• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The Batman" details:
There had been chatter that the entire film would unfold in Arkham Asylum, the high-security prison known to comic book fans for housing super-criminals, but that is not the case, according to insiders. Only a handful of scenes will be set at Arkham. If the movie works, Warner Bros. and DC believe that any of these villains could headline their own spinoff movies. Key cast members in both "The Batman" and "Birds of Prey" have contract options to appear in sequels and standalone films.

On Superman's future:

The studio has less clarity on what to do with Superman, a character who has now been rebooted two different times in the last 13 years, once with Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns") and later with Henry Cavill ("Man of Steel") without landing on a winning strategy. Superman has also appeared frequently on television, in shows such as "Lois and Clark" and "Smallville," which has led to some fears at Warners that the market could be over-saturated with hot takes on all things Clark Kent.
To help find a way to make Superman relevant to modern audiences, studio brass has been polling lots of high-profile talent. There have been discussions with J.J. Abrams, whose company Bad Robot recently signed a massive first-look deal with the studio, and there was a meeting with Michael B. Jordan earlier this year with the "Creed" star pitching Warners on a vision for the character. However, Jordan isn't ready to commit to taking on the project since filming doesn't seem likely to happen for several years and he has a full dance card of projects. Insiders think that a new Superman film is unlikely to hit screens before 2023, given that there's no script and no director attached.
On future projects:
Beyond embracing the darker undercurrents of the DC canon, the company is also revisiting characters that they believe were ill-served by previous big screen adventures. "Green Lantern Corps" remains a priority despite the fact that 2011's "Green Lantern" was a high-profile commercial disaster. Johns is delivering a script at the end of the year. The project may be presented to Abrams and Bad Robot to see if the company would be interested in producing the picture. However, Greg Berlanti, another major talent on the Warner lot, is partnering with Johns on a "Green Lantern" television show. There's speculation that relationship could lead to his involvement in a feature film.

Warners and DC also still have faith in Ezra Miller's smart-ass interpretation of the Flash and are proceeding with development on a standalone film based on the character. DC has tapped "It" director Andy Muschietti to oversee the movie and has enlisted Christina Hodson ("Bumblebee") to write the screenplay — Hodson will finish that assignment that before moving on to write a screenplay for "Batgirl." Production on "The Flash" won't be able to start until Miller finishes up work on the next "Fantastic Beasts" film, which means that cameras are unlikely to roll until 2021.

DC is also looking to capitalize on the box office success of "Aquaman." It is currently looking for a director for "The Trench," a spinoff about a group of vicious undersea creatures who played a supporting role in "Aquaman." For the next film centered on Jason Momoa's king of Atlantis, DC has once again tapped James Wan and is hoping to commence shooting in early 2021.
On the fabled Snyder Cut:
There are currently no plans to release a Snyder version either in theaters or on HBO Max.
"That's a pipe dream," said one knowledgeable insider. "There's no way it's ever happening."
On R-rated films:
Under Hamada and Emmerich, the studio has become more comfortable with backing comic book movies for adults. "Joker" became the first DC release to nab an R rating, but it won't be the last. "Birds of Prey" is also expected to get a similar rating and insiders predict that James Gunn's upcoming "Suicide Squad" sequel will also be R-rated. In the case of "Birds of Prey," the film won't be in the pitch-black, grim vein of "Joker." Insiders describe the film has a more humorous, spirited, girl gang adventure, albeit not one for younger children. A series of recent reshoots dramatically improved test screening results and the studio is confident "Birds of Prey" will be a hit when it opens in February.

On HBO Max shows:
DC's future won't unfold entirely on the big screen. HBO Max, WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming service, is currently looking for DC properties that could inspire films to premiere on its platform. It hopes to make DC adventures that have slightly lower budgets, requiring them to rely on up-and-coming actors and not established stars, with a goal of keeping production costs under $65 million.

TL;DR:
- Spinoffs a la Birds of Prey could be happening for some of the cast of "The Batman".
- Superman will be rebooted with tentative talks with Michael B. Jordan as Supes and J.J. Abrams ot direct.
- Films in the immediate to near future include: The Flash, The Trench (Aquaman spin-off), Aquaman 2, and Green Lantern Corps.
- No Snyder cut.
- "The Suicide Squad" expected to get an R-rating.
- HBO Max DCEU shows will be a thing, looking at relative unknowns and want to keep budgets under $65MM

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Colin Farrel as The Penguin?

