• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Woooooooooo! Alright Penguin, rank it among the other DCEU movies.

EDIT - Also, there's for sure no after credit stuff, right? Just a little sound bite from Harley or something?

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Some disclaimers before I begin

This comes of course colored, a free screening, buttered us up with free popcorn and water, got a mini-poster and a Harley hairpiece. Most importantly, we got the cast out before the movie to say hi.

And for basic taste, I pretty much enjoyed all DCEU films sans Suicide Squad and Justice League.

First, and most importantly, this is a Harley Quinn film. I mean Birds of Prey are in the title and show up in the movie, but Harley is our central character and that shows. I know that will be a turn-off for some, it happens.

But outside of that, the movie had me from the opening segment. I won't spoil it, but started so different from any other comic book movie I saw, it was hard not to be drawn into the world. And from there, the opening 20-30 minutes are just chaotic, zany and frantic in a good way. It sticks the landing of what Suicide Squad tried to do in its several opening scenes with ease and grace. There's a ton of "Fun" (I know overused buzz words) moments and running jokes established in the movie. Personally, the unreliable narrator is one of my favorite tropes when pulled off well, and this movie does it with style.

The action is cool, fun and almost all of the setpieces pop with an unique visual look (most of which you've seen bits and pieces of in the trailer)

The stars of the movie are Margot Robbie and... Ewan McGregor. His Roman/Black Mask may not be the most ambitious comic villain, but he really nails what they tried to do in Iron Man 2 with Justin Hammer. Just over the top, silly, goofy, but also menacing when he wants to be.

The music choice was top-notch, the score was solid.

Overall just a good time at the movies.

As for more DCEU spoilers

The movie clearly takes places after Suicide Squad as established in the beginning. We see her cut her hair from the movie.

There's a flashback to her origins from Suicide Squad as well.

At one point, she explains her origins to Cass and we get a REALLY quick summation of Suicide Squad.

There's a Captain Boomerang easter egg and callback to her shirt from SS

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Excellent. That sounds what I had hoped the movie would be. Do you think it could've been a bit longer to help any scenes? It's the shortest of the DCEU movies by far (1 hour 49 minutes).

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some disclaimers before I begin

This comes of course colored, a free screening, buttered us up with free popcorn and water, got a mini-poster and a Harley hairpiece. Most importantly, we got the cast out before the movie to say hi.

And for basic taste, I pretty much enjoyed all DCEU films sans Suicide Squad and Justice League.

First, and most importantly, this is a Harley Quinn film. I mean Birds of Prey are in the title and show up in the movie, but Harley is our central character and that shows. I know that will be a turn-off for some, it happens.

But outside of that, the movie had me from the opening segment. I won't spoil it, but started so different from any other comic book movie I saw, it was hard not to be drawn into the world. And from there, the opening 20-30 minutes are just chaotic, zany and frantic in a good way. It sticks the landing of what Suicide Squad tried to do in its several opening scenes with ease and grace. There's a ton of "Fun" (I know overused buzz words) moments and running jokes established in the movie. Personally, the unreliable narrator is one of my favorite tropes when pulled off well, and this movie does it with style.

The action is cool, fun and almost all of the setpieces pop with an unique visual look (most of which you've seen bits and pieces of in the trailer)

The stars of the movie are Margot Robbie and... Ewan McGregor. His Roman/Black Mask may not be the most ambitious comic villain, but he really nails what they tried to do in Iron Man 2 with Justin Hammer. Just over the top, silly, goofy, but also menacing when he wants to be.

The music choice was top-notch, the score was solid.

Overall just a good time at the movies.

As for more DCEU spoilers

The movie clearly takes places after Suicide Squad as established in the beginning. We see her cut her hair from the movie.

There's a flashback to her origins from Suicide Squad as well.

At one point, she explains her origins to Cass and we get a REALLY quick summation of Suicide Squad.

There's a Captain Boomerang easter egg and callback to her shirt from SS
Thanks!
I have hope now :)

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also now I've seen the Trinity and Birds of Prey in person

EP-_RAfW4AMuXAd.jpg

EP-_Ra7W4AAm4as.jpg

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Their's been a couple not so good reactions coming in from critics. I was expecting them anyways.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Their's been a couple not so good reactions coming in from critics. I was expecting them anyways.
Hm, I have seen only two tweets that might be mixed, but not really. One said they had fun, it was never uninteresting, but the script needed more work. The other one stated the first half is a mess, the second half is great.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I have seen only two tweets that might be mixed, but not really. One said they had fun, it was never uninteresting, but the script needed more work. The other one stated the first half is a mess, the second half is great.

This one critic I read was being really hyperbolic saying he would watch any other movie than watching BoP again.

So yeah... That's the only harshest one I've come across so far.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Saw that while looking through the tweets. Dunno if that was just a bug or what. To get an 89, you'd need at least 30 reviews counted, right?

EDIT - No, you'd need like 70 reviews and 62 would need to be positive.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting that Pattinson has been hanging out with the Bird's of Prey cast.
Hope this doesn't spoil anything - haven't read up any spoilers for BoP.

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting that Pattinson has been hanging out with the Bird's of Prey cast.
Hope this doesn't spoil anything - haven't read up any spoilers for BoP.

Well, it seems like he was there with a mutual friend. The individual who posted the clip of Pattinson hanging out with the BOP cast is Zoe Kravitz's hair stylist and also styled Jurnee's hair for Birds of Prey apparently.

Connect The Batman to the DCEU you cowards.

"And I'll whisper, 'No.'"