• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Having a consensual shallow bar hookup does not make someone horrible. It's telling that that's what you supposedly think.
I have already explained it to you multiple times how the scene is set up, what the scene is trying to tell you, and how the point is undermined. Not sure what else to tell you. At this point you are refusing to even acknowledge those points and what they mean to the audience and what the show is either trying to say or inadvertently says.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Random bar hook ups are horrible actions now? Are we really sex shaming? I dont think I know a single person that hasnt had a one night stand from the bar including myself. Bad pick up lines arent horrible acts either deserving of punishment. Even if he did come across an ass hat.

There doesnt need to be consequences for a dude and a woman getting it on.

Nudity is also not edge. It exists in R rated material because it is something almost all adults are exposed to in the real world. Nudity is also when people are most vulnerable in the real world.

Im going to agree with others this is a troll because none of what being says makes sense unless you simply oppose most all adult content for being offensive.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Random bar hook ups are horrible actions now? Are we really sex shaming? I dont think I know a single person that hasnt had a one night stand from the bar including myself. Bad pick up lines arent horrible acts either deserving of punishment. Even if he did come across an ass hat.

There doesnt need to be consequences for a dude and a woman getting it on.

Nudity is also not edge. It exists in R rated material because it is something almost all adults are exposed to in the real world. Nudity is also when people are most vulnerable in the real world.

Im going to agree with others this is a troll because none of what being says makes sense unless you simply oppose most all adult content for being offensive.
The entire scene at the bar is set up because before it's obvious Peacemaker wants to have sex with Harcourt. He IS attracted to her. The reason he goes to the bar after seeing her is to sleep with her. That is his goal. Inside the bar it is established that she doesn't want to (violently too), and that he's a complete asshole for even trying. He then looks over and sees someone who will sleep with him. Now. Please. PLEASE. Tell me what reasoning was there to even demonstrate to the audience that Harcourt doesn't want to hook up with a stranger and especially not Peacemaker? Like, these scenes have purpose. They help tell the story. If the point of Harcourt beating up a bar bro and telling off Peacemaker as he makes his very offensive proposal then what is the point of it all? Why have her there? Why not just have him go to a random bar and sleep with a person? That would fulfill everything already in the story because Harcourt being at the bar doesn't impact Peacemaker at all it seems because he literally brags about fucking that woman even though he was almost killed by her.

And what he did wasn't a "bad pickup line".

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The entire scene at the bar is set up because before it's obvious Peacemaker wants to have sex with Harcourt. He IS attracted to her. The reason he goes to the bar after seeing her is to sleep with her. That is his goal. Inside the bar it is established that she doesn't want to (violently too), and that he's a complete asshole for even trying. He then looks over and sees someone who will sleep with him. Now. Please. PLEASE. Tell me what reasoning was there to even demonstrate to the audience that Harcourt doesn't want to hook up with a stranger and especially not Peacemaker? Like, these scenes have purpose. They help tell the story. If the point of Harcourt beating up a bar bro and telling off Peacemaker as he makes his very offensive proposal then what is the point of it all? Why have her there? Why not just have him go to a random bar and sleep with a person? That would fulfill everything already in the story because Harcourt being at the bar doesn't impact Peacemaker at all it seems because he literally brags about fucking that woman even though he was almost killed by her.
I think you are digging way to into this. The scene was mostly just to establish that Harcourt is a total badass and that she really doesnt like peacemaker as a person. She even admits she finds the man handsome, but it is the person that offends her.

That peacemaker wanted to hook up with her is not offensive. It is true that he was slow on the uptake that she wasnt interested but that is peacemaker for you, he is full of himself. It is a personality trait a lot of people have.

Honestly im just glad this thread is getting bumped. We need more eyes on this show.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think you are digging way to into this. The scene was mostly just to establish that Harcourt is a total badass and that she really doesnt like peacemaker as a person. She even admits she finds the man handsome, but it is the person that offends her.

That peacemaker wanted to hook up with her is not offensive. It is true that he was slow on the uptake that she wasnt interested but that is peacemaker for you, he is full of himself. It is a personality trait a lot of people have.

Honestly im just glad this thread is getting bumped. We need more eyes on this show.
I could think of many ways to make Harcourt appear badass and none of them involve that. However, it is hard to really believe this, though, because after the bar we next see her walking in her underwear through her hotel room because that was 100% necessary and the lingering shots as she walks outside, and on the mission she is knocked out pretty fast. For the show trying to show how badass she is, they also wants to show some other things too if you catch my drift.

