• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
lol Star Wars. I loved TLJ but I feel like people overcompensate the way they defend the movie and Rian.
I initially stayed out of the TLJ threads but lately I said f it and gave my opinion.

It's just a meh film for me. Great production values and excellent photography and sound. Just a joy to look at and listen to. But there's a laundry list of poorly executed ideas that may have sounded good on paper but not in action. Rose, Finn, and Poe were completely wasted because of a contrived plot. It's the same plot contrivance that BvS had when Superman could have just explained the situation instead of being roped into fighting.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I think it gets best picture nom

Unless restricted to 5 again

I never remember the rules

Wouldn't be my pick to win
Best Picture is up to 10, but they rarely use all ten. Last year was eight, 2018 and 2017 were nine, 2016 was eight.

Irishman
Marriage Story
Parasite
Jojo Rabbit
Once Upon a time in Hollywood
The Farewell
Ford v Ferrari
Two Popes

Joker could sneak it after that, but there's also Little Women, 1917, Uncut Gems, Dolemite is my Name, and maybe Rocketman. Golden Globes split the awards between drama and musical/comedy, but the full list is: Irishman, Joker, Marriage Story, Two Popes, 1917, Dolemite, Jojo Rabbit, Knives Out, Once Upon, and Rocketman.

Best case, it's the Black Panther of this year: the film they add to show they're with the times.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm cool with Joaquin getting his due, but I don't think film itself is on the same level of the year's best

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man tomorrow is gonna be a hell of a day when Star Wars reviews hit. I am so there for it. Has nothing to do with DC and im not that into Star Wars so It should be fun.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
If Roma could get an Best Picture Oscar nom, so can Parasite.

Also wolf...kinda glad I don't care too much for Star Wars.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Best Picture is up to 10, but they rarely use all ten. Last year was eight, 2018 and 2017 were nine, 2016 was eight.

Irishman
Marriage Story
Parasite
Jojo Rabbit
The Farewell
Ford v Ferrari
Two Popes

Joker could sneak it after that, but there's also Little Women, 1917, Uncut Gems, Dolemite is my Name, and maybe Rocketman. Golden Globes split the awards between drama and musical/comedy, but the full list is: Irishman, Joker, Marriage Story, Two Popes, 1917, Dolemite, Jojo Rabbit, Knives Out, Once Upon, and Rocketman.

Best case, it's the Black Panther of this year: the film they add to show they're with the times.
Go Parasite! Has there been a foreign film nominated as best picture before? Also JoJo Rabbit is best picture worthy? Man..maybe I need to rewatch it. I fell asleep after the first half

edit: I see this was discussed just above me lol..

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Terrio-News.jpg

The man who saved Star Wars

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Irishman
Marriage Story
Parasite
Jojo Rabbit
The Farewell
Ford v Ferrari
Two Popes

Yeah I'm thinking it gets the Black Panther slot, of no chance in hell, but it builds SOME mainstream interest.

But it's a solid list, and honestly on your list... if I'm gonna fight for one it's Dolemite is My Name.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm thinking it gets the Black Panther slot, of no chance in hell, but it builds SOME mainstream interest.

But it's a solid list, and honestly on your list... if I'm gonna fight for one it's Dolemite is My Name.

Dolemite is fuzzy because Netflix is putting its campaign weight behind Irishman and Marriage Story, but Eddie Murphy's return might get Hollywood to stand up and take notice.

Not unexpected, but very nice.

Deleted member 4353

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's ever going to work on another blockbuster franchise again. I really wanted JJ & him to nail the ending. I'll form my own opinion after I see it Wednesday.

You know, I honestly had a feeling when i heard he was working with JJ on this movie. Turns out I was right lol. I'll probably end up loving the movie because I generally disagree with movie critics.

I feel like most critics will trash the movie as some sort of retribution for TLJ and the unnecessary hate it received.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
You know, I honestly had a feeling when i heard he was working with JJ on this movie. Turns out I was right lol. I'll probably end up loving the movie because I generally disagree with movie critics.

I feel like most critics will trash the movie as some sort of retribution for TLJ and the unnecessary hate it received.
See and that's bs that they're judging this movie harshly to feel vindicated about the tlj. That definitely shows bias to me. Man I hate how much weight is put into rotten tomatoes. Its ruined the film industry for me personally.

Deleted member 4353

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See and that's bs that they're judging this movie harshly to feel vindicated about the tlj. That definitely shows bias to me. Man I hate how much weight is put into rotten tomatoes. Its ruined the film industry for me personally.

Agreed man. RT is a problem now and I feel like BvS reception and the toxicity had a thing to do with how big the site got.

