• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
So about that batsuit

We're waiting
Here's a bat suit for you!
pumpking-bat-guy-halloween-suits-3.jpg

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Farrell says he starts filming Batman in two weeks. Apparently the white hair wasn't for Penguin.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
You don't think Flashpoint will lead to a connected universe?
Reeves has total creative control over Batman. That doesn't mesh well with a connected universe because everyone has to play nice with everyone else in order for it to work. That's why you need a Feige figure.

Honestly I prefer it this way. Give me self contained WW/Flash/Aquaman/Superman trilogies where they get to be the stars over a lame cinematic universe that's mainly team ups starring Batman and featuring "Some other guys who are not as important as Batman" any day.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reeves has total creative control over Batman. That doesn't mesh well with a connected universe because everyone has to play nice with everyone else in order for it to work. That's why you need a Feige figure.

Honestly I prefer it this way. Give me self contained WW/Flash/Aquaman/Superman trilogies where they get to be the stars over a lame cinematic universe that's mainly team ups starring Batman and featuring "Some other guys who are not as important as Batman" any day.

Reeves seems like a team player though, and if you're well read on his history with The Batman project he's been repeatedly saying over the years this is in the DCEU so he's absolutely not averse to being part of a cinematic universe that he doesn't consider lame.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Reeves seems like a team player though, and if you're well read on his history with The Batman project he's been repeatedly saying over the years this is in the DCEU so he's absolutely not averse to being part of a cinematic universe that he doesn't consider lame.
That was back when Affleck was still going to be his Batman though wasn't it? Plans change.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
He can't keep all the toys to himself because WB is still running everything. He's not gonna have a say in anything when Pattinson appears in other films.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Put it this way: what's the incentive for Reeves to do that? Why would he want to do that when he can basically keep all the toys to play with to himself?

I mean maybe he thinks it's cool? Shit, we don't know Reeves. Even if plans change, his initial feelings reflect that he was very receptive to being part of a large universe so we should stop talking about it as a certainty that he would definitely not want to be interconnected.

Plus he could still keep making prequels ala Wonder Woman movies that are never really affected by future flicks.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Put it this way: what's the incentive for Reeves to do that? Why would he want to do that when he can basically keep all the toys to play with to himself?
I think you guys are putting too much stock into how much power Reeves has. Did any report say he can literally do anything he wants? I only remember reports about more creative control, not "100%, do whatever the fuck i want control".

And his incentive? Not being an asshole in a town where your reputation matters maybe? He can still play with practically all the toys. I'm just saying, he can do that WHILE not completely contradicting the DCEU.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can't say you want top tier talent to come in and have complete control over a character and then tell them they gotta also be aware and fit in with a dozen other properties.

Cavill, a relative unknown who they could get for cheap and when they had a creative that wanted to do a big connected universe, still only signed a 3-4 picture deal.

You guys really believe they signed Pattinson to some epic 8-10 picture deal? Lol.

Remember, Reeves played them hard when negotiating. He leaked the story on a Friday about how he was out of the running and Warner Bros had to go crawling to him after the Internet reaction. He got his long time producing partner on the project as a part of the deal. People seem to be forgetting just how bleak it was for DC when Reeves inked his deal.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
He can't keep all the toys to himself because WB is still running everything. He's not gonna have a say in anything when Pattinson appears in other films.
They can still use Batman but my question is can they use Battison? Can they use Reeves versions of these characters without his consent if he doesn't want to play ball, that's all I'm asking. I mean the JL Mortal movie was going to cast someone else as Batman at the same time as Nolan was doing his thing, I can see that happening if WB really wanted a JL movie but Reeves doesn't want to tie into that.
You can't say you want top tier talent to come in and have complete control over a character and then tell them they gotta also be aware and fit in with a dozen other properties.

Cavill, a relative unknown who they could get for cheap and when they had a creative that wanted to do a big connected universe, still only signed a 3-4 picture deal.

You guys really believe they signed Pattinson to some epic 8-10 picture deal? Lol.

Remember, Reeves played them hard when negotiating. He leaked the story on a Friday about how he was out of the running and Warner Bros had to go crawling to him after the Internet reaction. He got his long time producing partner on the project as a part of the deal. People seem to be forgetting just how bleak it was for DC when Reeves inked his deal.
Yeah it bears remembering that WB had no leverage what to speak of. The DC Franchise was a garbage fire that just kept burning, they were desperate to fix their image. Obviously now DC is in a different, healthier place but given how much Reeves twisted their arm into giving him what he wanted, who knows what his deal looks like?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

Pattinson is not a huge megastar. He had Twilight and then did some indies and now people act as if he has too much integrity. I don't see any reason at all to doubt that he signed a multipicture deal beyond the trilogy. I think it's more insane to assume that they would hire someone who would be against that, for their biggest character. They don't need Pattinson.

Look at the top tier talent in the MCU. Actors are not against franchise roles anymore. And WB is not going to sign away 100% complete control over anything, especially to Matt Reeves. He's solid but not irreplaceable. I think you guys are overestimating his power.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pattinson is not a huge megastar. He had Twilight and then did some indies and now people act as if he has too much integrity. I don't see any reason at all to doubt that he signed a multipicture deal beyond the trilogy. I think it's more insane to assume that they would hire someone who would be against that, for their biggest character. They don't need Pattinson.

Look at the top tier talent in the MCU. Actors are not against franchise roles anymore. And WB is not going to sign away 100% complete control over anything, especially to Matt Reeves. He's solid but not irreplaceable. I think you guys are overestimating his power.
And ultimately, I think you guys are overestimating the need for a connected universe.

