• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.syfy.com

DC Comics announces brand-new Asian superhero and more for AAPI-driven 'Festival of Heroes' special

In celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, DC's dropping a brand-new 100-page special led by a new Asian superhero character.
Next month, in celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, DC Comics will release DC Festival of Heroes, a massive celebration of the company's AAPI heroes led by some of their top AAPI creators. Today, the publishers revealed more details about the 100-page anthology special, including the launch of a brand-new superhero from two of DC's very best creators.

Festival of Heroes will feature the debut of The Monkey Prince, a Chinese mythology-inspired new superhero created by writer Gene Luen Yang (Superman Smashes the Klan, New Super-Man) and artist Bernard Chang (Teen Titans, Batman Beyond). The character will launch in a 12-page original story within Festival of Heroes titled "The Monkey Prince Hates Superheroes," in which Monkey Prince will both face off against and team-up with DC's Shazam! in a battle that also include Doctor Sivana and a Chinese deer demon.

To mark the announcement of this new Asian superhero, DC also dropped character designs for Monkey Prince and another character from his story, Shifu Pigsy, along with Jim Lee and Alex Sinclair's ensemble cover for Festival of Heroes.
170103554_4401620279868132_635611649311984646_n.jpg

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be a drive-by post if I said "thank goodness Marvel has Shang Chi to push?"

Because that is my very first and most honest reaction.

That's also my only possible reaction, as I'm not Asian. More specifically, I'm not Chinese.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool, but in the spirit of being a comics fan, I want more of the thing I know I like instead of a new thing. In other words: more Kenan Kong, please.

But also I will be checking this out. Yang is a great talent.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is cool, but in the spirit of being a comics fan, I want more of the thing I know I like instead of a new thing. In other words: more Kenan Kong, please.

But also I will be checking this out. Yang is a great talent.
there will be a story featuring Kenan

"Hawke & Kong" – Writer Greg Pak and artist Sumit Kumar team up on a story spotlighting the return of onetime Green Arrow Connor Hawke and Kong Kenan, also known as New Super-Man. Connor and Kenan need to do some quick thinking when a gift for Connor's Korean aunt gets damaged in a battle with a dragon!
www.dccomics.com

DC Festival of Heroes Introduces Monkey Prince! | DC

NEW DETAILS REVEALED FOR DC FESTIVAL OF HEROES: THE ASIAN SUPERHERO CELEBRATION

Jan 27, 2019
Just do more Justice League of China, that was good stuff

Edit: Canonising Tai Pham in the main DC universe is awesome if they're doing this.

"Dress Code" – Green Lantern Tai Pham makes his first comic book debut in this story by Green Lantern: Legacy writer Minh Lê with artist Trung Le Nguyen. Green Lantern is fighting with Arkillo, and the villain taunts him for his costume "looking like a dress." This reminds Tai of a memory with his dead grandmother who he inherited his powers from."

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Gene Luen Yang is a good writer, so that bodes well.

BTW, speaking of AAPI heroes (and this author), I've been reading and enjoying the new Shang-Chi series. It's good stuff.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Gene Luen Yang means I'm reading. Also glad for more Kenan.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, he seems like he's getting positioned as a Chinese equivalent to Shazam - invoking the power of Sun Wukong, presumably - which honestly, could kinda work? Sage Equal to Heaven vs Mightiest Mortal, etc. If it gives off Monkie Kid vibes at all, I'm in

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always glad to get more diversity but was hoping for something a little more interesting than Journey to the West for the thousandth time.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be a drive-by post if I said "thank goodness Marvel has Shang Chi to push?"

Because that is my very first and most honest reaction.

That's also my only possible reaction, as I'm not Asian. More specifically, I'm not Chinese.

Marvel actually has its own version of Wukong, a fairly minor character who was last seen briefly joining the Agents of Atlas only to seemingly sacrifice himself:

Monkey Prince here looks significantly more standard, and I mean...nothing wrong with standard Wukong, right? I'd honestly prefer Marvel going that route anyway.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel actually has its own version of Wukong, a fairly minor character who was last seen briefly joining the Agents of Atlas only to seemingly sacrifice himself:

Monkey Prince here looks significantly more standard, and I mean...nothing wrong with standard Wukong, right? I'd honestly prefer Marvel going that route anyway.

TIL!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm all for going into Chinese mythology but am I the only one disappointed that the thread indicates a new Asian superhero, and it's a monkey?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the key will be that they actually use the character in a meaningful way. The Great Ten, Ryan Choi, Dr. Light (Kimiyo), the Justice League of China (by the same author) and many other Asian DC characters are all under-utilized. Hopefully we start to see more than just Katana as a somewhat regular character in the comics.

Also, in somewhat related news - Superman Smashes the Klan, by the same author with gorgeous and timeless art by Gurihiru is one of my favorite comics in recent years. Everyone should read it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Striker Z wasn't good enough. Look who help debuted him?
51QtKJGETQL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg