• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing about this a lot. What is the context of this scene? From what everyone's talking about, I'm imagining a jazz band or something made up of sea creatures?
It has no contex or reason.. it is just is what it is. and that a part of the movie charm , it goes as silly and crazy as it feels like , completely unapologeticly .

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
After Aquaman I see the DCEU as a moderate success.

The true value of the MCU wasn't in having a big success like The Avengers, it was in getting people to show up for characters like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange.

Being able to make a successful Aquaman movie is a true test of the DCEU machine. It wasn't Green Lantern, and it easily could have been. DC were able to make a movie that wasn't leaning on a character that already had proven mainstream success (like Batman or Wonder Woman).

They had to sacrifice a Justice League movie to get there but a successful Aquaman is an accomplishment.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Like a war drum kind of thing?
Yeah, kinda of. In hindsight, they probably should've saved it for the sequel. He's Topo, Aquaman's pet in the comics. Yet, it's kind of weird for this random octopus to know how to play the drums, when no other sea life appears to have enough sentient thoughts or skills to do anything like that in the rest of the movie, and Aquaman hasn't met him before or used his mind meld skills on it. But oh well, cause "COMICS!!!!"

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, kinda of. In hindsight, they probably should've saved it for the sequel. He's Topo, Aquaman's pet in the comics. Yet, it's kind of weird for this random octopus to know how to play the drums, when no other sea life appears to have enough sentient thoughts or skills to do anything like that in the rest of the movie, and Aquaman hasn't met him before or used his mind meld skills on it. But oh well, cause "COMICS!!!!"
I mean, if he's just hitting a big drum in rhythm, that doesn't seem weird to me (at least in a comic book sense), but if he's like busting out a solo on a big drum kit, then yeah, that's kind of insane.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I mean, if he's just hitting a big drum in rhythm, that doesn't seem weird to me (at least in a comic book sense), but if he's like busting out a solo on a big drum kit, then yeah, that's kind of insane.
It's kind of a mix of both, but again, it's literally 3-5 seconds? It's just an Easter Egg more than anything. The fact we're talking about this much is kinda funny in the grand scheme of things.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all talking way too much about that scene lol. There was a big party going on and there was an octopus playing drums. That's it!

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
It's an easter egg. Wan said earlier drafts had Toppo in a bigger role but as it changed he became less important, and Wan just wanted to have him in the film still. All it is.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Watching Aquaman, the one thing that came to mind was that I felt the complaints people had were both valid and a bit overblown. The humor doesn't work, but it's not the cringe inducing horror show I was led to believe and it even got a few chuckles. There was a lot going on, but much of that was just window dressing and backstory with the actual plot being pretty easy to follow. Heard and Momoa aren't exactly Gadot and Pine but they work and a few of their scenes were pretty cute.

All in all, this really was an Aquaman comic book brought to life. It didn't feel like it had to wink and nudge at the audience over the sillier aspects, it didn't want to pretend to be more than it was. It was a crazy adventure movie starring a guy who talks to fish and as far as the film was concerned, you were either gonna roll with that or nah. Momoa is having the time of his life, Patrick Wilson is actually kind of perfect as the Ocean Master, and a breh actually had some feels toward the end when

Atlanna and Thomas reunite.

Also, while I'm in the spoiler box...

"My parents made me what I am. A son of the land. A king of the seas. I am the protector of the deep. I am.....Aquaman."

That kind of unapologetically corny superhero speechifying is my favorite shit.

I watched this and Spider-Verse back to back and while the latter is the stronger movie, I walked out loving both. This is the most excited I've been about superhero movies in a looooooooooooooooong time. If Wan comes back for the sequel with a stronger script, we'll get something really special.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That line and jumping out of the water

Njfqb3m.gif

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah there were a couple of laughs in my theater too.

It was actually an interesting viewing experience. For the most part, everyone was dead silent except for some of the comedy. I thought that meant the people were't feeling it, and yet it got loud applause at the end and pretty much everyone stayed for the end credits. Packed house too.

