• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
People acting like Bumblebee isn't a dumb blockbuster too because of its critical reception. They're literally car robot toys LMAO

It is pretty funny how some act like there's a wildly different audience driving blockbusters to success. There's massive overlap between audiences for Jurassic World 2, Aquaman, Infinity War, Venom, etc.

So it's weird to celebrate when those people go see one movie but get bitter when they go see another. It just is.

That said, I'd love it if Spiderverse was the highest grossing movie of the year. But it isn't like Aquaman is preventing it from breaking out.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
The new SW movies are so wack. It's not often I feel the need to walk out of the theater while watching a movie, but man was that feeling prevalent during TLJ. It's funny how during the backlash people were at each other's throats about how people weren't understanding how TLJ was deconstructing SW. It was BvS all over again lol.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I will say this about Bumblebee and Spider Verse, they can be big blockbusters, but I get that people see more heart and warmth in them than Aquaman.

Aquaman is the big set pieces and gorgeous CG and not much more than surface deep for many, I get it

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is going to be something special. I can feel it.

And yes I typed the whole title because I honestly love it.
I honestly didn't really like the title when I first heard it, but it's kinda grown on me.

The title feels almost indicative of the freedom the creatives behind the movie have. Like that is a weird name for a movie. Harley is fuckin' super bankable, but it's title is more like a quirky indie movie ya might hear about at Sundance.

I'm really interested to hear/see more about the movie in the coming months. This probably isn't going to be the typical comic book flick, and that's going to be rad to see unfold.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
How much does AM have to make to green light a MOS sequel?
Man of Steel?
tenor.gif

The new SW movies are so wack. It's not often I feel the need to walk out of the theater while watching a movie, but man was that feeling prevalent during TLJ. It's funny how during the backlash people were at each other's throats about how people weren't understanding how TLJ was deconstructing SW. It was BvS all over again lol.
I much preferred Aquaman to every SW movie since ESB. Anecdotally speaking, the hype for episode 9 is at very low point. Disney took an IP with infinite potential and turned it into one with which you can do very little. None of the new trilogy characters are a fraction as interesting as the OT, definitely not Rey. I still feel stung that they teased a PoC Jedi as the main character to only give us another white saviour.

You know what?

I'm going to bite my tongue and just let it go. Folks have opinions. Always remember that.

So it's weird to celebrate when those people go see one movie but get bitter when they go see another. It just is.
Right?

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol Zatt.

Rather than start drama else where i want to give my take here.

I much preferred Aquaman to every SW movie since ESB. Anecdotally speaking, the hype for episode 9 is at very low point. Disney took an IP with infinite potential and turned it into one with which you can do very little. None of the new trilogy characters are a fraction as interesting as the OT, definitely not Rey. I still feel stung that they teased a PoC Jedi as the main character to only give us another white saviour.

Aquaman has the best CBM action sequences outside of a movie not directed by Raimi or Snyder.

Imagine thinking this all reflects badly on others who enjoyed Aquaman too.

They could have just made Rey a female PoC and it probably would have been better. The original trio are definitely much much better than these new guys.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, opinions are all good!

The box office thread just got messy because someone said they preferred Aquaman to recent star wars. Apparently it was embarrassing those who also liked Aquaman.

People like different things. None of that is embarrassing.

Unless Venom is the top of your list for the year. Then at least I have questions.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Unless Venom is the top of your list for the year. Then at least I have questions.
Tom hardy is my favorite protagonist of the year, he's just a guy doing crazy shit. I mean you wanna lean into comic book foolishness, Tom hardy is at one with it, as if was born into it.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Tom hardy is my favorite protagonist of the year, he's just a guy doing crazy shit. I mean you wanna lean into comic book foolishness, Tom hardy is at one with it, as if was born into it.

I'll definitely give you that. Venom is a bad film with an excellent ham performance by Hardy. Absolutely looking forward to the sequel with Hardy and Harrelson.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The new SW trio are just a tremendous waste of three incredibly talented performers (Ridley, Boyega, and especially Isaac)

Driver is the only new character who had material worthy of his skill

Deleted member 2109

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expected RLM to shit on it but I don't get their every actor being bored and phoning it in take. I don't see that at all. Also in general I don't get the Mamoa complaints. He's basically playing himself but he does it well and he's super entertaining.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
It's still the best Spiderman movie regardless. Just finished seeing it today.
Hoping to see it this week!

But damn I hate people tweeting spoilers when the movie is still new :/

Still excited though.

