• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Erza won

• Yes

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Oh hell yes

Votes: 45 73.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Manta, in general, was damn good. If the sequel is going to involve him it's going to be amazing.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's true. It felt more like an adventure movie than the usual superhero thing. And devolved into some huge and nicely done scenes. Black Manta works. And Patrick Wilson totally sold the character of Orm. While both Nicole Kidman and Amber Heard were badasses. It started out slow but after the first act it's just littered with cool moment after cool moment time and time again.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The three origin movies are all really top notch.

Man of Steel, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

I'm more than okay with WB focusing on individual movies for a while.

Hyped for Shazam, which I'm also sure will deliver!

Patrick Wilson is great as Orm. Wish they spent more time with him, but the film was packed as it is.

I can definitely see this being a stunner on Imax and in 3D.

Edit, spoilering just in case.

Given how people hate the kiss between Clark and Lois in MoS, Aquaman will grind some gears

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Keeping my fingers crossed that either Zatanna or Blue Beetle is the next origin to make it out of development.

Nov 13, 2017
Just left Aquaman!

It was good. A step above Justice League, but MILES away from reaching Wonder Woman levels of filmmaking and sophistication. Like, not even close.

The special effects were awesome. I think the under water kiss scene was the most impressive thing I've seen in years. I loved all the fights that took place there. The credits were also beautifully done.

The scenes above ground in Italy might have been my favorite part. Black Manta was perfectly realized.

Now for the bad. The score and the vocal songs were a fucking disaster. It kept switching from orchestra, to Blade Runner, to Pitbull! Such a let down.

The first quarter of the film is an absolute train wreck. I was in shock of just how bad everything about it was. Thank gosh the third act was flawless.

The script was really weak and it shows. Momoa and Heard were fantastic and so was Patrick Wilson.

Overall a good, mindless popcorn flick. I wish it was better, but it's another step in the right direction.

I think Wonder Woman will remain the prestige franchise of the DCEU while the other films remain kind of surface level.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That is a crowd pleaser

Audience gave like 3 big moments applause.

Stunning looking

I don't get the cg complains personally

And Manta for Aquaman 2 gonna be tight

Nov 13, 2017
95% of the CGI is impeccable. There are only a few seems that don't look good. The scene with young Aquaman and Willem Dafoe looks like a PS to cut scene.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
CG is stunning throughout.

We need to talk about the creature design in the movie.

It is phenomenal.

Momoa is great. He really sold his inner conflict in one scene. Don't get the complaints about him at all.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Aquaman was pretty dope. Not hitting my favorites in recent years (Wonder Woman, Logan, Black Panther, Spiderverse), but a really entertaining adventure movie with some better than average action scenes.

It really did feel like a cross of Star Wars, LOTR, Indiana Jones, with shades of Avatar.

Some shots in it were gorgeous. The soundtrack was fine, but considering the same composer as WW, I hoped for more.

That is a crowd pleaser

Audience gave like 3 big moments applause.

Stunning looking

I don't get the cg complains personally

And Manta for Aquaman 2 gonna be tight

I didn't see the CGI complaints but it was pretty damn great aside from one spot.

Otherwise, my two main complaints were the acting from both young teen and late teen Arthur actors. Latter had an emotional scene and it was rough.

Other complaint isn't really a complaint so much as a thing they did too often, which was

an explosion and action scene interrupting a quiet moment or conversation. Happened three or four times.

Oct 25, 2017
There is one thing I was surprised with in regards to Ocean Master, and that was his
mask. I was surprised to see them "Deadpool" it and have it be expressive."

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was fine. The CG was hit or miss at times, especially if hair and fabric were involved. The music was all over the place. It would come in and out at weird times. Acting was eh. But man was it a spectacle at times. I'd give it a solid C+/B-. It was entertaining enough.
95% of the CGI is impeccable. There are only a few seems that don't look good. The scene with young Aquaman and Willem Dafoe looks like a PS to cut scene.
To me any hair or fabric that had motion on it looked unnatural to me.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
It is inherently unnatural. It's like the scene in Arrival, although with better effects. But it looks how it should look if you put the actors underwater. Like, that BvS scene where Momoa is visibly holding his breath.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Just got back from it as well, and was shocked to see the whole damn theatre filled. I thought we'd be the only 4 in the screen, so we had to split up into seats of 2 since everything was filled.

Enjoyed it quite a lot, they had the sound turned up a little too loud though. Dunno if that's how it was supposed to be or what, but it was a little jarring at first. Didn't distort any of the major scenes though, so that was good.

Thought all the visuals were top notch for the most part, that last act battle was just insane. I can't even comprehend trying to plan that out and animate it. Liked Mera quite a lot too. Her powers are bad ass and it's awesome she could handle her own against the guards. Props to the stunt team all around and the VFX crew on this one.

EDIT - Had to add one more thing... How Manta got his suit was really smartly done. I freakin love when they explain the heroes/villains costumes.

Last edited:

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Screening finally started 45 minutes late, but we got free tickets out of it too so the kids were actually excited. Definitely enjoyed it despite some of the cheesy moments. Visuals were top notch (stylistically at least, CG was mostly good I thought). Only downside was we didn't get to see it in IMAX. Bet it will look great on 4K HDR at home though.

OP
OP
ody

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

First 20 or so minutes were uneven with setting things up, and there were some missteps with music chosen/transitions for some scenes (indiana jones parts) but mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the last third?... WHEW. They knock it out of the park!

I would have placed it right next to WW but the music stuff takes it down a point or two.

Manta is God tier

Last edited:

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
The movie was pretty legit. The action was top notch and manta is a boss. I had issues with the plot but it was definitely an entertaining flick. If they fix the issues for the sequel they'll be golden. Also get James Wan for a justice league sequel and shit even a man of steel sequel.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Broadly speaking I think a better script would've done wonders.

And I was really impressed by the action. Wan did good stuff in Furious 7 but both the more grounded and fantastical sequences were pretty great.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta re-watch this in IMAX ASAP, but I also need to see Spider-Verse and Bumblebee.

The world building is fantastic. It's so much more interesting than I could have expected, better than any of the space stuff we've had in Superheroes so far. Hopefully an Aquaman 2 doesn't let up in that area.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just rewatching Superman Returns. I may not think the movie as a whole is any good but the plane rescue scene is still my favourite Superman movie put on screen. So well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.