That line and jumping out of the water

Njfqb3m.gif

Chills breh. I love that kind of stuff. Have since the original Spider-Man.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Since were dropping Aquaman spoilers in the boxes, a small moment I really liked was,

Arthur telling Orm they'd talk once things are settled. In the end, Orm is his little brother, and as Arthur said earlier, he's always wanted to meet him. He just happened to find Orm at his most dickish.

Orm likely doesn't have a redemptive arc going forward, not even a Loki type of thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing them bond as brothers.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this needs spoilers but let me just ask, who the fuck carries around an OG Pinnochio book? Idk how that entire joke didn't get cut

Also I really need to see that trench sequence again. Fucking amazing in IMAX. Why isn't every single super hero movie in IMAX like Aquaman? It was given the increase in aspect ratio size during post. Is this not feasible for other cgi heavy movies like Avengers?

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone talking about that damn octopus but nobody giving respect the jellyfish dress . They were the real heroes .

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I don't like about the Trench scene is that it's almost too good.

I was hoping to see the Trench King as the final boss. Kind of like the Balrog in Fellowship of the Ring.

Also when Arthur summons the Trench and he's riding a seahorse and Orm is riding his thing, meeting each other head on like a jousting duel. That sequence was so cheesy I love it lol

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Quick question

We didn't see all seven kingdoms, right? I know Orm only needed the four because the other three were defunct. #5 was the Trench, and #6 was the kingdom of the deserters in the desert. So where was seven?

Everyone talking about that damn octopus but nobody giving respect the jellyfish dress . They were the real heroes .
Those jellyfish were putting in work.

I have no idea how that dress actually works and I don't care.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question

We didn't see all seven kingdoms, right? I know Orm only needed the four because the other three were defunct. #5 was the Trench, and #6 was the kingdom of the deserters in the desert. So where was seven?
I believe it's the Lost Kingdom. Orm was talking about it in the beginning. Apparently no one lives there anymore except dinosaurs and a big ass kraken.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Ah okay. I figured that, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something or maybe they were holding something back for the sequel.

Another little moment I liked

Arthur: Okay. I'm king. Now what?

Mera: Be their king.

Arthur: .......This is gonna be fun.

The delivery on the line was perfect. Arthur knows he's fucked now. lol

luca

Oct 25, 2017
About year end cape flicks I think mine is something like this:

1. Black Panther
2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
3. Avengers: Infinity War
4. Aquaman
5. Deadpool 2
6. Ant-Man and the Wasp
7. Venom

Only movie I disliked was Venom. It was so bad and not entertaining to me. Ant-Man and the Wasp was a big disapointment, but it had its moments. I really liked Aquaman a lot. Like a lot.

Anyway, can someone list the seven kingdoms in Aquaman?

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My ranking of this year's cape movies:

Spiderverse
Black Panther
Aquaman
Infinity War
Venom

I never saw Antman and Wasp or Deadpool 2. I legitimately enjoyed all of the ones I saw, even Venom, which was so bad it was great.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Why does it seem DC is held to a higher standard than everyone else? So what JL wasn't successful and underperformed. I guarantee you the next time they make attempt a followup and it's good then it will make a billion easy. All movie studios have made superhero films that have underperformed. Like look at the budgets for the early mcu films besides iron man and avengers you can't tell me they made a profit on hulk thor 1 and captain america 1(obviously these are good films and marvel studios got to keep on making films which paid off with the first avengers still though movies with budgets close 200 million need to make more than 450 million to be considered profitable nowadays). Xmen last stand underperformed because it was bad and first class suffered for it. Batman and Robin underperformed big time compared to forever which was made because returns underperformed, superman returns underperformed, batman begins underperformed bc of b&r and then bam made over a billion with the dark knight because both were great films. Hell people say man of steel underperformed because it didn't reach a billion.
So basically to some up my long rant is that people like these characters and just want good movies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i'm guessing we're gonna keep getting that JL topic everytime a new DC movie outgorsses JL. I swear Ive seen that topic before.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw Aquaman and loved the expletive out of that movie. Wan really knew what he was doing.

