• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Damn this Xbox One app on the original console model. First it was HDR weirdness when on an unsupported console and screen (which seems to be fixed now?), now it's videos seemingly trying to play in 4K on it, thus slowmo and stuttering, and desyncing with the audio...sigh. It used to work fine, aside from the ocassional crash if you read comics for a while. Heh.

On the plus side, though, the picture quality looks amazing. Hah.

Edit: New update fixed it. Hooray!

Last edited:

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
If true that would be VERY interesting.

Stargirl has several JSA characters stated to appear. It's either going to be a seperate Earth or Crisis is shaking things up in a big way.
If this is true it probably means DC Universe is getting scrapped after Titans season 2 wraps up :(

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Posted in the Community area of DCU

DCU Members!
Our WarnerMedia partners made some exciting news today, and we're psyched! We also want to assure you that DC Universe is still going strong with an exciting year of super-fan service coming through this year and next. From our original programming, library of beloved series, ever-expanding comic library, real world events, and our just launched all-new Community, we're just getting started.
As a quick reminder of the latest news we announced at New York Comic Con, you can look forward to:
  • DCYOU: Unscripted – our invitation to fans to develop a show that might premiere on DC Universe next year
  • Bizarro TV – our animated anthology
and – of course – the can't-come-soon-enough premiere of…
  • Harley Quinn Animated, along with
  • Doom Patrol Season 2!
… as well as other exciting stuff we just can't talk about yet.
We'll continue to be here for our fans, and use our amazing Community to share upcoming exciting news … so stay tuned!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
At the very least they should come out and say that they're no longer rotating content. There's no need to if they're not going to license it out anywhere but Max.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
That post is kinda telling. They must know that there is a negative reaction right now and it's been building for a while I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Questions:

I'm a little fuzzy on the breaking news so forgive me, but I take it DC Universe is itself 'renewed'?

As in, it is not getting folded into the newly announced service(s)?

Do they plans for international releases yet?

Is there really a community thread AMA with Swamp Thing stars on its new messageboard?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Just realized something... no mention of Stargirl.

I assumed it was because it was already done and ready to go, but now you're making me worried.

Bottom line is they had to put out something. But everyone assures their customers they're going to remain open and things are running normally up until the point that an announcement is made. I really can't see them wanting a niche service when they're trying their best to launch an all encompassing service and DC is one of their listed assets, AND the premium DC content is being put on there anyway (the most recent movies, the prestige project in Swamp Thing, etc.)

There's not even a bone thrown in there, like "hey, we're getting the newer DC movies too." Or "hey, GL will be a shared exclusive."

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I assumed it was because it was already done and ready to go, but now you're making me worried.

Bottom line is they had to put out something. But everyone assures their customers they're going to remain open and things are running normally up until the point that an announcement is made. I really can't see them wanting a niche service when they're trying their best to launch an all encompassing service and DC is one of their listed assets, AND the premium DC content is being put on there anyway (the most recent movies, the prestige project in Swamp Thing, etc.)

There's not even a bone thrown in there, like "hey, we're getting the newer DC movies too." Or "hey, GL will be a shared exclusive."

There were rumors that they were thinking of airing it on The CW. The fact that they didn't put it in their post about everything coming to DCU in the future does not look great.

Questions:

I'm a little fuzzy on the breaking news so forgive me, but I take it DC Universe is itself 'renewed'?

As in, it is not getting folded into the newly announced service(s)?

Do they plans for international releases yet?

Is there really a community thread AMA with Swamp Thing stars on its new messageboard?

We have no idea what the future of DCU is other than that it is still going into the new year and will get Doom Patrol season two. Not sure about international's releases.

I tried to scroll through the community threads and it is really unorganized. Couldn't find anything on Swamp Thing but maybe?

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Apparently this is the embargo for the show

EII-R45XYAAC76K.png

EII-SzIWwAAQ6I7.png

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lmao that Stargirl news next to the old tweet saying it's MOST DEFINITELY not going to the CW too.

