• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
We should chill on shit talking those who are gone, no matter how bad they were.

Except Superman. Feel free to dunk on that bum.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have a happy and safe new year, DCEU Era!
Keep the Snyder Cut hope alive!

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
We should chill on shit talking those who are gone, no matter how bad they were.

Except Superman. Feel free to dunk on that bum.
I'm not shit talking him, I find it admirable in a way people get so passionate about things as long as they're not hurting anybody.

I really does hope he comes back, he's like me but I just don't care enough to argue with people about the things I like and they don't lol.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Zatt was a pain in the ass. Always starting fights. Glad he's gone.

Happy New Years DCFam. I wish all you happy fuckers a good year.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because he's probably still reading this thread right now, but we probably shouldn't talk about him anymore unless we want to get banned.

Happy new year DCEUera! Is it only Shazam that's coming out this year?

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's funny because he's probably still reading this thread right now, but we probably shouldn't talk about him anymore unless we want to get banned.

Happy new year DCEUera! Is it only Shazam that's coming out this year?
And The Joker

I'm also thinking that Teen Titans vs Teen Titans Go may be a small theater movie

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
How could you folks forget the biggest most anticipated comic movie event of 2019 , " The kitchen " ( ?!?!) .

Also happy new year to all you beautiful damaged people who are locked here with me .

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you guys and gals need an ear please do not hesitate to drop a pm. i love you all

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Cultists is a bit going too far tbh. Do we call extreme fandoms cults too?

Anyway, we watched the first Iron Man yesterday and it's still pretty good. Humour was subtle and while the cgi is a bit dodgy, RDJ and Paltrow elevate the film. A bit like Momoa and Heard come to think of it. Hope Aquaman 2 will be better than IM2 though lol

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hyped for both Joker and BoP.

Would have been nice to have another in universe film, in addition to Shazam, this year

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm most curious about the Joker film, because its not going to be in the run of the mill CBM that get released these days.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm whatever on the Joker movie. I don't have a story, a trailer, or even a concept to look forward to. The only thing attracting me to the movie is Phoenix because he generally only chooses interesting projects. I hope it's good, but eh, who knows what this movie is going to be...

One last thing, I don't really understand why Snyder is getting heat for basically sharing stuff with his fans on Vero. This Cult of Snyder nonsense sounds like another one of these inane internet proxy wars people make up just to snipe at one another.

Look, bottom line, JL was a god awful movie. It literally sacrificed the integrity of the artists who worked a solid decade to bring a universe to life just to cynically placate the masses who love watching action comedies. Snyder's vision was ravaged and altered. Characters didn't act like themselves. The story was chopped in half. Arcs were rewritten. A bunch of scenes were cut. I could go on and on.

But the real kicker here, and the shit that pisses me off the most, is that Snyder's name is attached to it and it was marketed as his vision when we all damn well know that Snyder wouldn't have done half the shit you see in that movie. There's not even a glimmer of his style in the movie, and yet, there his name lies in the credits. People who don't know what happened will think it's his.

I was seething watching that film in the theaters and I had no part in making it. Imagine how someone like Snyder feels. Dude spent a decade of his life trying to make it and what got pushed out at the end wasn't even his. So fuck it, he's allowed to give his fans a taste of what his plans were before WB fucked it up. He ended up losing more than anyone. And those fans are right to be pissed because the movies with the style they cherished aren't going to be made anymore.

Is it right for people to continue sniping at each other? No. Does Wan deserve any heat? Absolutely not. But people got mad and WB didn't do anything about it. They brought it upon themselves.

Nov 13, 2017
Part of me preemptively resents the Joker movie for 1) not being part of the DCEU 2) being yet another "realistic" movie where it's just clown make up and not the acid side effects.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
What's the difference? I'm not big on comics. Does the acid change his personality?
I mean, kinda. 89 Joker is pretty true to the transformation. However, we still don't really know what he was like pre-acid bath in the comics. Pre-Joker in Killing Joke can't be deemed 100% accurate as Joker himself is the story teller.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'm whatever on the Joker movie. I don't have a story, a trailer, or even a concept to look forward to. The only thing attracting me to the movie is Phoenix because he generally only chooses interesting projects. I hope it's good, but eh, who knows what this movie is going to be...

