• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
So I've seen about half(?) of Seaman. Had to leave during the intermission, which was right after they jump out of the plane.

Will catch the other half on iTunes. Didn't think much of the first part.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So I've seen about half(?) of Seaman. Had to leave during the intermission, which was right after they jump out of the plane.

Will catch the other half on iTunes. Didn't think much of the first part.

I'm more curious about this intermission business

(and the second half is a much better movie, though I also like the first)

INST

Nov 2, 2017
I'm more curious about this intermission business

(and the second half is a much better movie, though I also like the first)

This was another theater than I usually go to. For some reason there was a 10 minute intermission, as if this crap isn't long enough already. No IMAX on top of that. Never going there again.

On an unrelated note: I mixed my M&M (blue bag) with sweet popcorn and the bastards in Discord gave me shit for it. Am I crazy? That stuff is fantastic.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
On an unrelated note: I mixed my M&M (blue bag) with sweet popcorn and the bastards in Discord gave me shit for it. Am I crazy? That stuff is fantastic.
Inst deserved to miss out on the second half for the shade he pulled off. Poor popcorn will never be the same again.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Aquaman doing well for itself seems to be breaking some of the forum members.

Folks mad at it in the box office thread, folks wanting it to go Rotten on RT so they can make it a thing... even after the movie is out and folks can judge on their own.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Yet those same people will swear up and down that there's no biases or fanboys on here in regards to these films.

Like, fanboy behavoir doesn't bother me - it's part and parcel to hanging out in enthusiast spaces online - but I wish people would just stand up and own that shit. It's been clear for a while that folks on Era are deeply bitter about these movies and actively root for them to fail. Whether it's a thing with DC or just any non-Marvel Studios film or even just superhero movies in general, some folks just come at it with an instant chip on their shoulder. Yet, when you call it out, you're the crazy one.

Granted, it's not everyone. It's not even the majority. But it's enough people that there is a consistently pattern of behavoir across these threads.

Last edited:

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm a naruto fan boy
PlayStation fan boy
DC fanboy

Shit I like gets torn apart on these forums but I don't go around trashing everything I don't like. If I don't like it I just don't care about it. Some people actively hate movies and shows and games like they were victimized by them.

Like just cause I like something doesn't cloud up my vision of other things.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Folks mad at it in the box office thread, folks wanting it to go Rotten on RT so they can make it a thing... even after the movie is out and folks can judge on their own.
You out of all people feeding on the persecution complex non-sense of DC fans is not just wrong, but fucked up.

DC fans need to stop thinking the world is out to get them. People like you that are looked up ihave a responsibility of being better than that.

What is happening on the box office thread is people wanting good films to get the word of mouth and appraise they deserve. I love Aquaman, but what you are doing there and here isn't just embarrassing, but wrong because DC fans even when they are fucking winning they are complaining. We are all way better than this.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
You out of all people feeding on the persecution complex non-sense of DC fans is not just wrong, but fucked up.

DC fans need to stop thinking the world is out to get them. People like you that are looked up ihave a responsibility of being better than that.

What is happening on the box office thread is people wanting good films to get the word of mouth and appraise they deserve. I love Aquaman, but what you are doing there and here isn't just embarrassing, but wrong because DC fans even when they are fucking winning they are complaining. We are all way better than this.

What?
I'm not feeding any persecution complex

Literally posts like this exists
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wk...m-bumblebee-21m-marwen-2m.88994/post-16239919

https://www.resetera.com/threads/aq...hread-update-currently-64.86320/post-16219579

Like I'm not taking things out of thin air.

Oct 25, 2017

Nah there were clearly some salty members seeing Aquaman doing well feeling that it's taking away from Spider-verse and Bumblebee.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

Breh, when a people comes into a thread and makes a post that clearly says they think Aquaman is shit and doesn't deserve its success, how else are we supposed to read that?

It's nice that you want to assume best intentions from others. Really, it's an admirable quality and generally a good rule of thumb. Yet, sometimes you gotta call shit what it is. Some people - not all, not most, some - are salty this movie is having the success it is having. Their reasons are their own, but it's a thing. It's not a "persecution complex" to call a spade, a spade.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
LOL

People want aquaman to be rotten movie that bombs so bad, I don't care if zatt comes here and says different like we have a persecution complex.

