• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully, though i still feel there may be a few rotten eggs before they get the formula, idk what happens after Aquaman or whats the plan :^S
Shazam is next which looks to be the most accessible of them all. Then there's Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman in 2020 which are shaping up pretty nicely. Of course there's also Joker next year but it's not part of the DCEU.

Wait, is there only 2 movies next year, and only 1 in the DCEU? Lame af.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Shazam is next which looks to be the most accessible of them all. Then there's Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman in 2020 which are shaping up pretty nicely. Of course there's also Joker next year but it's not part of the DCEU.

Wait, is there only 2 movies next year, and only 1 in the DCEU? Lame af.
I think SS2 will end up as a 2020 movie, too.

Maybe even Blue Beatle or Zatanna if they're modest budget affairs.

I don't see a DCEU movie in the scale of Aquaman happening again for a while.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird to say but I'd prefer they let directors go wild on their property rather than try to fit everything into a singular, or compatible, aesthetic and tone. Even if that means you get wide shifts in quality and movies that aren't for everyone.

Say, if Reeves wanted his Batman to be muted colors, high contrast blacks, seeped in shadows, let him. If The Flash was gonna be some hype stylized movie like Scott Pilgrim or Speed Racer, let it be that.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's weird to say but I'd prefer they let directors go wild on their property rather than try to fit everything into a singular, or compatible, aesthetic and tone. Even if that means you get wide shifts in quality and movies that aren't for everyone.

Say, if Reeves wanted his Batman to be muted colors, high contrast blacks, seeped in shadows, let him. If The Flash was gonna be some hype stylized movie like Scott Pilgrim or Speed Racer, let it be that.

I mean that's been the MO of comics since the beginning

I'm all for it. There's no one size fits all for any of these companies. Like I love Superman 78, but don't think want a Batman film cut in that mold.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

If Aquaman keeps breaking out - it already is - I don't see how WB, as incompetent as they are, can justify not give the shared universe to people that actually can make something out of it, like Jenkins, Wan and now also Gunn and hopefully Sandberg.

With all due respect to those that loved Snyder's films, the truth is that they did not work. Not in a critical level, neither with people outside the hardcore fanbase, and I'm not even talking DC hardcore fanbase, the DCEU hardcore fanbase alone. I'm a hardcore DC fanboy that cannot stand or fathom the idea of having to even think about Snyder's films ever again. I think it's possible to "Rebirth" the universe and keep only what actually worked: Wonder Woman and Aquaman. If they can make Ezra and Ray work, great. If they can't, well, we are talking DC here. Soft reboot this thing and let's go.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Walter Hamada helped build the Counjuring universe, now let him build the DC universe. I think they're in a good spot now going forward. Just need that Green Lantern and Superman movie and maybe we can have another go at a proper Justice League in a couple years.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

SS2 will be 2021 since BoP is 2020. Starting with BoP they want Harley on screen every year. They see her as their Deadpool, which is kind of what she's become in the comics anyways.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved BvS but I could definitely see why people didnt like it. I also think people where waaay to hard on it. Zack should have gone after that movie and JL should have been delayed too. I hope Aquaman gives them more confidence forward.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
aquaman definitely going to get the fresh rating, if i am not crazy the top critic rating has gone up 5% to 56% and overall its nearing the 100 fresh review mark

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
SS2 will be 2021 since BoP is 2020. Starting with BoP they want Harley on screen every year. They see her as their Deadpool, which is kind of what she's become in the comics anyways.
Sounds like a great way to kill a golden goose. Wouldn't that inevitably cause audience fatigue, and lead to her "star power" decreasing over time?

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that's been the MO of comics since the beginning

I'm all for it. There's no one size fits all for any of these companies. Like I love Superman 78, but don't think want a Batman film cut in that mold.

Yeah, comics have always been that way and it's great. Spiderverse is in many ways a celebration of that. But with live action, people seem to overvalue consistency across the movies, and the idea that there's "one true version" of these properties.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when (if?) Reeves' Batman comes out, will people outrage and say "Not my Batman!" too?

(Personally I just want to see more warehouse fights.)

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Aquaman B-roll footage with some very spoilery scenes

Suit is CGI enhanced to remove the movement joints, but it looks good even without.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Just watched all that B-Roll, super cool to see. Kinda odd that they even bothered to give Orm the jaw strap on his mask when it was just CG'd on the whole time, but looked great without it.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
DanielRPK is praising Young Justice season 3 to the moon!

So hyped.

Ocean Master looked so great in the final fight scene. I think he was a great villain overall. You could tell the true reasoning behind his motivation without the film having to outright tell you.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Orm reminds me a bit of Hela in that it's a simple villain bolstered by an actor having enough passion to go for it. For the type of movies they are, it's a balance of swagger, emotional motivation, and being hammy without twirling a mustache.

In terms of DCEU movie baddies, still gotta give it to Zod. Not a huge fan of that movie but Michael Shannon is great.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

Click the link to see the embedded video (why the hell it isn't embedding by the way?)