Having sex is fine. That's not the issue. It is how the events leading up to, why he wants to have sex, how he goes about meeting someone for sex, and how to the audience he doesn't change from the moment she rebuffs his horrible advances to him having sex. We can just assume he was rewarded. Not that he was rewarded in the sense that someone saw that he was a bad person and gave it to him, but that the show doesn't care about his horrible remarks, he still got what he came for. When you analyze that to what happened with Harcourt in the bar it brings up some very big red flags.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020

And what he did wasn't a "bad pickup line".
The character craves a physical connection and upon being rejected by someone he was interested in, drowns out his sorrows by forcing a connection with a random stranger. After their sexual encounter, he tries to spark a deeper connection but then things turn sour. The entirety of Episode 1 Act 3/Epissode 2 Act II is Gunn riffing on the inherent unfulfilling, and sometimes awkward, nature of random hookups.

This tells us that Peacemaker is emotionally immature, insensitive and kind of a jerk. But that doesn't make him a bad person. That just makes him human. Drowning out sorrow and craving a quick fix for true connections is something everyone can relate to.

If that's your bar for moral depravity then I think you may need to re-evaluate some things. No one clears that benchmark.

Even if you wanted to start a conversation about how the show's framing of Peacemaker as ultimately sympathetic and salvageable is kind of iffy when juxtaposed against the real world US backdrop it draws from (similar thoughts have crossed my mind), zeroing in on his sex life is probably the worst way to make that argument. There are so many worse qualities he possesses, so let's not resort to slut-shaming.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I could think of many ways to make Harcourt appear badass and none of them involve that. However, it is hard to really believe this, though, because after the bar we next see her walking in her underwear through her hotel room because that was 100% necessary and the lingering shots as she walks outside, and on the mission she is knocked out pretty fast. For the show trying to show how badass she is, they also wants to show some other things too if you catch my drift.
So women can't be badass if they aren't wearing a shirt. Got it.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I will say the scene of her in lingerie felt gratuitous, but the actress's partner is in charge so maybe he had a reason.

and on the mission she is knocked out pretty fast.

This is dumb though- Judomaster kicks all of their asses. That doesn't make Harcourt less of a badass.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Having sex is fine. That's not the issue. It is how the events leading up to, why he wants to have sex, how he goes about meeting someone for sex, and how to the audience he doesn't change from the moment she rebuffs his horrible advances to him having sex. We can just assume he was rewarded. Not that he was rewarded in the sense that someone saw that he was a bad person and gave it to him, but that the show doesn't care about his horrible remarks, he still got what he came for. When you analyze that to what happened with Harcourt in the bar it brings up some very big red flags.
I mean, the actor is literally hooked up with Gunn currently. I don't think he's going for whatever it is you are thinking of (women are weak looking naked?). I mean yes, she didn't need to be in her underwear, but, it's also quite harmless. "In underwear" is how a lot of people sleep. If I got a call in the middle of the night, I'd be answering in my tighty whiteys. The woman has a rocking body and they probably just wanted to add the "eye candy" in the show if you will, I don't think it was any kind of statement . You can't pretend watchers at large don't like beautiful people hardly dressed in their entertainment.

I don't think you are approaching this show from a sincere place. It's like you want to be offended by everything, but, in particular any reference to sex or nudity. You're kind of just going around in circles with "none of this needs to be included and is offensive" but I think you need to realize most people don't find this kind of stuff offensive at all.

I will say though that the vagina flash was probably the only thing that was included just for the shock of it, but, I think we can allow a little shock once in a while, again, harmless.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the actor is literally hooked up with Gunn currently. I don't think he's going for whatever it is you are thinking of (women are weak looking naked?). I mean yes, she didn't need to be in her underwear, but, it's also quite harmless. "In underwear" is how a lot of people sleep. If I got a call in the middle of the night, I'd be answering in my tighty whiteys. The woman has a rocking body and they probably just wanted to add the "eye candy" in the show if you will, I don't think it was any kind of statement . You can't pretend watchers at large don't like beautiful people hardly dressed in their entertainment.

I don't think you are approaching this show from a sincere place. It's like you want to be offended by everything, but, in particular any reference to sex or nudity. You're kind of just going around in circles with "none of this needs to be included and is offensive" but I think you need to realize most people don't find this kind of stuff offensive at all.
Why does Jennifer and Gunn being a couple make it more reasonable? Does the audience know this behind the scenes fact?

