• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People want the universe to stay the same, but want to recast 90% of it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
They can retcon the entire universe for all I care, I just want what the MCU have for the DC heroes.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
People want the universe to stay the same, but want to recast 90% of it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I don't think those two groups want the same thing. The people asking for recasts just want the Post Snyder films to be only nominally connected to the Snyderverse and just want to see WW and Aquaman team up with the new Batman. They want a cinematic universe just not necessarily one with the Snyder continuity. The people who want the universe to still clearly acknowledge the Snyder films don't really want recasting, except for Ezra maybe. I just want to see good DC films and maybe another JL movie. I'd prefer recasting Flash and Supes because Ezra is fucking everything up and I want a clear break with Snyder's Superman (besides Cavill not being that great and having no chemistry with Adams).

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They can retcon the entire universe for all I care, I just want what the MCU have for the DC heroes.
I really don't think that's Warner Bros concern anymore. Their movies are making bank when they are good. That's all they care about and I don't think they want the headache of having someone shepherd an entire universe where one misfire can bring down huge chunks.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think that's Warner Bros concern anymore. Their movies are making bank when they are good. That's all they care about and I don't think they want the headache of having someone shepherd an entire universe where one misfire can bring down huge chunks.
They don't have to have every movie leading up to some endgame though, at least not at the moment. They can just have these movies set in the same universe with references to other movies like Shazam did and whenever some director want to use another hero in their movie they'll be able to because it's all set in the same universe. I think having every movie be its own separate thing is very limiting and boring.

Bland mediocrity with tacked on jokes?
No, a big ass universe.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to have every movie leading up to some endgame though, at least not at the moment. They can just have these movies set in the same universe with references to other movies like Shazam did and whenever some director want to use another hero in their movie they'll be able to because it's all set in the same universe. I think having every movie be its own separate thing is very limiting and boring.
If they continue having a good chance of hitting a billion with each film without a connected universe, there isn't a need.

You can't attract top tier talent to come fix your properties and tell them they need to worry about all this other shit on the side. I think the caliber of actor they are going for with The Batman should show they are trying to kick the tires on a Nolan 2.0 trilogy. Something that is commercially successful AND critically acclaimed without needing to be mindful of what Aquaman is doing.

I could be wrong, but I think the days of connected universes is over. Disney did it too damn good and everyone else did it horribly and they all got burnt. They understand the commitment it takes to lay the ground, continually hit that quality, and it's just too high. In order to do that, you basically need a whole separate subsidiary studio.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying WB have to do it to be successful, they can hit a billion on every solo movie, I'm just saying why limit yourself when you have this massive universe to play with. Maybe in the future someone wants to make a proper JL movie, it would feel weird if the cast is different. But I guess we'll see, right now the DCEU is in a good place though with Aquaman, WW, Shazam, BoP, SS and now Black Adam. WB already have a lot in place even if they ignore the Snyder movies.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
So Black Adam releases a few days after Avatar 2. I appreciate the balls on WB. Studios shouldn't just roll over and allow Disney to take over the Christmas slot. It's too valuable.

We shall see how it works out.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
So Black Adam releases a few days after Avatar 2. I appreciate the balls on WB. Studios shouldn't just roll over and allow Disney to take over the Christmas slot. It's too valuable.

We shall see how it works out.
My only frame of reference for avatar in recent years is the flying ride at Disney that's pretty neat, the river one was 😐

I honestly have no idea how the new avatar is gonna be quality or box office wise. Could be huge but when I think about it I'm at a big ?

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I feel like Avatar is remembered more for being a visual spectacle rather than its frankly uninspired plot. If Cameron can't bring the visuals again I don't know if people will still care. Never a good idea to bet against him, but neither is it a good idea to bet against the Rock.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Doesnt the next avatar have huge underwater spectacle? That will be huge draw. At least for me lol.

Star Wars and Jumanji proved their is enough room for two big hits in any case.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You know that was treated as a big deal in the comics right? Diana does not kill casually and not before making every effort to end a situation nonlethally. And plenty of WW creators and fans were not happy with her killing because they knew she would be viewed exactly how casuals view her now: As the Trinity member who is ok with killing.

