• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
If you didn't like him in the trailer I don't know what to tell you. I've only seen good reactions and I think he's great in the movie.

Movie was good. Writing was meh, especially 80% of the jokes. Some amazing shots and scenes but it was rough in some spots. The trench scene...in real IMAX....fucking wow. I know they gave it the IMAX ratio after while doing visual erfects,; why don't they do that for every movie? It was fucking fantastic. Ugh that trench!
Writing was awful. The conversation about Manta's Grandpop in the middle of the submarine piracy scene was some dreadful exposition; the line about tears in the ocean etc. Wan REALLY elevated the material along with the actors. I'm shocked that DC green lighted this script; in lesser hands this could have been Sqwad awful. In general though I thought it was great.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The Dark Ages are over my friends.

Reeves 'bout to direct a period film of Batman in the 60s starring Armie Hammer as Adam West.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
Aquaman is a crowd-pleaser. Wan is a really interesting director, I was really into the editing on the film and the CGI was very good. I feel it will make bank over the holidays because it has a nice blend of themes. I also like the music for Orm and Black Manta. So bad ass. Need to listen to the soundtrack.

The only thing I kind of dislike was that song (you'll know).

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Eh that's an odd way to think of it

Like clearly stalled projects like The Batman, Flash, 100 versions of Lobo, etc

But a film that was only announced earlier this year seems fine to not hear a ton about
Usually yeah but this is DC we're talking about lol

Anyway, I wonder what hits first, New Gods or Eternals?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I think New Gods is a case of WB knowing the importance of the property and wanting to take their time and get it absolutely right.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Ava is a busy woman and she approached WB about New Gods rather than the other way around. Given they just signed that huge deal with her, I'd say the project is gonna happen, but it's going to take time.

Again, I'm not sure what people are wanting here. It's like we hear about a project one week and if we don't get a director and casting the next week, it's instantly a "stalled project." Movies take time to get going. Be patient.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Usually yeah but this is DC we're talking about lol

Anyway, I wonder what hits first, New Gods or Eternals?

Eternals. MCU has plenty of empty slots near future to get filled.

New Gods has potential to be something truly unique If they don't turn it into a conventional blockbuster. It'd be really easy to make a New Gods as a Barda and Scott Free 'origin' story, the Granny Goodness and the Furies as the main antagonist with Darkseid as the looming figure over everything.

That's be neat, too, but it can be so much more.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
They could seriously play the long game with Darkseid now. No matter what anyone says, BvS and JL still count in this universe and have planted some seeds for Darkseid and Apokolips. New Gods can give us full backstory of Darskeid and High Father and people will connect the dots when they see the Omega symbol and hear about Mother Boxes, etc. When we get the eventual JL2 with EVERYONE (including some New Gods like Orion) taking on Darkseid, it could feel more epic than Infinity War. But, it will take another 6-8 years to get there.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman was killer, it was less of a comic flick and more of a high fantasy adventure but that's what made it really work. The action was particularly excellent

Momoa did a great job leading the film as well. I always knew he had it in him, he just needed the right director to utilize his potential.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's early yet, but it seems like Poppins isn't the streamroller at the box office many predicted for Dec.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
It's early yet, but it seems like Poppins isn't the streamroller at the box office many predicted for Dec.
Idk why everyone thought it would be. It's way too late to cash in on nostalgia like most of these Disney remakes/sequels, and the marketing has been so tame I doubt they grabbed too many people who weren't already interested. It could still have legs and it'll ultimately be successful, but people were acting like this was The Lion King or something.

Millennials aren't going to care for Mary Poppins.

Kids will just watch Spider Verse.
Basically.

Folks really thought 30-somethings and their kids were going to see a sequel to a movie from the 60s over two superhero movies, Transformers, and The Grinch (for those theaters still playing it).

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think it was

1)It's Disney
2)It's a musical during Christmas time coming off of The Greatest Showman's AMAZING run last year
3)It's a known quantity, beloved by all who remember it.

