• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Thats fucking bullshit.

Batman is fucking hopeful, let's not forget BTAS, the best animated comic book show ever made.

Fuck Batman being a dick that has somehow become a trend. Seriously, fuck Miller's potrayal of Batman.

He was a dick in BTAS and a bigger dick in the continuation, JL animated series.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
There's a scene from the New 52 Batman and Robin* series where Batman takes Robin into (I believe) the sewers under Crime Alley on the anniversary of his parents' death. They make a little memorial sail boat and send it adrift. Bruce turns to Damian and says that from now on, instead of using this day to mourn his parents' death, he wants to start celebrating their life.

Bruce deciding to move on from his parents tragedy so that he can be a better hero and a better father is the kind of thing I want more of in my Batman stories. That modern stories are so in love with the idea that Bruce is this permanently scarred figure who can never move past his pain or find a reason to be Batman beyond vengence is what makes the character so exhausting. Bruce Wayne shouldn't just be a "mask," and the angry, violent, vengeful Batman shouldn't be anyone's "true face."

*Also, not for nothing, but New 52 Batman and Robin was great.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
There's a scene from the New 52 Batman and Robin* series where Batman takes Robin into (I believe) the sewers under Crime Alley on the anniversary of his parents' death. They make a little memorial sail boat and send it adrift. Bruce turns to Damian and says that from now on, instead of using this day to mourn his parents' death, he wants to start celebrating their life.

Bruce deciding to move on from his parents tragedy so that he can be a better hero and a better father is the kind of thing I want more of in my Batman stories. That modern stories are so in love with the idea that Bruce is this permanently scarred figure who can never move past his pain or find a reason to be Batman beyond vengence is what makes the character so exhausting. Bruce Wayne shouldn't just be a "mask," and the angry, violent, vengeful Batman shouldn't be anyone's "true face."

How do we get this nuanced take in film though? Comics have had the ability to grow over a LONG period of time, the character has grown. Wouldn't we first need to set up a Batman, then go through his typical dark broodyness, and then have him come to this reaslization?

Nah man, I think there is a different in being a dick. Recent iterations of the character in movies and games are just insufferable.

Also, WB doesn't like Superman.

THAT'S A LOW BLOW

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It was a long time ago, but did Batman ever got a defining, inspiring character arc in TAS? Ignoring Mask of the Phantasm. I only remember he beat up thugs but not too violently because it was supposed to be for kids.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
How do we get this nuanced take in film though? Comics have had the ability to grow over a LONG period of time, the character has grown. Wouldn't we first need to set up a Batman, then go through his typical dark broodyness, and then have him come to this reaslization?

THAT'S A LOW BLOW
I think it's more than possible in a movie. Hell, that's Bruce's character arc in Lego Batman: learning to move past the pain of losing his parents and accept Dick, Barbara, and Alfred (and even the Joker) into his heart and as part of his mission as family.

The movie even takes him to task for acting like a brooding asshole. When he gets trapped in the Phantom Zone, the entity there flat out says he's a bad guy. The Justice League, who thinks are his friends, don't even want to hang out with him. Alfred is constantly his ass about being too caught up in himself and not connecting with others. The entire movie makes the case that Batman is at his best when he's more than just an angry loner vigilante.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I think for me personally I really liked Bales potrayal of Bruce Wayne. Easily the best in love action. His Batman, if it had better looks, he sounded better and had a better suit he'd be my fave.

I loathe every other live action Batman and Bruce Wayne

edit: Lego Batman is better than Keaton and Affleck combined.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Ugh, I didn't like Lego Batman. Bale's Batman had the best arc. I liked seeing him hang up the cape at the end.

But Affleck's Batman was a force. I wish Snyder had gotten a chance to bring his vision full circle. The idea of a Batman so far gone that his fears and doubts consume him is too interesting to just be one movie. You kinda see what Snyder had in mind for him during BvS and his arc there is extremely powerful. Lord knows what else Snyder had in mind. A full on redemption was coming and then WB and Whedon fucked it up. Goddammit.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Snyder set up a good arc for Batman to move past the trauma of his life. Jason Todd being dead and Tim being introduced could lead to a great Batman story

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Murderman is always a bad take on the character. I enjoyed MoS (especially the action) but its clear that Snyder's approach to the DCEU was all wrong

I'm hopeful for Reeves rebooted Batman, especially if they recast and wipe away Batfleck as if it never happened.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Batman would never give up the mantle just because he saved the city from being nuked. There are still inmates running amok in Gotham because of complete anarchy. He doesn't care anymore or thinks the police will take care of it? That scene where he fakes his death never made sense to me.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Batman would never give up the mantle just because he saved the city from being nuked. There are still inmates running amok in Gotham because of complete anarchy. He doesn't care anymore or thinks the police will take care of it? That scene where he fakes his death never made sense to me.

This is the worst thing Nolan ever did. I would have preferred if Batman never retired but Bruce went full on recluse and no one saw him because he was being Batman every waking moment

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The reverence of Nolan constantly being displayed on this nerd forum and he completely misses Batman's character.

Sounds kind of familiar lol

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He did it so he wouldn't be asked to do another. It's clear by the time TDKR came around, he was doing it because he felt obligated and it shows. Whether that is due to being over it or his initial plans being impossible with the passing of Ledger, who knows, but you could tell he just wanted to be done.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
That's not a valid reason to assassinate a character.

People still went to see it so Nolan sure showed me.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not sure how people get clean versions of it... and won't question it but since Wan shared

Dvd1RK1WsAMI5BZ.jpg

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Not sure how people get clean versions of it... and won't question it but since Wan shared

Dvd1RK1WsAMI5BZ.jpg
Yeah, I posted this a few days ago after viewing the New Rockstars post credit break down video. They had cam footage (but only showed stills), though they didn't have the full paper in view. There's another paper that talks about Superman saving some workers too?

