• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Read all of these yesterday.

The only real problem I have is Cassandra Cain being too chipper and talkative, but that's not really bleeding too hard into the comic as a negative and comparatively she's much more quiet than the rest of the extroverted cast, so it manages to strike a fine balance between Cass as a natural part of the goofy domestic comedy, and then later on it starts putting more emphasis on her social isolation. Mostly, I'm just really happy that there's a Batman work that's aggressively putting Cass as Bruce's daughter, considering how often she gets neglected.

The ESL storyline of Cass's first solo run is burned into my brain. I know they had to get her up to speed at some point so the IRL writers could actually pontificate, but I feel kind of lost a bit of nuance as a character generally afterwards (not that I've kept up).

It's great to have her in focus on something again.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I would love to see these as proper animated shorts... one day maybe...

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
LOL

The latest chapter is wonderful. Of course Bruce has been so spoiled by Alfred that he never learned how to dress himself. Great use of the JL too.

www.webtoons.com

Batman: Wayne Family Adventures - Ep. 38 - S.O.S.

Batman needs a break. But with new vigilante Duke Thomas moving into Wayne Manor and an endless supply of adopted, fostered, and biological superhero children to manage, Bruce Wayne is going to have his hands full. Being a father can't be harder than being Batman, right?

Last edited:

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I remember I was worried when the concept art was first released and they had nothing for Tim. The creative team has done right by every character featured in the series. As one of the commenters notes, this strip references Tim's time during his solo Red Robin comic (which by the way was very good!).

That said, I hope we get more Luke soon. I also wonder if they'll ever use Jace.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I remember I was worried when the concept art was first released and they had nothing for Tim. The creative team has done right by every character featured in the series. As one of the commenters notes, this strip references Tim's time during his solo Red Robin comic (which by the way was very good!).

That said, I hope we get more Luke soon. I also wonder if they'll ever use Jace.

Luke has done nothing so far except for a voiceless cameo, a single page full of dialogue, and here he played a generic role anyone could've done. Honestly Luke and Duke feel so generic and bland in this especially Duke as he is nothing but the new guy. They need to be used WAY better.

I doubt they'll use Jace.

Also yes the Red Robin series is the GOAT run.

And eh on using characters. I think the series is based on fanon interpretions a bit too much. Like Tim complaining about Dick not spending time with him is flat out inconsistent with both of them and their history, Dick being the one to set boundaries in his relationship with Bruce and be the one the mend the fences/changes and in Steph's arc, it said she wanted to prove she wasn't her dad when she first started out, but she never ever wanted to prove she was not like her dad.

On another note glad Damian and Dick are dark-skinned but I wish the series would dwelve more into their heritage. Like Dick explicity tying into his Romani roots and Damian doing things such as speaking Arabic or wearing this:

DecOIztV0AUeSjV

Also this is just a personal pet peeve and pettiness but no Timsteph in WFA has me like this:

GRc1PB6.png

Well at least there's a chance for DickKory.....

Last edited:

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Luke has done nothing so far except for a voiceless cameo, a single page full of dialogue, and here he played a generic role anyone could've done. Honestly Luke and Duke feel so generic and bland in this especially Duke as he is nothing but the new guy. They need to be used WAY better.

I doubt they'll use Jace.

Also yes the Red Robin series is the GOAT run.

And eh on using characters. I think the series is based on fanon interpretions a bit too much. Like Tim complaining about Dick not spending time with him is flat out inconsistent with both of them and their history, Dick being the one to set boundaries in his relationship with Bruce and be the one the mend the fences/changes and in Steph's arc, it said she wanted to prove she wasn't her dad when she first started out, but she never ever wanted to prove she was not like her dad.

