• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Finally got around to watching BOP ..... It was ...fine?

Was expecting something fantastic given the reviews, but I didn't feel it was particularly great.

Black Mask, Vic, Harley were fantastic characters. The rest were hit and miss. Huntress is probably my favorite and one I want to see more of.

The action scenes seem to be choreographed well enough, but the editing let them down.

The movie was fine, but I feel like by tomorrow I'll mostly forget it existed. It's better than SS, but what isn't?

Third worst DCEU after SS and JL for me. Still in for more Harley.

Nov 13, 2017
So Justice League Dark is its own universe too?

Joker universe
The Batman universe
DCEU universe
CW show universe
DC streaming universe
HBO Max universe

....I hate this.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
J.J. Abrams on anything is as creatively bankrupt as you can get, my expectations are on the equator for Justice League Dark.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

Joker universe
The Batman universe
DCEU universe
CW show universe
DC streaming universe
HBO Max universe

....I hate this.

A)

Joker universe // The Batman universe -- DCEU universe

At the end of the day it's going to be two distinct categories when it comes to theatrical output... The DCU, which will be silos that will either connect at some point or merely lightly reference one another, and then 'ELSEWORLDS' which would be the likes of Joker and the like as well as the animated fare from WAG too obviously. Basically common sense will dictate which falls into which.

For example the Bad Robot 'Justice League Dark silo' will likely be part of the DCU even though, like Shazam before it, it could feature no more a connection to the rest of the 'universe' than some extra in the background reading a newspaper with a photo of Wonder Woman on the cover. Matt Reeves Batman for example is the DCU's Batman but whether he gets to hang out with Superman etc again is another question entirely.

B)

CW show universe -- DC streaming universe -- HBO Max universe

On the TV side of things it becomes more murky in so much as it basically comes down to the actual platform that the series is on. Obviously the CW 'Berlanti-verse' will continue, as will Titans and Doom Patrol in some fashion but I'd be very surprised if Berlanti's 'big ticket' shows on HBO Max will connect to his CW series. It's worth noting that Matt Ryan's Constantine only showed up on the CW after NBC had cancelled the show and effectively removed any network barriers that would have prohibited him appearing on a rival channel.

Though in saying that it remains to be seen whether Berlanti's Green Lantern series and Bad Robot's new 'set in the JLD universe' show on HBO Max will directly connect to their eventual cinematic counterparts or not.

I suppose a more complicated question would be where will these original HBO Max films featuring DC characters (rumoured to be Rose/Thorn and Steel among others) fit into all this? Would HBO Max create a wholly separate and self contained film universe that would sit along side Berlanti's Green Lantern series too or could that be different on a case by case basis too?

Man alive.

EDIT - Needless to say that Netflix's Sandman series (and, if successful, it's spin-offs) won't fit into any category and will be it's own thing entirely.

At least he's not directing a Superman film. He's also producing a The Shining spinoff, right? Can't wait how many more franchises he's going to ruin.

I'd hang fire on that prediction for the time being if I were you......

Last edited:

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If JJ were to direct a derivative Superman film, that might not be so terrible in the grand scheme of things. After how audiences rejected Snyder's version, a back to basics Force Awakens type film might be exactly what WB needs.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If JJ were to direct a derivative Superman film, that might not be so terrible in the grand scheme of things. After how audiences rejected Snyder's version, a back to basics Force Awakens type film might be exactly what WB needs.
superman_returns_teaser_poster_by_sonluc.jpg

Not directed by JJ but I think it did quite a few things JJ would have done with Superman if he decided to go the TFA route rather than something more radical like his Flyby script

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
JJ and Superman seems like a no-brainer, but part of me doubts he's dying to jump back into another AAA project after how draining SW must have been.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
JJ has the same urge to dick about with franchises that Snyder had in order to put their stamp on. You only have to look at his first Supes script. Anyone looking for a classic narrative will be disappointed.

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands

Joker universe
The Batman universe
DCEU universe
CW show universe
DC streaming universe
HBO Max universe

....I hate this.
There is no DC Universe or HBO Max streaming universe. All their shows are set in different universes. The HBO Max shows might be connected but personally I doubt it. Strange Adventures is an anthology series so I don't think they're going to try and connect it to Green Lantern or the CW shows.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Moving The Batman to October is a genuine shocker. I'd have out cash money on them keeping it in a prime summer or winter slot.

Perhaps with the success of Venom in an October slot they think there's an audience there for it but even still, one of, if not the, biggest IP the studio has moving to October feels like a statement.

It just shows how little wiggle room they have to reschedule their films.

EDIT - Shazam 2 moved to November 5th, 2021 while The Flash moves forward a month curiously to June 3rd 2022. I assume that the new Shazam 2 release date could suggest that Aquaman 2 will also be delayed from it's current December 16th, 2022 slot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Moving The Batman to October is a genuine shocker. I'd have out cash money on them keeping it in a prime summer or winter slot.

Perhaps with the success of Venom in an October slot they think there's an audience there for it but even still, one of, if not the, biggest IP the studio has moving to October feels like a statement.

It just shows how little wiggle room they have to reschedule their films.

EDIT - Shazam 2 moved to November 5th, 2021 while The Flash moves forward a month curiously to June 3rd 2022. I assume that the new Shazam 2 release date could suggest that Aquaman 2 will also be delayed from it's current December 16th, 2022 slot.

It's weird you went with Venom... and not Joker since giving it the same release window as that movie as well.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It's weird you went with Venom... and not Joker since giving it the same release window as that movie as well.

Joker is an R rated film. Venom is aimed at a more general audience and, like The Batman will, had more merch and licensing stuff tied into it. The Joker and The Batman are, ironically, two very different propositions for WB.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Joker is an R rated film. Venom is aimed at a more general audience and, like The Batman will, had more merch and licensing stuff tied into it. The Joker and The Batman are, ironically, two very different propositions for WB.

I can see that, to a degree, but you have to imagine them having their own property, in the same universe, that grossed a billion dollars helped with their decision to move to October.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I can see that, to a degree, but you have to imagine them having their own property, in the same universe, that grossed a billion dollars helped with their decision to move to October.

I do see the point you're making yes, they probably have a 'playbook' in terms of marketing the Joker that they could use for The Batman seeing as they are from the same source material.

But with that said Todd Phillips' Joker isn't in the same universe as The Batman and was, ultimately, aimed at an older audience.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they expect production to start again in July or August for The Batman given the 5 month release delay.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was some "insider" who was in this thread awhile back and said Johns was working with Berlanti on the show as well. I don't remember that guy's name but he hasn't been around in ages.

Hopefully the suits don't destroy the movie this time. GL had issues, but the original story and was so different from what we got. There is a reason Martin Campbell refuses to even talk about the movie after how the suits destroyed. A pattern that continued to repeat until WW and Aquaman.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dying at Batfleck standing alongside fucking Sheldon

cool that they're still using him though

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the suits don't destroy the movie this time. GL had issues, but the original story and was so different from what we got. There is a reason Martin Campbell refuses to even talk about the movie after how the suits destroyed. A pattern that continued to repeat until WW and Aquaman.

Oh yeah, that poor movie had so much studio interference, it's amazing it turned out as cohesive as it did. I'd bet money Berlanti got the HBO show as a peace offering for butchering his treatment for the movie. The only good thing to come out of that mess was Mark Strong as Sinestro, it's a damn shame we robbed of more of that.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Don't have official marketing stuff for Battison yet and they haven't recasted Superman yet so they're using the previous incarnations.
I mean... Even if they did why would they advertise a movie that isn't out for another year and a half... In theaters for the launch of their streaming platform

Oct 25, 2017