• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
via Nintendoeverything:

DC Universe Online is a Free-to-Play, massive multiplayer online action game set in the popular DC Comics universe. Become one of a new breed of Heroes or Villains and wield incredible powers as you go to war with legendary characters such as Batman, Superman, Lex Luthor and The Joker.

Key Features
– Fast-paced action combat where you control every blow your character strikes.
– Choose your side – Hero or Villain – and customize your character on its path to becoming a legend in the DC Universe.
– Fight alongside and against your favorite DC characters including Batman, The Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn and many more.
– Embark on story-driven adventures penned by famous DC Comics writers including Geoff Johns and Marv Wolfman.
– Explore the DC Universe; walk the darkened streets of Gotham City, investigate the mysteries of the futuristic cityscape of Metropolis, and travel to legendary locations such as Arkham Asylum and the Watchtower.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had no idea this was still a thing. Cool I guess.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Was about to make a thread about this!

Whaaaaaat?? I thought this was a Sony game lol

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I expected the next announcement about this game to be it getting pulled offline. Happy to see it still alive.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Huh, saw someone talking about this the other day.. Weird.

Anyway, an MMO on Switch is definitely welcome, though I haven't played this particular one since PC launch. I wonder how different it is now.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cool, never played it but heard good things

Ultimate Alliance 3 and DCU Online, the summer of cape shit!

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when I bought a PS3 just to play this game and then I never bought it. Maaaaaybe now I'll try it.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was following someone on Twitch before and she was mostly a DC Universe Online streamer. There are definitely some of them out there.

Curious how the Switch community will form around this.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I haven't played this in years but I love that this is happening.
I often randomly wonder how many years it has left. I thought it was legit near done tbh, ready to quietly go into the night. Glad it's still kicking even though I don't know that I'll jump back in myself.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked Daybreak is still investing in the game. I figured with the license fees and the game nearly being a decade old now they would be ready to sunset it by now and move on to other things, but guess the company really doesn't have much going for itself ever since Sony sold them and they canned EQ Next.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Ok this was something i did not expect at all to be coming to Switch.

I thought about it recently and wondered if its still has a user base. With coming to Switch for sure has now.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I haven't played this in years but I love that this is happening.
I often randomly wonder how many years it has left. I thought it was legit near done tbh, ready to quietly go into the night. Glad it's still kicking even though I don't know that I'll jump back in myself.

I remember when Marvel Heroes was ported to the PS4 as a last gasp effort before it was completely shut down out of the blue.

So do we have anyone that actually plays this now? Is it any fun?

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Haha, I remember downloading this on my PS4 back when I had a horrible broadband connection, had to leave the console on overnight and it still hadn't finished in the morning! Makes me wonder what the filesize will be here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Is this the first MMO released on Switch that's not Japan only?
It's taken long enough

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've always been intrigued by DCUO, but more because I have nostalgia for City of Heroes and even Champions Online. I'm gonna guess it's not as well regarded as the former?

Cool that it's heading to Switch though, and it's probably old enough to run pretty smoothly, you'd hope.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was the app, so was going to recommend that everyone watches Doom Patrol on it.

It's not but I still recommend watching Doom Patrol, it might be on your local Netflix next week anyway.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I still play DCUO casually and have a real soft spot for it.

The game has made strides in being way more accessible (even cut down on a lot of confusing crafting systems), but creating a build that works for post-game is still, at least it was last time I checked, a bit of a nightmare. You really need to figure out the min-max of it all and there aren't a lot of updated online resources to help you too much.

If this runs well on Switch (which I have my doubts about) I could see myself getting a lot of mileage out of it. Every time I jump back into DCUO I get a little better at understanding it all.

RedWolfe

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I definitely thought this game got shuttered...

Cool for those who are interested, though. I believe the first and last time I played it was the PS3 open beta? Wasn't feeling it but hey options are good.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The game has made strides in being way more accessible (even cut down on a lot of confusing crafting systems), but creating a build that works for post-game is still, at least it was last time I checked, a bit of a nightmare. You really need to figure out the min-max of it all and there aren't a lot of updated online resources to help you too much.

How's the casual leveling experience?

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How's the casual leveling experience?

Fun and can actually get challenging! Unlocking new powers and abilities as you level is a good time, but the game is what it is and if you don't find the combat or DC stuff stimulating enough then you might get bored.

The leveling experience really shines when playing with a friend because you're just in it together and extremely helpful to one another.

If it's your first time through, I think you'll be impressed by all the different locations, enemies, powers and customization that the game offers. I know I really love finding new loot and seeing if I like the style it comes with.

Oh this game has a really good style system that I wish all games had. Basically once you pick up loot, you earn its look and can put that look on your character whenever you want!