• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried because Aquaman's success means we're probably not getting something crazy like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis or Flashpoint in the near future.
It's okay. We're getting CoIE on CWTV.

I just hope we're at least getting a connected universe for Worlds of DC. And not just a series of individual films with no cameos and no crossovers whatsoever.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
A Flashpoint adaption which borrows the time travel story to save his mother would make a good flash movie imho.

Have Cyborg be the character who helps Barry get his powers back instead of Thomas Wayne. Mainly facing off against a few rogues and the Reverse Flash revelation at the end.

Nobody wants to see evil Wonder Woman killing Billy Batson.

A simple time travel gone wrong story would be good though. The trouble is having a scenario bad enough for Barry to abandon his mother and fix the timeline.

A true Flashpoint adaptation though? No thanks.
But that's the thing. The scenario has to be huge for Barry to choose not to save his mom. In original story, it was basically the end of the world. Anything smaller than that and no one is going to buy dude abandoning his mother.

Which is the other problem with a Flashpoint story: the scale. Remember, this would be the first Flash movie. Where do you go after you blow the Flash's biggest story? You certainly can't go back to him chasing the Rogues around Central City after that.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Aquaman and Wonder Woman being well liked is exactly why they shouldn't do Flashpoint. You don't follow up those two characters being breakout hits by doing a story wherein they are basically villains. Wonder Woman kills children in the original story. No one wants to see that shit right now.

What Aquaman's success should communicate to WB is that they need to be very particular about who they allow to make movies with these characters, and then once those individuals are selected (or come to them, as was the case with Wan and Ava), get out the way and let them do their work. They don't need to do a big MCU style decade long storyline or lead up movies or whatever. Just let people known for making good movies, make good movies. Dassit.

I say it all the time that the biggest problem with DC is that the powers that be always feel like they have to convince to like their characters. They don't. We already like Superman and Batman and Robin and Wonder Woman. People already liked Aquaman, even with all the jokes. Just keep building on that. Do The Flash, and Green Lantern, and Blue Beetle, and Supergirl, and the New Gods, and whatever else. We already like those characters. Just put the right people in the directing and writing chair and we'll show up.

Yup. And WB gotta stop being so reactive and second guessing those talents.

Even Green Lantern 2011 could've been great. The original script was there. It has a strong director attached. But the script got butchered and production got messy with interference.

The upcoming movies I'm excited for all have talented directors with clout to see their visions through. Or with Bird of Prey, the production side has Robbie and Kroll leading it. Shazam and Flash, despite how great Game Night was, do give me pause on that end.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'm worried because Aquaman's success means we're probably not getting something crazy like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis or Flashpoint in the near future.

Aquaman means we might be getting another sort of crazy, and that the DCEU is course correcting itself properly. When WB flails about is how we got Sucide Squad, they seem to be coming out of this. Thankfully.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Yup. And WB gotta stop being so reactive and second guessing those talents.

Even Green Lantern 2011 could've been great. The original script was there. It has a strong director attached. But the script got butchered and production got messy with interference.

The upcoming movies I'm excited for all have talented directors with clout to see their visions through. Or with Bird of Prey, the production side has Robbie and Kroll leading it. Shazam and Flash, despite how great Game Night was, do give me pause on that end.
With Shazam, Sandberg's enthusiam gives me hope. I really feel like he got to make the movie he wanted to make, and we have yet to get any scenes that the studio isn't confident in it. We need a new trailer though. Comic Con was forever ago.

The Flash doesn't even register because it's so far away.

newgameplus

Oct 26, 2017
Oh there are definitely many reasons not to do it. That's why I called it a terrible idea. Catering to me is usually a great way for companies to lose money.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh man trying to find it, but one of the insiders were teasing a DC announcement for fans before year's end... I mean there's always Monday but Dec was not a great month for insiders.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Let me do this whole Superhero movie ranking thing.

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - It feels so good to be able to just....enjoy a Spider-Man movie again. I haven't flat out enjoyed a Spider-Man movie since I was 15 watching Spider-Man 2. Everything since has either been me hating it (fucking Amazing Spider-Man 2) or not liking it but being like "Well, this is all the Spider-Man I'm getting, so I guess this is fine." Nope. None of that compromising here. This is just a damn good movie with some gorgeous visuals, a soundtrack I'm still listening to, and a touching story about a young man learning to believe in himself.

2. Teen Titans Go to the Movies - It's everything that's great about the TV show turned up to 11 and condensed into a movie. It takes probably the most cynical mission statement in any supehero movie - Robin wants his own movie and doesn't care how he gets it - and uses it to make fun of the whole superhero movie craze, DC Comics, Marvel, its own main characters, other movies, and Stan Lee. Yet, it also delivers a nice little message about friendship. No joke: the moment toward the end when the Teen Titans sing their song again is one of the best damn hero moments of the year. Between this, Spider-Verse, and Lego Batman, I'm all for animated superhero movies that go big and crazy in a way their live action counterparts can't.

3. Aquaman - So I was born about 3 months before Tim Burton's Batman was released, meaning superhero movies have been a pretty constant thing for my entire life. More and more, I'm realizing that I love them most when they're just going as big as possible, aren't the least bit ashamed of what they're about, and you feel like everyone involved is just trying their damnedest to make their vision a reality. That was Aquaman for me. I could go over its flaws and blah blah, but honestly, I don't give a shit about any of that. I loved this fucking movie, even during the parts where I didn't love it so much.

4. Black Panther - Anyone who remembers superhero threads from Gaf knows I had been waiting for this movie for basically the entirety of the MCU's existence. I remember sitting through Comic Con after Comic Con waiting for an announcement and then being disappointed over and over and having to pretend I really gave a shit about Doctor Strange. So imagine my surprise when I finally saw the movie and I only just....liked it. Don't get me wrong, the movie has a lot going for it. Wakanda is fully realized as a setting, the cast is fantastic with Danai Gurira, Winston Duke, and Letitia Wright all being especially great, and the story tackles some heavy themes with grace. However, I also wasn't in love with the action scenes and for all the hype, Michael B Jordan as Killmonger just did nothing for me. I will admit that maybe my general fatigue with the MCU played a part here, but still. Liked, didn't love.

5. Infinity War - Thanos is a wonderful protagonist. That's the main take away from Infinity War, and it's a good thing too, because this movie flat out wouldn't work without Josh Brolin's Thanos to hard carry the whole affair. The movie jumps around way too much, there's too many characters, and it requires at least working background knowledge of/emotional attachment to the MCU to function. Even as someone who has those things, I found myself more overwhelmed than entertained at times. I will give a special shout out to Chris Hemsworth as Thor as well for being another highlight, the battle in Wakanda was fantastic, and the ending was a real gutpunch. I'm hoping Avengers Endgame will restore the feeling from the first Avengers.

6. Deadpool 2 - "Let's do everything the first movie did, but more and not as good." That was basically Deadpool 2. It's good - in fact, every movie on here is good; great year for cape flicks - but after the first Deadpool knocked it out of the park, it sucked that this just could not live up to it. Ryan Reynolds is still perfectly cast, Josh Brolin is 2 for 2 in superhero roles this year, everything with Colossus and NTW is still great (Hi Yukio!), and Zazie Beets as Domino was awesome and helped me know what love feels like (Lawd, she's so fine). All that said, the comedy was overwhleming at times and as a result, the emotional beats just didn't land like they should have. The first was so good at balancing the two and this one just...couldn't.

7. Incredibles 2 - Oh boy. So the original Incredibles is one of my favorite superhero movies. Bar none. This one though? It was fine. The main things holding it back were the weak villain, so-so plot, and a third act that feels so limp in comparison to the first movie and all the potential that was there in this one. The Parr Family, Frozone, and Edna are all still great characters, some of the action bits with Elasti-Girl are fantastic, and the new supers are cool for what little we get of them. Yet....man we waited 10 years for this? For "Man it was cool or whatever?" Come on, Brad Bird.

I haven't seen Venom, and the 35 minutes I saw of Ant-Man and the Wasp while at the barbershop was butt cheeks so I'm good there.

Edit: For added fun, my favorite moment from each.