On another note glad Damian and Dick are dark-skinned but I wish the series would dwelve more into their heritage. Like Dick explicity tying into his Romani roots and Damian doing things such as speaking Arabic or wearing this:

DecOIztV0AUeSjV

Also this is just a personal pet peeve and pettiness but no Timsteph in WFA has me like this:

GRc1PB6.png

Well at least there's a chance for DickKory.....
Honestly, yeah I did think that Tim and Dick story was a bit weird. Like Tim just seems too old to be acting like that, would have made more sense if it was Damian who had the issue. And yeah, I think thy should do more with Duke, there is so little comic history with him they could stand to be a bit more creative with stuff focusing on him. Also I like idea of exploring Damian and Dick's heritage.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Honestly, yeah I did think that Tim and Dick story was a bit weird. Like Tim just seems too old to be acting like that, would have made more sense if it was Damian who had the issue. And yeah, I think thy should do more with Duke, there is so little comic history with him they could stand to be a bit more creative with stuff focusing on him. Also I like idea of exploring Damian and Dick's heritage.

Dick always makes time for Tim. The only time they had a falling out was when he became Batman and made Damian Robin not Tim because he viewed Tim as an equal. And even then he was always trying to check up on Tim and saved Tim and Tim said he knew Dick would. So that episode felt so bizarre.

I also felt the episode with Cass and Steph was also weird. As it was like a trivial thing but it was blown out of proportion and they were too old to be getting upset over something like that or dwelling on it too much.

Duke at this point is just the generic new guy to highlight the others but has no real agency of his own. I don't even think he has used his powers or alluded to them. They could focus on how Duke is a daytime vigilante and how that contrast to the rest.

Here's my Duke pitch. Duke is is supposed to operate in the day and tie that into being a symbol of inspiration. What I want is for Jace to appear and he and Duke talk about being inspirations and with visual cues focusing on POC so it gets the intention clearly but without having to say it. But that won't happen.

With Damian and Dick like I said glad they are visually represented but being honest I don't think most people even know what Dick is supposed to be and what Damian is aside from being ambigously brown (based on how the Al Ghuls have always been treated as vaguely foreign with no specifications so they can keep casting white people as them). So exploring their heritage in a casual way would be a good way to highlight this.

Also just a question as you seem to have access to the fast pass:

I heard in Tim's story he does mention his dating history, but is Steph included in it?

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Also just a question as you seem to have access to the fast pass:

I heard in Tim's story he does mention his dating history, but is Steph included in it?
I'd have to check but I don't think so
Edit: I double checked but
it just mentions that he dated girls before and that he feels he always messed up in the relationship. Steph is never implied

Last edited:

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I'd have to check but I don't think so
Edit: I double checked but
it just mentions that he dated girls before and that he feels he always messed up in the relationship. Steph is never implied

Is it implied he felt messed up because they were girls or something else like his personality.
And so they really are throwing his relationship with Steph under the bus, huh.

Please tell me things don't magically work out with Bernard and it is implied he is the "one".

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Is it implied he felt messed up because they were girls or something else like his personality.
And so they really are throwing his relationship with Steph under the bus, huh.

Please tell me things don't magically work out with Bernard and it is implied he is the "one".
Its only been covered in two chapters and they are going on a date. Its not really presented as the "one", but as the start of a longer relationship.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Its only been covered in two chapters and they are going on a date. Its not really presented as the "one", but as the start of a longer relationship.

Okay. Hope I didn't come across as too negative or was implying something sketchy or offensive (still don't like him and feel he is a mary sue. I find it absurd he appeared before Jace Fox).

Well I guess this will be me now:

family-guy-sinking-ship.gif

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.webtoons.com

Batman: Wayne Family Adventures - Ep. 40 - Better and Brighter (1/2)

Batman needs a break. But with new vigilante Duke Thomas moving into Wayne Manor and an endless supply of adopted, fostered, and biological superhero children to manage, Bruce Wayne is going to have his hands full. Being a father can't be harder than being Batman, right?
Good thing they didn't show something unchristian in my wholesome christian comic

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
www.webtoons.com

Batman: Wayne Family Adventures - Ep. 42 - Unbelievable

The Bruce Wayne in his natural enviorment:

3224.png

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Oh my god, Slice of Life Batman is something I never knew I needed.