A1bVv0UojXL._SY445_.jpg

Make it happen Wan. Fuck our shit up.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna double spoiler this because it's super duper spoilery about Aquaman (post credits talk) but for those of us who've watched it,

Anyone else have a moment thinking it was gonna be Lex or Waller who picked up Black Manta?

I know the DC movies are trying to be more self contained and Dr. Shin makes sense to setup the sequel. But it would've been dope to have that moment where he Manta is recruited for the Legion of Doom or Suicide Squad.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
^yeah i was kins of expecting that to happen but what we got was fine imo.

We totally need a Black Manta movie.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna double spoiler this because it's super duper spoilery about Aquaman (post credits talk) but for those of us who've watched it,

Anyone else have a moment thinking it was gonna be Lex or Waller who picked up Black Manta?

I know the DC movies are trying to be more self contained and Dr. Shin makes sense to setup the sequel. But it would've been dope to have that moment where he Manta is recruited for the Legion of Doom or Suicide Squad.
I wasn't expecting that but it would have been neat

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
^yeah i was kins of expecting that to happen but what we got was fine imo.

We totally need a Black Manta movie.

I think Black Manta could use some more character development before the second film. Getting him to work with the Suicide Squad - hell, maybe even make part of the Squad itself go after Aquaman in the sequel - might do it.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
International critics keep review bombing Aquaman. At this rate it will end up a rotten film unless something turns around.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Ocean Master in this film. And Aquaman's classic suit is perfect. This movie deserves all the praise it can get.

Nov 13, 2017
Weekend in this situation is from Friday to Tuesday because of Christmas.
The wild card here is that Mary Poppins comes out on Wednesday so that Disney can get an extra day and a half of sales. I really hope Aquaman can hit $100M. Those headlines would be great.

I'm so eager to see if the Jumanji/Greatest Showman legs make a return this year for all these holiday releases, or if that was just some strange counter programming miracle for The Last Jedi.

Oct 25, 2017
International critics keep review bombing Aquaman. At this rate it will end up a rotten film unless something turns around.

Honestly stop worrying about the RT score. This is only an issue if you're going to use this to defend or detract the film.

The movie is already making money. WOM is most likely going to lean very favorably to this movie. It's going to at least make 700 million and there will be a sequel.

This movie isn't even going through the normal DC cycle where people just shit on it. You're either going to see it or not and WOM will carry it.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well, I'm prayin for a billi.

enough green to make them green light MoS 2, I mean I really don't feel any hype for bumble bee and marry poppins? that doesn't seem like a road block for aquaman. If it can get those jumanji legs it could be the highest grossing DCEU movie.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I thought it would be

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

I honestly thought it was just going to end with Manta being pulled onto the boat and that's it. No fan fare or other cameos. The fact it went on for as long as it did was what really shocked me.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly stop worrying about the RT score. This is only an issue if you're going to use this to defend or detract the film.

The movie is already making money. WOM is most likely going to lean very favorably to this movie. It's going to at least make 700 million and there will be a sequel.

This movie isn't even going through the normal DC cycle where people just shit on it. You're either going to see it or not and WOM will carry it.
The outlook towards DCEU films and their fans was progressing but now, as you can clearly see on the review thread. It's all back to being a huge joke.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The outlook towards DCEU films and their fans was progressing but now, as you can clearly see on the review thread. It's all back to being a huge joke.

Dude Fuck OT. Dont ever take their opinions into account on anything. The Aquaman review topic isn't a dumpster fire because it reviewed better than they wanted it to. They like their hot takes and biased bs.

Oct 25, 2017

Why are you worried about what a few members on ERA think of the movie. No one on their right mind is calling Aquaman a joke on twitter that have seen it.

It's about to walk to 700 million and anything after that is gravy. Fuck a certified fresh rating if people come out of the experience enjoying their time.

Oct 25, 2017

Contrary to popular belief, ERA (especially OT ERA) isn't the public at large.

The public at large, or at least the ones who have seen it, have generally enjoyed the movie. It's making good money overseas and, crucially, appears to have the kind of WoM that can help carry it to a good box office.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lol at taking OT seriously in regards to DC.

Let it go, don't forget the titans review thread if you ever need remember how deep the is bias lol.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's hopeless but at least I want them to be aware of their own bias on that thread. Many of them think that marvel is the pinnacle of comic book entertainment and everything else is trash while thinking to themselves that they are being fair. But I will let it go for now, the Shazam reviews will be more telling.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
In this instance it ain't really fair to pin it on the OT. The Aquaman thread is mostly positive. The review thread is this weird confirmation bias thing from a handful of posters who weren't gonna see it anyway.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at a complete disconnect with the majority of reviewers I see.

Aquaman is a blast.

A lower rt than Wolverine 🙁

With regard to biases - we're all human. It's natural to have inherent bias. I do feel critics expect a shit show when walking into a DC movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.