4)And this is a larger one, coming into the holiday season it was family-friendly... I mean DC didn't have the best track record and Transformers is a bit of a boys club.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I was reading some reviews by top critics and....they're worthless. Wesley Morris just shit talks his way through his review, which I guess it's fine, but he's a better writer than that. Film criticism is a joke nowadays.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Aquaman around 64% on RT. At this point I doubt the score will affect the film's earnings but it still wouldn't be good for this to fall to Rotten status. Man some of these critics are just childish in their complaints.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think DC's track record matters as much as people think. People point to Justice League, but that was the only real bomb and it's so-so marketing campaign and abysmal reviews/WOM didn't do it any favors. Wonder Woman did just fine not 6 months prior, and Suicide Squad's box office suggests more people liked it than internet chatter would have you believe.

The perception of DC does matter, but mostly in "fan" circles like the kind Era members would be a part of. The general audience mostly either just want to see cool shit, or literally cannot tell the difference.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I don't think DC's track record matters as much as people think. People point to Justice League, but that was the only real bomb and it's so-so marketing campaign and abysmal reviews/WOM didn't do it any favors. Wonder Woman did just fine not 6 months prior, and Suicide Squad's box office suggests more people liked it than internet chatter would have you believe.

The perception of DC does matter, but mostly in "fan" circles like the kind Era members would be a part of. The general audience mostly either just want to see cool shit, or literally cannot tell the difference.
True but WB is trying to rebuild the brand. You need only look at Bayformers to see that eventually "shit exploding" only takes you so far. Critical success at this stage helps silence those who mindlessly regurgitate RT scores as gospel.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the movie, wish it delved deeper into certain areas but enjoyed it overall.

Also love that Ross gave me shit on these forums for saying it was going to hit between high 50's and high 60's and I cut the middle.... and the score stands smack dab in the middle.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
True but WB is trying to rebuild the brand. You need only look at Bayformers to see that eventually "shit exploding" only takes you so far. Critical success at this stage helps silence those who mindlessly regurgitate RT scores as gospel.
Right but I don't think they're at that point yet. At least not in terms of things affecting their box office between different movies. Like I said, Wonder Woman did fine carrying all the baggage from Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad. More than fine, even.

With Transformers, things are a bit different because that's one series helmed by one director until the latest one. It's easier for audiences to make the connection that "Transformers = bad," and even then, it took damn near a decade for general audiences to finally be like "Nah, we good." DC is a little different for many people it all just meshes together as "superhero movies." Had things continued the way they were going, they would have hit that point eventually. With Aquaman doing well, they'll be fine if they can keep up the momentum.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the movie, wish it delved deeper into certain areas but enjoyed it overall.

Also love that Ross gave me shit on these forums for saying it was going to hit between high 50's and high 60's and I cut the middle.... and the score stands smack dab in the middle.
Should I pay you rent now?

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Just watched Double Toasted's review. Rental from Korey, Some ol bullshit from Martin. I figured they'd be on the lower end, but I really thought they'd like it a bit more.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman around 64% on RT. At this point I doubt the score will affect the film's earnings but it still wouldn't be good for this to fall to Rotten status. Man some of these critics are just childish in their complaints.
Those same critics probably don't have the same complaints when marvel studio movies do worse in those areas. Or even if they complain they still rate those movies positively. There is clearly a double standard.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The costume looks sooo good in the movie. They REALLY nailed it. I hope we get another one.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

It's not bad. Film's out, and more importantly Aquaman is only blockbuster for the holiday season.

Animated films perform differently, so Spider-Verse has a different audience. Poppins is family friendly, but the box office is looking soft. Bumblebee is good, but pay for the sins of past Transformers films. Mortal Engines has already flopped out.

Think of it like Venom. Even if the critical reception is rough, the film is good enough and there's nothing in its way. See also: Jumanji last year. I don't think you're getting a billy, but Aquaman will do just fine.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
It's not bad. Film's out, and more importantly Aquaman is only blockbuster for the holiday season.

Animated films perform differently, so Spider-Verse has a different audience. Poppins is family friendly, but the box office is looking soft. Bumblebee is good, but pay for the sins of past Transformers films. Mortal Engines has already flopped out.