People have a boner because they want the DCEU to bomb and be rebooted, but we on the wave of success. Onward to Shazam⚡

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

So one guy thinks that Aquaman looks trash and other wants to see the RT thread open because it eventually might go rotten. And? And yes, you are feeding on DCEU's persecution complex, and yes, I expect better than this from you because as a mod you should raise above this shit.
Here, some reading that you and others here clearly need to give some thought:

Tribalism becomes toxic very quickly. It's a mindset that demands blind loyalty and sees the slightest pushback as all-out war. You simply cannot force people to love everything the exact way that you love it or suffer the consequences. You can't insist on victim status while gathering 'evidence' against critics to threaten them with. You can't create conspiracies of paid off critics or Hollywood-wide sabotage to justify treating people in such an obviously horrible way. You can't have a healthy fandom if everyone in it with mildly dissenting opinions is afraid to share them for fear of harassment. This is nothing unique to the DCEU or Snyder fans. Indeed, it's a lesson all fandoms should be taught. Fandom should be fun, not hate.

Source: http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/why-does-the-dceu-have-such-a-toxic-fanbase-.php

Breh, when a people comes into a thread and makes a post that clearly says they think Aquaman is shit and doesn't deserve its success, how else are we supposed to read that?

It's nice that you want to assume best intentions from others. Really, it's an admirable quality and generally a good rule of thumb. Yet, sometimes you gotta call shit what it is. Some people - not all, not most, some - are salty this movie is having the success it is having. Their reasons are their own, but it's a thing. It's not a "persecution complex" to call a spade, a spade.

This isn't about assuming best intentions from others. This is about aiming to be the better person and literally learning how to win. Aquaman is a success, it's a film that will get sequels and it's excellent as a popcorn blockbuster film. Am I mad or disappointed that critics don't see it like me? Nope. Am I less appreciative of Aquaman? Also nope.

I love Marvel Studios films. A whole fucking lot. I absolutely love Star Wars new films so far, and I absolutely love Aquaman and Wonder Woman. But persecution complex IS something that DCEU fans will have to work it out, because it's obvious that the online street cred of DCEU fans isn't good, and for good reason. You can discuss the merits of the film without attacking the other film or claiming a bias against a franchise. You can be the better person and root for the success of Aquaman and Bumblebee and Spider-Verse. It's not that hard.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
So one guy thinks that Aquaman looks trash and other wants to see the RT thread open because it eventually might go rotten. And? And yes, you are feeding on DCEU's persecution complex, and yes, I expect better than this from you because as a mod you should raise above this shit.

Source: http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/why-does-the-dceu-have-such-a-toxic-fanbase-.php

This isn't about assuming best intentions from others. This is about aiming to be the better person and literally learning how to win. Aquaman is a success, it's a film that will get sequels and it's excellent as a popcorn blockbuster film. Am I mad or disappointed that critics don't see it like me? Nope. Am I less appreciative of Aquaman? Also nope.

I love Marvel Studios films. A whole fucking lot. I absolutely love Star Wars new films so far, and I absolutely love Aquaman and Wonder Woman. But persecution complex IS something that DCEU fans will have to work it out, because it's obvious that the online street cred of DCEU fans isn't good, and for good reason. You can discuss the merits of the film without attacking the other film or claiming a bias against a franchise. You can be the better person and root for the success of Aquaman and Bumblebee and Spider-Verse. It's not that hard.

If it's not that hard then go tell the people who were quoted that

And also don't quote fucking slashfilm.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see anyone here that's happy about Aquaman's success tearing down Poppins or Bumblebee or Spider-verse though.

BUt you do have users mad that aquaman is doing good and acting like it's taking away from other movies.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
If it's not that hard then go tell the people who were quoted that

And also don't quote fucking slashfilm.

Don't be toxic.

You don't own this thread.

I don't see anyone here that's happy about Aquaman's success tearing down Poppins or Bumblebee or Spider-verse though.

BUt you do have users mad that aquaman is doing good and acting like it's taking away from other movies.