Regardless my point was that given that the DCEU heroes don't have the same problem with killing as their comic counterparts, and given the Rock's charisma, I was actually wondering if he could end up on the JL. People seem to think he's going to end up being a straight villain but I'm not so sure. The Rock in a JL movie would be a hell of a way to get people interested again.
Hmmm I'm no comics buff and have no allegiance. This sounds awesome. What if he starts the arc of the dceu.

he has his solo movie ending with being recruited by the jl
joins the jl and does jl stuff
Next movie or same, ends up rebelling against the JL because of his opinion on killing and justice, ends up the enemy and fighting the league.

this is so easy lol. easy to have the rock as the centerpiece of your universe

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sur that The Rock secured a good budget for this movie, because Black Adam vs Hawkman in a historical setting is not gonna cost the same as Shazam in Toronto.
Shazam was too low budget, and it's part of the reason why it didn't make bank, it lacked spectacle. Even if I loved the movie and thought it was well made, the actions sequence were kind of a let down.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
"Joker about to hit a billion!"
"Yeah but it's a shit movie"

Man, this shit is dumb as hell to read. I don't know what people are trying to accomplish. If you don't like something then move on.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for the flood of negative DC threads when the billion is official. Still remember the 5 threads posted the Sunday Joker's first weekend results were released.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
They could make black Adam part of the injustice league like they did in forever evil in the comics. That would be a pretty cool event

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
m2bsq8c_d.jpg

#BatfleckForever

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

EDIT - Also a new synopsis for BoP from their artwork challenge which confirms that the whole movie is told via Harley. Which means unreliable narrator.

About Birds of Prey

You ever hear the one about the cop, the songbird, the psycho and the mafia princess? Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is a twisted tale told by Harley herself, as only Harley can tell it. When Gotham's most nefariously narcissistic villain, Roman Sionis, and his zealous right-hand, Zsasz, put a target on a young girl named Cass, the city is turned upside down looking for her. Harley, Huntress, Black Canary and Renee Montoya's paths collide, and the unlikely foursome have no choice but to team up to take Roman down.
In the Warner Bros. Pictures film, Margot Robbie returns as Harley Quinn, alongside Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress; Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary; Rosie Perez Renee Montoya; Chris Messina as Victor Zsasz; and Ewan McGregor as Roman Sionis. Newcomer Ella Jay Basco also stars as Cassandra "Cass" Cain in her feature film debut.
Directed by Cathy Yan from a script by Christina Hodson, the film is based on characters from DC. Robbie also produced, alongside Bryan Unkeless and Sue Kroll. The film's executive producers are Walter Hamada, Galen Vaisman, Geoff Johns, Hans Ritter, and David Ayer.

Last edited:

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how long it took WB to pull the trigger on Black Adam, I wonder if Joker's success gave them the confidence to do it?

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see that the Joker did very well and I wonder if half of the upcoming DC films will end up being R rated. Birds of Prey is definitely going to be R rated and possibly The Suicide Squad as well. Flash is never getting made so that one doesn't matter but maybe they will announce Constantine 2 with Keanu returning.

So many possibilities and Joker will likely give WB the impulse to take more risks with unexplored or somewhat successful DC properties (Constantine made $230.9 million on a $100 million budget in 2005 and would likely do 3x as much right now if Keanu is in it).

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Considering how long it took WB to pull the trigger on Black Adam, I wonder if Joker's success gave them the confidence to do it?
I think it's more like the rock does an insane amount of work and it just had to be scheduled.

I mean Hobbs and Shaw was over the summer, now he has jumanji coming out, jungle cruise and some flick with gal gadot, dude also does television and wwe.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I am VERY curious if they just keep chugging along full stop or if we see a decline now that the thanos arc is over. Wouldn't be surprised with either

Gonna be interesting for sure. Personally I think the MCU has peaked - they'll never be able to recapture that "magic" imo, but we'll see what happens.

I'm a lot more interested to see what DC does after the success of Joker.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
You guys see that marvels gonna do 4 and maybe 5 movies a year starting soon
Four. And that's probably the max. One a quarter.

I am VERY curious if they just keep chugging along full stop or if we see a decline now that the thanos arc is over. Wouldn't be surprised with either

We're probably going get a run of $600-800 films. Down from the high, but with room to build. DC should be in the same spot but slightly higher.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I forgot who said it but someone said that DC could have a higher ceiling for earning than marvel.

I think stuff like joker and aquaman proved that, I mean people were raving that rocket raccoon and guardians made so much money but I think aquaman being a joke for years and being a massively successful movie is the most impressive thing.

if only league was better than it was and structured and built toward a bit more.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
I forgot who said it but someone said that DC could have a higher ceiling for earning than marvel.

I think stuff like joker and aquaman proved that, I mean people were raving that rocket raccoon and guardians made so much money but I think aquaman being a joke for years and being a massively successful movie is the most impressive thing.

if only league was better than it was and structured and built toward a bit more.
They do. Can you imagine a cinematic crisis on infinite earths with everybody from each movie and tv . Shit would make 3 billion

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Eh, not sure I can agree with DC can go higher thing. The top grossing DC film hasnt even made half of the top grossing Marvel film.

But DC doesnt need to chase that. Just make good movies, the money will come, even if it ain't top grossing movie of all time money. And that's fine.

What Marvel accomplished is undeniable and will likely never be replicated, even by them themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.