• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Warners is literally assessing the situation daily with medical experts and watching exhibition reopenings closely. In box office speak, we often talk about "comps" when it comes to a film's opening weekend, and there aren't any comps for what we're going through with COVID-19. Theater owners hear if Tenet moves, it's to Wonder Woman 1984's date of Aug. 14, and then she jets to December. But if it's evident that theaters can't open by June, does Tenet even go in August? No way in hell is Warner Bros. looking to platform Tenet around the world, given the spoilers involved in this time-twisting espionage thriller. Reddit will have cracked this pic by the end of its Thursday night 7 PM preview.
deadline.com

Is ‘Tenet’ Still Sticking On Its July 17 Release Date?

UPDATED, May 16: Will it? Won’t it? Can it? Exhibitors, rival studios and the town have been paralyzed all week wondering whether Warner Bros.’ Tenet will remain on its July 17 release date and bring the world’s movie theaters back from this coronavirus deep-freeze they’ve been suffering since...

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Randomly came across a Justice League clip today and was reminded how terrible it was.

I still wanna see a Snyder Cut just to see it.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Just saw Umbreto's video about the Snyder Cut where he also says his sources confirmed they held a private screening in early 2020
So how's that line up with the previous "scoop" Snyder asking for more money and WB never planning to release a Snyder JL? Someone's making shit up and I'm not thinking highly enough of El Maybe and Cinema Blend to say it's not them.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
So how's that line up with the previous "scoop" Snyder asking for more money and WB never planning to release a Snyder JL? Someone's making shit up and I'm not thinking highly enough of El Maybe and Cinema Blend to say it's not them.
No idea, I didn't even remember that until you said it. I just go with the flow with this stuff, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of life, just like to have fun with it. Plus, there is NOTHING else to talk about in the DCEU right now.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
No idea, I didn't even remember that until you said it. I just go with the flow with this stuff, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of life, just like to have fun with it. Plus, there is NOTHING else to talk about in the DCEU right now.
I'm just irritated because I suspect those two and people like Grace Rudolph are just out to make money off whipping people into a hysteria by feeding them bullshit. Especially since as you said, there's nothing else to talk about right now.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
'Never' is not the same as 'not planning to.'

What most likely happened is they had a meeting, Zack asked for too much money to finish his original cut and WB declined.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With the pandemic, I could see the chances of it being released on HBO Max going up. Need fresh content for a service and with production shut down across the board, something that just needs a bit more work is going to shoot up the priority list.

It likely comes down to being able to finish the CG in scenes. Is that part of the industry able to work from home?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
With the pandemic, I could see the chances of it being released on HBO Max going up. Need fresh content for a service and with production shut down across the board, something that just needs a bit more work is going to shoot up the priority list.

It likely comes down to being able to finish the CG in scenes. Is that part of the industry able to work from home?
I imagine that would require strong PCs and then I don't how licensing would work for the required programs.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the Justice League Dark film and yeah Snyder should get a chance to finish his vision

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

I'm afraid that I have nothing to add about the Snyder Cut whatsoever. It's weird that out of everyone that I know who happens to be in that 'orbit' no one ever, EVER talks about the Snyder Cut. It feels like this is a phenomenon that exists entirely within Twitter. At this point I'd say that it has progressed from a collection of fanboys to an outright cult.

When I wrote my huge 'post mortem' on Justice League in an early version of this thread (TLDR, Warners never had such a big film where everything that could go wrong did go wrong) the feeling at that time was that Snyder's cut wasn't some lost masterpiece but an overly dark film that was a poor interpretation of the source material. The fact that Snyder was, in essence, given so much rope to hang himself was all down to previous executive Greg Silverman who was credited with bringing Snyder into the studio in the first place with 300 under previous boss Jeff Robinov. With Silverman gone and all new leadership at the studio in Toby Emmerich and Anne Sarnoff I have to imagine that there's zero appetite to spend big money bringing to life a mistake that basically toppled the previous regime. Especially when they want to reposition Pattinson's Batman as the new face of the DCU, it makes zero sense to spend real money reminding people that Affleck used to be Batman and now isn't. Talk about brand confusion.

The only Snyder related thing that had been kicking round was the idea that Snyder might be welcomed back into the 'fold' at Warners to work on a 'non-DC' project at some point in the near future. He's the kind of director that WB likes (big ticket, VFX friendly) and given that they brought David Ayer back for The Dirty Dozen redux it's not impossible that the same would be true of ol' Zack. Said it before and I'll say it again, Zack Snyder directing a live action Attack On Titan or even an adaptation of Forever War could be absolute home runs. Apparently there has been some scuttlebutt that JJ Abrams (under his new WB exclusive deal) could be interested in working with Snyder on a 'non-DC' project so there yet be some twists and turns to this story yet.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the write up Bus-TEE !

I always appreciate your insight. I would like to see Snyder direct another AAA project, but I wonder if too many bridges have been burnt at this point

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to note is that if you're getting your sources from Warner Bros (film, television, animation, comics), then it's only logical you're not going to get much info on the SC since Warner Bros is not handling HBO. (Aside from the fact WB execs want nothing to do with the SC.) WarnerMedia is (who recently appointed a new CEO Jason Kilar.)

