• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very curious as to how Black Widow and WW84 are gonna perform.
From reading box office forums, people are concerned that Wonder Woman's trailer views are too low. I think Black Widow's first trailer got nearly double the views of Wonder Woman's across all platforms.

Still, the expectation seems to be Wonder Woman doing around $900m, with Black Widow a little less than that.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL Zack Snyder and David Ayer made more good films than James Gunn, David Sandberg, Cathy Yan and arguably Matt Reeves.

When money is on the line, nothing is sacred.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Also, I love how the go-to excuse for every movie being bad is "the marketing". Same shit happens whenever an original movie doesn't take off. It's a lazy catchphrase that takes all of the pressure/responsibility off of audiences.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
LOL Zack Snyder and David Ayer made more good films than James Gunn, David Sandberg, Cathy Yan and arguably Matt Reeves.

When money is on the line, nothing is sacred.
No they didn't lmao. Go look up how many of Snyder's films are rotten. I guess the real "fucking dream world" is the one where Snyder isn't the one who put out critically reviled and commercial underperforming movies.

Sucks that BoP doesn't seem to be doing that well, but this does bode well for Flash since the writer for BoP is doing that movie. Assuming Ezra doesn't throw another tantrum because the script isn't what he wants I think Flash will do well, and then DC will have fixed WW, Aquaman, Flash, and Batman from the damage they took.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
No they didn't lmao. Go look up how many of Snyder's films are rotten. I guess the real "fucking dream world" is the one where Snyder isn't the one who put out critically reviled and commercial underperforming movies.
Who hurt you?

Snyder's fresh movies are: Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen. That's as many as James Gunn: Slither, Guardian of the Galaxy 1 & 2.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Guys don't fight. This is one of those rough times where we need to be strong :(

At least we have a few DC Oscars to look forward to tomorrow. :)

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
WW84 is hitting a billion. I'm not even worried about that. It'll have a bigger opening weekend than the first one as well. I mean, the first one made 400 mil in the US alone. The second one looks fun as hell and people love that 80's vibe. I think it opens to 120 mil and ends up around 1.2 billy

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WW84 is not gonna make more than 400. Thats my opinion. Unless WB learns how to market like Marvel markets their movies. That's what I think.

BoP should have been able to make at least 40 in it's first weekend.

Also there's still a stink from Snyder era that wont go away anytime soon. I said many times he should have gone after BvS.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it and I liked it, but I think people overestimate the pull Harley Quinn actually have. Hopefully the movie makes enough for them to be happy with it.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
It's fantastic.

I hope we still get a Birds of Prey movie by Christina and Cathy. They really came together wonderfully. Hopefully we'll see Batgirl added to the equation too.

Really bummed out by it potentially bombing.

This talk of target audience is so silly, it's a great movie.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
think WB's marketing is so hit or miss, this movie got the shazam treatment, I don't know why the trailers are so weak. The main poster is just not good and I think the costumes look goofy outside of huntress, its still a dope movie but its like they can't get the hype machine going.

Anyways it doesn't have any competition for a long while it should do ok.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
WW2 is gonna make less than the first. The plot is actually kind of stupid (going by leaks) and it might be leaning too close to full camp.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
So which would we rather have this be good and bomb or be bad and succeed
Good, because if it was bad it would've flopped anyway. People don't show up to sequels of shitty movies, even if they get tricked into going to see the first one.
WW2 is gonna make less than the first. The plot is actually kind of stupid (going by leaks) and it might be leaning too close to full camp.
It's a superhero movie. They're all campy and very stupid, and yes that includes Snyder's "capekino". I mean Aquaman's movie was dumb as hell, that didn't hurt it any. If it reviews well it will do well, WW is a much higher profile character than anyone in BoP.

Oct 25, 2017
think WB's marketing is so hit or miss, this movie got the shazam treatment, I don't know why the trailers are so weak. The main poster is just not good and I think the costumes look goofy outside of huntress, its still a dope movie but its like they can't get the hype machine going.

This movie wasn't close to getting the Shazam treatment. I couldn't remember seeing a Shazam TV spot or ad, whereas BoP was damn near everywhere.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't feel that first trailer for WW84.

Not to base it on my own reaction, I think it'll do around the same as the first one, so about $800m ww.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
The story lacks stakes. I mean, I understand why audience doesn't give a fuck about the emancipation of Harley quin.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Also, they released one of the good fights from Birds of Prey. I'm pretty sure it's officially released footage but since it's a third party channel and some people haven't seen the movie yet I'll just post it in a spoiler tag.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

How ‘Birds Of Prey’ Went Astray With $33M+ Opening – Sunday Final

Warner Bros' DC is hitting a pothole in the road with Birds of Prey, which is on its way to a $33.8 million domestic opening.
Interesting tidbit from the Deadline update
I hear the first cut tested really poorly, and that DC film boss Walter Hamada got Birds of Prey into shape of being the critically praised film that it is. As has been widely reported, there were re-shoots, common for those on a big event film like this.

However, what that did was throw a monkey wrench into marketing's machine. I understand they should not be blamed here. They only had so much to work with, and materials weren't ready for the studio to take down to San Diego Comic-Con in July. Despite such stunts as the in-theater trailer drop on It: Chapter Two, and taking Robbie and the film down to Brazil Comic-Con in Sao Paulo, the overall campaign lacked a sense of eventizing (hello, remember, when Hall H fans were posting the illegally taped version of the first Suicide Squad trailer more than a year before its release? That's eventizing!) and that's because marketing didn't have a lot to work with off the movie like they did with Joker, Meg, etc. Remember all the clever marketing tricks and self-parodies that Fox pulled off on Deadpool? That wasn't possible here.