1. Miles' leap of faith
2. Teen Titans vs Slade's Robot
3. Arthur's ending speech
4. T'Challa confronting his ancestors
5. "Bring me Thanos!"
6. Deadpool reuniting with Vanessa
7. Elasti-Girl rescuing the train.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I forget the list I posted before to know if it clashes with what I'm posting now:

1. Spiderverse
2. Black Panther
3. Aquaman / Infinity War
6. Deadpool 2 / Incredibles 2
6 1/2. Venom
9. Ant-Man and Wasp

Yet to see Teen Titans Go

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman means we might be getting another sort of crazy, and that the DCEU is course correcting itself properly. When WB flails about is how we got Sucide Squad, they seem to be coming out of this. Thankfully.
Aquaman is visually impressive, but at the end of the day, it's like FernGully's Avatar. It borrows elements from King Arthur, Return of the King, Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones and make them into a big budget, effects heavy film. The plot is nothing special. There are no plot twists in the movie.

WB isn't interfering because Wan made a good movie and it tested well with audiences. Same with Patty Jenkins. If they hire new directors whose creative choices don't fit into their plans, they will intervene. Just like Marvel/Disney did with Ant-Man, Rogue One and Solo. Obviously you don't tell Nolan or Cameron what to do. The problem is that distinguished directors don't want to do capeflicks.

They still need to burn through origin films. Even Batman could be considered one at this point. Reeves has made critically acclaimed films, but he's still relatively a newbie when it comes to blockbusters. At some point WB will run out of patience and want results because money is on the line. It's that simple.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Alright ,I loved Aquaman , but its time to talk about 2 things that bothered me :

1) Its a rare case of a movie without subtext. everything is stated plainly : " hey Arthur, i know your conflict is this and that, but you must know that in truth you are so so " . It is ok to trust the audience a bit to figure out the movie themes for themselves .

2) The chemistry between the 2 leads weren't really there . In comparison, Morrison and Kidman - being the experienced veteran actors they are - managed to sell their romance with much less screen time .

Other then that, the movie is a joy . It managed to be goofy and a bit camp without being a self parody, hard line to walk on .It was a visual treat and Wan direction of the action scenes were super confident and dynamic with no annoying shaky cam or quick cutting - to me its always a plus .

Whatever the movie flaws are, its a super solid foundation for a hopefully better written sequel .

Oct 28, 2017
And some were predicting the movie wouldn't even break 500 mil. WW.

But Aquaman is all like:

source.gif

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Atlantis
Xebel (Mera's home)
The Fishermen (Fish people)
The Brine (Crab people)
The Trench (Piranha folks)
The Deserters (All dead, in the desert. Get it!?)
The Lost Kingdom (Not seen or explained. Some guess it might be the Hidden Sea, but that's not much of Kingdom.)

And most folks commented on those underperforming films. That's what people do.

To your points, Iron Man and Captain America were indeed profitable. All of the DCEU film were profitable, but critically panned and this finally caught up with them in Justice League. JL itself was profitable, but its box office total was down from pretty much every other DCEU film and it's budget was entirely too high.

Similar to the first point (lower box office total) are films like Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing 2, both of which were quite profitable. Amazing made less than Spider-Man 3, Amazing 2 made less than Amazing. Bad trend. People tend to forget that Amazing 3 and 4 were actually a thing, the trend shown by Amazing 2 put the kibosh on that and the planned spinoff films. Note: Amazing 2 made $708 million, on around a $255 million budget. Here's stories from before MCU Spider-Man was a thing:

Andrew Garfield Explains Why The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Was a Box Office Disappointment
Should Sony Panic About The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box Office Sales?

Again, $708 million. Profitable. Still roundly seen as a critical and business disappointment.

Similar to the second point is Solo: A Star Wars Story. At its original budget, it would been profitable, but still a bad trend for the SW spinoffs. Like JL, there were reshoots and production changes that pushed the budget way up. And stories about Solo pretty much tell the tale. Like WB/DC, Lucasfilm had to course correct on the spinoffs and everyone's pretty much waiting to see what Episode IX does. Sound familiar? Which is to say, everyone is pretty much held to the same standard.

Yes, worrying about trends and underperformance is what Hollywood and media surrounding Hollywood does. They love to write about underperformance and overperformance. See: stories about Venom and Aquaman, which vastly overperformed expectations. There are very few stories about Ant-Man 2 or last year's X-Men: Apocalypse, which just performed in line with expectations. That's boring. There's no story there. There is a story in Aquaman marching above the rest of the DCEU and many Marvel films to land on the box office Top 10 for 2018. There is a story in Justice League or Solo flopping. Trades go where the stories are, and Aquaman headlines should put the kibosh on the idea that they're arrayed against the DCEU.