One last thing, I don't really understand why Snyder is getting heat for basically sharing stuff with his fans on Vero. This Cult of Snyder nonsense sounds like another one of these inane internet proxy wars people make up just to snipe at one another.

Look, bottom line, JL was a god awful movie. It literally sacrificed the integrity of the artists who worked a solid decade to bring a universe to life just to cynically placate the masses who love watching action comedies. Snyder's vision was ravaged and altered. Characters didn't act like themselves. The story was chopped in half. Arcs were rewritten. A bunch of scenes were cut. I could go on and on.

But the real kicker here, and the shit that pisses me off the most, is that Snyder's name is attached to it and it was marketed as his vision when we all damn well know that Snyder wouldn't have done half the shit you see in that movie. There's not even a glimmer of his style in the movie, and yet, there his name lies in the credits. People who don't know what happened will think it's his.

I was seething watching that film in the theaters and I had no part in making it. Imagine how someone like Snyder feels. Dude spent a decade of his life trying to make it and what got pushed out at the end wasn't even his. So fuck it, he's allowed to give his fans a taste of what his plans were before WB fucked it up. He ended up losing more than anyone. And those fans are right to be pissed because the movies with the style they cherished aren't going to be made anymore.

Is it right for people to continue sniping at each other? No. Does Wan deserve any heat? Absolutely not. But people got mad and WB didn't do anything about it. They brought it upon themselves.

There are absolutely terrible Snyder cultists, who are toxic and make DC fans look bad. They terrorise social media like Facebook and Twitter, ignoring the lessons of the characters they claim to be inspired by. It's fine to like those movies, I'm thankful someone did but when people bring them up they're not talking about normal DCEU fans. I don't blame Snyder for this, that said he couldn't done a better job reigning them in like Wan is.

The movie is at least half Snyder's vision, if you look closely you can tell which scenes he did compared to Whedon's (Whedon added dialogue for Superman, for instance*). For example this scene was his

I liked it.

Snyder may not have had the final say in the movie, but is finger prints are all over it. Whedon didn't throw out all his work or footage, he modified the existing footage then added and edited the final product.

Sure his fans are right to be angry that Snyder's vision faded, the DC fans who like this new direction are just as entitled to like the new direction. I'm relieved we didn't have to endure Aquaman relishing ripping the spine out of his enemies in his new movie.

WB did what corporations do and that is look out for the bottom line, a few years ago this worked in Snyder's favour now they don't. They gave him tremendous leeway and authority over the DCEU for years but he pushed himself too far and didn't deliver. That's a burden all directors who do blockbusters must face. When fans get out of line that isn't WB's fault, it's the fans who are acting irresponsibly, they can criticise the new direction without being toxic.

* the rest was Snyder's with Superman attacking the Justice League. Which is one of the best scenes in the movie!

Last edited:

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
This was an EXCELLENT movie my god.

They also balanced the humor too the Marvel movies have become so damn cringe with that awful humor they force in their movies.

Highly enjoyed it.

Black Panther Aquaman and Iron Man 1 are my top three for sure so good

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017

That is an interpretation of a situation that will likely never be clarified. I highly doubt that the film would bear Snyders name in isolation without his permission. My 'take' is that despite being paid a great deal of money he delivered yet another one of his edgy tunnel visions that would have further restricted the growth potential of the DCEU. A lot of people would question whether characters were 'acting like themselves' in the first place. I'm not a massive fan of Aquaman due to appalling script and dialogue but it totally convinced me that there are more exciting directors out there for WB to court.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman has great worldbuilding, but what I enjoyed from MoS and BvS and what was also missing in JL, was the public's reaction to meta humans. You see little news snippets that speculate Atlantis is behind the tidal waves, but that's it. Which is weird since there are people that know Aquaman exists (submarine staff, biker who wants selfie, fishermen's village in JL.) Which makes me wonder if people are aware Aquaman exists or not. If they are, how it is possible he isn't constantly surveilled by secret services or stalked by fangirls. Arthur doesn't even have a secret identity lol

Snyder gave us these scenes which were fascinating. Even something small like vandalizing Superman's statue or interviewing locals in Gotham gave us a brief glimpse behind the eyes of mortals in a world where metahumans exist. It's always weird to me when world ending events happen in movies and there are no reactions except people running on the streets or even responses from the military. In JL, Steppenwolf made a Russian village into his home base and all we see are one fucking family several times. The tank we see in one of the trailers where Cyborg saves a bunch of civilians doesn't even appear in the final cut. Whedon ffs pls

