nowhere (she is in the abysmal Dark Tomorrow game btw) and his daughter Helena might become Prime Earth canon next year. She was technically on the Bird of Prey TV show. Lol.

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Not a great mini and clearly designed to appease fans after 4 messy years for her but it happened. Basically nothing refected this comic as Batman was RIPed immediately and Black Bat was only in the first half of Batman Inc after his return. Flashpoint decanonized this and Post Rebirth books never reflected this either.
I have to agree with DC on this. This is as weird is him adopting an adult man in Batman Forever. Cass is a great character and Rebirth saved her but this is too weird.
5f44bc03162b88f55ace420c00db1cf0.jpg

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Wait is that Jason in Tims outfit? If so then someone really high up really hates Tim.
Wasn't that originally Jason's outfit from another universe in Countdown to 52, and Tim took it when he stopped being Robin? Or something like that.

Agree that someone high up hates Tim. He hasn't made any of the animated movies. :(

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
@Pau Tim is in Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts & Monster Mayhem and Batman Ninja. (He also has a cameo in Gotham by Gaslight.) He thus made it into 3.1 films. The Batman Unlimited websites is legit fun btw and Tim is also in that one.
www.youtube.com

Training Standoff | Batman Unlimited | DC Kids

Batman and Green Arrow stand-off in a training short.About Batman Unlimited…When Gotham City is plagued by a rash of bizarre crimes committed by the animal-i...
What you mean was Jason in Countdown. Lol Countdown. He was the first (of 3) Red Robins with that Alex Ross costume.

I hope that this is one of the outcomes. Fully canon from Nightwing's book in 2006. Best use of Jason ever! No argument.
tumblr_l5x5625Fx21qzhacqo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish this could be from Joker's pov. Weird how cómics are trying to make Jason more than Revived Robin but the other media keeps going to that well.

Specially since all Robins bite it eventually.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I cannot fucking tell you just how many "choose your adventure" animated projects I've pitched on in the last year. Feels like there's studios everywhere trying to (or needing to) get in on it.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
@Pau Tim is in Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts & Monster Mayhem and Batman Ninja. (He also has a cameo in Gotham by Gaslight.) He thus made it into 3.1 films. The Batman Unlimited websites is legit fun btw and Tim is also in that one.
www.youtube.com

Training Standoff | Batman Unlimited | DC Kids

Batman and Green Arrow stand-off in a training short.About Batman Unlimited…When Gotham City is plagued by a rash of bizarre crimes committed by the animal-i...
What you mean was Jason in Countdown. Lol Countdown. He was the first (of 3) Red Robins with that Alex Ross costume.

I hope that this is one of the outcomes. Fully canon from Nightwing's book in 2006. Best use of Jason ever! No argument.
tumblr_l5x5625Fx21qzhacqo1_500.jpg
Holy shit, these animated shorts are dope and...Tim & Dick teaming up and being bros! DC almost never lets that happen since the introduction of Damian. How haven't I watched these before?