Not familiar with the more extended stuff beyond the Robins but I love everyone already. This needs to be animated.

Or made into a game somehow.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Having thought this through more, the way WFA uses the black characters is really dissapointing. Duke is the supposed "protag" but he is just bland and generic and used as a springboard to highlight other characters and the world. All of his episodes follow the same pattern of him struggling with an issue, someone comes in to show how they handle it which fleshes them out more and so on. Nothing essential from the comics about him is shown like his powers, daytime protector, etc and it's been 41 episodes. Nothing going deeper into his character like they did with others like Steph in her two parter. They didn't even release concept art for him but did for Batwoman, a side character. It's like they made Duke a false protag as an excuse not do anything with him.

Luke Fox has only appeared rarely and done nothing eithe. Voiceless cameo, 1 page line, and then another where like Duke he was just bland and generic and contrasted with Tim to highlight him. He hasn't even suited up yet or even appeared on an episode title while Batwoman has and a side character has. C'mon.

Jace hasn't even been hinted at or shown up and again a side character appeared before him.

I know WFA is based on how the fanon views the Batfamily but if this is how they treat the black members that is not a good look.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Not going to lie, this is actually why I dropped it around Ep. 20 or so. It started becoming apparent Duke really wasn't getting the same love as the rest of the crew as he started to ease into the background.

I can say it hasn't gotten better since then. Like I said it's telling they released concept art for a side character like Batwoman who has only appeared like 4 times but not for Duke the supposed 'protag'.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Having thought this through more, the way WFA uses the black characters is really dissapointing. Duke is the supposed "protag" but he is just bland and generic and used as a springboard to highlight other characters and the world. All of his episodes follow the same pattern of him struggling with an issue, someone comes in to show how they handle it which fleshes them out more and so on. Nothing essential from the comics about him is shown like his powers, daytime protector, etc and it's been 41 episodes. Nothing going deeper into his character like they did with others like Steph in her two parter. They didn't even release concept art for him but did for Batwoman, a side character. It's like they made Duke a false protag as an excuse not do anything with him.

Luke Fox has only appeared rarely and done nothing eithe. Voiceless cameo, 1 page line, and then another where like Duke he was just bland and generic and contrasted with Tim to highlight him. He hasn't even suited up yet or even appeared on an episode title while Batwoman has and a side character has. C'mon.

Jace hasn't even been hinted at or shown up and again a side character appeared before him.

I know WFA is based on how the fanon views the Batfamily but if this is how they treat the black members that is not a good look.
Wished they did more with him, have they even mentioned his powers yet? I know he is one of the newer additions to the batfamily but that should make it easier to be more creative with him. There is not a lot on his history or relationships with the other members of the Batfamily. They should do something with that, they have a blank slate to do whatever they want with him.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Wished they did more with him, have they even mentioned his powers yet? I know he is one of the newer additions to the batfamily but that should make it easier to be more creative with him. There is not a lot on his history or relationships with the other members of the Batfamily. They should do something with that.

I mean they included Bernard a side character before they mentioned Duke's powers or his role as a daytime protector, and tried to something meaningful with Bernard for Pride Month. They even were innovative with Tim and Kate's relationship for said issue. This shows they could be innovative with Duke and have no excuse.

The answer is they just don't care about him. Or Luke (again Bernard, a side character to a sidekick appeared in an episode title before him.)

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I can say it hasn't gotten better since then. Like I said it's telling they released concept art for a side character like Batwoman who has only appeared like 4 times but not for Duke the supposed 'protag'.
Right, the first episode makes it seem like we are mostly going to be seeing things through Duke's eyes. There should be more of the other the characters learning about Duke just as much as he learns about them, and that's just not what we are getting.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Right, the first episode makes it seem like we are mostly going to be seeing things through Duke's eyes. There should be more of the other the characters learning about Duke just as much as he learns about them, and that's just not what we are getting.