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Aquaman has great worldbuilding, but what I enjoyed from MoS and BvS and what was also missing in JL, was the public's reaction to meta humans. You see little news snippets that speculate Atlantis is behind the tidal waves, but that's it. Which is weird since there are people that know Aquaman exists (submarine staff, biker who wants selfie, fishermen's village in JL.) Which makes me wonder if people are aware Aquaman exists or not. If they are, how it is possible he isn't constantly surveilled by secret services or stalked by fangirls. Arthur doesn't even have a secret identity lol

Snyder gave us these scenes which were fascinating. Even something small like vandalizing Superman's statue or interviewing locals in Gotham gave us a brief glimpse behind the eyes of mortals in a world where metahumans exist. It's always weird to me when world ending events happen in movies and there are no reactions except people running on the streets or even responses from the military. In JL, Steppenwolf made a Russian village into his home base and all we see are one fucking family several times. The tank we see in one of the trailers where Cyborg saves a bunch of civilians doesn't even appear in the final cut. Whedon ffs pls

Snyder did a few things right with the people reacting to super-humans. This is one element he did right in MOS, and flubbed in B vs S. He spent all this time with a montage about the media talking about Superman's existence and how it would impact humanity, only to end with Holly Hunter saying "Superman is." I don't even know what that means. Then it's never mentioned again. The court scene was another missed moment, they do more showing the response to the aftermath since all he does is show up then the room explodes. Both are scenes which could have excellently set up more interesting characterisation and questions with greater depth than the MCU does, until Civil War, but he constantly squanders the opportunity since he's more interested in getting to a fight scene or CGI image. Aquaman spoilers
Wan actually goes through with this with the media montages, as well as the getting them to set up the stinger MCU style.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall the "Superman is" line. I remember the reporter asks "Should there be a Superman?" and she answers with yes. People believe in Superman which is why we see the massive funeral reception. We see military staff hesitant to nuke Superman unknowing he would survive the blast. We see Batman become a changed man with his monologue.

It's a shame we never get to see that in JL. Just Batman crying for some reason.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
She's asked "Must there be a Superman?" under the context of Superman's role in the world. Her response of "there is" speaks to how there isn't an answer to the question, but there's no going back to a time before Superman.

And as much as people mention Superman not speaking during the court scene, it's to reinforce how he feels responsible, voiceless, and weak despite all his amazing powers. By that point we've seen several times how he's been questioned for doing the "right thing," when in the modern world, it's not so black and white. Both as Superman and Clark Kent, blocked by Perry for wanting to write about underprivileged folk getting affected by the Batman's actions.

I don't know if people wanted him to be an egomaniac, walk into that court, interrupt the senator and start yelling about how he's a nice guy and everyone else is wrong but him. Senator didn't even finish her intro by the time it popped off.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
She's asked "Must there be a Superman?" under the context of Superman's role in the world. Her response of "there is" speaks to how there isn't an answer to the question, but there's no going back to a time before Superman.

And as much as people mention Superman not speaking during the court scene, it's to reinforce how he feels responsible, voiceless, and weak despite all his amazing powers. By that point we've seen several times how he's been questioned for doing the "right thing," when in the modern world, it's not so black and white. Both as Superman and Clark Kent, blocked by Perry for wanting to write about underprivileged folk getting affected by the Batman's actions.

I don't know if people wanted him to be an egomaniac, walk into that court, interrupt the senator and start yelling about how he's a nice guy and everyone else is wrong but him. Senator didn't even finish her intro by the time it popped off.

She didn't state her case for why we need him. Given this was a big problem with how the critics were angry over his version of Superman, the least he could do was make a defence and neither of the scenes bothered trying. Snyder could have made a logical argument here but as usual chose not to embellish, if he ever actually thought that deeply about the character.

Emoting is useful in movies, being mute is not (unless they're Jodie Foster) and I don't know why but Snyder was annoyingly obsessed with Superman not talking to anyone about anything. The best we got was a scene with Lois, which we needed more of. Communication is key in a media like movies, and his Superman wasn't interested in explaining himself to anybody. This approach, while making him look like a deity, made him look arrogant, makes Batman's argument stronger as he appears like an angry god who will snap at any moment and gives barely any reassurance not believe the worst in his intentions due to his actions. We're supposed to take too much on trust unearned that he is worthy of our respect while he flies dictators through walls like it aint no thing.

