• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Some of you have high expectations of a Joker movie. The Dark Knight didn't really explore political or social issues either with the Joker. (The two detonators on the two boats had such a cop-out conclusion.) Likewise, The Killing Joke is celebrated in its medium but doesn't explore the Joker beyond that one bad day can drive an otherwise normal person insane.

The Killing Joke's a little more than just that.

But the point is that ever since it was announced Warner and Phillips sold it as an 80's Scorcese movie homage, a "real, adult movie Hollywood doesn't make anymore" and when you do that I'm gonna go with some big expecteations.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
70% bois. Just an hour or two to go until murican movie critics collectively orgasm over Joker losing that certified fresh rating.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
God, will you just stop?
259946417097801729.png
k

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
70% bois. Just an hour or two to go until murican movie critics collectively orgasm over Joker losing that certified fresh rating.

I don't think it matters anymore. Most people already know whether or not they're gonna watch the film, and the opening weekend projections are looking great :)

Also Aquaman wasn't "certified fresh" either, and nobody cared lol

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only real issue about Joker is that the movie is going to be heralded as the greatest movie of all time by the most insufferable people

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it matters anymore. Most people already know whether or not they're gonna watch the film, and the opening weekend projections are looking great :)

Also Aquaman wasn't "certified fresh" either, and nobody cared lol
I'm getting tired of DC films nearly always being controversial for one reason or another. Maybe its a result of marvel and disney making the most bland films imaginable but this is just very tiring.

Also I think another thing that pushed a lot of critics over the edge was Joker wining the venice award. It just massively pissed them off.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lot of directors probably feel the same way. Phoenix probably wouldn't have been caught dead in a comic book movie other than an experiment like this. Don't care as long as they back it up with a good movie.

How so?

I feel like the need to prove that their making "real films" has hurt the dceu. The films that ironically feel more like real films are the ones that just go for it and don't feel like they need to be above the source material.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting tired of DC films nearly always being controversial for one reason or another. Maybe its a result of marvel and disney making the most bland films imaginable but this is just very tiring.

Also I think another thing that pushed a lot of critics over the edge was Joker wining the venice award. It just massively pissed them off.
Best bet is just not to take them seriously. In today's game, most of them are just asshats no more qualified to critique a film than you or me.

Controversial and divisive films are often the best ones over time anyway.
I feel like the need to prove that their making "real films" has hurt the dceu. The films that ironically feel more like real films are the ones that just go for it and don't feel like they need to be above the source material.
There's room for either approach and more.

I'm grateful WB hasn't gone full Disney in uniforming everything. Still being 'director-driven' on occasion.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I get what you're saying. Unfortunately, "safe" is what sells these days. I'm just glad that WB is still taking risks and not just following a bland template. Give me more director-driven films and I'll be a happy fan :)

I'd love a connected universe akin to the animated stuff, but at the same time, it'd never escape the comparisons to the MCU and it'd severely restrict what the filmmaker would be capable of (imo). So I've come to accept that standalone films are just fine, plus maybe the occasional cameo like with Shazam.

Also, regarding the Golden Lion, that's exactly why you shouldn't care what the critics think lol. Regardless of RT or MC score, I doubt any other CBM will ever get close to such a prestigious award again lol. Joker is gonna be great!

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best bet is just not to take them seriously. In today's game, most of them are just asshats no more qualified to critique a film than you or me.

Controversial and divisive films are often the best ones over time anyway.
There's room for either approach and more.

I'm grateful WB hasn't gone full Disney in uniforming everything. Still being 'director-driven' on occasion.

I'll be honest, at this point I'd rather have uniform DC house style if meant the toys can play together without so many issues

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it's not too shocking that American reviewers aren't liking Joker. Now for what the audience thinks is gonna be interesting.

Oct 28, 2017
If Joker is controversial for "promoting incel violence" as drummed up by journalists, I bet Birds of Prey is going to be controversial for "promoting misandrist violence".

DC just can't escape controversy.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That third girl got the eyes. Do it.
I know Lupita and Tessa but not the others... But yeah, Logan has the look.
If Joker is controversial for "promoting incel violence" as drummed up by journalists, I bet Birds of Prey is going to be controversial for "promoting misandrist violence".

DC just can't escape controversy.

And they shouldn't try to.