They might as well as made Duke the black best friend and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, Duke has never really seems like a priority for DC. It feels like they've teased the idea of him being the next Robin but got scared off from that because they didn't want to upset a bunch of racists.

Also, Duke desperately needs a new costume and weapon ASAP.

Also also, with regards to the Tim & Dick story line, I think it's more of a reaction to how they're dynamic was significantly reduced once Damian came around and DC comics rebooted their entire mainline universe. And I can't say I'll ever agree with how Tim was fired by Dick. There's no way Dick would do to Tim what Bruce to him. Dick more than anyone else would've wanted to redefine Batman and Robin as equals and that's exactly what could've happened if he and Tim were the Dynamic Duo. That said, I can understand why DC didn't want that sort of dynamic, but it shouldn't have come at the cost of Dick's own ideals.

Last edited:

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah, Duke has never really seems like a priority for DC. It feels like they've teased the idea of him being the next Robin but got scared off from that because they didn't want to upset a bunch of racists.

Also, Duke desperately needs a new costume and weapon ASAP.

Also also, with regards to the Tim & Dick story line, I think it's more of a reaction to how they're dynamic was significantly reduced once Damian came around and DC comics rebooted their entire mainline universe. And I can't say I'll ever agree with how Tim was fired by Dick. There's no way Dick would do to Tim what Bruce to him. Dick more than anyone else would've wanted to redefine Batman and Robin as equals and that's exactly what could've happened if he and Tim were the Dynamic Duo. That said, I can understand why DC didn't want that sort of dynamic, but it shouldn't have come at the cost of Dick's own ideals.

Damian is middle eastern and the current Robin though, but then again he is often whitewashed and his heritage is downplayed.

I mean with regards to Dick and Tim, the thing is Damian needed guidance and it would be the best way to honor Bruce. Also it's not like Dick told Tim to piss off. He still wanted to work with him and stay in Gotham. Plus later on Dick saved Tim from Ra's and Tim said he trusted Dick would showing they patched things up. Fanon like to exagerrate the thing more than it was

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Damian is middle eastern and the current Robin though, but then again he is often whitewashed and his heritage is downplayed.
Yeah, Damian's heritage is downplayed so often that I don't think the majority of people know his heritage. It doesn't help that Ra's al Ghul was most notably played by Liam Neeson and Matthew Nable.

On the topic of Ra's al Ghul, his background can be a bit muddied and hard to figure out. Despite the fact that he's supposed to be Chinese, they almost never play up that aspect of his heritage. In fact, the only time I can remember is a brief period when Dustin Nguyen would draw him with traditional Chinese attire.

Unfortunately, DC is pretty terrible with regards to keeping track of and highlighting many of it's character's ethnicity and race.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah, Damian's heritage is downplayed so often that I don't think the majority of people know his heritage. It doesn't help that Ra's al Ghul was most notably played by Liam Neeson and Matthew Nable.

On the topic of Ra's al Ghul, his background can be a bit muddied and hard to figure out. Despite the fact that he's supposed to be Chinese, they almost never play up that aspect of his heritage. In fact, the only time I can remember is a brief period when Dustin Nguyen would draw him with traditional Chinese attire.

Unfortunately, DC is pretty terrible with regards to keeping track of and highlighting many of it's character's ethnicity and race.

Yep, that is so true. I mean really in light of how stigmatized Middle Eastern people were a Middle Eastern Robin should've been more of a bigger deal. Damian got attention to mainly being Bruce's son and that is what is mainly focused on.

The Al Ghuls have always been portrayed as vaguely foreign to allow for white actors to play them honestly. Recently Damian and Talia have been drawn with darker skin but that tends to vary depending on the artist and issue.

I'm glad WFA has a dark skinned Damian but I don't really think they will ever fully explore him being Middle Eastern/Chinese and just keep him as "brown" without specifying. I mean how fun would an episode be where Damian has international day at school and is trying to represent all of his heritages?