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Aquaman this afternoon, it was a lot of fun. I really hope Mera gets a spin off, I really dug Amber Heard and how they showed her powers.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
This is the worst thing Nolan ever did. I would have preferred if Batman never retired but Bruce went full on recluse and no one saw him because he was being Batman every waking moment

Dark Knight Rises had many weird decisions. I liked what they did with Bane, but went in weird directions with Bruce. He's supposed to be utterly destroyed physically from six active months of being Batman (this never goes anywhere), has a crippled leg which he can fix completely with super technology (so many why's here), his fixation on Catwoman - the only explanation I can come up with why he let her go was because she was hot, when Batmen finally meets Bane why didn't he throw batarangs which make people unconscious? Bane's not covered head to toe in body armour so it can work.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Going out now to the cinema to see whats all this hub-hub about that fish talking fellow is about , and contributing to the film international haul .
Current mood: im going, im going .

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn I forgot that came out this year. I'd imagine itd be instead of deadpool 2.

Personally mine would be Spiderverse, Aquaman, IW, BP and Deadpool 2.

Still need to watch Teen Titans.

You should! Teen Titans was the surprise of the year for me, went in there expecting another trash movie like Lego Batman 2 and came out pleasantly surprised.

Mine would be Spiderverse, Aquaman, Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2 and Teen Titans.

IW and Ant-Man both last.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman>Infinity War>Deadpool 2>Teen Titans go to the movies>Black Panther>Venom>>>>>>>>>>>Antman and the Wasp (boy they dropped the ball with this one)

I havent seen Spider-Man and I probably wont until it comes out on 4K Bluray so i cant comment on it.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ahead of Aquaman?

Teen Titans Go to the Movies, Spider-Verse, and Black Panther sure.

Infinity War I mentally put elsewhere, because it functions as an emotional coda to everything MCU, not really it's own thing.

Yeah should correct myself, Aquaman is tied for 4th with Infinity War

Because Infinity War is such a hard thing to really wrap my head around. As a movie, it's actually one of the weakest of the year. So many different threads it needs to manage... and it doesn't always work, characters disappear for large chunks of the movie and the ending while emotional for some, rang hallow... it's like the death of Superman in BvS, you know it won't stick.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Year end cape list

IW>DP2>Aquaman=BP>>AM&TW>Venom

If BP had better action I'd place it a notch above Aqua

Gonna try and catch SpiderVerse next Friday

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
My list in terms of pure enjoyment and the experience

IW>Spider-Verse>Aquaman>DP2>Black Panther>Ant-Man 2>Teen Titans>Venom

My list in terms of achievements for which tech, representation, or other things that push the industry forward...

Black Panther>Spider-Verse>IW>Aquaman>then a tie for the rest.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Infinity War is interesting because it's a movie that essentially requires you to do homework before you watch it or it's hard to get anything out of it. It's the first Avengers movie that doesn't have any time to catch the audience up because it has so much to juggle. The Russos were smart to make Thanos the main character as it gave the movie an arc to follow. That said, I wasn't surprised to hear both critics and many in the general audience didn't like it because it required them to watch movies they weren't interested in.

Going to see Aquaman today. Soon, I will join you under the seas.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War really wasn't that good for me. It was messy, unfocused. Watching all the movies and following the entire universe doesn't suddenly make the movie good. The only decent thing about it was how ambitious it was. But that's not what makes a good movie good.

CWTV Elseworld's crossover crossed 90's Flash with Smallville with its own universe. That's helluva lot more ambitious than IW ever was.

As a dumb action movie that crossed over multiple movies while still creating a good narrative experience, the first Avengers is still the best movie by far. IW is nothing special.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did really like Infinity War but the ending was kinda meh for what you said Penguin. We know they're all gonna be back anyway so it lessens the blow.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
When I left the theatre for IW, I was mad.

Because the whole snapping sequel was so emotional and I choked a bit up on that, then Spider-Man went away and like a second after I realized that he has a movie upcoming. That took me out hard.

But on a rewatch with having that in mind, it just worked better and I very much enjoyed it.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
As a standalone movie in its own right, IW falls flat.

As a pop culture experience you had to be a part of, it was amazing.

That said, I have a load of friends who just don't fuck with MCU like that. Yet even mediocrity like Justice League gets their attention. They hated it, but still - a good Batman movie will have them in the theatres.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Verse >> Teen Titans: GttM >> Black Panther >> Aquaman >> Venom >> Infinity War >> Incredibles 2 >> Deadpool 2 >> Ant-Man and the Wasp for me.
Pretty good year for animated superhero movies.

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017
Probably shouldn't say this.... in a DC thread, but Aquaman came in 5th for the year for me.
Yo. Infinity War is easily the best CBM this year and is probably on my top 5 comic book movies of all time. And Black Panther WAS my favorite MCU movie up until IW came out. Disney really hit it out of the park with those two back after back. I'd rank Fishboy #3 favorite this year but I have yet to see Antman & Spiderverse.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing about this a lot. What is the context of this scene? From what everyone's talking about, I'm imagining a jazz band or something made up of sea creatures?
The shot is literally a few seconds long. From how people were talking you'd think they went full musical and sang 'Under the Sea' or something.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Yo. Infinity War is easily the best CBM this year and is probably on my top 5 comic book movies of all time. And Black Panther WAS my favorite MCU movie up until IW came out. Disney really hit it out of the park with those two back after back. I'd rank Fishboy #3 favorite this year but I have yet to see Antman & Spiderverse.
Spiderverse will be your number 1.

Absolute gem of a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.