It comes with winning. It comes with succes. It happened with Infinity War, it happened with Black Panther and before that, with The Last Jedi. There's no conspiracy. Critics didn't enjoy the film as much as you or me, but they are not out on a vendetta against the DCEU. So some people here are trashing Aquaman. Well, let me break it to you, people trash these films all the time. The price of success is that you become the biggest target. Learn to be gracious about that.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
There is clearly a double standard for alot of things on here, I don't see why you let it get to you one way or the other

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be toxic.

You don't own this thread.

It comes with winning. It comes with succes. It happened with Infinity War, it happened with Black Panther and before that, with The Last Jedi. There's no conspiracy. Critics didn't enjoy the film as much as you or me, but they are not out on a vendetta against the DCEU. So some people here are trashing Aquaman. Well, let me break it to you, people trash these films all the time. The price of success is that you become the biggest target. Learn to be gracious about that.

First off. What you're saying here really isn't making sense. DC hasn't really had much success. WW and now this are really their biggest wins. And the logic you're trying to apply doesn't really work. No one has targeted IW, Or BP like they have aquaman. No one has said those movies aren't deserving of their box office.

But you literally have in the BO thread. People MAD that aquaman is doing good and the others aren't. It's not a case of just those people wishing Spider-verse and bumble bee did better. They are actively mad that Aquaman did so much better.

But you're mad at those calling out those posters pretty much telling them to not say anything on a discussion forum, but as you said. You feel embarrassed. Meanwhile posters on this very forum go out of their way to derail legit discussions about the DC movies because they feel they have to tell people for the millionth time how much they hated it and how much it sucks and how no one can possibly find enjoyment out of them, and if you like those movies your opinions are invalid.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

But that's the thing: no one in here is rooting for Spider-Verse or Bumblebee to fail. Most regulars in this thread have seen or will probably see all three films. I intend to watch at least Spider-Verse and Aquaman this coming weekend (I'm less interested in Transformers, so Bumblebee is a maybe; I've never seen a TF film in theaters). Hell, I'm sure a few might even go see Mary Poppins. So you don't need to come in and lecture folks in here about the merits of rooting for multiple films. We get it for the most part.

Here's the thing about "DC" fans as you call the them, and really, fandoms in general. Are there crazies out there? Yes. Are there people who let their fandom blind them to others having dissenting opinions or legit gripes? Yes. Are there far too many conspiracy theories about critics forming some secret cabal against DC in order to maintain the glorious Marvel empire when the truth is they just didn't like BvS? God yes. Do the bad actors within the fandom excuse the bad actors outside of it? No.

I roll my eyes at the whole "persecution complex" thing because it often gets used to excuse moments where we point out how ridiculous OT gets when it comes to these films. If you want to charge us with perhaps spending too much time on the topic, I'll concede that point. This thread is at its best when we're just shooting the shit about the movies or other DC projects. However, to act like we're just making up all the shitposting and constant negativity in DC threads, or that all that negativity is coming from a decent or fair place, is beyond ridiculous at this point. The reason it bothers some in here is not because we just want everyone to love DC films, but because it makes OT threads a headache to read through. No one wants to constantly scroll through the hyperbolic bullshit just to talk about Aquaman or Birds of Prey or whatever.

So we call it out or vent our frustrations with it sometimes, and that somehow turns back into us having a "persecution complex?" Nah fam. That dog won't hunt. DC fans may have a poor rep, but like many fandoms before them, people also love to goad and agitate them. One's position outside of a fandom doesn't automatically grant them deeper or fairer insight anymore than one's position within it automatically makes them blind or a bad actor. There's bs happening on both sides of the spectrum, and DC fans aren't the only ones who need to do better.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
But that's the thing: no one in here is rooting for Spider-Verse or Bumblebee to fail. Most regulars in this thread have seen or will probably see all three films. I intend to watch at least Spider-Verse and Aquaman this coming weekend (I'm less interested in Transformers, so Bumblebee is a maybe; I've never seen a TF film in theaters). Hell, I'm sure a few might even go see Mary Poppins. So you don't need to come in and lecture folks in here about the merits of rooting for multiple films. We get it for the most part.

