• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New announcements from today's WonderCon

Swamp Thing debuts May 31st.

WHOA WHOA WHOA
They're transitioning from a curated style to a Marvel Unlimited style??? Ever since I switched from Moviepass to AMC A-List, I've been thinking about dropping DC Universe since the comics selection has been disappointing and I only watch the original shows.

But if this is the case, I'm staying on. WOW

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
It's about damn time they stopped messing around and add tons of more comics to the service.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
Guess I'll be subscribing again even though I dropped it less than three weeks ago.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Was here at WonderCon for the announcement. Swamp Thing looking like it has some strong horror elements going on. Really psyched about it. Supposed to take inspiration from Moore/Len Wein.
The cuts were quick but if what I think I saw was Swamp Thing, he looked like a dead pale body with roots/vines/etc on top of him? So not full on "all plant green" but maybe they're still working on the sfx?

Afterwards they showed the new episode of Young Justice due on 7/2, and gave us prize tickets for a pretty sick Doom Patrol print.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
And just in time for them to roll out their whole comic catalog, too!

I had a very open Sunday, so I wound up reading the entirety of The New Frontier, front to back. I never would've done that, if not for DC Universe. I'm thinking of digging into Dark Nights: Metal next. What other story lines are "must reads?"

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
And just in time for them to roll out their whole comic catalog, too!

I had a very open Sunday, so I wound up reading the entirety of The New Frontier, front to back. I never would've done that, if not for DC Universe. I'm thinking of digging into Dark Nights: Metal next. What other story lines are "must reads?"
Scott Snyder's run on batman is awesome, Kingdom Come, Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, All Star Superman, Red Son. anything grant morrison

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Scott Snyder's run on batman is awesome, Kingdom Come, Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, All Star Superman, Red Son. anything grant morrison
I'm sorry, I meant of the storylines currently available on the service.

I have the physical issues of Kingdom Come and All Star Superman, but it will be nice to re-read them without having to pull them out of their bag n' boards. I've been especially anxious for Kingdom Come.

Last edited:

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Today's update is absolutely massive and gets us most of the way there on pre-New 52 series. I'd imagine that next week will focus on New 52 stuff and then the following week will have Rebirth issues older than 12 months.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Today's update is absolutely massive and gets us most of the way there on pre-New 52 series. I'd imagine that next week will focus on New 52 stuff and then the following week will have Rebirth issues older than 12 months.
Yeah, I just came in here to mention that my above post has been completely invalidated by today's dump. Of course, I have already downloaded Kingdom Come and All Star Superman. 😎

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
DC Universe is my most-used subscription service by a large margin; I have thoroughly enjoyed both Titans and Doom Patrol, but the comic library keeps me hanging around. For the past few days I've been creating reading lists for storylines that I should read/want to reread. I am really looking forward to DC enriching their sorting/filtering options, which they say is being worked on.

My biggest complaint about the comic library, though, is no Vertigo. There's so much worth reading under that label, too!

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I wonder if Vertigo makes them too much money in trades to put it on DCU. There's a good 15 year run of Vertigo content (Sandman, Preacher, Y the Last Man, etc) that's pretty much comic book crack. They're pretty much always in print, aren't they?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I wonder if Vertigo makes them too much money in trades to put it on DCU. There's a good 15 year run of Vertigo content (Sandman, Preacher, Y the Last Man, etc) that's pretty much comic book crack. They're pretty much always in print, aren't they?

Maybe it's a creator thing where they have to pay extra to the creators for streaming/digital rights? I found it odd that they were removing Morrison's Animal Man right when they were adding all these comics.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's a creator thing where they have to pay extra to the creators for streaming/digital rights? I found it odd that they were removing Morrison's Animal Man right when they were adding all these comics.
They posted about it in the Community forums. I see the forums in the app, but no way to link the post directly. Effectively they are removing Animal Man because it falls under the Vertigo imprint. Which makes zero sense, since it is definitely branded "DC Comics."

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
They posted about it in the Community forums. I see the forums in the app, but no way to link the post directly. Effectively they are removing Animal Man because it falls under the Vertigo imprint. Which makes zero sense, since it is definitely branded "DC Comics."
If people are really that desperate to read the Vertigo stuff, if your library offers the Hoopla Digital service you can get them that way. Quite a few are there.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
They feel putting Vertigo and under imprints on DCU would damage their relationship with retailers

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the episode "Comfort and Joy" of Justice League tonight. I fucking love when Martian Manhuntrr is singing in the end while Streaky is on his lap.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I finished All Star Superman earlier this week and yeah, it was damned good! I think that's the first Frank Quitely pencilled comic I've read. His art style is interesting, to say the least. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong.

Now I'm tearing through The Great Darkness Saga.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The AppleTv App is so buggy it should be criminal. It never remembers where you left off. If you let the episode end and automatically start the next one, it just picks a random episode instead of playing in sequential order.

Also navigating the list of episodes for BTAS is a mess because it sometimes won't even show all the episodes.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend and I watched 2 episodes of Doom Patrol on Friday. 4K and HDR is sssooo welcome!

The AppleTv App is so buggy it should be criminal. It never remembers where you left off. If you let the episode end and automatically start the next one, it just picks a random episode instead of playing in sequential order.

Also navigating the list of episodes for BTAS is a mess because it sometimes won't even show all the episodes.
It's not just the AppleTV app that is buggy. The iOS app also has its fair share of 'em, too. The app crashes at weird times, if I create a new list the dialogue runs off the screen in Portrait mode, and loading comic thumbnails sometimes doesn't work when viewing the library or in lists.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I watched 2 episodes of Doom Patrol on Friday. 4K and HDR is sssooo welcome!

It's not just the AppleTV app that is buggy. The iOS app also has its fair share of 'em, too. The app crashes at weird times, if I create a new list the dialogue runs off the screen in Portrait mode, and loading comic thumbnails sometimes doesn't work when viewing the library or in lists.

I was binging Doom Patrol the other day-and when the episode ended, it started playing the next one. About 10 minutes in I was pretty confused, but that's normal for this show. Turns out it skipped 2 episodes and just started playing a random one.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I an idiot or does this anemic DC Universe service not have all of the modern DC Animated movies?

I was going to check out that Teen Titans vs Justice League movie.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Am I an idiot or does this anemic DC Universe service not have all of the modern DC Animated movies?

I was going to check out that Teen Titans vs Justice League movie.

It seems like they rotate movies in and out like that. FYI, it's on Hulu. That's where I watched it. I canceled my Hulu subscription and re-subscribed during that 99 cents a month for 12 months deal a while back.