• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Per Variety

"The black clothes represent Hong Kong, the mask represents Hong Kong, the Molotov cocktail represents Hong Kong, what else here doesn't represent Hong Kong???" wrote one angry Weibo commenter. Another chimed in: "No matter what the reason, to put an image like this up at a sensitive time like this means you have a death wish."

It sort of seems like a case of when you're a hammer the whole world looks like nails.

Edit: I think this is the cover of the series being complained about (not the poster that was tweeted).

dark-knight-returns-cover.webp

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
In other words, Batman will soon be banned in China.

Also, this cant' be posted enough: fuck the CPC.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why these awful companies keep appeasing China but it won't last forever. I can easily see China banning all Western entertainment companies in the future and they'll be shit out of luck.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Did Frank Miller draw that? Considering the quality of his art these past few years that's actually a winner for once.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China: How dare Superman fight for the weak and powerless! He should be crushing them underfoot and taking their organs!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's a peculiar art style, not a fan to be honest. Is it just the cover or is the entire comic drawn like this?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I dont get it

How does any of that imagery represent Hong Kong?

If I were to see that for the first time elsewhere, I would be like "Oh its a new Batman design" and wouldnt think anything else more than that lol.

May 24, 2019
That's a Batwoman, not Batman.

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: THE GOLDEN CHILD #1
written by FRANK MILLER
art and cover by RAFAEL GRAMPA
Frank Miller returns to the Dark Knight Universe!
It's been three years since the events of Dark Knight III: The Master Race. Lara has spent the time learning to be more human, and Carrie Kelley has been growing into her new role as Batwoman. But a terrifying evil has returned to Gotham City, and Lara and Carrie must team up to stop this growing threat—and they have a secret weapon. Young Jonathan Kent, "the golden child," has a power inside of him unlike anything the world has ever seen, and it's about to be unleashed...
Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child is Frank Miller's triumphant return to the world of the Dark Knight and joining him is the superstar artist Rafael Grampá, the mastermind behind the groundbreaking Mesmo Delivery. Following work in advertising and film, this incredible collaboration marks Grampá's first comics work in six years, bringing his extraordinary detail and storytelling to the Dark Knight saga, resulting in a Dark Knight story like nothing you've ever seen before.

ONE-SHOT
PRESTIGE FORMAT
ON SALE 12.11.19
$5.99 US | 48 PAGES
FC | DC BLACK LABEL

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It was posted on DC Comics' Twitter and Instagram accounts; both platforms are blocked in mainland China.
Doesn't get any more spineless than to kowtow and remove something they shouldn't even be able to see in the first place. Nationalists looking for reasons to throw their weight around in places with internet that actually lets them browse what they want? Screw them and Beijing.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sounds like a case of when you think everything is about you. But isn't.

Fuck the Chinese government

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i dunno TDK Batman used chinese surveillance tech to spy on gotham lol
That's why I said "unless he's in charge" lol. The only total surveillance governments that he allows are the ones that he's in control of, like TDK, or his super chair, or Kingdom Come Batman who just hangs out and sends robots to do shit.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I dont get it

How does any of that imagery represent Hong Kong?

If I were to see that for the first time elsewhere, I would be like "Oh its a new Batman design" and wouldnt think anything else more than that lol.

This is the country that banned Winnie the Pooh in his entirety, over a tame little meme comparing him to Xi. Authoritarian dictatorships can't allow any room for anything the least bit subversive, cause they only maintain their control over the populace by maintaining control over everything in their lives - including the media they consume.

Dec 2, 2017
Doesn't get any more spineless than to kowtow and remove something they shouldn't even be able to see in the first place. Nationalists looking for reasons to throw their weight around in places with internet that actually lets them browse what they want? Screw them and Beijing.

Era mods changed the NBA thread title from 'Mao Zebron' because someone complained that it was "racist."

The title was a reference to the fact that Lebron James stood up for NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick when he was costing NFL owners money ( Kaepernick was kneeling during the US national anthem at the beginning of NFL games to support Black Lives Matter which annoyed right wing fans). But Lebron suddenly wanted Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey punished when he stood up for Hong Kong and started costing Lebron and the NBA Chinese sneaker money.

So there's a lot of spinelessness to go around.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Chinese nationalists like most extreme nationalists get triggered at anything. DC shouldn't have listened to the extremists.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
What the fuck.
PS: the poster is super cool. Is it Miller who drew it?

Edit: no, I'm stupid, it's signed right there. Props to GrampĂ 

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't go by that, they go by CCP.
They call themselves CPC in all official English publications, this is also what English media from the mainland use and as a result, most English speaking Chinese people.
CCP is a name it was given to in the west during the cold war, and pretty much all reporting and writing from the era used that term, some people still stick with it today, but the Chinese communist party most certainly goes by CPC.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I'm all for 'fuck the CPC' when it comes to human rights, but if they're getting death threats (as suggested in OP), I'm okay with it being taken down. I need more context before I start shitting on DC.