Remember how even Suicide Squad was edited to exclude Joker's abusive side.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Got a big ol notification from Apple that said

The Real Reason to Skip Joker Is That It's Boring

Lol thanks Slate News

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Birds of Prey reactions always inevitably include the "DCEU is bad" lines. Which is weird because I'm sure at this point, the recent DC movies have been more films people have liked than not. Feels more like a meme at this point that nerds are not letting go of. Just enjoy the movies.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Joker but it was incredibly uncomfortable and draining at times. I suspect a lot of people will see it but it might struggle with repeat viewings.

Don't really want that Joker in Reeves film so happy it is a one off.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
That metacritic score dropped fast now it's 58 and the rotten tomatoes score is 69% but still certified fresh. Anyways I'm still excited to see it. That thread about terrio talking about The Last Jedi is ridiculous. Certain users love calling him out for bvs and JL which isn't right. I'll defend bvs till the end of time and I think his screenplay wasn't bad and the dialogue was great. Him and Snyder made an interesting movie in my opinion. Also you can't blame him for the JL script because that rewritten to no end

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
That metacritic score dropped fast now it's 58 and the rotten tomatoes score is 69% but still certified fresh. Anyways I'm still excited to see it. That thread about terrio talking about The Last Jedi is ridiculous. Certain users love calling him out for bvs and JL which isn't right. I'll defend bvs till the end of time and I think his screenplay wasn't bad and the dialogue was great. Him and Snyder made an interesting movie in my opinion. Also you can't blame him for the JL script because that rewritten to no end
Back to 70% again now.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
Birds of Prey reactions always inevitably include the "DCEU is bad" lines. Which is weird because I'm sure at this point, the recent DC movies have been more films people have liked than not. Feels more like a meme at this point that nerds are not letting go of. Just enjoy the movies.

Snyder shat the bed so hard that, even if they know the sheets have been washed at least 2 times (for Joker it's not even the same bed !), they still think they can smell a stench.

I'm just a bit disappointed that they seem focused on Harley... She has no power, she's crazy, jokes, and can hit things with a bat. That's it for me... And they have all the DC characters at their disposal, waiting for someone to be a little adventurous.
Even planning a new Batman trilogy (and try to go back to safety) looks weak. Maybe it'll change if New Gods is a hit.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
If people are reluctant to see DC films because of Snyder's past involvement, then it says a lot about them.

Oct 25, 2017
Man Superman Returns is way better (and weirder) then I remember it being way back when I saw it in theaters
Production design and cinematography are beautiful.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys guys

I estimated $100m opening weekend. If it reaches that someone ship me some cookies please.

Donald, I know you're watching. We haven't forgotten you. See you soon my friend.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Guys guys

I estimated $100m opening weekend. If it reaches that someone ship me some cookies please.

I told y'all.

I'll go on record as saying the "Shazam breakouts" are overpredictions. In terms of standalone CBMs, a Fandango poll had it behind Dark Phoenix, which I think is going to underperform X-Men Apocalypse.

I think audiences will treat Shazam as a comedy with some action, as opposed to an action film with some comedy. That lowers the audience potential, similar to how Spider-Verse had lowered expectations because it was animated. Looking at the 2017 or 2018 worldwide charts, you have comedies like Pitch Perfect 3, Daddy's Home 2, The Hitman's Bodyguard, Game Night, or Blockers with the top-end at $185 million. Throw a more light-hearted family feel—something that been relegated to animated films these days—and It could surprise a bit. I think that and the DC Universe ties will push it higher, but only into the $400-500 million range at best.

Mark my words. Joker is the breakout, even if it hits that R rating.

Shazam will do fine. Joker is going to go for it. WW84 will be flat or slightly up.

Shazam will be successful, folks just need to temper their expectations, I think.

I'm still calling Joker the breakout this year. At least as much as an R-Rated film can breakout.

Telling you, this is where you should expect the breakout. Shazam will be profitable, but Joker is going to be a banger I think.

Oq0l.gif

Believe in me, who believes in Joker.

I don't think I'll like the film, but I also think it'll do great box office. Worst-case it drops hard next weekend, since it might not be a film folks see over and over again.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
I told y'all.

I don't think I'll like the film, but I also think it'll do great box office. Worst-case it drops hard next weekend, since it might not be a film folks see over and over again.
That seems likely. My friend likened it to disturbing indie horror movies or other films with a similar feeling of dread in them. Excellent but hard to watch or revisit. He brought up hereditary as a point of comparison so I get it lol, I still haven't seen that again since the theatrical release and I loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.