• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean fine idea, but clearly can tell original content budget is shrinking.. this will be "our show" until I guess Stargirl is ready to premiere on the CW

Oct 27, 2017
What I can't understand is them not announcing and promoting Harley Quinn for MAX. It's one of their most pushed properties and the show has been very well received so it seems an obvious move to me.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Since they said that Stargirl would air on The CW the day after it's available to stream on DC Universe, I guess it'll start up on May 11th? It's a Monday instead of their usual Friday release schedule for DC Universe.

Edit: Yeah, May 11th on DC Universe, May 12th on The CW.
variety.com

‘Stargirl’ Sets DC Universe, CW Premiere Date

Geoff Johns created the comic book series and serves as co-showrunner

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Greg Berlanti : So can i make a Justice Society tv show?
DC : No dude, it is such a big property ...
Greg: Ok, can i just make a Stargirl tv show?
DC: Sure
Greg: >=D

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ironically I've used DC Universe more than HBO Max since it's came out. DCU has the 4k content and more DC stuff. I wish that they would have merged the two apps or whatever but DCU is still the service for me at the moment.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Max is getting a lot of the DC animated movies soon, though. I wonder if they'll be taking them off of DC Universe to do so (which seems really dumb but they seem really convinced that rotating libraries is a good thing)

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I still don't get the rotating libraries especially with the animated movies

The live-action stuff I can see having potential.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
DC Universe is getting an HBO Max add-on

gqlpvo8433851.png

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
That's a damn good deal. Right now I pay 7.99 for dc and 11.99 for hbo. I'm gonna cancel hbo and get this deal and pay like 13$.

you basically are paying the 11.99 deal for hbo and getting dc for 1$ more.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This is so dumb, though. It makes more sense to offer up DC Universe (and Crunchyroll, etc) as an add on to HBO Max, not the other way around.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a way to soften the blow for DC fans when we find out the service is being mothball

Sadly, I get HBO Max via my cable provider.

I'm about 90% certain that's what this is for, yeah. DCU doesn't have much longer to live, so mixing the two together and then trying to convert DCU subs to HBOM subs makes sense.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I almost expect that at Fandome they'll roll DCU customers into HBO Max and then make a cheaper comics-only version of DCU that isn't focused on video content. The Doom Patrol made sense in terms of wanting to get such an amazing show more viewers, but the Stargirl move and the lack of upcoming news for DCU (while HBO Max is creating a lot of new DC content) seems to be fairly significant writing on the wall. I almost wonder if buying a year of DCU now might be a cheap way to get HBO Max (assuming that they're generous and convert it 1:1 month rather than based on comparative costs which would be closer to 1:3.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
At this point I almost expect that at Fandome they'll roll DCU customers into HBO Max and then make a cheaper comics-only version of DCU that isn't focused on video content. The Doom Patrol made sense in terms of wanting to get such an amazing show more viewers, but the Stargirl move and the lack of upcoming news for DCU (while HBO Max is creating a lot of new DC content) seems to be fairly significant writing on the wall. I almost wonder if buying a year of DCU now might be a cheap way to get HBO Max (assuming that they're generous and convert it 1:1 month rather than based on comparative costs which would be closer to 1:3.

The more cynical side of me says they'll just shutter it despite the work that went into the comics section, but I hope not. What they better not do is keep the price but just have comics. I realize it's probably similar to Marvel's pricing but people will not react well to paying the same for much less content.

At this point, it would also be a downgrade for even DCU subscribers because a switchover would lose 4k and Roku/Amazon support.

This is a special case tho

True, though what's the last thing they actually announced would be added to DC Universe? That game show that I haven't watched and Stargirl being broadcast on the CW (and now a CW exclusive). Seriously, if nothing else the fact that it's not even a co-exclusive anymore is something else.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is a special case tho

Stargirl season two will not air on DCU
Swamp Thing will be airing on The CW this fall
Harley Quinn has been airing on Syfy and will be coming to HBO Max soon
Doom Patrol has been airing on HBO Max concurrently with DCU

and HBO Max is getting -

Green Lantern show
Strange Adventures anthology series
DC Super Hero High
Aquman: King of Atlantis animated mini-series
Justice League Dark show

but the Gotham City show is just a special case?

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Stargirl season two will not air on DCU
Swamp Thing will be airing on The CW this fall
Harley Quinn has been airing on Syfy and will be coming to HBO Max soon
Doom Patrol has been airing on HBO Max concurrently with DCU

and HBO Max is getting -

Green Lantern show
Strange Adventures anthology series
DC Super Hero High
Aquman: King of Atlantis animated mini-series
Justice League Dark show

but the Gotham City show is just a special case?
Since it's a spinoff of the movie. Yes, it's a special case like the Dune spinoff.
If WB wanted the shutter DCU then it would've been done already, they're gonna milk this situation as long as they can.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Since it's a spinoff of the movie. Yes, it's a special case like the Dune spinoff.
If WB wanted the shutter DCU then it would've been done already, they're gonna milk this situation as long as they can.
What could they possibly be milking out of DCU?! Everything is jumping ship to other avenues, with the exception of the comics.

I love the comics component of DC Universe, but the writing is so clear on the wall. And it's the lack of communication that is making the DCU side of things all the more frustrating.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
What could they possibly be milking out of DCU?! Everything is jumping ship to other avenues, with the exception of the comics.

I love the comics component of DC Universe, but the writing is so clear on the wall. And it's the lack of communication that is making the DCU side of things all the more frustrating.
Still getting people who only want DC instead of other stuff, or whatever. Like I said, if WB wanted DCU shuttered already, it would've happened.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's a damn good deal. Right now I pay 7.99 for dc and 11.99 for hbo. I'm gonna cancel hbo and get this deal and pay like 13$.

you basically are paying the 11.99 deal for hbo and getting dc for 1$ more.
I'm confused about the promo. It says if you're monthly DCU, this promo only lasts for 6 months

But if you're annual DCU member, this promo will last till your annual subscription is done.

I looked at my account and I can't tell which one I am.

Also it's kind of lame because I thought this deal was indefinitely but it's really just a promo.