Here's the thing about "DC" fans as you call the them, and really, fandoms in general. Are there crazies out there? Yes. Are there people who let their fandom blind them to others having dissenting opinions or legit gripes? Yes. Are there far too many conspiracy theories about critics forming some secret cabal against DC in order to maintain the glorious Marvel empire when the truth is they just didn't like BvS? God yes. Do the bad actors within the fandom excuse the bad actors outside of it? No.

I roll my eyes at the whole "persecution complex" thing because it often gets used to excuse moments where we point out how ridiculous OT gets when it comes to these films. If you want to charge us with perhaps spending too much time on the topic, I'll concede that point. This thread is at its best when we're just shooting the shit about the movies or other DC projects. However, to act like we're just making up all the shitposting and constant negativity in DC threads, or that all that negativity is coming from a decent or fair place, is beyond ridiculous at this point. The reason it bothers some in here is not because we just want everyone to love DC films, but because it makes OT threads a headache to read through. No one wants to constantly scroll through the hyperbolic bullshit just to talk about Aquaman or Birds of Prey or whatever.

So we call it out or vent our frustrations with it sometimes, and that somehow turns back into us having a "persecution complex?" Nah fam. That dog won't hunt. DC fans may have a poor rep, but like many fandoms before them, people also love to goad and agitate them. One's position outside of a fandom doesn't automatically grant them deeper or fairer insight anymore than one's position within it automatically makes them blind or a bad actor. There's bs happening on both sides of the spectrum, and DC fans aren't the only ones who need to do better.

But that's the problem. The bolded part. You can't expect people to love DC films like you do. People dislike any franchises here, including Marvel Studios and Star Wars, and that's okay.

Aquaman being great should be celebrated, and the fans here could use some grace when faced with criticism, from both professional critics and people on the community. Discuss why you love it, debate the flaws if you disagree, ignore the trash talk. It's not that hard.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Can someone explain the time-line.

Didn't Mera at the beginning thank him for defeating Steppenwolf, yet this was their first time meeting?

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
But that's the problem. The bolded part. You can't expect people to love DC films like you do. People dislike any franchises here, including Marvel Studios and Star Wars, and that's okay.
That's........what I said. lol No one here expects everyone to love DC films. Most have made their peace with having the minority opinion.

It would just be nice to not have to constantly have threads ruined by the shitposters.

Aquaman being great should be celebrated, and the fans here could use some grace when faced with criticism, from both professional critics and people on the community. Discuss why you love it, debate the flaws if you disagree, ignore the trash talk. It's not that hard.
Who isn't treating the film's success with grace? Again, I think you're lecturing the wrong people.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

Didn't Mera at the beginning thank him for defeating Steppenwolf, yet this was their first time meeting?
Yeah that was a bit shaky. Felt like they wanted to introduce Mera properly given she plays a larger role.

They did seem to know eachother in JL. But i think we can all just ignore that God damned abomination of a movie.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think upon Aquaman, the more I like it. I gotta give it up to Wan for going all the way with the source material. Only he has that kind of pull over WB.

Think I might go with IW>Aqua>BP for my top three comic flicks this year

If BP wasn't let down by the terrible VFX that betrayed the excellent narrative, I might have placed it above Aqua, but so many months later I'm still in awe at how that final fight scene was approved by any one at the top of production. Bilbo flying that battleship around was some Attack of the Clones-level shit

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

It wasn't their first time meeting. They met first on JL, and it's implied on the film. They clearly didn't know each other well tho. Nothing on Aquaman contradicts what happened before in the DCEU, and it'd be feasible a soft reboot keeping Aquaman and Wonder Woman with whatever Reeves is cooking up.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017

The (sea)salt is sustaining me lol. Like who could have seen this coming. It's not like James Wan makes crowd pleasing movies that people dig and make good money.

Oh wait he does.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Fantastic Beasts 2 is more of a problem.

Note: Aquaman isn't Justice League. Justice League was meant to be the tentpole release for the entire universe of films. Aquaman is a solo entry. Its budget is reportedly around $160-200 million, which is line with previous DCEU films. It's already sitting at $332 million without today's domestic release, so $700+ million is mostly a given, I'm feeling around $800 million.