Anyways, I wish the DCU app itself would handle sorting and listing of comics better. It's near impossible to structure and navigate through events and reading order the way it is now.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The DCU comics app is terrible... I mean, it's nigh impossible to figure out a reading order for comics in general but this makes it even worse. If you look up a reading list and you know exactly which issues you want to read, it's probably ok, but that seems insane to me.

Stargirl going to the CW is like RIP DC universe. It's got a ONE DAY lead time on DC Universe, which is nothing, and unless they have some kind of special uncensored version (which I doubt) I don't see the point except stringing people along. The CW isn't even like a cable channel that people without cable would have a hard time getting.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
HBO Max can't even take full libraries from its sister services so what makes you think DCU is going anytime soon? You ever wonder why Doom Patrol was the only show announced simultaneously airing on DCU and HBOMAX?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
HBO Max can't even take full libraries from its sister services so what makes you think DCU is going anytime soon? You ever wonder why Doom Patrol was the only show announced simultaneously airing on DCU and HBOMAX?

Because it was a highly regarded show and Titans season 2 was already set to air before Max even opens? It's not like there are a ton of shows to port over if this goes away. If they're not ready to shudder it makes no sense to announce Titans is simultaneously airing until they have to, because otherwise people would just cancel.

Or let me put it this way: the rumors were everywhere that Stargirl was being reworked for the CW, and it was deny, deny, deny until today.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Because it was a highly regarded show and Titans season 2 was already set to air before Max even opens? It's not like there are a ton of shows to port over if this goes away. If they're not ready to shudder it makes no sense to announce Titans is simultaneously airing until they have to, because otherwise people would just cancel.

Or let me put it this way: the rumors were everywhere that Stargirl was being reworked for the CW, and it was deny, deny, deny until today.
Please tell me what sense does it make to announce that you're only airing one series when you're gonna be airing all of them. Why is Titans still a DCU exclusive while HBO Max is simultaneously airing Doom Patrol? Why not announce that it was coming to HBOMAX with the season 3 renewel? Why wouldn't you put your most viewed series on your premier streaming service?

An Stargirl isn't being reworked for CW. It's the most family friendly of all the DCU shows.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Please tell me what sense does it make to announce that you're only airing one series when you're gonna be airing all of them. Why is Titans still a DCU exclusive while HBO Max is simultaneously airing Doom Patrol? Why not announce that it was coming to HBOMAX with the season 3 renewel? Why wouldn't you put your most viewed series on your premier streaming service?

An Stargirl isn't being reworked for CW. It's the most family friendly of all the DCU shows.
I'd assume they want people to renew their sub, so announcing Titans season 3 coming to HBO Max would cause even more flight. I'm curious what makes you think that they couldn't shutter DC Universe and move the what, five series they have onto HBO Max? Is there some kind of internal memo or policy I'm missing?

If Stargirl isn't being reworked, then why the delay? In fact, why lie about it?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Even if DCU is staying separate from HBO Max, DCU will only have one exclusive live action show next year, Titans season 3. Stargirl will be on CW and I guess for free on The CW app, unless they don't put that show up on there, Doom Patrol will be on HBO Max, and HBO Max is getting a Green Lantern series and the Strange Adventures show so it already has 1 more exclusive DC show than DCU with I'm sure more in development.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Even if DCU is staying separate from HBO Max, DCU will only have one exclusive live action show next year, Titans season 3. Stargirl will be on CW and I guess for free on The CW app, unless they don't put that show up on there, Doom Patrol will be on HBO Max, and HBO Max is getting a Green Lantern series and the Strange Adventures show so it already has 1 more exclusive DC show than DCU with I'm sure more in development.

Are CW shows available on the CW app free for everyone (they did verify it will be on the CW app digitally after it airs).

The thing that gets me is the one day exclusivity. That means nothing, it almost seems like a contractual obligation they had to fulfill (hey, we promised this to you subscribers, so here you go, exclusive for one day). There is absolutely no use for it to be on there unless I'm wrong and they have some kind of like uncut version.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to repost what I posted in the other thread.