AT&T has recently announced they are going to invest $4 billion into making HBO Max a success in 3 years. And since production has been halted due to the Covid outbreak, they are looking for different avenues to create content. Whether the SC is a part of that remains to be seen. It largely depends on negotiations which could go either way at this point. Snyder hasn't posted about the cut since February, which could mean a deal is (about to get) reached, or negotiations have halted and he's given up.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
One thing to note is that if you're getting your sources from Warner Bros (film, television, animation, comics), then it's only logical you're not going to get much info on the SC since Warner Bros is not handling HBO. (Aside from the fact WB execs want nothing to do with the SC.) WarnerMedia is (who recently appointed a new CEO Jason Kilar.)

Though they've made huge strides in breaking down the 'silo' culture that used to exist before the AT&T buy out HBO Max is being 'run' by the Turner (head of TNT and tbs, Kevin Reilly to be exact) division for all intents and purposes so that much is true.

But if (and that's an IF) the Snyder Cut is being readied for HBO Max then Warner Bros (and I'm not saying that I'm directly tied into the brass at WB) would absolutely be in the loop on that because they would be the ones handling it for HBO Max. Warner Bros, across film & TV, are the number one providers to HBO Max being corporate siblings.

I'm not directing this at you but I have seen plenty of Snyder Cut bros tying themselves up in knots trying to figure out the corporate structure of WarnerMedia so they can try and make it fit their narrative. "WB execs are out of the loop on the SC as the AT&T execs are handling it now!". What?

Thank you for the write up Bus-TEE !

I always appreciate your insight. I would like to see Snyder direct another AAA project, but I wonder if too many bridges have been burnt at this point

You're very welcome. :)

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
But if (and that's an IF) the Snyder Cut is being readied for HBO Max then Warner Bros (and I'm not saying that I'm directly tied into the brass at WB) would absolutely be in the loop on that because they would be the ones handling it for HBO Max. Warner Bros, across film & TV, are the number one providers to HBO Max being corporate siblings.
I'm not saying it's a done deal; in fact no attempts at dealings is very much a possibility, but it's not a huge reach to assume the recent pandemic has led to execs scrambling for the impending launch of HBO Max and its offerings for the remainder of the year and beginning of next year. You and I both know you can't produce original content overnight. There's a huge amount of logistics and scheduling behind it. Add in the fact that Kilar only started his position on May 1st and the SC is an anomaly since most of it is finished, there's no reason to assume production crew or bookkeepers are aware of it yet, or even WB execs. If what Snyder is saying is true: the cut is mostly done and only CGI and minimal photography is needed to have a workable cut, it doesn't have to go through WB first. (And if there's one thing WB has said about the cut is that it's a 'pipe dream')

Last edited:

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to let myself believe we will ever see the Snyder Cut. Already made my peace with the fact that I'll probably never see it.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
WarnerMedia is just a parent company for Warner Bros, and the assets they'd use belong to the studio. They'd absolutely be in the loop. Like, that's not how anything works. It's not like WarnerMedia can jack Cartoon Network shows without CN execs being a part of that deal. They may have less say, but they'll know.

That doesn't say anything either way on a Snyder Cut, but these statements don't reflect any actual corporate governance or rights handling.

I want Snyder to team up with James Gunn again and give us the sequel to Dawn of The Dead.

He was doing Army of the Dead for Netflix.
Army-Of-The-Dead-Photo-Netflix-Zack-Snyder.jpg

That begun production in August, so it's potentially done principal.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
WarnerMedia is just a parent company for Warner Bros, and the assets they'd use belong to the studio. They'd absolutely be in the loop. Like, that's not how anything works. It's not like WarnerMedia can jack Cartoon Network shows without CN execs being a part of that deal. They may have less say, but they'll know.

That doesn't say anything either way on a Snyder Cut, but these statements don't reflect any actual corporate governance or rights handling.

I could not have said it better myself. This.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If the Snyder Cut is getting dropped on HBO Max or whatever wonder if they will actually finish it or just dump it raw

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Pie in the sky conspiracy

Snyder is doing a random Man of Steel commentary just a week before HBO Max is set to launch... with the time and stuff would be roughly 1pm ET/10am PT when the movie is over... Which is when I imagine he'll announce it with a WB press release soon after for launch of the service since they no longer have the Friends' special.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Pie in the sky conspiracy

Snyder is doing a random Man of Steel commentary just a week before HBO Max is set to launch... with the time and stuff would be roughly 1pm ET/10am PT when the movie is over... Which is when I imagine he'll announce it with a WB press release soon after for launch of the service since they no longer have the Friends' special.
You're probably not wrong

Also, random Suicide Squad info from Ayer

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I'm just interested in seeing what his version was like compared to the theatrical. If it's worse than the theatrical cut then so be it.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Maybe we should stop listening to people acting like insiders when they know nothing. Outside and inside of this thread.