Think of it like Venom. Even if the critical reception is rough, the film is good enough and there's nothing in its way. See also: Jumanji last year. I don't think you're getting a billy, but Aquaman will do just fine.
I'm not worried about Aquaman's profits, I'm worried that it getting a Rotten will cause more panic at WB HQ. I don't look forward to the usual suspects using its RT score to proclaim the DCEU is in crisis again.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Cross posted with the OT

I fully appreciate the movie leaning into full on ridiculousness. I felt like the people that made the movie may as well have whispered in my ear at the start of the movie "this shit is straight up bananas, just roll with it."

Jason was honestly pretty good as aquaman. I was kinda worried going in but his arc was handled well. His "bro-ness" kinda works to the movies advantage as he grows more throughout the movie. becomes more kingly.

That classic Aquaman suit tho, Jesus Christ. It pops on screen. I can't believe it looks as good as it does.

Mera was excellent. Really good chemistry to bounce off Arthur. Their relationship felt a touch rushed but I enjoyed what was developed. She has a big moment in the Italy fight and the crowd went absolutely nuts lol. Interested to see how they show her in the sequel. A moment between Arthur and Mera towards the end was breathtakingly beautiful. Mera bonding with humanity and the flower scene were very endearing.

Orm was pretty good as the primary antagonist. Just hammy enough to work for the movie, but Wilson knew when to pull back. Black Manta was cool, but wanted more. His screen presence was super dope, excited to see more. The black manta suit tho, whew. James Wan deserves a special award just for that suit. When he shows up in later he looks weird as hell, just like the character should haha.

Whole supporting cast was good. Dafoe was great as always. Needed a little more Dolph sniffing out crime but I liked seeing him. Kidman was pretty touching as the mom. The dad was really good too.

The fights, world/creature design, music, vfx were really rad. I loved the look of atlantis, so beautiful. pure joyous spectacle.

Aquaman is over the top and crazy like an 80s action movie. Super enjoyable. I thought the quotes mentioning Indiana Jones and lotr vibes were gonna be bullshit, turns out that was right on the money. felt more like an old school adventure story more than anything else.

Don't skip this one in theaters, see it in imax. The trench sequence (and honestly a good portion of the third act) reach nutted but still sucking status.

The movie features
Julie Andrews as giant kraken that has a heart to heart conversation with Arthur and during the gladiator battle a drumming octopus kicks things off
lmao

James really is the chosen Wan

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
If anything is making WB antsy, it's Fantastic Beasts 2 not hitting like they thought it was gon hit. I think they were counting on that one to be their big holiday hit with Aquaman just being the gravy.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not worried about Aquaman's profits, I'm worried that it getting a Rotten will cause more panic at WB HQ. I don't look forward to the usual suspects using its RT score to proclaim the DCEU is in crisis again.
Yeah it would be a massive shame if WB took the wrong messages.

Let Wan go crazy again with the sequel. The set ups there now - a focused script for the sequel and go full on CHEESE again.

I LOVED the Saturday morning cartoon feel of it all.

Can't wait to rewatch it.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
If anything is making WB antsy, it's Fantastic Beasts 2 not hitting like they thought it was gon hit. I think they were counting on that one to be their big holiday hit with Aquaman just being the gravy.

Yup. Fantastic Beasts 2 is more of a problem.

Note: Aquaman isn't Justice League. Justice League was meant to be the tentpole release for the entire universe of films. Aquaman is a solo entry. Its budget is reportedly around $160-200 million, which is line with previous DCEU films. It's already sitting at $332 million without today's domestic release, so $700+ million is mostly a given, I'm feeling around $800 million.

It's getting a sequel. WB is very happy with it.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Watching the New Rockstars video about the mid credits stinger and they have some cam shots from it which show off some fun easter eggs
The newspaper that Manta throws his dagger into is from The Coast City Ledger
There's a paper to the right of that one (I think the New York Times) with something about the "Myth of Atlantis"
The paper below the times has a headline that says, "Wonder Woman and Aquaman dating?"
There's an article to the left of the Coast City front page with what appears to be something Superman related, but I can't make out everything... "Something something Superman frees wrecking crew something something something"

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Wasn't it at like 85% for a while?
fw86u.gif

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably gonna get down to like 54%. Movie seems great yet it just keeps sinking. I dont get it.
It simply doesn't have marvel in its title. It's really that simple and Shazam will once and for all settle whatever doubt there might be. Wonder Woman being an outlier for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.