Plus:

- Fight choreography was pretty good
- Cinematography was beautiful specially during those wide/long shots (The Trench sequence was a standout)
- Jason Momoa: I had my reservations about him and thought he would be the weakest link, but he turned out to totally own the role like Gal did with Wonder Woman
- Art direction: Everything underwater was fantastic: colorful, creature design, Aquaman's classic outfit, abilities display, all those neons...went full on comicbook.
- Temuera Morrison and Nicole Kidman were charming as a couple.
- That third act was crazy, people at my showing where going crazy over those fights.
- Patrick Wilson hamming it up like he should.

Negatives:

- Soundtrack could've been better, specially during some scenes where it deserved some big orchestral piece. Sometimes it felt everything was too quiet.
- The humor was hit or miss for me.
- The mid credits scene...unless I'm missing some context/easter eggs/reference, it wasn't that needed, I think. They already established what it's coming next for Aquaman during the movie.

All in all Aquaman is up there with WW and Mos

Can't wait to buy the artbook

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Can I get excited about Aquaman hitting a billi?

Was going to rewatch it, but I'll end up watching Spiderverse for a second time next week.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Really? I don't follow movies much but they normally gross 200mil+ weeks after it's out? I guess it doesn't have much competition in US until Glass

From it's current gross, it should have another 100-120 million in the States, maybe 10-20 in China. Still has to open in Japan.

And then just all the other markets doing business.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
They made a Justice League movie?

And continuing to see Aquaman post great numbers reminds me of the dudes who said Momoa should've taken a supporting role in GotG instead of the lead in a DC movie.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, can someone list the seven kingdoms in Aquaman?
Atlantis
Xebel (Mera's home)
The Fishermen (Fish people)
The Brine (Crab people)
The Trench (Piranha folks)
The Deserters (All dead, in the desert. Get it!?)
The Lost Kingdom (Not seen or explained. Some guess it might be the Hidden Sea, but that's not much of Kingdom.)

Why does it seem DC is held to a higher standard than everyone else? So what JL wasn't successful and underperformed. I guarantee you the next time they make attempt a followup and it's good then it will make a billion easy. All movie studios have made superhero films that have underperformed. Like look at the budgets for the early mcu films besides iron man and avengers you can't tell me they made a profit on hulk thor 1 and captain america 1(obviously these are good films and marvel studios got to keep on making films which paid off with the first avengers still though movies with budgets close 200 million need to make more than 450 million to be considered profitable nowadays). Xmen last stand underperformed because it was bad and first class suffered for it. Batman and Robin underperformed big time compared to forever which was made because returns underperformed, superman returns underperformed, batman begins underperformed bc of b&r and then bam made over a billion with the dark knight because both were great films. Hell people say man of steel underperformed because it didn't reach a billion.

And most folks commented on those underperforming films. That's what people do.

To your points, Iron Man and Captain America were indeed profitable. All of the DCEU film were profitable, but critically panned and this finally caught up with them in Justice League. JL itself was profitable, but its box office total was down from pretty much every other DCEU film and it's budget was entirely too high.

Similar to the first point (lower box office total) are films like Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing 2, both of which were quite profitable. Amazing made less than Spider-Man 3, Amazing 2 made less than Amazing. Bad trend. People tend to forget that Amazing 3 and 4 were actually a thing, the trend shown by Amazing 2 put the kibosh on that and the planned spinoff films. Note: Amazing 2 made $708 million, on around a $255 million budget. Here's stories from before MCU Spider-Man was a thing:

Andrew Garfield Explains Why The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Was a Box Office Disappointment
Should Sony Panic About The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box Office Sales?

Again, $708 million. Profitable. Still roundly seen as a critical and business disappointment.

Similar to the second point is Solo: A Star Wars Story. At its original budget, it would been profitable, but still a bad trend for the SW spinoffs. Like JL, there were reshoots and production changes that pushed the budget way up. And stories about Solo pretty much tell the tale. Like WB/DC, Lucasfilm had to course correct on the spinoffs and everyone's pretty much waiting to see what Episode IX does. Sound familiar? Which is to say, everyone is pretty much held to the same standard.