That Perry scene made no sense, and if you're right it was wasted as the analogy was too subtle to connect to his life as Superman. I knew and understood more about his life as Clark then I ever did as Superman because as Superman he's an opaque brick wall who is solely interested in killing first, ask questions later. He's a journalist who would have his jurisdiction on a subject, not a sports writer.How his Clark and Superman lives were written there was very few overlapping mannerisms so it felt like I was watching two seperate characters, unlike in MOS. Clark I could understand and feel empathy for.

The movie did a horrible job if you're right about them trying to make the world a grey area, when both Batman and Superman viewed everything around them in black and white with extreme prejudice. Aside from Wonder Woman, who was written with the implied subtlety to understand nuance like that but aside from fighting Doomsday and hiding from the world was never allowed into the conflict between the two.

That wouldn't be my first choice to how I'd want Superman to address the court, but the fact that what you wrote didn't seem out of place for this Superman speaks volumes for how out of touch Snyder was with his character. He should have been able to defend himself in court like everyone else and get them, and the audience, on his side. Except Synder wasn't interested in the movie defending his choices, he wanted to double down and appeal to his own authority that he was right.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood when people say Jonathan Kent taught his son the wrong lessons. They wanted him to die from a heart attack like in Donner's take, but what would that teach Clark? That his powers can't change the world. By giving him the choice to save his dad, he understands he CAN change the world. This is why he does the opposite in BvS and saves Lois even in a politically volatile country. His actions have consequences like in the real world and there's nothing wrong with that. His father even showed him that in a dream sequence with the two farms. Clark still does heroic deeds he deems is right because he's Superman. Right just isn't always black and white.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
She didn't state her case for why we need him. Given this was a big problem with how the critics were angry over his version of Superman, the least he could do was make a defence and neither of the scenes bothered trying. Snyder could have made a logical argument here but as usual chose not to embellish, if he ever actually thought that deeply about the character.

I guess the difference here is thinking there's an "answer" to the Superman question. For me, the movie presents it as it should: there is no answer, right or wrong. That's not how the world operates. And Superman as a presence is a paradigm shift. That's one of the central themes. Different people coming to terms with this new world. The "they will stumble, they will fall, but in time they will join you in the sun" line is basically the arc they were building towards.

also, the senator especially wouldn't be laying out a case for Superman. Her goals were wanting to force accountability on him either through the US Government or as an asset for them. Her whole deal is trying to manage this new world through that government oversight lens. And that's a troublesome view to have Superman act as a lackey for the US government (which is another refutation of TDKReturns).

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Naw there's def a Cult of Snyder that he feeds, and I get it... tough line to walk between engaging with fans and encouraging them.

But if you follow any other DC channels/medium, you know they will tweet bomb a lot of accounts with #ReleaseTheSnyderCut, they were gonna boycott Aquaman until they learned he has EP credit on the movie, they take everything he says/shows as gospel.

Not saying it's a majority of the fans, but it can be the most vocal and prominent ones at times.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Man I don't get the complaints regarding Aquaman's writing/acting. Both were good for me!

The only complaint I have was it felt quite bloated and the first act suffered for it.

Oh well.

I'd be so down for the elseworld movies to take off. A one off Micheal Bay directed Lobo starring Momoa cause fuck it why not.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Naw there's def a Cult of Snyder that he feeds, and I get it... tough line to walk between engaging with fans and encouraging them.

But if you follow any other DC channels/medium, you know they will tweet bomb a lot of accounts with #ReleaseTheSnyderCut, they were gonna boycott Aquaman until they learned he has EP credit on the movie, they take everything he says/shows as gospel.

Not saying it's a majority of the fans, but it can be the most vocal and prominent ones at times.
I'll take your word for it. I don't really follow twitter or get involved in any type of social media. I just see Snyder's Vero stuff posted on the DCEU subreddit from time to time and all of it seems relatively harmless bts things. Don't know how that could be taken as a call to arms from Snyder, but...it is what it is. People will misconstrue anything to fit their twisted agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.