• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm still of the opinion that wasn't actually Lex's urine in that jar, cause there's no way it could have been smuggled onto the table of a Senate committee hearing without the smell permeating in the room since there wasn't a lid. It would have been an even crueler joke had Lex just put in some sort of Peach tea drink to get one over on Senator Finch.
Fortunately the movie leaves it vague as to what's actually inside there and let's us use our imagination. Personally I like to think Lex just put that label on to fuck with Finch. Inside is regular old Peach tea.

Lex is a great villain. I'll never understand how people can compare him to Ledger's Joker. The similarities end at their eccentricities if you ask me.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just worked it out in my head, thanks to a tweet

That Aquaman is Batman and Robin underseas EXCEPT everyone knows its supposed to be campy and lean into it. Instead of taking it seriously and creating unintentional humor.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Still haven't checked out Aquaman. Just how much camp am I to expect out of this movie? I'll let some camp go if I get a serious story to go along with it.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Think the guys agent asked for too much money which annoyed WB.

I'm guessing it's more a case of there simply being no plans for Superman rather than not wanting Cavill.

Hopefully a director can come back to WB with an interesting idea for a Superman film. Perhaps..... Snyder redemption arc?
Jesus Christ no, keep Zack far away from the character. Zack simply refuses to learn from feedback, he'll make another boring colorless Superman film. If I never have to see another stupid fucking Jesus reference in a Superman story I can die content.

Give Supes to Patty and let Johns write the script. Or make an animated movie, those are the best options imo.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Fortunately the movie leaves it vague as to what's actually inside there and let's us use our imagination. Personally I like to think Lex just put that label on to fuck with Finch. Inside is regular old Peach tea.

Lex is a great villain. I'll never understand how people can compare him to Ledger's Joker. The similarities end at their eccentricities if you ask me.
I can't understand either considering his Luthor was godawful. It was like someone took a kid's diary entries from the early 2000s and made a character out of that, all lame daddy issues and pseudo intellectual posturing.

Also Doomsday looked terrible before someone tries to tell me reusing the LOTR cave troll CGI was actually Zaddy critiquing Hollywood's obsession with rebooting old classics because they lack any originality of their own.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I can't understand either considering his Luthor was godawful. It was like someone took a kid's diary entries from the early 2000s and made a character out of that, all lame daddy issues and pseudo intellectual posturing.

Also Doomsday looked terrible before someone tries to tell me reusing the LOTR cave troll CGI was actually Zaddy critiquing Hollywood's obsession with rebooting old classics because they lack any originality of their own.
What about Lex is pseudo-intellectual? He's the smartest guy in the world and is quoting literature accurately. He's an intellectual. Nothing pseudo about it. And saying Lex has daddy issues is short-changing his true motivations which is all about striking down the idea of a Superman and how it puts a cap on the potential of humanity. He's great and totally different from a one-note force of chaos like the Joker.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
*reads up on the last few pages*

This is officially one of the best threads on the forum.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
*also reads the last few pages* lol

And man I cant believe that I'm going to see an Aquaman movie get close to a billy and depending on legs might get there.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yooooo

I didn't think zatt would end like this, not in this thread anyway. This thread is all about hope and good vibes yet he just wouldn't let it go, his anger consumed him lol.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I just worked it out in my head, thanks to a tweet

That Aquaman is Batman and Robin underseas EXCEPT everyone knows its supposed to be campy and lean into it. Instead of taking it seriously and creating unintentional humor.

I don't agree with that at all. Patrick Wilson isn't camp at all, he's playing things amazingly straight. Like there's a delivery of the Ocean Master line that could be played way, way up. Same with Willem Dafoe, who I think actually could've used some camp. Nicole Kidman and Temuera Morrison are part of the emotional center, and again, they're mostly playing things straight. Mera's only goofy in scenes with Aquaman directly. The camp is mostly down to Momoa.

In fact, I'd say Batman and Robin is far, far more camp intentionally. Schwarzenegger is chewing scenery and doing ice puns. Poison Ivy is... what? B and R is pure camp, completely on purpose, as you don't get that script and aesthetic unless that's your aim.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with that at all. Patrick Wilson isn't camp at all, he's playing things amazingly straight. Like there's a delivery of the Ocean Master line that could be played way, way up. Same with Willem Dafoe, who I think actually could've used some camp. Nicole Kidman and Temuera Morrison are part of the emotional center, and again, they're mostly playing things straight. Mera's only goofy in scenes with Aquaman directly. The camp is mostly down to Momoa.

In fact, I'd say Batman and Robin is far, far more camp intentionally. Schwarzenegger is chewing scenery and doing ice puns. Poison Ivy is... what? B and R is pure camp, completely on purpose, as you don't get that script and aesthetic unless that's your aim.
Black Manta is camp too. I think the whole film is masked in camp and it seeps into all the performances.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
When Black Manta is
building his suit,
I was asking myself: What? How does that even work? It gave us an insert song and a visual joke, but it could have easily been cut because of how little sense it made. All the insert songs were cheesy. Maybe not as bad as Suicide Squad, but it was still bad lol

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
When Black Manta is
building his suit,
I was asking myself: What? How does that even work? It gave us an insert song and a visual joke, but it could have easily been cut because of how little sense it made. All the insert songs were cheesy. Maybe not as bad as Suicide Squad, but it was still bad lol

I think appreciated moments like that scene where the movie showed it wasn't taking itself too seriously, music and all. And I think that scene served a purpose in showing
Manta as more than a brute
. Even the gag to end it kind of contextualizes the character's goofy look.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They could just as easily give him a suit where he had to repurpose it a bit because of Atlantean biology.

That scene made him look like Tony fucking Stark. Maybe that was the point all along though lol

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think what I like most, apart from the action and cinematography, is that Mera isn't a damsel in distress in the movie. She saves Arthur a few times and even holds her own in action scenes without needing a white knight. Could you imagine Joss Whedon having a go at Aquaman? lol

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
There are moments tho where
Atlanna are that fish and Murk dunking his head in the toilet bowl.

I treat that as humor. For example, the first Thor has funny fish-out-of-water moments, but I wouldn't call it camp. Hopkins is playing it largely straight. Tom Hardy is Venom though, that shit is camp. Schwarzenegger, Thurman, or Pfeiffer in the Batman movies are also pure camp. It's in how far the acting exaggeration goes.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need the Wan Cut of Aquaman where the Manta montage is extended to another seven hours

I loved everything about that dumb scene

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman's performance allows me to bring this post back (though I've been saying it since the place that shall not be named):

As I said before, WB will be fine. I reiterate something I've said in the box office thread, I think DC's floor is higher than Marvel, especially when it comes to characters like Batman, Superman, and Harley Quinn. Folks want to give these characters a chance. WB just needs to make good films. Once you do that, everything will right itself. And there's no real reason to be different just for the sake of being different. Do what's right for the characters you have. Make good films. And once you've got a run of that, then you figure out how to kludge them together.

No one cares if Batman turns up in the next film with a new face and Robin is alive or whatever. George Clooney and Val Kilmer were the same dude and no one batter an eye there; the problem was a bad film. Bond has been six very different people over the course of many years. Make a good film and no one will give a crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.