Box Office: How 'Aquaman' Became The Hit DC Films Needed and Deserved
'Aquaman' and the World Building of the DC Universe
'Aquaman' Sailing To $52M+ 2nd Weekend; $189M+ Cume Pacing Ahead Of 'Doctor Strange' & 'Guardians Of The Galaxy'

That's why I tell folks to calm down. It's why I didn't worry about the DCEU. It's why I don't worry about Star Wars. The story was bad. Now the story is good. There's no malice in that. It just is.

It's current performance puts a billy in contention and it has no real competition until Glass releases on January 18.

Thanks for the response MHWilliams. I always appreciate your in-depth analysis. See that's why I don't like Hollywood because their so fickle about things. "Oh we didn't make as much money as we should've let's cancel everything going forward and reboot" like for ams 1 and 2 I understand because 2 showed a decline most likely because the movie was poorly received. For wb's case I'm glad their not scrapping everything and going the xmen route and soft rebooting it in a sense because lets be honest as much as I would've loved to see snyder's plan come to completion financially the movies would've made less and less especially if they weren't critical hits so the soft reboot is the best option and aquaman just showed make a decent film and that will lead to big box office total. I just wish wb aren't going to reboot cavill and affleck because I'm sure if you soft reboot their next solo film they would be very successful

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Atlantis
Xebel (Mera's home)
The Fishermen (Fish people)
The Brine (Crab people)
The Trench (Piranha folks)
The Deserters (All dead, in the desert. Get it!?)
The Lost Kingdom (Not seen or explained. Some guess it might be the Hidden Sea, but that's not much of Kingdom.)
Yeah, before I forget to respond to this. Thanks for the reply! :)

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Some thought it would get dominated by Marry poppins 🤣
To be fair, most thought it would be dominated by Mary Poppins

In hindsight, it made little sense

But I will be honest and say never expected Aquaman to do this.

My best wishes for it were to cross 500 million, a safe amount to see life left in DCEU

Not only is there life, but I really do think helps destroy this narrative that general audiences apparently hold a grudge in connected universes

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I never understood the hype for marry poppins, it was old when I was a kid and it was never replayed endlessly on Disney channel or anything.

People made it out to be some Star Wars level movie and it was never that.

People love DC characters, suicide squad as bad as that was did like $750 million with terrible word of mouth and no china box office, it also made Harley quinn a icon.

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I never understood the hype for marry poppins, it was old when I was a kid and it was never replayed endlessly on Disney channel or anything.

People made it out to be some Star Wars level movie and it was never that.
I'm generally a fan of Disney/Marvel/Star Wars but I didn't see what other people were seeing with Mary Poppins Returns either box-office wise
Moving on, I'm already in love with Black Canary 😍

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I'm generally a fan of Disney/Marvel/Star Wars but I didn't see what other people were seeing with Mary Poppins Returns either box-office wise

She's going to be great! Hoping they show the costumes before principal photography begins, can't imagine this movie being filmed 99% in a soundstage like with Justice League. In fact I don't expect that much CGI with this film.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York

The Greatest Showman had an AMAZING run last year.
It's Disney.
It comes with a household brand (Which we learned I guess isn't true)
And it's major competition were sequels in two franchises that have less than stellar critical reception.

I kind of got it.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've loved jurnee since FNL and coincidentally that's where I really knew MBJ would be a huge ass star. Yeah the wire was great but sometimes you don't know how kid actors are gonna go.

I'll say it, DC Has been killing it with the female characters, Wonder Woman, Harley, mera, I like Lois just because it's Amy Adams lol. Birds of prey really is gonna be huge, I hope they can get katana in there as I really liked her design and sword from squad.

The Greatest Showman had an AMAZING run last year.
It's Disney.
It comes with a household brand (Which we learned I guess isn't true)
And it's major competition were sequels in two franchises that have less than stellar critical reception.

I kind of got it.
I understand that but I think it should've been a soft reboot and not have had returns in the title. How many people have seen the original? You gotta actively search it out as far as I know it's not up on netflix/amazon prime/ Hulu or whatever else. It's a nostalgia play for a 50 year old movie they haven't mad accessible.