Guessing they're going with a sleazy street punk version from like the Telltale games.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
81a0sd2busml94j2t.jpg

come on guys it's not hard

i'll be dead by 2023

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone expand on WHY the Snyder Cut releasing is a pipe dream? I feel like it would make them money. Why such a choke hold on it?

Edit: - It been explained to me. Thank you!

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I haven't read it in a few years but isn't All Star Superman really comic-booky, as in, even though it doesn't strictly follow along tightly with specific continuity, there's a lot of stuff that the reader has to kind of either know or assume from comic books that I'm not sure would work in a faithful movie adaptation. Not that I want yet another Superman origin story.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Can someone expand on WHY the Snyder Cut releasing is a pipe dream? I feel like it would make them money. Why such a choke hold on it?

Why would it make them money? Assuming there's a ton of post production that needs to go into whatever extra scenes and that they don't have to try to get people to come in to record new scenes, that seems like a lot of work. I always thought the people advocating for a Snyder cut were a vocal minority. I doubt they could even release it unfinished like the Donner cut of Superman 2 and make people happy.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Finishing it is probably take a lot of money.
Having a movie in the can is very different of having a movie ready to be released, specially a VFX heavy movie like JL

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

Logistically, however, there's little appetite at the studio for spending the millions of dollars it would require to finish visual effects and editing work on Snyder's version, particularly as "Justice League" was a commercial disaster.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they're still trying to make Ezra Flash happen. Ugh.

Its like if Spider-Man was just annoying instead of charming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically...
Logistically, however, there's little appetite at the studio for spending the millions of dollars it would require to finish visual effects and editing work on Snyder's version, particularly as "Justice League" was a commercial disaster.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Michael B. Jordon should be John Stewart Green Lantern imo. That'd be perfect for him.

is Warner still having issues with Superman?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
WB set the bar really low for Superman so I'm pretty much open to recasting and starting over to get a Superman that isn't a violent lunatic.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see MBJ as Superman but a black superman is really cool, I think it's because he's so intense and snarky as Killmonger that I trouble picturing him as the complete opposite. I can see Henry Goulding as superman too if they're willing to hire an asain superman.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
JJ would make a good Superman film.

He would throw a ton of nostalgia in there but I don't think that would be a bad thing after Snyder went edgy with the character.

People like Captain America, they'll like wholesome Superman.

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I'm all in for a Green Lantern series on HBOMax. I think it's a concept that would play on TV far better than it would on the big screen. If done right, a film would work, but I think the TV series is a smarter bet.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Superman. Michael B Jordan is a terrific actor, but at the same time Henry Cavill recently indicated in the Men's Journal interview that he hadn't hung up the cape just yet and that he might possibly play Superman another time.

In reference to the Snyder Cut, methinks certain segments of the media doth protest too much. I think we'll see it eventually in some capacity (whether 100% complete or not) as an HBOMax exclusive. Too many high profile people involved with the original project are beating the drum on social media for it to be just a fan campaign. Mind you, I don't believe that Snyder's cut of Justice League will be a huge step up from Whedon's abysmal theatrical cut, but I think it'll be fascinating to watch and compare the two when (or if) it ever comes out.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, MBJ as Supes would be amazing.

On the other hand, DC still refusing to acknowledge the PoC heroes they have is annoying as fuck.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, Michael B Jordan would be a great Superman. And the tears that would ensue would be the best-tasting outrage tears EVER.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't understand how it's this hard to make a Superman movie. Maybe if Pa Kent wasn't such a jack ass in Man of Steel Clark could have turned out a better hero.

If Michael B Jordsn gets to play Superman and it is successfulI'm going to start thinking that playing the Human Torch is some trial by fire challenge before being cast in pivotal hero roles. Much like Evans.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My problem with MBJ as Superman is that you have to change his entire story. It would make for a compelling story, sure, but it would be a completely different story, it would have to. His upbringing, his outlook on life, even his status as the premiere superhero of the world would be completely different. And like I said before, we already have that with Icon.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
MBJ being superman only works if they all in. A black kid in kansas is a lot different than a white kid in kansas

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
81a0sd2busml94j2t.jpg

come on guys it's not hard

i'll be dead by 2023
I haven't read it in a few years but isn't All Star Superman really comic-booky, as in, even though it doesn't strictly follow along tightly with specific continuity, there's a lot of stuff that the reader has to kind of either know or assume from comic books that I'm not sure would work in a faithful movie adaptation. Not that I want yet another Superman origin story.
All Star Superman would be way more expensive than WB would agree to spend on a Superman film

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Releasing the Snyder Cut implies spending additional millions of dollars on a movie that was an abject commercial and critical disaster.