I expected RLM to shit on it but I don't get their every actor being bored and phoning it in take. I don't see that at all. Also in general I don't get the Mamoa complaints. He's basically playing himself but he does it well and he's super entertaining.
They seem tired of blockbusters in general

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's an actor I wanted to catch a break more than Momoa, so I'm glad Aquaman is doing so well for him

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I don't think there's an actor I wanted to catch a break more than Momoa, so I'm glad Aquaman is doing so well for him
Yeah, and I'm also super glad he gets to show case his heritage while promoting it to boot. Doing the Haka's on the blue carpet and at the Hawaii premiere (where he had to hold back tears) shows how much it means to him and his family. I wish they used it more in the movie, he started it a few times, but it felt like he stopped short.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Does it feel like cheating considering most of it was China? I tend to just focus on the domestic box office. China is just going to keep going up and up for almost everyone

MajorGripex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm visiting my husband's family for Christmas and my mother-in-law asked my husband and I if we wanted to watch Aquaman on Wednesday. I'm honestly really surprised because she doesn't care for CBM in general but apparently the word of mouth from friends really got her intrigued. So I got our tickets and I gotta say I'm super hyped for my second viewing.

Also just ignore the haters homies. The fact that these losers come in here just spill their hater-aide is nothing short of pathetic. Not worth the time or the energy. They will troll and whine but in time they will join us in the sun.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm visiting my husband's family for Christmas and my mother-in-law asked my husband and I if we wanted to watch Aquaman on Wednesday. I'm honestly really surprised because she doesn't care for CBM in general but apparently the word of mouth from friends really got her intrigued. So I got our tickets and I gotta say I'm super hyped for my second viewing.

Also just ignore the haters homies. The fact that these losers come in here just spill their hater-aide is nothing short of pathetic. Not worth the time or the energy. They will troll and whine but in time they will join us in the sun.
Didn't know you were married

But yeah strong word of mouth

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah. I'm happy for him. Dude worked his ass off his whole career. Hearing him reflect on it, calling the Conan script terrible but he didn't get many chances or choices, it's cool that he broke out with something that felt personal to him.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

When you frame it like this, I agree with you. But there's something callled "context", and when you read the post, you might maybe understand the train of thought that made me react so strongly:

No one outside this forum gives a damn about Rey or any other characters in the Disney SW aside from maybe Kylo

That final duel between Aquaman and Orm was a better duel than anything in the recent films as well.

This statement, conscious or not, reeks of sexism. What does he mean with "people on this forum"? Not just the fact that he is flat out wrong and that there's a whole new generation of Star Wars fans that absolutely love Rey and these new films, but what he truly means with "people on this forum" and that people only care about Kylo? Maybe that we are at least labeled a progressive forum that cares about empowerment in media? Who even cares about Kylo and identifies with that asshole? Rey is an extremely important character in Star Wars mythology and most of all, one of the best well crafted ones, opening the franchise to something more than being the child of a "chosen one". Also, Rey with only two films under the character's belt might enjoy something that Luke, Han and Leia did not: to become the face of the Jedi and the Star Wars franchise, a powerful role model for generations that haven't even started watching these films yet, and I extend that to Finn and Poe as well.

I stand by EVERYTHING I said yesterday regarding how toxic and with a persecution complex DCEU fans are, unfortunately even here on this forum. If what is being said here isn't enough proof for some, as an example, this:

There's also, well, this:

First of all, I'm not a hater. I didn't come up here to "hate" on Aquaman. In fact I've been very public on how much I absolutely love the film, it's my top 3 superhero film of the year.

Second, comparing Star Wars with Aquaman sounds dumb to me because well, Aquaman is an extremely dumb film that knows that it's dumb and owns it. There is some cool parallels to be made with Black Panther when it comes to the talk of "half-breed" and whatnot but it's extremely superficial, but I'm glad that it's there, regardless. Star Wars mythology runs quite deeper than Aquaman, and Viper's post does still reek of sexist nonsense to me, although it might be unconscious. Rey matters more as a character than Momoa being the king of Atlantis, same goes for Finn, Poe and even Rose when it comes to representation. I was embarrassed by the thinly sexist remarks on Star Wars new trilogy, and I still am. Big dude saves the day is cooler and better than Rey "because no one cares". GTFO with this nonsense, it's what I say. Even Wan knows that Aquaman isn't more relevant than Star Wars and Rey, why to get into a fight that you can't win and will only make you look like a sexist asshole? I mean, it's ok to have opinions and like Aquaman better than Star Wars, but can't you not look sexist while doing it?

And third and not that it matters, but I'm 37 years old. Never mind the ageist bullshit going on here, I'm glad that someone pointed this out to me so I can give you an obvious example of how incredibly toxic this fanbase is, even here. Some of you can't take criticism, even if it's made by one of your own. The tribalism runs deep here, and while it might give you a sense of camaraderie and that you are not alone, it comes at the expense of this fanbase being toxic and unwelcoming as fuck. I'd rather try to be the good example and show people that we call out bullshit like that, instead of being just "popular" with the crew.

Happy holidays.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4353

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol Zatt. How did he actually find that Twitter post. You come here to lecture Dceu fans about persecution complex when there's so much bs bias that happens on this very forum. Do I bring up the Titans topic again.

Let it go and move on

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
zatt, you just gotta let shit rock man. Nobody is ever salty enough to make twitter rants about me.

Status
Not open for further replies.