Like, yeah, but there's a reason why TV shows and films don't show every sequence in which people change or wake up in their underwear because it's not... necessary.

But I think I understand where you individually are coming from because you just stated she had a rocking body and they probably wanted to add some eye candy. So, at the very least do you understand why I am bringing all this up?

On the other hand, the first few minutes into the show we're treated to John Cena's bare ass so it evens out.

I don't Cena's ass was meant to be titillating. Harcourt was.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
On the other hand, the first few minutes into the show we're treated to John Cena's bare ass so it evens out.
I think that's kind of part of it. Gunn is going for a sort of "equal opportunity" nudity in this show. He's not going to hold back regardless of the sex. In The Suicide Squad we got a dick flash, in this show we got a vagina flash.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Gonna be honest, I didn't even notice that she wasn't dressed in that scene. All I saw was someone putting clothes on. Didn't clock that it was out of the ordinary until it showed the brief moment of her walking past a guy staring at her and I had to rewind to figure out why. It wasn't exactly titillating.

Especially compared to seeing Cena dancing in his underwear with the outline of his giant dick pressed up against the wrapping.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
Peacemaker gives me strong Michael Scott vibes. He is an awful person but charismatic at the same time.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Harcourt immediately shuts down dude she isn't interested in - he responds like an asshole and then his friend responds like a violent asshole. She dispatches him pretty easily.
Unrelated to the discussion, but did anyone else think it was hilarious that this guy stormed off to cry to his buddy who then returned with a "She said what???"

And she merely said that he had shitty breath

I don't Cena's ass was meant to be titillating. Harcourt was.
I'm pretty sure there's plenty of folks out there who are hot for Cena

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Episode 2 & 3 were even better than the premiere. I can't wait for the next episode to drop. The groups chemistry is already on point

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated to the discussion, but did anyone else think it was hilarious that this guy stormed off to cry to his buddy who then returned with a "She said what???"

And she merely said that he had shitty breath

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of folks out there who are hot for Cena

Right? I was dying at that, like dude, your friend can't take care of himself? Especially over such a mild insult?

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this show is ADULT af.
The OP is the best opening ever, of anything.
The Louis C.K. bit had me rolling on the floor.
Berenstain Bears!
Peacemaker gets hurt, A LOT.
Eagly is BEST CHARACTER. Wait, he has a human actor? Viligante is second best character.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing show. Really enjoying it. The cast chemistry is off the charts and we're only three episodes in.

Kinda funny when this was announced the reaction was why make a show about Peacemaker? Glad they went through with it.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I would just like to point out two facts:

1. Peacemaker has an older brother who has been mentioned, but who hasn't been seen.

2. James Gunn knows that Snowflame exists.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'll have to repeat what I said a few pages ago but it's intentional that the only character who doesn't actually give Peacemaker shit and gives him a free pass on everything he does is Vigilante, who's arguably more fargone because he's trying to emulate the unfiltered Machismo that Peacemaker tries to project.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to repeat what I said a few pages ago but it's intentional that the only character who doesn't actually give Peacemaker shit and gives him a free pass on everything he does is Vigilante, who's arguably more fargone because he's trying to emulate the unfiltered Machismo that Peacemaker tries to project.
That guy is absolutely going to be trouble in the future. At first I thought he's just a clown but he seems to have some skill to back it up

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
new ep tonight 🔥
yeah, i hope they do something with him later

the show seems self-aware that he's a fucking psycho and a ticking time bomb

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying it so far, but anyone feel like the camera is a bit too shaky during action scenes?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoying it so far, but anyone feel like the camera is a bit too shaky during action scenes?

I get the feeling the action sequences in Peacemaker are trying to emulate the style of some of the newer Asian action movies, with the camera moving "along" with the action or following the characters when they fall, dodge, whatever, including those frantic close-ups. It's shaky, but I still think the show is doing a good job of framing the action well at all times instead of using a gazillion of cuts.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying this way more than I did Suicide Squad. This kinda feels like what I was expecting the movie to be. There's more space for the characters to just be.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Love this show, but I really, really hate the tired trope of 'oh let's not inform our team member about the most important aspect about this operation for whatever reason' and its followup 'we don't understand why that team member fucked up this operation so bad.'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying this way more than I did Suicide Squad. This kinda feels like what I was expecting the movie to be. There's more space for the characters to just be.
Yup.
Suicide Squad didn't feel fun to me at all besides the camp scene, movie just felt so mean spirited as well and not even in a dark comedy way.
This show is absolutely what I was originally expecting or closer to it.