This whole thing is so damn messy. WB/DC need to make clear what they're doing here with these shows and stop putting out stuff piece by piece. They already had people panicking about DC Universe after the HBO Max rollout. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason why they announced season 3 of Titans as early as they did. Last time they left people waiting for weeks if not months after season 1 finished before saying anything about a season 2. They certainly felt they needed to make an official statement at the very least because users were going crazy as to the state of DCU at the time. It looked like things were finally calming down and then they do this.

There is no damn reason why they should have waited this long to announce what they were doing with Stargirl. No way this was just decided. They've known people and outlets have been wanting to know, asking them for months what they were doing with this show. Especially after what they did to Swamp Thing.

They need to do an all encompassing announcement regarding what their DC TV plans are across the board. Lay it out all on the table for the next year or two. Everything CW, CW Seed, HBO Max, DCU, etc.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I'd assume they want people to renew their sub, so announcing Titans season 3 coming to HBO Max would cause even more flight. I'm curious what makes you think that they couldn't shutter DC Universe and move the what, five series they have onto HBO Max? Is there some kind of internal memo or policy I'm missing?

If Stargirl isn't being reworked, then why the delay? In fact, why lie about it?
If if coming to HBO Max anyway, what's the difference? It you're one of your premier series coming to your new streaming giant, you need to get as much eyes on them as possible. I'd they were so eager to shutter it, they wouldn't dick around. They'd just shutter it. And I'd assume there's some type of internal memo or policy, seeing as how they plan on keeping all these other services and only taking a portion from them.

And they haven't said anything on Stargirl so I don't know why you think they lied about something?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are CW shows available on the CW app free for everyone (they did verify it will be on the CW app digitally after it airs).

The thing that gets me is the one day exclusivity. That means nothing, it almost seems like a contractual obligation they had to fulfill (hey, we promised this to you subscribers, so here you go, exclusive for one day). There is absolutely no use for it to be on there unless I'm wrong and they have some kind of like uncut version.

yes, you don't even need a login to use the CW app

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Also, the twitter account for Stargirl is stargirl_cw, and during Crisis when Kevin introduced the Stargirl trailer and brought in Johns, they never mentioned DC Universe once.

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
Also, the twitter account for Stargirl is stargirl_cw, and during Crisis when Kevin introduced the Stargirl trailer and brought in Johns, they never mentioned DC Universe once.
Stargirl also has a DCU account, @DCUStargirl. It looks far worse than the CW one though.

CW wants you to think that this is a CW show, and clearly, it's working here.

Why would Crisis Aftermath, a CW event, mention DC Universe?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Stargirl also has a DCU account, @DCUStargirl. It looks far worse than the CW one though.

Why wouldn't they want to mention DC Universe? You'd think they would want people to subscribe to DCU too.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Why would they? DC Universe is competition for them. They're both owned by Warner but ultimately separate companies.

If this was a Warner Bros, WarnerMedia or AT&T event then sure, but it's not.

Makes no sense, though, if they want to position it as a DC Universe original and not just another CW show. Like I posted before, DC Universe's own announcement went on about how it'll be on the CW the day after and digitally as well. It just kind of shows what a red-headed stepchild DC Universe is, and how they must have left it on there with the one day exclusivity as some kind of contractual obligation or something to their customers. People keep saying it's not dead yet, but the service is barely breathing.

Lots of people are going to be up for renewal right now. If you really really like Harley Quinn (and it is great) that and comics are the only things keeping you on the service.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Speaking of

A year of DC Universe is 60 bucks until Jan 2nd... i know the future looks gloom, but still some original content and all them comics.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

I mean really ALL DC shows are now officially or unofficially DC-CW shows.
Speaking of

A year of DC Universe is 60 bucks until Jan 2nd... i know the future looks gloom, but still some original content and all them comics.

Kinda tempting. Definitely want to support for more Harley.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
I cancelled my membership once Titans ended. With Stargirl on CW, Doom Patrol on HBO, and Swamp Thing cancelled, I don't see how this service survives.

Swamp Thing was really cool too.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Speaking of

That's interesting. The monthly cost is also down to 5.99 a month, but I'm not sure when that promotion ends... if that is somehow the new price, then a year would only be 72 bucks which is less than the original annual sub (but obviously not less than the 60 offer right now).