• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I played the hell out of this at launch (even paid for the subscription) but lost interest when I hit the endgame. Never did go back, but I do have fond memories of joining up with some of my favorite heroes. The comics based on it (written by Marv Wolfman) are really good too.

Might download it just to get a taste of how different it's become.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Yesss! I'm in. DCUO is one of my favorite MMOs to play. The game is still pretty active on all platforms and gets a steady stream of content updates.

How's the casual leveling experience?
If it's your first time experiencing leveling, there's a lot to see and experience. Even though there's only two "zones" it has a wide variety of enemies and story arcs. Keep in mind the experience is very short lived, you can hit level cap in a day very easily. Then it's all about the gearscore and feat grind.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I played the hell out of this at launch (even paid for the subscription) but lost interest when I hit the endgame. Never did go back, but I do have fond memories of joining up with some of my favorite heroes. The comics based on it (written by Marv Wolfman) are really good too.

Might download it just to get a taste of how different it's become.
I played the game at beta on the PC many moons ago and recently went back few years ago. They changed a lot for the better and it feels and plays pretty good. Definitely one of the better MMOS out there and nothing like making your own custom super heroes.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
How's the casual leveling experience?
Been years since I played but the leveling system was trivial when I did. The game threw decent amounts of xp at you and the lv cap was really low so it never felt like a grind reaching it.

The real grind was what came afterwards. In game achievements, which the game has tons of and they affect your stats, and gear were the real roadblocks in progressing through the endgame. It was pretty fun for me, especially the crazy amount of achievements, until they went all in with the F2P aspects by introducing a paid way to get around the weekly/daily loot lockouts with real cash turning something i was enjoying into something that felt like I had to flush tons of money down the drain (on top of the endgame sub) in order to keep up with the other people around me.

If you're just playing it casually though the P2W aspect shouldn't really come into play. And if you enjoy the DC animated universe, its pretty great playing a game with so many dc characters in it and some of the voice cast from the cartoons reprising their roles in it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked the combat in DC Universe Online compared to other MMOs; watching the combo meter rise while beating up a bunch of enemies is satisfying. But I'm not sure I'd want to start all over from the beginning again.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes! Onion Terror shall live once more!!
X61mC5x.jpg

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hyped about everyone starting out at level 1 (and having names all be available day 1 again), kinda hoping they hold back the fast-track to high tier combat rating micro-transactions, but also understand wanting to offer those so veterans can do what they want to do.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Hope this starts a new trend of MMORPGs on the Switch :D

Ooohhhhhh, it would be amazing for it to be a "Available right now" E3 surprise!!

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if you'll need the switch online service to play or if it will be like Fortnite

Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn't require NSO it may be the first game I play whenever I buy a Switch. DCUO is tons of fun to just explore and enjoy the fanservice, and the action combat + customization aren't bad either.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
So I know nothing about this game, but love DC shit...

What is the gameplay loop here? Can me and the wife just both make accounts and play through all the content together like a co-op game and ignore other people?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried it about 2 years ago, at that point at least it wasn't worth getting into unless was gonna subscribe monthly, the F2P elements are so limited and gimped they barely worth playing, and even a bunch of free stuff is unplayable without paid for gear, or else you do barely any damage while some payer does all the work.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

What is the gameplay loop here? Can me and the wife just both make accounts and play through all the content together like a co-op game and ignore other people?
It plays like a combo beat em up. Loop is pretty much kill X amount of enemies 3 or 4 times then run a small instance with a miniboss or boss then repeat till you reach lv cap where the game opens up a bit more. At cap you can focus a bit more on achievements which buff your stats and run dungeon and raids with daily and weekly loot lockouts to get better gear.

You can do most of the leveling part as a duo. Theres a handful of dungeons while leveling that will require 2 other people to finish though (there's matchmaking for it). Endgame content will require you to group up with others though if you want to play through most of it, but there is some stuff that's just 2 player only.

If you want to play it as a coop game, make sure you pick the same faction and mentor. Some quest like the initial city ones are mentor specific so if you don't pick the same one you'll start with different missions. You can still group up and help each other if you pick different mentors on the same faction side, but it'll just be harder to do cause there's no open world co op UI (this might have changed, it worked that way when I played ages ago).