It's getting a sequel. WB is very happy with it.

How much does AM have to make to green light a MOS sequel?

Guys?

Guysssss?????

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
The only weird thing to me when Arthur met Mera, was that Arthur asked her what her name was. I think they should've cut that line out. I assumed in JL that they had met even before the Steppenwolf fight by the way they talked in that movie. Oh well, it's not a big deal.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
People acting like Bumblebee isn't a dumb blockbuster too because of its critical reception. They're literally car robot toys LMAO

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
It's very possible that she's been pestering him without him knowing her name. When she first appeared on the dock it seemed he knew who she was.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
How much does AM have to make to green light a MOS sequel?

Guys?

Guysssss?????
The fuckery with Superman is probably the weirdest thing going on with DC atm. Batman is more or less set and just like everything else, it's just a waiting game for the script. Superman tho? Who knows wtf is going to end up happening with him? The situation with Cavill is obviously the major block, but I'm also sure they don't really know what to do with the character.

I would hope Hamada and his crew are taking the right lessons from Man of Steel and Superman Returns. Though the immediate reaction to both movies was largely negative, I think time has been kind to them both and each had the ingredients for a good modern take on the character. I think both movies had potential, and if they can come up with something that takes the best of both, I think they'll end up with a great modern Superman movie.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
The more time I have to ruminate, I think a second watch will have me enjoy Aquaman far more than I did the first time. The main issue I had was how much exposition was delivered in the first half and how tough it was to keep track of all that information despite being an avid DC reader and familiar with the New 52 Geoff Johns run that inspired it. Also, I think Aquaman is a movie that only gets better and better, and has an excellent third act that I will really want to see again in IMAX.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is going to be something special. I can feel it.

And yes I typed the whole title because I honestly love it.

Hope we get the costumes for Birds of Prey soonish.

I'm betting on sometime in February we get the first look. Even if it's just set shots.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The fuckery with Superman is probably the weirdest thing going on with DC atm. Batman is more or less set and just like everything else, it's just a waiting game for the script. Superman tho? Who knows wtf is going to end up happening with him? The situation with Cavill is obviously the major block, but I'm also sure they don't really know what to do with the character.

I would hope Hamada and his crew are taking the right lessons from Man of Steel and Superman Returns. Though the immediate reaction to both movies was largely negative, I think time has been kind to them both and each had the ingredients for a good modern take on the character. I think both movies had potential, and if they can come up with something that takes the best of both, I think they'll end up with a great modern Superman movie.
It's probable the WB suits are waiting for how Shazam performs first. Superman and Shazam have similar power sets. Superman is a pop culture icon in the West but it's largely an unknown in overseas territories. For them the difference of the two are negligible. Hell, Shazam might even perform better because it isn't an icon stuck in the 50s.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Rather than start drama else where i want to give my take here.

I much preferred Aquaman to every SW movie since ESB. Anecdotally speaking, the hype for episode 9 is at very low point. Disney took an IP with infinite potential and turned it into one with which you can do very little. None of the new trilogy characters are a fraction as interesting as the OT, definitely not Rey. I still feel stung that they teased a PoC Jedi as the main character to only give us another white saviour.

Aquaman has the best CBM action sequences outside of a movie not directed by Raimi or Snyder.

Imagine thinking this all reflects badly on others who enjoyed Aquaman too.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Rather than start drama else where i want to give my take here.

I much preferred Aquaman to every SW movie since ESB. Anecdotally speaking, the hype for episode 9 is at very low point. Disney took an IP with infinite potential and turned it into one with which you can do very little. None of the new trilogy characters are a fraction as interesting as the OT, definitely not Rey. I still feel stung that they teased a PoC Jedi as the main character to only give us another white saviour.

Aquaman has the best CBM action sequences outside of a movie not directed by Raimi or Snyder.

Imagine thinking this all reflects badly on others who enjoyed Aquaman too.

I mostly agree with you, I'm still hyped for episode 9 though even if I didn't like TLJ. But yeah, I liked Aquaman more than the majority of the SW movies, especially the recent ones. But then again I've always thought the more interesting SW stories are the ones in the KoTOR universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.