• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Performance in China is pretty nuts so depending on how it plays in America, it can get up there. Perhaps the highest grossing DCEU movie.

Justice League is gonna stay the lowest grossing DCEU movie lol

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just tuned in but Jim Lee is doing a Mera piece for those interested in this stuff

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to watch this in a real IMAX on Thursday for the only 2D showing of the day. None of that 3D nonsense.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Rewatching Spiderverse and reflecting on Aquaman, I'm pretty comfortable having a rank of superhero movies this year. I'd go,

Spiderverse > BP >>> Aquaman = Infinity War >>>>>>> Deadpool 2 > Venom > Ant-Man and Wasp

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
But it's Aquaman. Why is it obliterating shit like Transformers, Fast and Furious and god knows what else? It's bonkers.

Don't think about it as destroying, and more that there's a general growth in the China is regards to certain foreign films. You'll see the upper end get stronger in 2017 and 2018.

Aquaman estimates for a take in China are a total of $250 million. Which is still under Avengers: Infinity War, Venom, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. (Fate of the Furious, which did $392 million in China last year.) Aquaman is doing great, but it slots in quite well with the types of Hollywood films that China takes to.

Again, the world was just waiting for good, enjoyable DCEU films. Imagine 5+ years from now when WB delivers their next Justice League-style team up.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
What if they just reintroduce Batman and Superman in Justice League 2: We're really going to try this time

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Rewatching Spiderverse and reflecting on Aquaman, I'm pretty comfortable having a rank of superhero movies this year. I'd go,

Spiderverse > BP >>> Aquaman = Infinity War >>>>>>> Deadpool 2 > Venom > Ant-Man and Wasp

I think we're pretty similar
SpiderVerse
Teen Titans Go To the Movies
Black Panther
Aquaman = Infinity War
Venom
Deadpool 2
Antman and The Wasp

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Killmonger until his "we'll kill everyone and their children" monologue. The last third really dragged, was rewatching it on TV earlier.

Aquaman really has a brilliant final third, it makes the Wakanda battle in IW look small time. It's nuts.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic doesn't do the battle justice. I was completely blown away with what was happening onscreen.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty funny how Man of Steel and Aquaman feel like the stakes and scale are several hundred times bigger than Justice League.

I think we're pretty similar
SpiderVerse
Teen Titans Go To the Movies
Black Panther
Aquaman = Infinity War
Venom
Deadpool 2
Antman and The Wasp

Still need to see Teen Titans Go. I heard all good things. And apparently some very dark humor for a PG movie.

Speaking of PG, the Shazam trailer ahead of Spiderverse took out the pee joke and changed the robbery to remove the gun shots and "you're dead."

Last edited:

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's pretty funny how Man of Steel and Aquaman feel like the stakes and scale are several hundred times bigger than Justice League.
Still need to see Teen Titans Go. I heard all good things. And apparently some very dark humor for a PG movie.

Because ultimately they are.

Like the stakes of Suicide Squad feels bigger than Justice League because the threat in JL is never really explained well to the audience nor is it as immediate when it begins

It's just kind of... don't let these cubes connect.

Should have had it open up a portal or something with Parademons swarming in with them trying to stop the cubes or something.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
The Justice League we got was such a rush job trying to patch whatever Snyder was doing. As far as I know Steppenwolf was never meant to be their main villain.

Anyway, it feels like going forward they're just not gonna mention the Snyder events in the future movies and do a soft reset with the origin/standalone stories for now.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Still funny how if you were the average person living in that world, you probably had no clue about Parademons or Steppenwolf. Not even random lame Russian family knew of Steppenwolf.

I was surprised to hear Mera mention Steppenwolf at all. Where'd she learn his name?

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
The Justice League we got was such a rush job trying to patch whatever Snyder was doing. As far as I know Steppenwolf was never meant to be their main villain.

Anyway, it feels like going forward they're just not gonna mention the Snyder events in the future movies and do a soft reset with the origin/standalone stories for now.

