• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Aquaman is a lot of fun, people at the end of the screening I went clapped. Not surprised it's making so much money after watching it.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel looks like a film I've already seen 3-4 times, and Shazam still needs to win me over. I hope Sandberg can nail it.

Oct 25, 2017
Shazam imo is perfectly fine doing Antman numbers. general audiences aren't that hip to the character, but if it turns out good it could really be a nice popcorn flick. Anything over 500 million WW for Shazam is good imo.

Those numbers however wouldn't bode well for Captain Marvel imo. Her movie is going to lead directly into endgame and she's supposed to be a big deal in that.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think Shazam has break out potential

I think the idea of the ultimate wish fulfilment fantasy movie with a teen could speak to everyone

We'll see

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder how people will react to the new joker . it seems like its more of a crime drama than traditional comic book spectacle , not sure how they will sell it to the general audience .

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman helps with the whole the DC universe has a higher potential ceiling than marvel.
Do not doubt my words.

Maybe. There isn't that much hype for them.
What? Fans pick 'Avengers,' 'Captain Marvel' as 2019's most anticipated films in Fandango poll

Note: Joker is #10 on this list. Audiences know it exists and want to see it. Shazam is not there, but it has a good amount of space in-between Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame. It's only real competition is Hellboy, and Shazam has the lead in terms of audience interest. I'm not sure it'll break out, but $500 million feels about right.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I think Shazam has break out potential

I think the idea of the ultimate wish fulfilment fantasy movie with a teen could speak to everyone

We'll see
Shazam has the potential to be the next big thing in CBMs definitely. It's first trailer was charming as hell and got a lot of attention. Small things like it referencing Batman and Superman had people excited.

Captain Marvel - the trailers really killed my excitement for. I'm sure it will make bank though.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I'm guessing Shazam opens to 52 mil and finishes with 535 mil

Captain Marvel is a tough one for me to predict. WW opened to 103 and had crazy legs, but she's way more well known than Carol. However, CM is riding high on that Marvel juice and is a lead up to Avengers... I hope CM opens to like 110, but my gut says it falls short to like 85 and ends up around 650-675.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go on record as saying the "Shazam breakouts" are overpredictions. In terms of standalone CBMs, a Fandango poll had it behind Dark Phoenix, which I think is going to underperform X-Men Apocalypse.

I think audiences will treat Shazam as a comedy with some action, as opposed to an action film with some comedy. That lowers the audience potential, similar to how Spider-Verse had lowered expectations because it was animated. Looking at the 2017 or 2018 worldwide charts, you have comedies like Pitch Perfect 3, Daddy's Home 2, The Hitman's Bodyguard, Game Night, or Blockers with the top-end at $185 million. Throw a more light-hearted family feel—something that been relegated to animated films these days—and It could surprise a bit. I think that and the DC Universe ties will push it higher, but only into the $400-500 million range at best.

Mark my words. Joker is the breakout, even if it hits that R rating.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
People do indeed love the Joker.

Joaquin in costume got a lot of hype on social media, also.

I'm hoping the next Shazam trailer builds up hyper considerably. The first dropped soon after filming had wrapped, so perhaps too soon to really show any action.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Shazam will be the breakout hit. I was right with Aquamane, and I will be right again.

I feel Joker will do okay. Might not be a breakout but it will pull respectable numbers. And that's coming from someone who is actually looking forward too it.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still a bit cold on Shazam. Waiting on that second (first?) trailer.

The one released at SDCC was def. super early. The description of the second trailer sounded like there's spectacle and such.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Shazam's gonna be fucking tight.

But sweet Jesus, I haven't really been paying attention, shocked that Aquaman's gonna cross Wan billion. Always thought it'd be successful and glad to see DC with a win for once, but good God... never saw this coming. Especially with Bumblebee, Mary Poppins, etc. No idea how this happened tbh.

Oct 25, 2017

But sweet Jesus, I haven't really been paying attention, shocked that Aquaman's gonna cross Wan billion. Always thought it'd be successful and glad to see DC with a win for once, but good God... never saw this coming. Especially with Bumblebee, Mary Poppins, etc. No idea how this happened tbh.

It's Wonder Woman all over again, right down to going up against a Disney movie and a Transformers movie.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018

I mean it's kinda what people were saying and no one on this board listens, if you get a good director a DC movie will do well. And Wan is one of the most talented directors and producers out there. He basically made F&F breakout even more than it already did and created the only other successful cinematic universe after MCU. I mean the Conjuring universe has 1.2 billion at box office and that's from horror movies who's combined budget was maybe the same as for Aquaman.

Jenkins was more of an unknown when it comes to box office success but I'm guessing Wonder Woman was the first mainstream appeal film she got to tackle. DC films going forward seems to be in good hands. They're doing what they essentially said before they would do: have a filmmaker first approach. I mean at this stage Suicide Squad by Gunn is gonna be huge simply thanks to the brand association plus great director who can do crowdpleasers.

The only thing DC needs to figure out is what to do with Superman and how they'll want to do a Justice League 2, because it's definitely coming after these numbers from Aquaman. Batman they already have figured out because it's basically what Reeves says. I wouldn't be surprised if Fantastic Beasts gets a longer preproduction given what happened with the last film and Erza Miller films Flash this spring.