So according to Deadline WB's marketing team got screwed because they didn't have footage to use because of reshoots.

Oct 25, 2017
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Also, I love how the go-to excuse for every movie being bad is "the marketing". Same shit happens whenever an original movie doesn't take off. It's a lazy catchphrase that takes all of the pressure/responsibility off of audiences.

I do think the marketing was weak for this movie though. When people are shocked that it came out this weekend. That's a product of bad marketing. But I also think there just isn't enough "hype" surrounding this movie no matter how good it was.

Oct 25, 2017

Shazam was marketed very well. It got way more exposure leading up to it's release than this movie ever did.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
So yeah, the marketing couldn't do their jobs cause they didn't have footage. We got a better film because of it though, so ehhhhh I dunno what to think.

Oct 25, 2017
That's my fear and one that I want to ignore but sadly can't deny. It's a bummer.

Marvel has brand loyalty. They created that loyalty for over a decade that people will show up for a marvel film no matter what. I expect BW and Eternals to do really well.

It's a tough pill to swallow but think about it. Justice League had just enough to push it past $650 million at the box office. And that was with Batman, Superman, WW, Flash, Aquaman. But there was very little interest in that movie. No one cared about it.

BvS still gets talked about. Good or bad. It gets talked about. There was interest in that movie and the marketing was on point. But no one cared about JL.

BoP is already less hyped in relation to any big tentpole movie. I do think more could have been done on the marketing side, but there just might be little interest in a movie starring characters general audiences know little about. IT sucks, but DC should stay the course. Their movies have been reviewing well and for the most part performing well at the box office.

Oct 25, 2017
DC released a good movie with a strong female lead that will make a profit and grow their fanbase. I'd love for that to be enough for them, but I fear their lesson from this will be "if we'd made it PG 13 and cast a bunch of young models it would have hit 800 million."

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
DC released a good movie with a strong female lead that will make a profit and grow their fanbase. I'd love for that to be enough for them, but I fear their lesson from this will be "if we'd made it PG 13 and cast a bunch of young models it would have hit 800 million."
I'd agree with you but we don't even know if this will turn profit. Will be lucky if it does

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao the hyperbole going on in that Cheetah "reveal" thread with posters saying it looks worse than CATS.

Like are you fucking serious? This site sometimes I swear.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Well they sure as hell didn't spend 100 mil to market this, so I'm sure when it hits 200 mil world wide that'll be enough to make it profitable.

also, this...

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
People are really trying to pass judgment of the Cheetah design based of some low res scan of what looks like some merch packaging ?

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Margot shouldn't have pushed for it to be R rated and should have made the title clearer to what the movie is actually about, a Harley Quinn film featuring the Birds of Prey. Everything needed to be kept simple because it's hard to sell crowds on something that appears convoluted.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
People are really trying to pass judgment of the Cheetah design based of some low res scan of what looks like some merch packaging ?
ERA wants DC to fail, how many times do you guys need to relearn this? Whether it's out of some dumbass brand loyalty to Papa Disney and Marvel, or simple dislike of DC, ERA generally takes joy in DC's fuck ups. Even if DC puts out critical hit after critical hit, ERA would still immediately pounce if they put out just one more flop. It's not worth getting worked up over, Cheetah looks more comic accurate than that shitty tacticool Taskmaster.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Is it actually possible that BoP may not even turn a profit for WB?

Jesus christ that would suck :(

It's a brilliant film!

They really should have released a red band trailer or two showing Ewan McGregor absolutely chewing scenary.

Though I really wish they didn't kill him off in this one.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Again, the movie cost 85 mil to make. They usually say to double that to include the marketing, but I doubt they spent more than 50 mil. So at worst, it cost them 170 mil. Even a 35 mil opening weekend means they'll hit 200 mil world wide when it's all said and done. Not to mention digital and dvd sales. They probably wanted 500 mil, but oh well. They got a good movie which if they stick to their guns can launch a new franchise with lessons learned.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
ERA wants DC to fail, how many times do you guys need to relearn this? Whether it's out of some dumbass brand loyalty to Papa Disney and Marvel, or simple dislike of DC, ERA generally takes joy in DC's fuck ups. Even if DC puts out critical hit after critical hit, ERA would still immediately pounce if they put out just one more flop. It's not worth getting worked up over, Cheetah looks more comic accurate than that shitty tacticool Taskmaster.

Right? He looks like he came off of G.I. Joe.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Is it actually possible that BoP may not even turn a profit for WB?

Jesus christ that would suck :(

It's a brilliant film!

They really should have released a red band trailer or two showing Ewan McGregor absolutely chewing scenary.

Though I really wish they didn't kill him off in this one.
Internationally it's doing really bad so that's why it might not make a profit as well as domestically

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Back when Suicide Squad came out, you could probably finance several small scale movies off the merchandise it drove. Everyone was Joker/Harley that Halloween .

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope this doesn't dishearten Margot Robbie. She worked to get the movie made for 5 years and seemed happy to get it out there only for the general audience to reject it. She seems like a really passionate worker and an amazing Harley at that.