Bash TROS so that you can feel vindicated about TLJ. Can't believe I'm actually defending a Star Wars movie. One thing I've always hated is praising something so that you can use that to bash something else and that happens so much nowadays.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Agreed man. RT is a problem now and I feel like BvS reception and the toxicity had a thing to do with how big the site got.

Bash TROS so that you can feel vindicated about TLJ. Can't believe I'm actually defending a Star Wars movie. One thing I've always hated is praising something so that you can use that to bash something else and that happens so much nowadays.
Honestly I would say even with the dark knight rises it seemed like internet nerds put so much weight into it and then there was man of steel the year after I remember people freaking out. Actually with the dark knight rises they got rid of letting you comment under each individual reviewer because they got death threats. So basically it started because of dc lol.Honestly the best review metric is metacritic and I wish more people used that instead of RT.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would say even with the dark knight rises it seemed like internet nerds put so much weight into it and then there was man of steel the year after I remember people freaking out. Actually with the dark knight rises they got rid of letting you comment under each individual reviewer because they got death threats. So basically it started because of dc lol.Honestly the best review metric is metacritic and I wish more people used that instead of RT.
Metacritic means embracing the full 1-10 scale and it's just not going to happen in a place that gravitates towards blockbuster films because it quickly means accepting something in the 50-80 range instead of the 85-94 range (which doesn't offer the same kind of validation). As I've said countless times RT is pointless because you can theoretically make a 3/5 movie, have a vast majority of the critics input it as a fresh review, and end up with a film in the 85-94 range.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Love to see Man of Steel and BvS get thrown into the review fracas quite often
It gives me a hearty chuckle each time

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like him to do what he does best: start a franchise off.

But maybe having someone who can see it all the way through is better.
True that. J.J. did great with MI3, which basically started this whole MI resurgence, ST09, Lost, and SW imo. But then again, I like his later stuff too like Into Darkness so what do I know.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not a fan of JJ at all so preferably, I'd like to keep him away from Superman. Maybe WB can give the reigns to a promising up-and-coming director we wouldn't have expected. Similar to how Nolan took on Batman.

Oct 25, 2017
I love JJ so I'd be fine with him handling Superman. TROS was doomed no matter who directed it, imo.

Yeah, there were too many factors getting in the way for TROS to ever really have a chance at working for the masses.

I still think JJ has it in him to make a stellar Superman film.

I'm really not a fan of JJ at all so preferably, I'd like to keep him away from Superman. Maybe WB can give the reigns to a promising up-and-coming director we wouldn't have expected. Similar to how Nolan took on Batman.

This would also be cool to see, but I doubt that will happen.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
J.J. is all nostalgia and no substance. People would fall for it all over again with the first film and then when he has to develop something with the sequel it would all fall apart.

I believe they could do better, but he's gonna do something DC and given his history with Superman, it will likely be that.

Oct 25, 2017
J.J. is all nostalgia and no substance. People would fall for it all over again with the first film and then when he has to develop something with the sequel it would all fall apart.

I believe they could do better, but he's gonna do something DC and given his history with Superman, it will likely be that.

Well, no, I think it really depends on the content he's working with. Remember that the old script for Superman: Flyby was criticized for being very experimental and nutty with the source material, though I'd expect whatever possible Superman film he'd make today would feel more traditional than that.

My question is whether or not JJ would be interested in working with Henry on the film or not.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
Movie is great and people have a tendency to overreact for everything.
Give me a JJ Abrams Superman with Chris Terrio.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I love JJ so I'd be fine with him handling Superman. TROS was doomed no matter who directed it, imo.
Basically how I feel. TLJ really left nothing for him to do, unless you just had the FO win and take over.
Movie is great and people have a tendency to overreact for everything.
Give me a JJ Abrams Superman with Chris Terrio.
No to Terrio, Superman was the second worst part of BvS, with Lex being the worst. He can't write the character well at all. Honestly Terrio should stick to "grounded" stories, he's flopped trying to become a big blockbuster movie guy.
I like how people think the studio is to blame now instead of the director. The irony.
They are. Disney wanted to pump these movies out quickly reducing the amount of time directors got to make them. KK just let Abrams and Johnson do whatever they want and it turned into a pissing match. The Story Group is a total joke that's only job is to rubber stamp whatever these people put out. Filoni and Favreau should be in charge, Feige is going to turn Star Wars into the same cookie cutter MCU template they've used for every movie since Iron Man.

It's no different from how WB bears a lot of the blame for how the DCEU turned out.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I told y'all that it wasn't about DC specifically. It's about the story. The rise or fall. Now you will see Star Wars have to pick itself up.

Status
Not open for further replies.