One missed opportunity is moving Wonder Woman to 2020. Imagine in 12 months time of you had a combo of Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman and we were just in the final phase of BoP marketing. DCEU would be rehabilitated completely.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It was a mistake to delay flash in favor of fantastic beasts.

I mean I love Harry Potter that was my childhood and all that but theyre gonna delay flash because they lacked confidence and vision.

WB fucks around too much, aquaman and Wonder Woman should push them to be bold in the choices they make. They own a brand that has characters with decades of rich history and they show no appreciation for it, JK Rowling has been phoning it for years and they're going all in on her.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
It was a mistake to delay flash in favor of fantastic beasts.

I mean I love Harry Potter that was my childhood and all that but theyre gonna delay flash because they lacked confidence and vision.

WB fucks around too much, aquaman and Wonder Woman should push them to be bold in the choices they make. They own a brand that has characters with decades of rich history and they show no appreciation for it, JK Rowling has been phoning it for years and they're going all in on her.
Tbf, the first Fantastic Beast put up great numbers and Flash kept looking directors. Also, it's the only other franchise they have. They gonna keep moving forward with it until they make no money off of it!

And saying WB shows DC no appreciation is just laughable lol

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hell people are still angry about Wonder Women's success. I'm glad DC are finding their footing and getting good results. Bolds positive vibes coming into Shazam.
I honestly can't believe that people are trying to change the narrative to it's a bad movie.

Another one would that makes me roll my eyes is that captain marvel is gonna show the world a real female super hero. Like wtf is that? How stupid would it be if started saying wait till cyborg gets a movie to show the world a real black super hero😭. It's so dumb my god.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People angry Aquaman doing bank lol

It's pretty easy to sus out why some peeps here are angry. Big lol at that dude that said WW wasnt' a good female superhero movie. WW is by far one of the best super hero movies of all time male and female. It was so freaking good. AT the end of the day, it just salt on salt really.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Tbf, the first Fantastic Beast put up great numbers and Flash kept looking directors. Also, it's the only other franchise they have. They gonna keep moving forward with it until they make no money off of it!

And saying WB shows DC no appreciation is just laughable lol
Fantastic beasts is sorta junky and I don't really like it, so bias is there lol.

Hand it to marvel that they make some crazy decisions like antman and guardians, appreciation not that they're not thankful they own Superman but not pushing forward with a man of steel 2, they up and basically cancelled cyborg after announcing it and shit like delaying the flash. Studio meddling with squad and JL, appreciation wasn't the right word and it was like they had no confidence in the properties when rocket raccoon and groot are icons.

It's pretty easy to sus out why some peeps here are angry. Big lol at that dude that said WW wasnt' a good female superhero movie. WW is by far one of the best super hero movies of all time male and female. It was so freaking good. AT the end of the day, it just salt on salt really.
I forgot who posted it or what thread but it was about comic book movie romances and what seemed genuine and real and gadot and Trevor nailed it so hard. Most romances seem like they're phoning it in.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't believe that people are trying to change the narrative to it's a bad movie.

Why would that surprise you? Folks do the same to Black Panther, or any number of popular films/games/comics/etc.

I forgot who posted it or what thread but it was about comic book movie romances and what seemed genuine and real and gadot and Trevor nailed it so hard. Most romances seem like they're phoning it in.

That and the rise from No Man's Land are the parts WW really nailed.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why would that surprise you? Folks do the same to Black Panther, or any number of popular films/games/comics/etc.

That and the rise from No Man's Land are the parts WW really nailed.

I just didn't like black panthers 3rd act, parts of it were powerful tho no doubt. Still a good movie.

Michael b Jordan is so great, I wish they keep him around he's to good to just fly off the handle and die. But if he is staying dead, I hope he can be a lantern.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
The shine comes off everything eventually once the hype dies down. What's frustrating is the overexaggerating of flaws in an effort to call everything "overrated" or make claims about what deserves to be successful.

Wonder Woman resonated with people. So did Black Panther. So did Aquaman. We can go round and round in circles to prove whether or not they are "objectively" good, but at the end of the day, that doesn't really matter. People like them, and voted with their coins. That's all that matters.

Oct 25, 2017
If Shazam is good then DC is definitely on a roll here. BoP is supposed to have a modest budget correct? I feel that movie will do it's job. The cast for that movie is good.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Hmmm, just thinking about BoP and how they're going to portray their skills. Since they're human, I wonder if the stunt/vfx team will look at how Batman moved in BvS and JL to match the feel? I want badass fighting and above normal human speed/jumping ala the warehouse scene.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Batman mostly fought with overwhelming force. There's going to be a lot more grace in the portrayal I feel.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Batman mostly fought with overwhelming force. There's going to be a lot more grace in the portrayal I feel.
I mean more in line like how he was able to scutter away when he was hiding in the corner when the cop sees him or him getting away from Doomsday, or doing the drop down pull up in the security cam footage at Lex's facility. For sure the women will have a bit more gracefullness to their fighting style and probably more acrobatics, but I just want to see some impossible moves so it appears we're in the same universe for elite human heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.