• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
80 reviews with a 90%, BoP will be certified fresh!

EQEAHMqUUAAKKlU

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
Mhm... I saw it last night and I don't know exactly what to think about the movie from an overall point of view.

Spoiler, even if I won't spoile the intrigue.
First, the acting is really good, Harley, Dinah and Roman are great.
The cinematography is insane, as with the majority of the DC movies (except Shazam :/)
The action is over the top, it's like John Wick meet the Charlies Angels.
The pace is tough to follow, but the movie's only 1h45 so it's fine, it's like a rush of adrenaline for the whole movie.
But... damn, the scenario is really uninteresting. Cass Cain (which I'm not familiar with in the comics, I read only Sup, JL, WW and GL) is useless and it's not a Birds of Prey movie at all, the next one will be. And now i'm worried about Batgirl and the Flash. The characters will be great, but the plot needs to be really more interesting.
And in terms of pure Comic book action, I was really frustated by Black Canary, one of my favorite DC character, the one who trains the Young Justice in the animated, she doesn't use her power that much.

In the end, I had a good time, but not a great time worth a wait of a few years. I think I had more fun with JL and SS.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't fathom SS and JL being more enjoyable to watch, those films are a train wreck.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I can see SS being a decent watch if you're drunk or something. Nothing saves JL though.
I tried that and it still wasn't good (SS). When it came out, the first 20 minutes didn't bother me. But ever since I saw it... elevated... I couldn't stand how jumbled it was.

JL has maybe 4 scenes that I really like but I can't push myself to watch all the way through.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed SS and JL despise their issues and in terms of pure spectacle they are ahead of BoP, that's just what I'm saying. BoP have other qualities but the stakes a just too low for me.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I cancelled my BoP ticket for today!
Because I wanted to go for an earlier time and ended up spending more money.

Also JL might be a boring slog of a movie but at least it's a mostly functional film. SS isn't.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I will say

It's funny going from people anticipating DC review threads with meltdowns... to anticipating DC Review threads for people twisting themselves in a knot to prove the movie was actually not good

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed both SS and JL the first time I saw them but on the second watch I found them pretty bad. At least JL gave us a proper Superman for the tiny screentime he had and ignoring his CG face. But those movies are now old DCEU era, since Hamada took over their movies have been solid imo. I just hope we dont have to wait too many years before we finally get a proper team up movie again.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just came out of Birds of Prey. That was okay. I'm very satisfied with the action, and wish we had more but that's just a testament to how good it was. I wish they had been more creative utilizing Montoya and her detective skills. Huntress didn't have much to do for 2/3rds of it but I'm satisfied how she was sprinkled around doing her own thing. I like that they had distinct fighting styles. The movie got better the further into it you got, but I feel like Margot is a little bit inconsistent in her depiction of Harley. And Gotham didn't feel like Gotham to me for most parts of the movie. Black Mask is a great villain but again, I wish he had more to do. Really what I take away from Birds of Prey is how awesome Harley's fight scenes were. There wasn't much of a story but what was there was fine.

If I had to rank (Joker included):

GOOD
1. Joker
2. Wonder Woman
3. Aquaman

AVERAGE
4. Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut
5. Birds of Prey
6. Man of Steel

BAD
7. Shazam
8. Suicide Squad: Director's Cut
9. Justice League

Can't say I was too hooked on Birds of Prey though. It felt very hollow because of that thin story.

Last edited:

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably rank BoP only above Suicide Squad. Didn't hate it but my expectations were perhaps a little too high, especially after watching the new Harley Quinn animated show. Overall it definitely was a great time and just a lot of, and trigger warning because I'm going to say the "F" word, FUN!

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US!!!!!

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Just came out of Birds of Prey. That was okay. I'm very satisfied with the action, and wish we had more but that's just a testament to how good it was. I wish they had been more creative utilizing Montoya and her detective skills. Huntress didn't have much to do for 2/3rds of it but I'm satisfied how she was sprinkled around doing her own thing. I like that they had distinct fighting styles. The movie got better the further into it you got, but I feel like Margot is a little bit inconsistent in her depiction of Harley. And Gotham didn't feel like Gotham to me for most parts of the movie. Black Mask is a great villain but again, I wish he had more to do. Really what I take away from Birds of Prey is how awesome Harley's fight scenes were. There wasn't much of a story but what was there was fine.

If I had to rank (Joker included):

GOOD
1. Joker
2. Wonder Woman
3. Aquaman

AVERAGE
4. Birds of Prey
5. Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut
6. Man of Steel

BAD
7. Shazam
8. Suicide Squad: Director's Cut
9. Justice League

Can't say I was too hooked on Birds of Prey though. It felt very hollow because of that thin story. Maybe I'll rank it below BvS and MoS in time.

How dare you do Shazam dirty like that

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Film studios need to be less afraid to release 3 hour long movies, especially if that's the vision of the director. Batman vs Superman was three hours well spent. I couldn't pick a single minute that needed to be cut, let alone 30.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Film studios need to be less afraid to release 3 hour long movies, especially if that's the vision of the director. Batman vs Superman was three hours well spent. I couldn't pick a single minute that needed to be cut, let alone 30.
Did you like it? What did you think of Batfleck and how he gives no fucks? I liked his jaded, brutal Batman, but can understand if it was too much for some.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, more action scenes WB's editors cut in JL because reasons.

Glad you liked it! Even the Martha scene haha

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
God damn, can Zack make Batman a fucking boss on screen. We're never gonna see this again unless Reeve's has something up his sleeve.
I have doubts Battinson is going to look as vicious. At this point I'm doubtful the SC is going to come out before Reeves' film releases. Don't want to have audiences compare the Batmen.

Oct 25, 2017
Got yelled at for saying Harley's a 'B-list' character in the BOP threads, I thought the post itself was context enough. They knew what I meant.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm box office mojo lowered their predictions.
Hopefully WoM is good to help boost it up.

Oct 25, 2017
I can see both arguments. She's in a spot all her own, really.

I recognise that, I loved BTAS all the more for creating the character, and just glad that the business overlord types saw she had something that resonated and elevated her accordingly.

WB/DC's (Downey's) Iron Man, as I said.

That is by no means taking away from her past incarnations, especially happy for Paul Dini and others who've imbued her with life previously either on the page or on the animated screen.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
BoP was alright. Harley is Goro Majima. The fights are mostly fun. The girl really didn't need to be named Cassandra Cain. You go in expecting a movie starring the BoP and you might be disappointed. Huntress was sorely under used and is barely a character. Although they do get props
for giving her that dumb mask at the end.
7/10

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I'm just now realizing this, but Jurnee is an absolute dime jesus
BoP was alright. Harley is Goro Majima. The fights are mostly fun. The girl really didn't need to be named Cassandra Cain. You go in expecting a movie starring the BoP and you might be disappointed. Huntress was sorely under used and is barely a character. Although they do get props
for giving her that dumb mask at the end.
7/10
LMAO

Oct 25, 2017
I liked BoP. Parts of it are great, even large part. It's like what Suicide Squad tried to be (and failed at, horribly).

DC Movies, Ranked
Man of Steel
Aquaman
Batman V Superman UC
Birds of Prey
Wonder Woman
Shazam
Joker
Batman v Superman TC
Justice League
Suicide Squad

Edit: I forgot about Joker