Yes, worrying about trends and underperformance is what Hollywood and media surrounding Hollywood does. They love to write about underperformance and overperformance. See: stories about Venom and Aquaman, which vastly overperformed expectations. There are very few stories about Ant-Man 2 or last year's X-Men: Apocalypse, which just performed in line with expectations. That's boring. There's no story there. There is a story in Aquaman marching above the rest of the DCEU and many Marvel films to land on the box office Top 10 for 2018. There is a story in Justice League or Solo flopping. Trades go where the stories are, and Aquaman headlines should put the kibosh on the idea that they're arrayed against the DCEU.

Box Office: How 'Aquaman' Became The Hit DC Films Needed and Deserved
'Aquaman' and the World Building of the DC Universe
'Aquaman' Sailing To $52M+ 2nd Weekend; $189M+ Cume Pacing Ahead Of 'Doctor Strange' & 'Guardians Of The Galaxy'

That's why I tell folks to calm down. It's why I didn't worry about the DCEU. It's why I don't worry about Star Wars. The story was bad. Now the story is good. There's no malice in that. It just is.

It's at 666mil right now. I don't see how it could reach 1bil...

It's current performance puts a billy in contention and it has no real competition until Glass releases on January 18.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried because Aquaman's success means we're probably not getting something crazy like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis or Flashpoint in the near future.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm worried because Aquaman's success means we're probably not getting something crazy like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis or Flashpoint in the near future.

I'm fine with that.

Honestly, the immediate strategy for DC should be expanding their roster of characters. Like clearly was a demand for Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I mean I can only imagine what a great Green Lantern film would do for them. Get all the Superfriends on the big screen.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally hope Aquamans success means we get more Supes. Synder's gone and Aquaman brings about some new goodwill. If SHazam hit it out of the park then we good too. Im hoping we also hear more from Flash movie too.

newgameplus

Oct 26, 2017
They kinda have all the pieces to earnestly do Flashpoint if they really wanted to though. Wonder Woman and Aquaman are well liked. Affleck wouldn't play Batman anyway. Margot Robbie/Yo-Yo Girl cameo would be hype. They could really keep or recast whoever they wanted.

It would obviously be kinda weird to jump straight there, but with the TV show Flash's modern origin is more well known. Also, Flashpoint acutally is a Mom/Reverse Flash story anyways. It's such a simultaneously wonderful and terrible idea. I want it; please give it to me.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Aquaman and Wonder Woman being well liked is exactly why they shouldn't do Flashpoint. You don't follow up those two characters being breakout hits by doing a story wherein they are basically villains. Wonder Woman kills children in the original story. No one wants to see that shit right now.

What Aquaman's success should communicate to WB is that they need to be very particular about who they allow to make movies with these characters, and then once those individuals are selected (or come to them, as was the case with Wan and Ava), get out the way and let them do their work. They don't need to do a big MCU style decade long storyline or lead up movies or whatever. Just let people known for making good movies, make good movies. Dassit.

I say it all the time that the biggest problem with DC is that the powers that be always feel like they have to convince to like their characters. They don't. We already like Superman and Batman and Robin and Wonder Woman. People already liked Aquaman, even with all the jokes. Just keep building on that. Do The Flash, and Green Lantern, and Blue Beetle, and Supergirl, and the New Gods, and whatever else. We already like those characters. Just put the right people in the directing and writing chair and we'll show up.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
A Flashpoint adaption which borrows the time travel story to save his mother would make a good flash movie imho.

Have Cyborg be the character who helps Barry get his powers back instead of Thomas Wayne. Mainly facing off against a few rogues and the Reverse Flash revelation at the end.

Nobody wants to see evil Wonder Woman killing Billy Batson.

A simple time travel gone wrong story would be good though. The trouble is having a scenario bad enough for Barry to abandon his mother and fix the timeline.

A true Flashpoint adaptation though? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.