Studios have tried and failed. They now understand what it takes to create something like the MCU and I don't think any of them want to deal with it. You need equal parts the right people running it and luck.

Warner Bros is likely more than fine with a bunch of trilogies where each film is making 800M to 1B for them than trying to steer some connected universe.

It's not worth the trouble when they have little to gain from it. Solo films are already on par with MCU solo films and you only get to Endgame numbers if you make a very long term commitment.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
If you peeps have 2 hours and 45 minutes to kill, lol, KindaFunny is doing their DCEU in Review and Man of Steel is up first. I'm about 15 minutes in and it's very entertaining. Greg being such a Superman fan boy helps out, but they're actually talking about it in a real way and discussing what worked and what doesn't (even Greg).

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
And ultimately, I think you guys are overestimating the need for a connected universe.

Studios have tried and failed. They now understand what it takes to create something like the MCU and I don't think any of them want to deal with it. You need equal parts the right people running it and luck.

Warner Bros is likely more than fine with a bunch of trilogies where each film is making 800M to 1B for them than trying to steer some connected universe.

It's not worth the trouble when they have little to gain from it. Solo films are already on par with MCU solo films and you only get to Endgame numbers if you make a very long term commitment.
I probably am, but the need for the connected universe is just my preference. All I'm saying is that even if that need doesn't exist, it's crazy to think that Reeves wouldn't play ball if asked. There's just no possible world where he literally has full control over the characters.

Also I don't know if what you say is true about the financials. Without a connected universe, I don't think Shazam ever gets to the 1 billion level, for example. It's going to take Black Adam/The Rock to get anywhere near that. A DCEU helps smaller characters gain some popularity, rather than just the Justice League members.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

They're not against the idea completely, Shazam! had a Superman cameo.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You're overestimating our position for most likely a more connected universe in the future. You don't do Flashpoint without having ripple effects, and it gives more power than not to Reeves to make the changes he wants whilst also able to play more in the DCEU and its characters without having to step on anyone's toes.

The thing is that it's just weird to see people so adamant that Reeves is certainly not receptive to a connected universe when there's no evidence for that position, and in fact more evidence to the opposite argument.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I probably am, but the need for the connected universe is just my preference. All I'm saying is that even if that need doesn't exist, it's crazy to think that Reeves wouldn't play ball if asked. There's just no possible world where he literally has full control over the characters.

Also I don't know if what you say is true about the financials. Without a connected universe, I don't think Shazam ever gets to the 1 billion level, for example. It's going to take Black Adam/The Rock to get anywhere near that. A DCEU helps smaller characters gain some popularity, rather than just the Justice League members.
Does Reeves have 100% control over things? Of course not, but he was in a position of strength when he negotiated his deal. If his film catches fire both critically and commercially, he's gonna be given more leeway. Also, Warner Bros would likely want to keep someone like Reeves happy because he would be a good director to add to their stable of go-to talent.

Not every MCU solo outing hits a billion either. Maybe Shazam just doesn't have that kind of appeal on his own.

You're overestimating our position for most likely a more connected universe in the future. You don't do Flashpoint without having ripple effects, and it gives more power than not to Reeves to make the changes he wants whilst also able to play more in the DCEU and its characters without having to step on anyone's toes.

The thing is that it's just weird to see people so adamant that Reeves is certainly not receptive to a connected universe when there's no evidence for that position, and in fact more evidence to the opposite argument.
This is like the 4th different vision for the Flash in as many years? I'll believe it when I see it.

What evidence? The one tweet from August of 2017 before he even started working on the project full-time?

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Does Reeves have 100% control over things? Of course not, but he was in a position of strength when he negotiated his deal. If his film catches fire both critically and commercially, he's gonna be given more leeway. Also, Warner Bros would likely want to keep someone like Reeves happy because he would be a good director to add to their stable of go-to talent.

Not every MCU solo outing hits a billion either. Maybe Shazam just doesn't have that kind of appeal on his own.
Reeves has said on more than one occasion that this is set in the DCEU. I'm not sure where the discussion is. Did I miss an interview where he said otherwise?

What's the lowest worldwide grosser for MCU? Dr. Strange hit 677m. Ant-Man 1 did over 500m. You don't think Shazam would have done better if the DCEU was in a better place with Shazam doing a cameo in a Superman movie first?

I love movies and I love DC. I want quality first over a connected universe, of course. But you can't deny the effect that a successful universe has, and a company like WB is not going to ignore that. They are going to find a way to bring it all together, for better or for worse.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I hope the connected universe isn't dead. There's so much untapped potential. It doesn't even need to connected like the mcu just some nods here and there.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I was doing some maths during my commute this morning, thinking about work and stuff and realized that first showings of Birds of Prey is literally 2 weeks from now... and probably should get them tickets on sale

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I was doing some maths during my commute this morning, thinking about work and stuff and realized that first showings of Birds of Prey is literally 2 weeks from now... and probably should get them tickets on sale
Given the way things have gone with people realizing how soon BoP is approaching I expect the tickets to go sale by tomorrow evening.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed it yesterday when I went to buy IMAX tickets for it... couldn't buy them as they aren't on sale yet.

Bought tickets for the Gentlemen instead... and if we have time we'll see Bad Boys 3 at a matinee this weekend.

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Review embargo lifts much later than I thought it would, which is kinda worrying. Shazam! review embargo dropped two weeks before US release, Aquaman 10 days before, and Joker over a month before (due to Venice).

Hopefully it means nothing.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
I also think its better to release reviews on the week the movie comes out. I mean Marvel started doing that now for their recent films.

Status
Not open for further replies.