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

You beat people up, get new skills and loot, get stronger, and repeat.

If you and your wife are both playing, you can stick with each other basically the entire time past the tutorial. In the open world, you will see other players doing similar things to you, but you don't have to worry about getting beat up by other players or anything. When you enter specific locations during missions and activities, you will only be with people you are in a group with. So, your wife would be with you, and you wouldn't see anyone else online.

It's free, so I think you guys should give it a shot. It's pretty easy to just play the game together like you describe. I would advise that you pick the same power origin (meta, tech, magic) or maybe it's mentor, not sure how it goes right at this moment. But this just makes sure you have the same powers. You guys will be good playing just with each other until you get into some higher level stuff.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Everything I have read about this game gives the impression that the F2P model is poorly implemented. I want to give it a try, but my time is pretty limited, so I do not want to waste it.

I do throw cash into a F2P game if I enjoy it. I do not, however, like the feeling that it's pretty much a necessity for progression, which is what I am getting from this game when doing some research. It's pretty cool that more games like this are coming to the Switch, though.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what I'll roll on this when it hits. I might just go OG Ice Tank like the good ol' days, but I also want to try Atomic tanking or dps.

100% sticking to Villain side though. Heroes are lame.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
It's insane that this is happening. I wish I could bring over my character (Taylor Swift), but I'm looking forward to see what onboarding is like in 2019. I tried to log back in and play last year, but it's changed so much that I was lost. Hopefully, rolling a new toon will teach me where we're at now.

Also have a character on my PS4 but it was a low level so I won't have much trouble catching up.

But crossplay between PS4/Switch/PC would be glorious (is the game out on the Xbox also?)!

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I was hoping for FFXIV to come to switch soon because I love the idea of playing an MMO anywhere in my house, this might catch me for a little bit to scratch that itch but I'm not really into DC.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize so many folks in my discord still play this. The only thing I wished is that characters across versions could be shared

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's insane that this is happening. I wish I could bring over my character (Taylor Swift), but I'm looking forward to see what onboarding is like in 2019. I tried to log back in and play last year, but it's changed so much that I was lost. Hopefully, rolling a new toon will teach me where we're at now.

I think it might be way easier! They recently added a bunch of easy-to-read info graphics for tutorial purposes and, last time I played, it seemed like they cut back on some of the more obtuse crafting systems.

I will also say that, as someone that was a Day 0 player on PS3, it's occasionally hard to tell how much easier to understand the game actually is, versus how much I have grown as a person that plays games. Weirdly enough, games like Destiny and Monster Hunter World acted as a kind of shepherd in shaping my understanding of loot and crafting systems.

The next thing I need to wrap my head around is how people make builds that just WORK better than mine. I swear there is some kind of number crunching going on that I don't understand

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna jump in on PS4 and check out everything that's available so I can plan out my new hero accordingly.

I think I might go with Nature powers this time.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Not the MMO I was hoping to get, but it's a start.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Oh god! I saw this earlier and people were questioning its validity. I spent a good 4 years playing this on PS3/PS4 before calling it quits. You wanna talk ridiculous MTX, DCUO's got PLENTY of those now.

If this comes over to the Switch and you can link to old accounts, yeah that's going to be a lil tempting. My account is full of goodies I'd like to check out on a portable.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
More info on the official website:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

When will DCUO launch on Switch?

DCUO will launch on Switch in Summer 2019. Check back soon for more specific launch dates.

Will my account or characters transfer from other platforms to Switch?
No. Players will connect to DCUO using their Nintendo Accounts, which will not be linked to existing accounts.

Will DCUO on Switch be free-to-play?
Yes. As on other platforms, DCUO will be free-to-play on Switch.

Will DCUO on Switch allow crossplay?
DCUO will launch on Switch with a brand-new, fresh server, separate from all other communities. We look forward to exploring crossplay options in the future.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmmm could be fun. Would either have to do speedster or ice(or is tech an option?)