Steppenwolf and the JL aftermath are directly mentioned in Aquaman so it seems they're not rebooting.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

There is a brief mention in Aquaman.

I felt Justice league kinda left the universe in a good place, story wise.

Lex is gathering the LoD, Aquaman went to discover himself, Flash became a more confident hero, Superman and Batman were both more optimistic.

Death of Superman was the only major story used. I'm kinda okay with that.

It seems to be in a good spot now. If they manage to actually sort something out for Superman there's a chance Cavill will return. Although Affleck won't feature in Reeves trilogy he may in present day movies (according to rumours).

Aquaman being a success could show the general audience isn't 100% repulsed to Snyder's vision. Justice League just did poorly as it was a crap mishmash of two conflicting visions.

MHWilliams is correct when he says the ceiling for DC properties is very high, if done right. As we can see with Aquaman's China performance.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Still funny how if you were the average person living in that world, you probably had no clue about Parademons or Steppenwolf. Not even random lame Russian family knew of Steppenwolf.

I was surprised to hear Mera mention Steppenwolf at all. Where'd she learn his name?

She did do battle with him in Justice League
So if she was guarding the Mother Box must know of its lore

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Entire soundtrack sounds like Blade Runner. Works incredibly well with Atlantis and everything in the movie. It's so distinctly different from WW that it's more similar to MoS.
The Pitbull song stuck out like a sore thumb.

Overall the score was great. Manta's theme and Arthur's theme both suited each character.

The beach locations in this movie are stunning. Especially where Vulko trains Arthur.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
The Pitbull song stuck out like a sore thumb.

Overall the score was great. Manta's theme and Arthur's theme both suited each character.

The beach locations in this movie are stunning. Especially where Vulko trains Arthur.

I'm a big fan of Aquaman's theme. It's, for a lack of better words, badass.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arrowverse Batman is also missing

Could it be? The biggest crossover ever? TV and film of DC merging for Crisis?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Phew, spiderverse was so well made. That's a movie you can tell respects it's property. The animation and visual flair is just nutso. Hyped for Aquaman on Thursday!

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I think we're a ways off from seeing the "current" Batman again. Maybe not eight years like between X-Men 3 and X-Men Days of Futures Past. But who knows.

Neither here nor there,

13kc1C0.jpg

Last edited:

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Of the superhero movies I've seen this year

Black Panther > Teen Titans > Infinity War

Didn't care about Deadpool, Ant-Man, or Venom. I expect to enjoy Spider-Man and Aquaman.

I'm curious what the Double Toasted guys gonna give this.
If I had to guess just based on reviews and what little I've seen

Korey: Matinee
Martin: Matinee/Rental

They're not big on CG heavy movies and I doubt they'd overlook the script problems everyone is talking about.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I just watched Aquaman (not expecting much)and it was awesome! full of cool looking locations(the visuals are a high point), fun characters ,a fitting sountrack , the story is simple ,(kinda like a videogame) but it works. it was just a fun movie and ran with it.

Favorite DCEU movie so far if the others were like Aquaman i wouldn't have any problem with the movie universe.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Cavill and Superman are all that I want.

As for ranking the super hero movies this year without seeing aquaman.

Spider-Man > Deadpool 2 > infinity wars > black panther > venom > flaming garbage > ant man and the wasp.

Spider-Man is easily the best movie

Avengers was cool for the sheer spectacle. Honestly I enjoyed basically everything that wasn't ant man 2.

Black panther and venom are about equal for me because venom was trippy and fun throughout but black panther fell off so hard in the 3rd act.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it.

The part where they get the trident, that first scene where they come above water was the double of the comic panel, so I knew what happened next lol

Mera's outfit made it hard to concentrate 👀

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I just watched Aquaman (not expecting much)and it was awesome! full of cool looking locations(the visuals are a high point), fun characters ,a fitting sountrack , the story is simple ,(kinda like a videogame) but it works. it was just a fun movie and ran with it.

Favorite DCEU movie so far if the others were like Aquaman i wouldn't have any problem with the movie universe.
WW and Aquaman will be the foundation going forward so you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.