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I've loved jurnee since FNL and coincidentally that's where I really knew MBJ would be a huge ass star. Yeah the wire was great but sometimes you don't know how kid actors are gonna go.

I'll say it, DC Aja's been killing it with the female characters, Wonder Woman, Harley, mera, I like Lois just because it's Amy Adams lol. Birds of prey really is gonna be huge, I hope they can get katana in there as I really liked her design and sword from squad.
Has Karen Fukuhara given any indication that she will be in BoP? Would love to see her back for sure

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Dude, what... the.. fuck??? How do these people come up with the tech and methods to make this stuff real?!?!? Good lord James, you are a mad man! Also, I can't believe that was a stunt woman that actually did that flip when Mera was blasted through the roof, fuck.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Dude, what... the.. fuck??? How do these people come up with the tech and methods to make this stuff real?!?!? Good lord James, you are a mad man! Also, I can't believe that was a stunt woman that actually did that flip when Mera was blasted through the roof, fuck.

You know, when Ben affleck said doing these big CG block busters was really different than his usual film making people were so dismissive about it. Like that video is insane and that's just one small scene, some directors absolutely deserve to be hailed as visionaries.

That's why I don't believe in saying somebody like Michael bay is a hack, because he does these big grand scenes and not for nothing it can be a real spectacle.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Bay is a hack because he uses military contracts as a reason for huge explosions in his movies. He doesn't know shit about fight choreography, stuntwork or CGI.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Im really hoping for New Gods news soon.

Another visual spectacle like Aquaman please 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾
I just want to see what Ava does with it. Most would attempt to tone things down a bit, but after A Wrinkle in Time and how that looked, I think Ava might actually try to go full-Kirby with it.

I mean, look at these fuckers:

Kirby was on some other shit when he made these guys, man.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Michal Bay is not a hack, he got a very unique signature style , you know it when you watch a bay piece . He is an auteur .
The problem is thgat his signature style is pure headache and noise, which make him an auteur of crap , but his very own style of crap only he can crap out .

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The Rock is one of my favourite films. It's the characters and writing that sell it. Not the action scenes.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That was good

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Bay is a hack because he uses military contracts as a reason for huge explosions in his movies. He doesn't know shit about fight choreography, stuntwork or CGI.
The Rock is one of my favourite films. It's the characters and writing that sell it. Not the action scenes.

Bad Boy 2 is premier action filmmaking. The attack scene in Pearl Harbor is amazingly shot. You make the same mistake that others make about Snyder; films will poor execution (the Transformers series) don't paper over the directorial talent. In fact, Bay and Snyder are similar directors.

Like, this is all practical filmmaking.

Pearl Harbor? A lot of that was practical.

In fact, he's close in working style to another controversial director... Zack Synder. Bay and Snyder both got their start at Propaganda Films, the production company founded in part by David Fincher. Both started in the medium of commercial and music video. Hell, they went to school together.

You also went to school with Transformers director Michael Bay, albeit back in the United States — are you both close?

I knew him very well. We don't hang out [any more], but when I see him it's like a reunion. He's the same as he was back then. He was crazy in college — but in a good way.

Tarsem Singh also went to school with the pair.
I think Michael Bay is as much as an auteur as my friends [David] Fincher and Spike [Jonze]. I happen to adore Fincher, Spike, and Michael's films, who's a classmate, but he's as much an auteur. You can see him in his work. When I say I look at these things, I don't just say, "What is the story? Nah, let's just do it visually." It needs to be in my DNA. I grew up on television and film, the language of it I could not understand. When I look at in retrospect, it had a big impact on me and how I see things visually.

Early on when you were in college with Zack and Michael, were your films very visual?

Actually, yes! [Laughs] When we were in school, our projects were pretty similar to what we're doing now.

Bay's got problems, sure, but he's not a hack. Even this guy can acknowledge that:

Nov 13, 2017
Ava is a huge Jack Kirby fan. She even posted his work before any of the New Gods stuff started leaking.

I really hope the Disney execs were behind Wrinkle being a mess. The visuals were great in that film. I need her to bring Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Granny Goodness and Darkseid to the big screen at LAST.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Bay and Snyder aren't in any way similar, at least not anymore. It's pretty disingenuous to be making that comparison. That or you haven't been paying attention to Snyder's films. He's come a long way since 300 and Dawn of the Dead.

I haven't seen Pain and Gain yet, but Bay hasn't really pushed himself since The Island and even that wasn't much of a departure from he's been.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Bay and Snyder aren't in any way similar, at least not anymore. It's pretty disingenuous to be making that comparison.
Nope. Made a very specific comparison of both as visual directors in working style. That they differ in stylistic ways, is immaterial to the point made. The specificity of words is key, not the emotional umbrage you may feel from the mere hint of the comparison.

Both men are very technical visual directors, leaning heavily on shot composition and extensive color correction to establish mood and tone. They also lean primarily on practical effects and physical shooting whenever possible. They sometimes miss the storytelling logic in order to get the best image to convey the intended mood. (Note, Bay is actually better at this, because the mood he is intending to convey is generally clearly read by his audiences. Snyder occasionally wants to convey one thing, and the audience reads another.)

Is Zack Snyder a Michael Bay clone? No, considering you can easily tell a Bay film is a Bay film, and a Snyder film is a Snyder film. Do they both have a driving ethos than tends to make for visually compelling movies whose narrative storytelling is somewhat muddled? Yes. That Snyder makes attempts at heady subtext doesn't change the overall technical aspects of their filmmaking.

I haven't seen Pain and Gain yet

Then you're probably not up to talk about Bay pushing himself, given a lack of context, having not seen Pain & Gain or 13 Hours. And the jump in craft from Bad Boys to The Island is a portfolio that laid the groundwork for action directors worldwide. Here, enjoy the essay that comes in the Criterion Collection release of Armageddon. It's worth a read.

The Transformers films are so bad that I only watched two of them, period. Michael Bay is still a worthwhile filmmaker, even if I feel his directorial style has problems, and his fingerprint on Hollywood cannot be denied. I defend Bay for the same reason I defend Snyder: yes, he's made bad films, but his craft is there.

If you want to dive more into Bay, Patrick Willems did a whole two videos on his oeuvre. (Video 1 and Video 2)

Last edited:

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Nah, I'm good on Bay. I've seen enough of his movies to arrive to an opinion without having it force fed upon me by other people. I haven't seen any of his recent flicks because I've soured on action movies as a whole. I've never denied Bay's technique, he just hasn't accomplished anything worthwhile in my mind while Snyder has. The look and feel of Snyder's movies are distinct. If all you want to do is compare technique, go ahead. Every single director making movies in Hollywood has probably fooled around with color correction and shot composition. You can say the same shit about Snyder as you can about Refn. I don't think there's anything to gleam from that.

I'm more concerned with the artistic ambitions and I don't see anything in Bay's filmography that tells me he has it in him to create something like Sucker Punch or BvS. That's vital. It's important and not something to just gloss over like it doesn't mean anything.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm good on Bay. I've seen enough of his movies to arrive to an opinion without having it force fed upon me by other people. I haven't seen any of his recent flicks because I've soured on action movies as a whole. I've never denied Bay's technique, he just hasn't accomplished anything worthwhile in my mind while Snyder has. The look and feel of Snyder's movies are distinct. If all you want to do is compare technique, go ahead. Every single director making movies in Hollywood has probably fooled around with color correction and shot composition. You can say the same shit about Snyder as you can about Refn. I don't think there's anything to gleam from that.

I'm more concerned with the artistic ambitions and I don't see anything in Bay's filmography that tells me he has it in him to create something like Sucker Punch or BvS. That's vital. It's important and not something to just gloss over like it doesn't mean anything.

Fair enough. I'd say the latter two films I mentioned are his more "personal" films in terms of composition; Pain & Gain was literally the leverage he offered in order to make TF4. Bay's artistic ambitions are generally lower than Snyder's, but I'd also say he actually reaches his aims, whereas Snyder takes a shot, but misses more. It's the difference between a basketball player who shoots twos with a 90 percent completion rate, or one that shoots threes with a 40 percent completion rate.

I absolutely understand why you prize Snyder's artistic aims, though.

And the difference in Refn, is he's mostly not an action director, while Bay and Snyder definitely are. It'll be interesting to see his next film, The Avenging Silence, as that's his shot at a bigger action film.

Status
Not open for further replies.